General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='Gator']As a sports fan and a Tech fan, I know I have no room to talk badly about UGA in relative to GaTech (luckily, I don't have the same problem with being a fan of UF). While your frequent flyer miles line was pretty damned funny (it's true, and it was a pretty creative cut-down), you, as a UGA fan, don't have much room to talk this year... from what I can recall, GaTech is playing for an appearance in a BCS bowl this Saturday, and UGA is left to watch the Gators play on Saturday for their shot in a BCS bowl.

Two things to preempt a rebuttal:
#1 - Yes, I agree that the BCS system is crap, and GaTech doesn't deserve a spot should they win (much like the Big East champion; although UGA doesn't have much to say about that either given their performance against WVU last year).
#2 - If GaTech loses on Saturday, there's a good chance they're playing UGA again in the Peach Bowl. UGA definitely did a heck of a job saving their miserable season in the past two weeks.

Anyhow, anyone seen any Wii accessories (of the controller type) around? I could use an extra nunchuck, wiimote, or classic controller. Thanks![/quote]

seen a couple at eb :) and im a Tech fan all the way

[quote name='Gator']As a sports fan and a Tech fan, I know I have no room to talk badly about UGA in relative to GaTech (luckily, I don't have the same problem with being a fan of UF). While your frequent flyer miles line was pretty damned funny (it's true, and it was a pretty creative cut-down), you, as a UGA fan, don't have much room to talk this year... from what I can recall, GaTech is playing for an appearance in a BCS bowl this Saturday, and UGA is left to watch the Gators play on Saturday for their shot in a BCS bowl.

#1 - Yes, I agree that the BCS system is crap, and GaTech doesn't deserve a spot should they win (much like the Big East champion; although UGA doesn't have much to say about that either given their performance against WVU last year).
#2 - If GaTech loses on Saturday, there's a good chance they're playing UGA again in the Peach Bowl. UGA definitely did a heck of a job saving their miserable season in the past two weeks.

Anyhow, anyone seen any Wii accessories (of the controller type) around? I could use an extra nunchuck, wiimote, or classic controller. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Good rebuttal.

As a UGA fan, 8-4 is disappointing. To a Tech fan, 8-4 is a decent year.

Picked up an extra Wii nunchuk at the Super WalMart on Cobb Parkway in Marietta last night. They had about 5 or 6 of them and a bunch of remotes. No classic controllers.

Hit the Best Buy in Edgewood tonight to pick up a Print Server.... as I was walking out, I noticed a bin of 14.99 DS games, so I took a look. I was pretty surprised to see that newer games such as Yoshi's Island DS, Mario v Donkey Kong 2, and Mario Hoops 3 on 3 were in there. I grabbed them and went to the counter, and asked the nice lady to scan them for me to verify that they were 14.99... they weren't, and the manager came over and pretty much said "eh, whatev... we got it wrong and you caught us" and gave them to me for 14.99!
I'm not sure how quickly they're fixing that little issue, but if you're in the area, you should definitely check it out!

#2 - If GaTech loses on Saturday, there's a good chance they're playing UGA again in the Peach Bowl. UGA definitely did a heck of a job saving their miserable season in the past two weeks.[/quote]

I'm a UGA alum and agree on every single point.

Has anyone seen Phoenix Wright in Atlanta? I've seen a bunch in Microcenter for $29 but I heard TRU has it for $19 but my local TRU doesn't have any.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Has anyone seen Phoenix Wright in Atlanta? I've seen a bunch in Microcenter for $29 but I heard TRU has it for $19 but my local TRU doesn't have any.[/QUOTE]

No, and I've been looking (though not hard). Probably best to just get it online.

[quote name='Wolfkin']Has anyone seen Phoenix Wright in Atlanta? I've seen a bunch in Microcenter for $29 but I heard TRU has it for $19 but my local TRU doesn't have any.[/QUOTE]

I actually just picked up a copy of it tonight at the Kennesaw Circuit City. I went looking at Toys R Us and didn't find any. I've never seen it for less than $30.

