Gears of War - General Discussion 2 - Re-release 6/24 w/Maps and Extras (No PC Stuff)

[quote name='dastly75']Perhaps it fixed that frequent connection error thing that has been popping up lately.[/QUOTE]

read my post... mark rein officially stated it's nothing gameplay wise... it's japan compatability issues being fixed.

Forgive me if I missed it in these huge threads, and for not googling it but wanting it from you all, but anyone have any quick tips for defeating RAAM?

I've cruised through hardcore fairly easily, but have tried to kill him 12 or more times and I'm not sure if I'm making progress. I think I need to shoot him when the "bats" are off of him, right? And I do not have a sniper weapon, just regular and shotgun. I've tried to man the trioka, but that doessn't seem to work. Dom keeps dying pretty quickly.

[quote name='Trevor']Forgive me if I missed it in these huge threads, and for not googling it but wanting it from you all, but anyone have any quick tips for defeating RAAM?

I've cruised through hardcore fairly easily, but have tried to kill him 12 or more times and I'm not sure if I'm making progress. I think I need to shoot him when the "bats" are off of him, right? And I do not have a sniper weapon, just regular and shotgun. I've tried to man the trioka, but that doessn't seem to work. Dom keeps dying pretty quickly.[/quote]

I used the Torque Bow and had about 12 rounds. You need to hit him when the bats aren't surrounding him to do damage. If you play long enough RAAM will get "stuck" behind Dom (when he is down) and not move forward to kill you - this is how I beat him and at that point it was pretty easy.

I just finished Act 1 on Hardcore last night and I'm having even more fun this time around since I'm better at aiming and reloading and just generally more familiar with how things work. I got 3 Achievements last night! Woo hoo!!!

[quote name='Trevor']Forgive me if I missed it in these huge threads, and for not googling it but wanting it from you all, but anyone have any quick tips for defeating RAAM?

I've cruised through hardcore fairly easily, but have tried to kill him 12 or more times and I'm not sure if I'm making progress. I think I need to shoot him when the "bats" are off of him, right? And I do not have a sniper weapon, just regular and shotgun. I've tried to man the trioka, but that doessn't seem to work. Dom keeps dying pretty quickly.[/quote]

Torque bow/sniper combo. Torque him to get the bats away and then headshot with sniper.

Thanks, but I don't have either of those weapons.

Am I screwed? Do I have to restart a few levels back and acculmulate ammo for both of those?

Probably not going to happen. There has to be a way to kill him without those two weapons...I hope.

[quote name='Trevor']Thanks, but I don't have either of those weapons.

Am I screwed? Do I have to restart a few levels back and acculmulate ammo for both of those?

Probably not going to happen. There has to be a way to kill him without those two weapons...I hope.[/quote]
The weapons are right on the last train part right before you open the door to General RAAM. Search the room, there should be 2 snipers (one on each side) and maybe 1 or 2 Torque Bow's.

Anyone notice the new update... I know there was one about a week ago for Japanese compatibility, but just last night I put it in to play and I get another update...? what was that? I thought everything was ok now?

I just got this game and been playing it in hardcore.....didnt realize it was gonna be this difficult but its so much fun.

EDIT: Can someone help me on the online play?

Im rather bad at it and am a noob to xbox live

Looks like more DLC is planned and really soon according to this:

GI: Congratulations on your success with Gears. You received many nominations for the AIAS awards. Is the Gears team on vacation, or are they thinking about Gears 2?
Rein: No, they’re still working on Gears. You saw that we put one update out, and we’ve got another one coming out another any day now—I’m not exactly sure when. We have another update in the works with a little surprise in it, and we have more downloadable content. We’re still working on making Gears a better game. You’ll have to wait and see what comes from that.

Interview from latest Game Informer magazine with Epic's Mark Rein.
http://www.xboxic.com/news/2305#more-2305

That is quite the tease from Mark Rein. During the EGM CliffyB interview, CliffyB was asked about the lack of a party system and playing ranked games with friends and he made it pretty clear that Epic is aware how important these issues are with the fans. If Mark Rein isn't hinting at a party/matchmaking system then he is a very cruel man.

:drool:

I can't wait. I've been playing non-stop lately (I just finished Act 3 on Hardcore) and any new content is always welcome - especially if it is free. I don't think I'll ever come close to getting all of the achievements though. I only have 16 out of 49 right now and those online ranked ones are really tough to get.

[quote name='lordopus99']I pray all the time that they fix host team advantage. It is more important than team party.[/quote]

fuck yeah, I hate getting killed with one shotgun shot everytime.

If they continue to release this kind of content (adjustments, fixes, new maps, etc), then I've got to say that GoW goes from a meh game to a great one for me, and hopefully encourages other studios to shy away from the "release and be done with it" mentality.

This "suprise" had better be a goddamn party feature for Ranked games. I've been wanting to get those achievments.

Doesn't really need the party system since it is already fairly easy to get into friends games, anyways. And why would they do everything they can to prohibit friends from playing in ranked matches together when they planned on introducing a party system? That doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully it's more maps, costumes/skins, better stat tracking, new game modes, and more adjustments to the weapons.

