Get the Heavy Rain Demo Early--"Precinct 52" website

PseudoFinrod

CAGiversary!
Found this info on Kotaku. A website entitled "Precinct 52" has been set up where one can submit "evidence" to get a code for the Heavy Rain demo. Here is the URL:

http://www.precinct52.com/case1117_briefing

Here's the Kotaku article, complete with the list of clues to be submitted (which may or may not constitute spoilers if you want to figure them out on your own):

http://kotaku.com/5464839/want-the-heavy-rain-demo-right-now-heres-how

The catch? As of now, the Precinct 52 site appears to be having some problems. "We are currently working to address some site issues caused by overwhelming demand.
Sincere apologies for the delay, and please check back shortly."

Hopefully, it will be up and running again soon. I'm pretty eager to try this game out :)

[quote name='gargus']Good find on the demo.

Im really tempted but much like I do with metal gear games I avoid demos, videos, interviews, reviews, articles, commercials, pictures or anything that might spoil something for me. This is one of the few games I wanted to be as surprised as possible when I play it and go into it with a clean slate.[/QUOTE]

I can promise you it won't spoil anything. You play a small portion of Jayden's crime scene investigation and a portion of Shelby's investigation. The only thing revealed is back story. You should give it a shot. If you've watched any recent videos, you won't be seeing anything new.

I've got two UK codes for anyone who wants them. If you take them, please reply saying so.

JHFB-2KB4-J6A5

N979-9DBJ-LAEN

demo is pretty cool. that fight scene was pretty intense, and the QTE idea is pretty cool but i felt the things like walking up the hill were kind of tedious and not really necessary.

[quote name='Tardcore']I've got two UK codes for anyone who wants them. If you take them, please reply saying so.[/QUOTE]

Redeemed the second code, thanks!

I just played the Heavy Rain demo and wanted to lay out my opinion.

Wow. This game is intense. The atmosphere, the music, and the story are all heart-gripping in such an amazing sense. The controls I will need to get used to, but that was pretty much the only thing I had a problem with, but my dislike will eventually go away after I'm more accustomed.

The first part of the demo shows off some amazing button-sequenced fighting. It's not typical video game fighting, but more along the lines of real fighting. You know, two guys struggling, trying to dodge each others cheap blows while bouncing off furniture and walls. That's something I've never really seen in video games before. It's been toyed with in a few games, but never this in depth. There are several ways the fight could go. If you hit the wrong button, you might miss dodging a punch or maybe miss your chance to smash a bottle over the other guys' head, which will change the fight. I hope to see much more of this in the full game.

The second part, while not as good as the first, was still pretty cool. The second part showed off the criminal investigation style of the game. Searching for clues at a murder scene in a heavy down-pour. This is where the atmosphere part comes in along with the interaction with other characters. The voice-acting is pretty good as the characters feel real and not like people paid to do a voice-over.

So in other words, Heavy Rain is laid out like a movie, but in video game form. You control the main characters' actions. I can see this game having multiple paths and several different ways to reach the end, so the replayability will definitely be there. What the good people who made the Sega CD had probably intended when they made that abortion of a machine was a game like this.

[quote name='pv41584']US Code for anyone that wants it.

6KDC-96BR-PKRP[/QUOTE]

thanks for the code!

So, I did the DEMO today. I loved it. My boyfriend tried it afterwards. He hated it. Found it so slow that he didn't even go back to help the chick in the sleazy hotel room. I'm afraid he's more of the typical gamer...and that based on his reaction, this game will not do well. ::sigh::

[quote name='QuickKill']Did you try to hold all the buttons down? If so, I did that too at first, but in actuality, you only need to hold down the current 2-3 (which is much easier). If this is not the case, then, I dunno.

Fun demo. Brought back memories of the good parts of Indigo Prophecy. Damn, I should have bought it when it was on sale. I'm leaning towards buying it from day 1 now. (yay for amazon prime). But yeah, my only gripes are the slight screen tearing and the spotty voice acting at parts by the girl and the fbi guy. Other than that, I liked it.[/QUOTE]

Not gonna lie, before i figured out you could let go, I used my tongue to hit the square button :applause:

But I really was digging the story, I'm just not big on QTEs. PRESS X TO NOT DIE!!!!! "WHAT?!? HUH?!?!" and then my fat asthmatic PI will be dead. But I love the concept. most likely a rental for me.

[quote name='sinkingships']demo is pretty cool. that fight scene was pretty intense, and the QTE idea is pretty cool but i felt the things like walking up the hill were kind of tedious and not really necessary.[/QUOTE]

yea the fight scene would have if you didnt have to worry about missing the qte. i missed most of the fight trying to see what buttons popping up next.

[quote name='Ardrid']Thanks, man. I grabbed the dynamic themes too (why doesn't the US get a few free themes). Really enjoyed the demo. I have a feeling the game is going to be really good, which is enough for me to preorder it for the time being.[/QUOTE]
seems that a CAG decided to download the dynamic themes lol..
i did not included them, i just downloaded the heavy rain demo to the account

[quote name='cRodz']seems that a CAG decided to download the dynamic themes lol..
i did not included them, i just downloaded the heavy rain demo to the account[/QUOTE]

They're free themes, literally. I checked the UK store and they offer the Wipeout HD Fury and Motorstorm: Artic Edge Dynamic Themes for free (which is why I commented as to why the US store hasn't done the same with a few themes). I could've used my UK acct to grab them but it wasn't worth the hassle.

To get the codes that work, you just have to register at the US site (use a different email address if you have to) and then go and do the evidence at Precinct 52.

After I did this, my new code worked.

Got the code for the US demo, but how do you get he Home item? Is that for European accounts only?

