General Fighting Game Thread #48 Turbo - !quote 16 ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to GameCrazy today to pre-order SFIV. The guy there was pretty cool.. apparently they're having a tournament that no one has signed up for yet. I have work that day but I might take off to participate. We talked about random shit for like 20 minutes: the tournament, the TE stick, SFIV, arcades, how he wants to start one, Fallout 3, FEAR 2, a bunch of shit. It was great.. but when he was talking about starting an arcade.. it got me thinking. That might be a great idea.. there aren't any real arcades in Baltimore. I know the economy is poor right now.. and with SFIV coming out on consoles, the arcades will take a big hit... but it's still got me taking the idea seriously.

[quote name='PhrostByte']So I went to GameCrazy today to pre-order SFIV. The guy there was pretty cool.. apparently they're having a tournament that no one has signed up for yet. I have work that day but I might take off to participate. We talked about random shit for like 20 minutes: the tournament, the TE stick, SFIV, arcades, how he wants to start one, Fallout 3, FEAR 2, a bunch of shit. It was great.. but when he was talking about starting an arcade.. it got me thinking. That might be a great idea.. there aren't any real arcades in Baltimore. I know the economy is poor right now.. and with SFIV coming out on consoles, the arcades will take a big hit... but it's still got me taking the idea seriously.[/quote]

I have always thought about this, and I want to buy the arcade thats in the mall here in Virginia and turn it around.
The latest game they have is Soul Calibur 2.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I can't believe Fly Khicks are still on...

and I like Dynamic Edition. They're at least different compared to everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Yeah man. I hate it when they talk, and one of the girls has a nose that takes up the whole stage, but they're a lot of fun to watch and they add a bit of variety to the show.

Seriously can't believe Ringmasters got the boot though... they were by far the most creative group on the show. Fly Khicks are just like "oh, we're cheerleaders, but now we dance sometimes sorta." I mean yeah, they're more attractive than the guys in Ringmasters because they aren't guys, but they also are terrible.

[quote name='PhrostByte']So I went to GameCrazy today to pre-order SFIV. The guy there was pretty cool.. apparently they're having a tournament that no one has signed up for yet. I have work that day but I might take off to participate. We talked about random shit for like 20 minutes: the tournament, the TE stick, SFIV, arcades, how he wants to start one, Fallout 3, FEAR 2, a bunch of shit. It was great.. but when he was talking about starting an arcade.. it got me thinking. That might be a great idea.. there aren't any real arcades in Baltimore. I know the economy is poor right now.. and with SFIV coming out on consoles, the arcades will take a big hit... but it's still got me taking the idea seriously.[/QUOTE]Yeah man, I'm in Long Island and I gotta drive to New Jersey to get to a decent arcade. Thankfully 8 On The Break happens to be like a super-badass arcade (with amazing cheese steaks) but it sucks that I have to travel to a different state to get there! I miss when I could just go to a mall and BOOM, arcade. And Dave & Busters doesn't count either because all they have is DDR and racing games. :whistle2:(

Maaan the early 90's arcade landscape was the best around here. You could count on just about any mom-n-pop video store (or comic store, when those were around) to have something good! I had a ton of options within walking distance of my house.

Yea.. of course the biggest question is profitability. Everything else comes second. Still... it seems like a great idea to me. And who better to start an arcade than two video game nerds? I got a couple weeks to think about it.. the GameCrazy is about 15 miles from here and I won't be back there until I come to pick-up my SFIV... hopefully when I come, he'll be there, I can tell him I'm interested, and discuss some of my ideas.

beyond having to use regular 360 pads for the gamestop tourna-shit, they'll probably be using demo kiosk controllers, meaning they're almost certainly broken in some way from small children vomiting on them daily.