I've been to a number of the atl-area TRUs and have yet to find a Phoenix Wright. For any price.

Both MicroCenters had them at last check. Various CCs and a few BBs. Call first and ask before heading out to save a trip.

edit: Tybee, you still haven't picked Phoenix up? The new one is coming out soon, ya know. Preorder at EB and get the nifty stylus.

[quote name='guinaevere']edit: Tybee, you still haven't picked Phoenix up? The new one is coming out soon, ya know. Preorder at EB and get the nifty stylus.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Somehow it slipped through the cracks. It's not for lack of wanting it. Just haven't had the time to play it with so much stuff coming out. Will get it soon.

Can I officially put out an APB for a Wii nunchuk? If you see one, grab it for me and I will buy you a drink or coffee (plus the price of the nunchuk, obviously) when I pick it up. I'm tired of running around looking for one.

Are we ever going to have a Wii party? I STILL haven't gotten a chance to play one yet. It looks like it will be a while until I get one for myself and I feel like life is passing me by.....

I'll supply the Tostitos.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Are we ever going to have a Wii party? I STILL haven't gotten a chance to play one yet. It looks like it will be a while until I get one for myself and I feel like life is passing me by.....

I'll supply the Tostitos.[/quote]

Eeeeeasy, big spender.;)

[quote name='Tybee']Can I officially put out an APB for a Wii nunchuk? If you see one, grab it for me and I will buy you a drink or coffee (plus the price of the nunchuk, obviously) when I pick it up. I'm tired of running around looking for one.[/quote]

I'll keep an eye out for yah, but I haven't seen a single one since release day.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I'll keep an eye out for yah, but I haven't seen a single one since release day.[/quote]

Same here for my store.

[quote name='neocisco']Eeeeeasy, big spender.;)[/QUOTE]

Alright. I'll throw in some salsa too. But only the Kroger brand.

Seriously, though....I'd like to have a game night. It would be fun to meet everybody. Just a thought....

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Alright. I'll throw in some salsa too. But only the Kroger brand.

Seriously, though....I'd like to have a game night. It would be fun to meet everybody. Just a thought....[/QUOTE]

It might be better to wait until just after the New Year when WarioWare: Smooth Moves will be out. Wii Sports is enough fodder for a party all by itself, but it'll be nice to have some other options. Elebits will be out by then too, which has a four-player mode.

Then we can have another one when Wii Play and Mario Party 8 come out a month or so after that. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']It might be better to wait until just after the New Year when WarioWare: Smooth Moves will be out. Wii Sports is enough fodder for a party all by itself, but it'll be nice to have some other options. Elebits will be out by then too, which has a four-player mode.

Then we can have another one when Wii Play and Mario Party 8 come out a month or so after that. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sounds good to me. If people are serious about it, we should start planning now. It's hard enough getting together with my friends that I have known for a while, much less getting a group of people who have never met (mostly, anyway) together.

Obviously, step 1 is finding the poor lucky person willing to host the shindig. I would be willing, but my 1-bedroom apartment would probably be an ill fit. However, I wouldn't merely pawn off this on someone. I'd be more than willing to take the lead and do my fair share in helping get it organized, etc...

If others are willing, let's put our collective heads together and come up with a plan. If most aren't interested, then that's cool too. I'll just take my ball and go home...;)

I'd volunteer my house, but I'm not sure how my wife would feel about that. Actually, I am sure, which is why I'm reluctant.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Sounds good to me. If people are serious about it, we should start planning now.[/quote]Well... um... I'll have to think about this.

I'd love to have y'all over and the entertainment room is big enough for a bunch of folks to play together... the only problem is err... *cringes* what do y'all think about meeting my crazy Mum? Actually it's more like, "now Mom, I've invited some total strangers to come over and play games."

As I say, I'll have to think about this if no other venue is ideally suited for a Wii Party. But keep in mind the houes ground rules, no cussing, which is highlighted by no JCs or GDs or stuff like that. No smoking if you please, and no booze. I know that doesn't make for the party everyone is hoping for, but if nothing else pans out and if that's something everyone can deal with, I'll seriously see about how to get around the Mater issue.

