GGT 243's Dawg Died Because of CAG 3.0

some people putting too much thought into this

let it go hayter isn't snake anymore

A game industry collapse seems plausible now. There is so much money involved in these new consoles and AAA games, a couple bad releases could trigger even a giant like EA to topple.
Yep.

And as I said last night, that wouldn't necessarily be bad thing.

MS and Sony need a power/ego check. Publishers need a wake up call to realize people aren't just going to keep buying sequels and rehashes for ever etc.
This is only true to a point.

I'm ridiculous about re-buying games I've played and like. I've purchased some Final Fantasy, Zelda, Super Mario, DMC, RE, etc. games multiple times. I love HD collections.

The problem here, IMO, is that sometimes developers just cash in on the sequel. "Oh, this worked well and people bought it last time. Let's just kind of play paint by numbers and hope it sells again." This isn't the 1990s where Super Mario World (SMB4, basically) blew our minds. The problem is that the sequels are uninspired and have lost the magic. :\

--

Now someone tell me how I put the lights out on CAG, please?

(How do I enable the dark theme?)
at the bottom of the website you can choose a theme

Finally some good games.

Fun fact laura bailey is in three of those games. Whoknows didn't know that I should be #1 fan
Uncharted 3 is good. I've heard bad things about LBPK and didn't even think it was worth $9 or whatever from the gameplay I checked out back when... I guess FREE is better than $9, but I'm really not that interested... X-COM is kinda eh too... seems like it'd be better on PC. (I know, I know... Hank and Uraizen tell me EVERYTHING is better on PC ;))

Hahaha, I never would've looked there.

Thanks gunnm. It's much better in dark mode. My eyes are saved.

Kojima is a cock riding asshole and he'll probably be solid snake in MGS 6 so you might as well keep it.

here dawg
343b.jpg
Thanks bro. Updated!

Finally some good games.

Fun fact laura bailey is in three of those games. Whoknows didn't know that I should be #1 fan
Uncharted 3 is good. I've heard bad things about LBPK and didn't even think it was worth $9 or whatever from the gameplay I checked out back when... I guess FREE is better than $9, but I'm really not that interested... X-COM is kinda eh too... seems like it'd be better on PC. (I know, I know... Hank and Uraizen tell me EVERYTHING is better on PC ;))

Hahaha, I never would've looked there.

Thanks gunnm. It's much better in dark mode. My eyes are saved.
X-Com was fun on console I played it on xbox its not like you need hair trigger accuracy that the PC provides. You just point and click and hope aliens miss.

Publishers set the DRM now and Sony has said it will allow them to do so on the PS4.

The main question here that's answered already on the Xbone is this: "Does the PS4 require gamers to install your new physical game disc to your PS4, like you would on a PC, and if so, is there any way to deactivate it?". We know the answers for Xbone are "install required, you can give to 1 friend of more than 30+ days and up to 10 other accounts designated as family can play it whenever".

So unless publishers opt to use the cross-buy digital Vita copy model for their own games (buy Sly 4 or Sony Smash, pop the disc in, register the Disc on PSN, you get the digital version of the game tied to your PSN account and the ability to associate the disc with another account is gone, I believe), this shouldn't be an issue. Even then, the game only has a 1 time use bonus feature, not a register the disc to your account so you can't trade/sell it.

Again, possible, but seems highly unlikely to me at this point.

Again, this has nothing to do with what the publisher chooses. Renting, based on the description of the current system, is likely to be impossible and it's got nothing to do with what a publisher chooses -- when you buy ANY game for your Xbone, it seems it will install and tie to your account permanently. So if GameFly sends you the disc -- when you send it back to them, it's useless, since the only way you can get rid of it in that list is to give it to someone who has been on your Friends List for 30+ days. Based on the stuff there, unless Gamestop/Amazon/Best Buy are working with Microsoft to develop some sort of digital trade in program that skirts the rules as we know them, GameFly/Gamestop (et. al.) are getting fucked along with the consumer here.
Definitely have to wait and see what Sony does. I honestly don't care about any of this stuff other than resells/trades being limited to "participating retailers." And I have a hard time seeing Sony not having a system to let third parties participate in that restrictive systems if they so choose.

I don't mind forced installs as I install everything on my 360 already. And wish I could on PS3 as load times are pretty bad since Bluray drive are so much slower than DVD drives. And I like not having to have the disc in so I can just accept a cross game invite and jump right into the game without having to get up and change discs.