[quote name='jer7583']beyond having to use regular 360 pads for the gamestop tourna-shit, they'll probably be using demo kiosk controllers, meaning they're almost certainly broken in some way from small children vomiting on them daily.[/quote]

Which makes the experience arcade-perfect. :lol:

[quote name='PhrostByte'] but when he was talking about starting an arcade.. it got me thinking. That might be a great idea.. there aren't any real arcades in Baltimore. I know the economy is poor right now.. and with SFIV coming out on consoles, the arcades will take a big hit... but it's still got me taking the idea seriously.[/QUOTE]

My brother and I have pondered this idea several times for an arcade in the Baltimore area, mainly White Marsh after Tilt closed down several years ago. One of the reasons you don't see any "real" arcade in the area anymore is due to Maryland entertainment tax per machine, which would eat up a lot of revenue from operators, something like 10% of profit per machine not including other taxes and licensing per year. Tilt closed down due to the mall wanting them out, so they raised the rent on the space as a way to get rid of them. Tilt wasn't the best but at least they catered to some of the fighting game fans with Tekken 5 and MvC2.

If you are interest there is a distributor in the area that deals with sale of coin-op machines. He actually used to own Sports in Cockeysville and Boardwalk Fun in Harford Mall.

http://www.weinerd.com/

[quote name='PhrostByte']And who better to start an arcade than two video game nerds?[/QUOTE]haha very good point. I loved the old Nathan's around here, it was definitely the LARGEST local arcade, but you could tell that the staff didn't give a shit about their games. Once a controller was busted you could pretty much count on it being busted forever. Meanwhile at 8OTB it's common to see them doing "surgery" on an arcade cabinet just to get everything feeling right... it blew my mind the first time I went there and I saw half the machines with freshly-replaced controls!

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']if anyone in virginia wants to open an arcade with me, pm me.[/QUOTE]

If you provide all of the capital, I will do it.

I've heard also that many local governments HATE arcades because they're notorious for bringing down the land value because they suppossedly attract an undesirable element to the area. Thus the reason for the tax per machine to kill revenue and whatever other means they can say to avoid making your business venture succeed.

It's really a perception that's not in line with reality, but it's there. I know it was a part of the difficulties my family had in opening one at our mini-golf/driving range there. If we didn't have that attached business to up the land value, the arcade part wouldn't happen (IE: Bring in them white folk!) Just sad, pathetic local politics at play, really.

[quote name='Chacrana']If you provide all of the capital, I will do it.[/quote]

Hrmm.................Prestige WorldWide
Investors?....Maybe You?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeah man, I'm in Long Island and I gotta drive to New Jersey to get to a decent arcade.[/QUOTE]

Define "decent" arcade. What you are playing?

For fighters there is China Fair in China Town/Manhattan. Lots of people play there. They have every fighter there you'll ever want to play.

Also in terms of starting an arcade, I'm no expert, but is there a scene in MD? You'd be going up against some well established arcades/scenes in nearby areas. You'd have to ask yourself or research what you'd be offering to these existing scenes/casuals/top players that they aren't already getting in their own local arcades they haunt. Checking out the regional forums on SRK would be a start. There is a MD thread, start reading/asking where players there frequent. I'm sure MarkMan can shed a light.

East Coast:
-University Pinball (Philadelphia)
-China Fair (New York)
-Peter Pan Games (Bayside, NY)

West Coast:
FFA (Everywhere, CA)
Denjin (Simi Valley, CA)
Sunnyvale Golfland (Sunnyvale, CA)
Milpitas Golfland (Milpitas, CA)
Keystone II (San Jose, CA)
Planet Zero (Houston, TX)
UFO Arcade (Austin, TX)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asianxcore']Define "decent" arcade. What you are playing?

For fighters there is China Fair in China Town/Manhattan. Lots of people play there. They have every fighter there you'll ever want to play.

Also in terms of starting an arcade, I'm no expert, but is there a scene in MD? You'd be going up against some well established arcades/scenes in nearby areas. You'd have to ask yourself or research what you'd be offering to these existing scenes/casuals/top players that they aren't already getting in their own local arcades they haunt. Checking out the regional forums on SRK would be a start. There is a MD thread, start reading/asking where players there frequent. I'm sure MarkMan can shed a light.