EDIT: unrelated but I wanted to mention that the EB in Hiram has a used copy of Disagea in as of this afternoon and it was stickered for $39.99. I have no idea which print it is, or if that's a good price. But I know that's hard to come by and wanted to give a heads up if anyone is searching.

[quote name='guinaevere']Well... um... I'll have to think about this.

I'd love to have y'all over and the entertainment room is big enough for a bunch of folks to play together... the only problem is err... *cringes* what do y'all think about meeting my crazy Mum? Actually it's more like, "now Mom, I've invited some total strangers to come over and play games."

As I say, I'll have to think about this if no other venue is ideally suited for a Wii Party. But keep in mind the houes ground rules, no cussing, which is highlighted by no JCs or GDs or stuff like that. No smoking if you please, and no booze. I know that doesn't make for the party everyone is hoping for, but if nothing else pans out and if that's something everyone can deal with, I'll seriously see about how to get around the Mater issue.
[/QUOTE]
That's a very generous offer. If it's too much, then we can explore other options, or just even meet up for dinner and no gaming. Either way, it would be cool to meet everybody..

Thanks again. If that turns out to be the plan, I'm more than willing to help get things organized, planned, etc...:)

This is an FYI for Tybee on the Nunchuck front.

I couldn't sit still this evening so I went out to the Wally on Dallas Hwy. No nunchucks BUT there was a sign about them getting Wiis in tomorrow morning (the sign noted that the line for them would be in X department starting at 8am or so). Anyway, I asked about Nunchuck and they weren't sure but they're hoping for them, along with all other controllers.

So. It might be worth a stop at a local Walmart tomorrow morning before work. Or at the very least, a call to your local Wally.

Earlier this week someone mentioned Phoenix Wright for $19.99 at TRU. I hadn't seen them. Until this afternoon in Douglasville. They currently have four in stock for 19.99 each.

And just because I like talking in here, I have to vent.

We don't have Game Crazy in this state, only Hollywood Video. Fine, fine. I happened into the HV in Hiram the other day and figured I'd browse the used games for sale. Those marked 9.99 or less are actually 4/$20. Nice sale.

EXCEPT THAT THEY DONT COME WITH ORIGINAL ARTWORK OR INSTRUCTIONS!!! Hollywood has these uuuuuuuugly print ups which they use on their rental games. It has a shrunk image of the original cover picture framed by blue or purple or green (depending on the console) and a lovely Hollywood Video logo image on the front, and basic controller fuctions on on the back.

ARGH!!!

I saw a couple Atlus titles that I'd like to pick up, a couple games on my Bro's lists and another game I can't find cheap anywhere... but I just can't do it. I can live without the instructions if I have to, but that horrible excuse for a cover sleeve?!

piffle.

[quote name='guinaevere'] I can live without the instructions if I have to, but that horrible excuse for a cover sleeve?![/QUOTE]

If you have access to a good printer you could always print a replacement cover sleeve. There are a number of sites where you can download them, such as http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers.php

I have done that a few times with some of the cheap used DVDs that Moviestop sells in plain cases.

ooooooooh. That's a very useful link to have. Thank you. I might have to actually open the printer some year and see what sort of quality image I can print up.

Don't laugh but now the cheap @$$ voice in the back of my head is saying, "that'll eat up all your ink."
blush.gif

Call off the nunchuk dogs. I managed to snag one when they were (briefly) available on ebgames.com this week.

Man, I would love to have one of those Phoenix Wrights...Is it worth suggesting a trip to my inlaws just so we drive by there...Hmmmm... ;)

Tybee,

If you'd rather go to Alpharetta, the CC on North Point Parkway had 4 or 5 Phoenix Wrights last weekend, at $30 a pop however. Just another option.

[quote name='Tybee']Man, I would love to have one of those Phoenix Wrights...Is it worth suggesting a trip to my inlaws just so we drive by there...Hmmmm... ;)[/quote]And take the inlaws to Gumbeauxs. What a great day!!