I don't loan things as I have no local gamer friends, and don't much like loaning my stuff to people anyway. No other gamers in the household, and never will be as my fiancee doesn't game and we don't want kids. Always have reliable internet and don't care about not being able to game if it happens to go down for a day or two as I have plenty of other hobbies etc.

So most of this crap just doesn't affect me. But I do like selling my games on Amazon at a price I can set myself. And I'd be surprised if I can still do that with every game on PS4 as I imagine they'll leave that up to publishers. So it will probably be just as bad as Xbone for me since that's the only thing that really affects me about the Xbone DRM crap.

As for renting, that's still up in the air. MS said not at launch, but they are exploring it with their partners. I'd be surprised if they don't come up with some rental system. Could work with discs where the license has to be repurchased/activated every day you have it--so gamefly/redbox/etc. would just have to link up with MSs system so the game got reactivated daily when your daily payment with through (in gameflys case it would just be the prorated daily amount of your monthly subscription fee).

Or maybe they tell the rental companies to piss off and just do digital rentals on the online store where you download and pay a daily fee and own the game if your fees hit the purchase price. Would be up to publishers on whether or not to put their games in that rental service. Again, only time will tell.

Finally some good games.

Yep. I'll definitely grab Deus Ex and Little Big Planet Carting. Maybe Xcom.

Love PS+. Helping me amass a cheap backlog to ride out this next gen shit and see how things pan out.

I'm ridiculous about re-buying games I've played and like. I've purchased some Final Fantasy, Zelda, Super Mario, DMC, RE, etc. games multiple times. I love HD collections.

The problem here, IMO, is that sometimes developers just cash in on the sequel. "Oh, this worked well and people bought it last time. Let's just kind of play paint by numbers and hope it sells again." This isn't the 1990s where Super Mario World (SMB4, basically) blew our minds. The problem is that the sequels are uninspired and have lost the magic. :\
I don't much replay games any more, so I generally avoid HD collections unless its something I never got around to in a prior gen.

I'll occasionally rebuy a classic game for $5 in the virtual console or something, but not often. The only time I really did classic gaming was early this gen when I only had a Wii, and that was just because there wasn't shit else I wanted to play on it for long stretches.

I agree wholeheartedly that he problem is uninspired sequels. And even more than that, the industry is plagued by unispired rip offs.

I like series, I don't mind getting sequels to Gears, Halo, Uncharted etc. as I like those games, settings, characters etc. and don't mind getting more of the same there every couple of years.

But I'd like to see a lot more new franchises coming out, and ones that aren't just rip offs of popular games that pretty much never end up being as good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I traded in LBPK when I did now. It was free anyway.

I'da gotten rid of Uncharted 3 a long time ago if I wouldn't have anxienty from not having the trilogy on my shelf.

I'm about to leave and god damn jehova's wondering around my block Now I'm anne franking this bitch until dey gone doe

was she a great big fat person!

Just saw something mentioned on Neogaf that I had forgotten about.

Sony got a patent for some kind of Bluray, disc based DRM system that locked discs to one player.

That could be something they put in the PS4 and give publishers the option of using.  That would be a way for publishers to restrict used game sales if they wanted, and Sony still be correct about the system not needing to go online to work.

Just speculation of course....but could well be true and explain Sony's stance about the PS4 not needing to go online, and also not coming out and saying they won't have DRM or much less of it than MS etc. to really capitalize on the shitstorm MS is getting.

wouldya!?

Just saw something mentioned on Neogaf that I had forgotten about.

Sony got a patent for some kind of Bluray, disc based DRM system that locked discs to one player.

That could be something they put in the PS4 and give publishers the option of using. That would be a way for publishers to restrict used game sales if they wanted, and Sony still be correct about the system not needing to go online to work.

Just speculation of course....but could well be true and explain Sony's stance about the PS4 not needing to go online, and also not coming out and saying they won't have DRM or much less of it than MS etc. to really capitalize on the shitstorm MS is getting.
I think sony came out and said its true but its not for video games or something. I remember reading about that unless its a new story

I think sony came out and said its true but its not for video games or something. I remember reading about that unless its a new story
Probably just that old story. But companies lie all the time about things like that, so it could still be used for this purpose. Especially if the big publishers are really playing chicken with Sony and saying "Give us some way to restrict used games like MS has or we'll keep some of our big titles off PS4."