East Coast:
-University Pinball (New Jersey)
-China Fair (New York)
-Peter Pan Games (Bayside, NY)

West Coast:
FFA (Everywhere, CA)
Denjin (Simi Valley, CA)
Sunnyvale Golfland (Sunnyvale, CA)
Milpitas Golfland (Milpitas, CA)
Keystone II (San Jose, CA)
Planet Zero (Houston, TX)
UFO Arcade (Austin, TX)[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up, University Pinball is in Philly.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Just a heads up, University Pinball is in Philly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jim! :)

I posted those as examples as arcades that obviously the respective scenes have embraced. They obviously offer varying things (selection/imports, stick/button maintenance, GREAT COMPETITION, etc.) to keep people coming.

[quote name='PhrostByte']So I went to GameCrazy today to pre-order SFIV. The guy there was pretty cool.. apparently they're having a tournament that no one has signed up for yet. I have work that day but I might take off to participate. We talked about random shit for like 20 minutes: the tournament, the TE stick, SFIV, arcades, how he wants to start one, Fallout 3, FEAR 2, a bunch of shit. It was great.. but when he was talking about starting an arcade.. it got me thinking. That might be a great idea.. there aren't any real arcades in Baltimore. I know the economy is poor right now.. and with SFIV coming out on consoles, the arcades will take a big hit... but it's still got me taking the idea seriously.[/quote]

Here's a question. Where near Baltimore is there a Gamecrazy? Official Gamecrazys (with the pre-order coin) are pretty much nowhere to be found... the closest being in Annapolis.

[quote name='asianxcore']Define "decent" arcade. What you are playing?

For fighters there is China Fair in China Town/Manhattan. Lots of people play there. They have every fighter there you'll ever want to play.[/QUOTE]My definition of "decent" is basically that it has games with joysticks. A surprising rarity in arcades these days! I'll definitely have to check out that Manhattan arcade sometime.

I guess I should revise my statement to read "I gotta cross a bridge to get to a decent arcade."

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'll definitely have to check out that Manhattan arcade sometime.
[/QUOTE]

Not that I need to encourage you to check this place out, but this list (of cabinets they have) is courtesy of Nohoho from SRK. Updated around the beginning of 12/08. Listed from most played on a regular night to least. Enjoy! :)

Chinatown Fair

Street Fighter IV (x2)
Tekken 6
Melty Blood Actress Again
Blaz Blue
Street Fighter III - Third Strike (x2)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (x3)

Capcom vs. SNK 2
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (x2)
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Puzzle Fighter

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom 1
King of Fighters '98
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Arcana Heart 2

Samurai Shodown 5
Street Fighter III - Second Impact
Soul Calibur II
SNK vs. Capcom Chaos
Marvel Super Heroes
The Rumble Fish 2

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']fuck yeah! got paid today! finally!

I don't know what to do >_<

probably pay off SFIV[/quote]

Yes, and get Super Turbo.

My local arcade is a Brunswick Zone. Current Lineup:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Broken)
DDR Extreme 2
Pump It Up (either this or In the Groove) (Broken)
Neo Geo 4-slot with KOF 94, Samsho 1, Fatal Fury, and Crossed Swords
Some shitty racing game

Yep. They also have this weird system where you can't use money - you hafta use like a card or something, but I dunno where to get those or how to put money on them. Technology's just gotten too nuts for me.

Shoot, I should let people play games at mah house and charge them like hella $$!

[quote name='Chacrana']Shoot, I should let people play games at mah house and charge them like hella $$![/QUOTE]

This. My house is my arcade. I've got more games than anyone in the area.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Yes, and get Super Turbo.[/quote]

I'm extremely happy to say I paid off SFIV :bouncy:

Today was my first time getting paid for a my job in 5 months >_

Man, people can get real bitchy about throws online. I was practicing with Bison a little while ago, and I play another Bison. I beat him in one match, then continue on, and i get a message from him. He's apparently furious, and starts complaining that all I did was Psycho Crusher back and forth into throws, and told me that Bison players like me are the reason Bison has a bad reputation. :lol:

I messaged him back, telling him that it was his problem if he couldn't win, learn from what happened, and that the next time he plays someone similar to me, he might know how to win.