I just recently started hitting up CAG, which is right up my alley seeing as I'm a deal whore. Anybody in ATL seen a copy of advanced wars dual strike for 20 or less? I live more towards the Austell/Mableton area, so the closer to me the better.

I'd also be willing to buy a copy off someone if they're willing to meet me.

I'm additionaly looking for final fantasy 4 on GBA.

Anyone see any B&M deals on LCDs? Dad and I are looking to get one for the female parental unit and the cheapest we can find is a $129.99 HP refurb at Microcenter. We've shopped there for a long time and are pretty comftorble buying refurbs from them. We don't want to order online because of shipping.

Edit - We're looking for a 17".

[quote name='magicite']Anybody in ATL seen a copy of advanced wars dual strike for 20 or less? I'm additionaly looking for final fantasy 4 on GBA.[/quote]I'll keep an eye out for ya.

[quote name='such great heights']Anyone see any B&M deals on LCDs? Dad and I are looking to get one for the female parental unit and the cheapest we can find is a $129.99 HP refurb at Microcenter. [/quote]What size are you looking for?

[quote name='magicite']I'm additionaly looking for final fantasy 4 on GBA.[/quote]The EB I shop at here in Macon had a cart-only FF4 Advance in their used bag-o'-GB/C/A-games. Don't recall the price offhand, since I own the game (huge fan, I'm sure no one would have guessed, ever), but I can check it out sometime. They may still have the stackable discounts thing going on.

Macon is some distance away from Atlanta, though.

/edit/
Though honestly, I'm not sure you'll get away better at EB than Amazon's $19 for a new FF4A. IIRC, Amazon ships for free on orders of $25 or more, if you wanted to buy a book or something to nudge it up there.

Are you looking for it to be brand new? Craigslist has plenty of good deals on it. I recently saw a 22 inch dell go for 200. If your mom won't be using the thing too terribly often a lightly used lcd will last her for years.

I'd offer this one http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sys/246913302.html
100 dollars and see what they say. If you look for a few days you could probably find something for even below 100, but you'd have to look pretty hard. LCD's don't really drop below a 100.

[quote name='magicite']I just recently started hitting up CAG, which is right up my alley seeing as I'm a deal whore. Anybody in ATL seen a copy of advanced wars dual strike for 20 or less? I live more towards the Austell/Mableton area, so the closer to me the better.

I'd also be willing to buy a copy off someone if they're willing to meet me.

I'm additionaly looking for final fantasy 4 on GBA.[/quote]
I'm quoting again, just so to make it easy for me to reference...

I was just at my local BBGameRush (Ridge Road, Hiram) and they had Advance Wars Dual Strike Used for 14.99 and FFIV used for 19.99. Both had their boxes, though I didn't ask them to open to check for instructions. But with the current promotion of 25% off, those are not bad deals.

If you're interested, I could pick up for you and meet ya in a public place. Lemme know either way.

[quote name='guinaevere'] But with the current promotion of 25% off, those are not bad deals. [/QUOTE] ????? what promotion is that?

I think I'll head up to hiram and pick up advanced wars tomorrow. Is that EB near the super target and all the other new stuff that popped up in Hiram?

Also, anyone hear any Wii rumors lately? I have a few friends who have been looking for them, so if you know of any stores expecting on certain dates, a heads up would be awesome.

[quote name='Gator']????? what promotion is that?[/quote]All used (non next gen games) are 25% off.

[quote name='magicite']I think I'll head up to hiram and pick up advanced wars tomorrow. Is that EB near the super target and all the other new stuff that popped up in Hiram?[/quote]Well there is a nice EB by the Super Target in Hiram. But the games I saw were at the BlockBuster GameRush store on Ridge Road in Hiram. Not terribly far from that SuperTarget area... about er... 17 minutes with traffic.