[quote name='soxfan30']I'm always up for a Capture the Flag type game in Gears of War.[/quote]+ Attack and Defend

edit: just realized, though, that with new game types one or more of the achievements would have to be redone. Specifically the "win a match in every gametype" achievement.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']+ Attack and Defend

edit: just realized, though, that with new game types one or more of the achievements would have to be redone. Specifically the "win a match in every gametype" achievement.[/quote]

Lucky for us that already got it ;)

Honestly, I just wish they could give us a lobby mini-game instead of having to sit there and wait for ranked matches (and even player matches sometimes) to fill up. Playing lobby sucks.

Am I the only person that would really prefer more co-op type additions to the game?

I would really like to see more single player stuff, or missions that maybe 4 people can play co-op in.

I think you play too much gears when you have dreams about playing gears.

nothing special, It was just a regular dream about me playing gears last night. suffice to say it was a good dream though. :)

[quote name='thrustbucket']Am I the only person that would really prefer more co-op type additions to the game?

I would really like to see more single player stuff, or missions that maybe 4 people can play co-op in.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. I hate it when DC becomes all about multiplayer.

My guess is that people won't be happy that the update will probably not be clan type stuff or team stuff, but more like a new weapon of some sort... but whatever.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']My guess is that people won't be happy that the update will probably not be clan type stuff or team stuff, but more like a new weapon of some sort... but whatever.[/quote]

I REALLY hope that it is NOT a new weapon. That would unbalance the gamer further.

[quote name='CAG 79']I completely agree. I hate it when DC becomes all about multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Epic said before launch that all DLC would be mp stuff though. As much as I'd love to see another Act, or maybe one of the current Acts from the pov of Cole and Baird, I don't see if happening.

If they don't get a better party system, I'm probably done with this game... Finished the campaign on insane, and i HATE playing ranked with random people. Custom is hard to get good matches going unless I have at least 5 other friends on line. I really would love matchmaking...

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']I REALLY hope that it is NOT a new weapon. That would unbalance the gamer further.[/quote]

Until we found out what the weapon was, that makes no sense.

I highly doubt the DLC will be single player content or any type of new weapon.

they don't have any contact. i'm sure for good reason. but i'd like to send them my two cents about their "improved" versus for GOW. why the lack of host name? how are u supposed to find your buddy hosting? and how about still letting the teams not be able to hear eachother in between rounds when one team doesn't die so both teams can strategize?

Wow. Epic is an amazing developer. They are only "following" the rules that microsoft put down. Until they found out the specifics of the whole ranked match thing that is.

It wont be single player or co-op content...that would require way to much work. I am banking on a party system because did epic recently find out what microsoft does and doesnt allow in ranked matches. Wasnt a party system something they allow( halo 3 will have it)

I'm sure they'll care about your opinion.

You know... especially since you already purchased the product.

Besides new content there are 2 fixes I want them to make and the game will be just about perfect.

1. Take off the 1-bodyshot downing with an active reloaded sniper
2. Take the stun off of the melees

I'm not sure they could do anything about host advantage except for giving the host slightly less health. That might just cause more problems though.

[quote name='Puzznic']Besides new content there are 2 fixes I want them to make and the game will be just about perfect.

1. Take off the 1-bodyshot downing with an active reloaded sniper

I'm not sure they could do anything about host advantage except for giving the host slightly less health. That might just cause more problems though.[/quote]
1. That is the point of active reloads, extra damage.
2. Why else melee if it has no advantage (that is, no stun)?

[quote name='Puzznic']
[/QUOTE]

I'd be useless then due to the fact that I rarely shoot anymore and just pistol whip everybody... I've gotten more kills/downs that way than I ever have with gun shots.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'd be useless then due to the fact that I rarely shoot anymore and just pistol whip everybody... I've gotten more kills/downs that way than I ever have with gun shots.[/QUOTE]
I hope you know, that is regarded as "pussy shit" online. Pistol whippers are looked upon worse than grenade taggers.

I myself don't really care. I mean it sucks, but I can deal with it. There's been a lot more rampant cheating. I'm seeing a lot more of the "running and gunning" glitch. Hopefully, that is fixed in this suprise update.

[quote name='zewone']I hope you know, that is regarded as "pussy shit" online. Pistol whippers are looked upon worse than grenade taggers.

I myself don't really care. I mean it sucks, but I can deal with it. There's been a lot more rampant cheating. I'm seeing a lot more of the "running and gunning" glitch. Hopefully, that is fixed in this suprise update.[/QUOTE]

...??? I play pistol and shotgun only now and they say that? at least I give people chances to come by. I say it's even and if anything there's nothing stopping them from pistol shooting then comming in for a whip....

I still feel like people favor long range a little too much over close action... (ie. if you can't tell, I dont like longshots or the like)

[quote name='zewone']I hope you know, that is regarded as "pussy shit" online. Pistol whippers are looked upon worse than grenade taggers.[/quote]I dunno, I can understand pistol whipping in close range when you have it out due to the fact that it's useless otherwise and it takes too long to switch weapons at that point.
Using it exclusively for whipping? Yeah, "pussy shit."

I'm hoping for clans and (as always) a party system.

bread's done
Back