I got my shirt and demo codes yesterday, but didn't get to try them until just now. Neither works ("The code you entered may not be correct or may no longer be valid."), so I used another email address to get new codes (using the original email address kept giving the original codes), and the new codes don't work either. I may give it one more try with another email address, but this is very annoying.

Edit: Ok, figured it out. Even though I was selecting US, it was registering me through the UK site, so my codes weren't valid in the US. I changed the URL to en-US before registering my third email address, and that did the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the demo, the QTEs managed not to distract from the action for me.

I did experience significant screen tearing though, anyone else?

Can't wait for the final game; this has been my most anticipated game since the first tech demo thanks to how much I loved Indigo Prophecy (okay, maybe not the last act). But I ran into a glitch during my second playthrough of Sleazy Place. The woman got stuck in the pose where she's facing the night stand when you first walk into the room.

When she turns her head to look at you, it keeps snapping back into the forward facing direction. Whenever the camera angle changes and she's supposed to be somewhere else, she's there for a second then awkwardly is warped back to the aforementioned position. I certainly hope I don't encounter that during the final game. Didn't bother pressing Pause, but I hope there's a "restart chapter" option if it does happen.

I forgot where I last saw this awkward walking control scheme, but thankfully this is a slow paced adventure game. (Says I, not knowing if I'll be required to chase someone while not in a QTE.)

[quote name='dafunkk12']
I forgot where I last saw this awkward walking control scheme, but thankfully this is a slow paced adventure game. (Says I, not knowing if I'll be required to chase someone while not in a QTE.)[/QUOTE]

Right? The slow walking pissed me off, but the walking controls were aggravating.

I came across a crash that made my new PS3 slim emit a 'tractor' sound through the TV while playing the Crime scene...scene. Didn't happen again though. Hope its just the one time. :)

I might be interested if they added Sony Arc controls but for me it's a rental at best. The story looks good but the control scheme kills it for me.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Can't wait for the final game; this has been my most anticipated game since the first tech demo thanks to how much I loved Indigo Prophecy (okay, maybe not the last act). But I ran into a glitch during my second playthrough of Sleazy Place. The woman got stuck in the pose where she's facing the night stand when you first walk into the room.

When she turns her head to look at you, it keeps snapping back into the forward facing direction. Whenever the camera angle changes and she's supposed to be somewhere else, she's there for a second then awkwardly is warped back to the aforementioned position. I certainly hope I don't encounter that during the final game. Didn't bother pressing Pause, but I hope there's a "restart chapter" option if it does happen.

I forgot where I last saw this awkward walking control scheme, but thankfully this is a slow paced adventure game. (Says I, not knowing if I'll be required to chase someone while not in a QTE.)[/QUOTE]
I doubt it you'll be required to chase anyone exstensively. (like say, GTAIV) This is not shaping up to be any type of conventional game which is exactly why you have to press R2 to walk. It's grounding you. Again, "interactive drama" perfectly describes this.

Also, I'v played through Sleazy Place 3 times, and Crime Scene twice. Haven't encountered any problems whatsoever.

[quote name='joserjerr']I might be interested if they added Sony Arc controls but for me it's a rental at best. The story looks good but the control scheme kills it for me.[/QUOTE]
I have to ask.. when you say the "control scheme" ruins the game for you, are you talking about the fact the you have to press R2 to walk, or that the entire game is QTE? I can't believe using R2 to walk bothers people so much when you're not even walking for a minute, sometimes not even 30 seconds, before doing a QTE.

[quote name='Zen Rukasu']I have to ask.. when you say the "control scheme" ruins the game for you, are you talking about the fact the you have to press R2 to walk, or that the entire game is QTE? I can't believe using R2 to walk bothers people so much when you're not even walking for a minute, sometimes not even 30 seconds, before doing a QTE.[/QUOTE]

For whatever reason, some people just can't get past it. I played through the demo for a 2nd and 3rd time tonight, and I finally got to the point where it DID feel like I was controlling the movement with the left stick. All you hear is people bitching that they want character movement mapped to the left stick, when it essentially is...you just have to hold R2 while doing it. The way I view it now is just an added degree of difficulty.

It's also funny hearing people complain about the "finger twister" of having to press and hold multiple buttons to accomplish certain things, when again, that's an INTENTIONAL design aspect of the game. There was even an interview in Game Informer where the developers discussed that they created this to make the game less conventional and provide a unique challenge. I understand that some people just don't have the patience for all that, but I just wish they wouldn't act like it's a flaw with the game. It was made this way for a reason. I'm not going to toss around the "go back to Gears of War!" insults, but unconventional doesn't appeal to everyone.

Thanks for the heads up on this, after making a UK account was able to get my download code to work. Excited to try this game out!

-

[quote name='DesertLeo']the demo reminds me of indigo prophecy.

that's a good thing. pre-ordered![/QUOTE]

Well it IS from the same developers as Fahrenheit.

I really liked the controls. I thought I'd have a hard time with having to walk with R2, but it works surprisingly well, and actually makes sense. The game really feels intense and immersive. I'm most likely getting this at launch now. I can see DLC being a big part of this game too. I'd actually love to see some episodic "interactive story" type of games on PSN in the future.

I had trouble with the walking and camera, but I think if i played the full game I'd get the hang of it. I can't decide whether to cancel my preorder and rent or not. Anybody know how long the full game will last?

Another thing I thought of concerning the walking controls is that they're actually really similar to a driving game. You hold R2 to "accelerate" and use the left stick to "steer". So, those of you struggling with the concept, I trust that you don't play Gran Turismo or Need For Speed or anything either.

Ok, I registered on the Precinct 52 site. Got the code and entered it but I get a message that it is wrong or expired??? I have a U.S. PSN account, do I really need to make a EU account just to play a demo?

bread's done
Back