Basically at the main four-way intersection (lets see there's an Eckerds, a Hollywood Video & Chic-fil-A, a closed down Publix and at the other corner a small used car lot...) go south on 92 till you hit a three-way intersection with a light... there's a junkyard on your left, and you want to turn right onto Ridge Road. Stay straight on Ridge past the ballpark on your right, till you hit a little shopping center on your right with Kroger and BlockBuster. That's your destination.

Just doing a search now, the address technically puts the store in Douglasville, but I'm about 101% positive its Hiram.
4869 Ridge Road
Douglasville, GA 30134 678.838.3826

TsuyoiMomonga, what do you think? Douglasville or Hiram?

Technically the address is Douglasville (we get our mail from the Douglasville post office), but if you ask anyone, they'll tell you Hiram.

EDIT: By the way, has anyone seen any Wiimotes or Wii Points at BBGamerushes? I have a ton of credit that's been sitting there since the summer just waiting to be used.

[quote name='guinaevere']And take the inlaws to Gumbeauxs. What a great day!![/QUOTE]

Well, the Mrs. went out there on Saturday to meet her mom and go Christmas shopping and see a movie. I told her to pass along the hint to Santa, so we'll see if he got the tip come Christmas.

[quote name='magicite']I think I'll head up to hiram and pick up advanced wars tomorrow. Is that EB near the super target and all the other new stuff that popped up in Hiram?

Also, anyone hear any Wii rumors lately? I have a few friends who have been looking for them, so if you know of any stores expecting on certain dates, a heads up would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

I stepped into the Johns Creek EB last night, and when a lady asked about Wiis, she was told that they'd have some in NEXT Sunday (17th). Might want to give them a call.

[quote name='TsuyoiMomonga']Technically the address is Douglasville (we get our mail from the Douglasville post office), but if you ask anyone, they'll tell you Hiram.

EDIT: By the way, has anyone seen any Wiimotes or Wii Points at BBGamerushes? I have a ton of credit that's been sitting there since the summer just waiting to be used.[/QUOTE]

The Kennesaw GameRush has cards hanging on pegs with pictures of all 3 controller types and point cards. Not sure if they have the actual items in stock, but it might be worth a phone call.

[quote name='rupan_sansei']The Kennesaw GameRush has cards hanging on pegs with pictures of all 3 controller types and point cards. Not sure if they have the actual items in stock, but it might be worth a phone call.[/quote]

Do you know what the address is? I tried looking it up on the site and they didn't have one listed in Kennesaw. Also, I've never really thought to look, but I'm kind of considering buying a 360 so I can have it available to review games with, so is it a common thing for a Gamerush to carry new Xbox 360s?

[quote name='TsuyoiMomonga']Do you know what the address is? I tried looking it up on the site and they didn't have one listed in Kennesaw. Also, I've never really thought to look, but I'm kind of considering buying a 360 so I can have it available to review games with, so is it a common thing for a Gamerush to carry new Xbox 360s?[/quote]

I know there's a BB across from the strip mall with Barnes & Noble/Starbucks, Gamestop, thatusedCDstore and Cingular, a hop and a skip from Town Center. There's an ABC in the same strip mall as BB.

While it's "in Kennesaw" the Postal Service claims that area is in Marietta.

I think it's this one:

2941 Shallowford Rd
Marietta, GA 30060

[quote name='TsuyoiMomonga']Do you know what the address is? I tried looking it up on the site and they didn't have one listed in Kennesaw.[/quote]
Possibly thats the Blockbuster Gamerush on 41? It would be lets see... north? from the 41 (CobbParkway)/ Barrett Parkway intersection.

Also, I've never really thought to look, but I'm kind of considering buying a 360 so I can have it available to review games with, so is it a common thing for a Gamerush to carry new Xbox 360s?
I think so. I've seen 360 boxes with $399 prices at our local BBGR since the beginning of the year, so you could probably pick one up right there.

[quote name='guinaevere']I think so. I've seen 360 boxes with $399 prices at our local BBGR since the beginning of the year, so you could probably pick one up right there.[/quote]

Nice. I'll prolly start building up credit there again so I can buy it. It'll definitely be a while before I have enough, though... that is, unless they have a good deal soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back