...Bison has a bad reputation? :lol:

nice! try to figure out why I'm happy about this:

image57.png

[quote name='Mr. Beef']...Bison has a bad reputation? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Dude, he's the fucking dictator of Thailand, lord of Shadaloo (シャドルー, Shadorū, sometimes spelled as "Shadoloo", "Shadowloo" or "Shadowlaw"), of course he's got a bad rep.

Killing is his business, and business is good. . .

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Man, people can get real bitchy about throws online. I was practicing with Bison a little while ago, and I play another Bison. I beat him in one match, then continue on, and i get a message from him. He's apparently furious, and starts complaining that all I did was Psycho Crusher back and forth into throws, and told me that Bison players like me are the reason Bison has a bad reputation. :lol:

I messaged him back, telling him that it was his problem if he couldn't win, learn from what happened, and that the next time he plays someone similar to me, he might know how to win.

...Bison has a bad reputation? :lol:[/quote]:rofl: Beef, when you play online make sure you look for a guy named oberfurher56 and do alot of throws on him.
So you get messages like this:[quote name='Duy Nguyen @ SRK']Check this out...

His mail:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Duy123/funny1.jpg

My reply:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Duy123/funny2.jpg

His reply to my reply:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Duy123/funny3.jpg

Too funny.[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mr. Beef']What made Bison want to rule Thailand of all places? I guess nobody would bother looking for him there, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Tony Jaa, huge rice exporting (#1 in the world baby!), delicious food, cheap hookers, and Muay Thai. Who wouldn't want to rule that?

DUDE! That was the guy I played against! :rofl:

Maybe I should unblock him, now that I know that he hates being thrown. Think he'd get furious if I Tony Hawk lock him?

[quote name='Mr. Beef']DUDE! That was the guy I played against! :rofl:

Maybe I should unblock him, now that I know that he hates being thrown. Think he'd get furious if I Tony Hawk lock him?[/quote]He'll probably ragequit then send you a message.

@SmallWind: :rofl::rofl::rofl:HOLY SHIT!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

CAGer PaRappa/GMRTAG said he got his TE stick from Barnes & Noble today. I wonder when Capcom will be sending out mine?

[quote name='MarkMan']RR: Good shit! Now save that money for EVO2K9!

And I TOLD Ya'll about Battle Fantasia... :p[/QUOTE]

Indeed. So I assume this is Battle Fantasia in ghetto mode?

[quote name='Chacrana']My local arcade is a Brunswick Zone. Current Lineup:

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Broken)
DDR Extreme 2
Pump It Up (either this or In the Groove) (Broken)
Neo Geo 4-slot with KOF 94, Samsho 1, Fatal Fury, and Crossed Swords
Some shitty racing game

Yep. They also have this weird system where you can't use money - you hafta use like a card or something, but I dunno where to get those or how to put money on them. Technology's just gotten too nuts for me.

Shoot, I should let people play games at mah house and charge them like hella $$![/quote]

Are you talking about the brunswick zone by fox valley mall (now called "westfield" or something like that)?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Are you talking about the brunswick zone by fox valley mall (now called "westfield" or something like that)?[/QUOTE]

It's not by Fox Valley Mall. It's the one that's on Aurora... it's sorta close, though. Probably the same one you're thinking of actually. So yes, that one.

i want battle fantasia. so i want tekken 5 dr but i can't seem to justify the $30 price tag on it. is it worth it? does anybody want to lend me their psn account so i can download it? any info would help.

[quote name='gigan54']i want battle fantasia. so i want tekken 5 dr but i can't seem to justify the $30 price tag on it. is it worth it? does anybody want to lend me their psn account so i can download it? any info would help.[/QUOTE]

Begging for tekken is bad form. If you want it for 6 bucks, go start a gameshare group for it. Wrong thread for that stuff. Also, the game is great and looks gorgeous at 1080p @ 60fps. Online isnt too great, especially when youve played HD Remix on XBLA, that is at the moment the gold standard for console fighting online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back