Probably just that old story. But companies lie all the time about things like that, so it could still be used for this purpose. Especially if the big publishers are really playing chicken with Sony and saying "Give us some way to restrict used games like MS has or we'll keep some of our big titles off PS4."
I think it would be worth it for Sony to say no. I'm just assuming a lot of people would buy a PS4 over an Xbone if PS4 had no restrictions.

The patent could always do something else. Maybe it's something like what they have now that makes sure cross buy is only used once.

I think it would be worth it for Sony to say no. I'm just assuming a lot of people would buy a PS4 over an Xbone if PS4 had no restrictions.

The patent could always do something else. Maybe it's something like what they have now that makes sure cross buy is only used once.
Yeah, further posts on GAF indicated that Sony specifically said it had nothing to do with PS4--hard to believe they'd lie that directly.

I really don't know that Sony can really say no to publishers if they're really playing hardball. Maybe EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc. care enough about winning this DRM fight that they really would pull some major franchises from PS4 to force Sony's hand as they think winning this DRM fight will make them more money in the long run but reducing used sales (and/or getting them a cut of used sales) than they'd lose by not selling a yearly round of Madden/CoD/AC to PS4 gamers.

If they are really willing to make that threat, Sony really can't say no as they'd be doomed in the US market without those franchises the first year.

Yeah, further posts on GAF indicated that Sony specifically said it had nothing to do with PS4--hard to believe they'd lie that directly.

I really don't know that Sony can really say no to publishers if they're really playing hardball. Maybe EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc. care enough about winning this DRM fight that they really would pull some major franchises from PS4 to force Sony's hand as they think winning this DRM fight will make them more money in the long run but reducing used sales (and/or getting them a cut of used sales) than they'd lose by not selling a yearly round of Madden/CoD/AC to PS4 gamers.

If they are really willing to make that threat, Sony really can't say no as they'd be doomed in the US market without those franchises the first year.
I think you're missing the key point. As someone just said over in the GAF thread we're both in: "MS really wanted this to be a digital only console, but they balked and now there are all these half assed measures." It's true. If they expect you to constantly have Internet and want all your stuff on the cloud, than the physical discs are pretty much like those DIVX discs that came and went. MS doesn't have this system in place because publishers put the squeeze on them. They have this system in place because, as I said above, they wanted a fully digital console but then lost conviction and thought "we need to have a physical presence in stores with the system. we need to have a way for people with slow internet to get 25gb games." So they kept the physical discs but didn't revert to the existing physical media consumer model. Because of that, physical disc or no, you're essentially using a Steam like console without license keys, as I understand everything I've read.

Publishers currently control the DRM on PS3. This is why there are a few games that will not start if you are not signed in to PSN on the account that bought them *cough*CAPCOM*cough*. This is why there is a limit of 3 PS3s and 2 PSP/VITA devices per PSN account, etc. There is DRM... ON DIGITAL PURCHASES. Key word being DIGITAL. PS4 says "yup, still in the hands of publishers". But unless they have adopted something of a similar consumer model where all of your purchases are now essentially digital and they need to prevent loss of sales from people passing discs around, I really don't think you'll see anything really restricting the ability to trade/sell a game when you're done with it so long as you have it on physical medium. PS3 games are like this, PSVita games are like this, I see no reason Sony is going to radically shift the dynamic now, especially while they sit and watch MS take a beating over it.

---

Joel, Hank and I already said that yesterday. :p

And if it's not standard Kojima fucking with fans like normal, you can bet your ass that Konami will probably have a David Hayter voice pack for the game. ;)

The only really concerning thing is that the US DLC for Rising never got the "soul of Snake" sword with Snake's voiceover, possibly because all of this is real and fans are just trying to rationalize away the change.

I think you're missing the key point. As someone just said over in the GAF thread we're both in: "MS really wanted this to be a digital only console, but they balked and now there are all these half assed measures." It's true. If they expect you to constantly have Internet and want all your stuff on the cloud, than the physical discs are pretty much like those DIVX discs that came and went. MS doesn't have this system in place because publishers put the squeeze on them. They have this system in place because, as I said above, they wanted a fully digital console but then lost conviction and thought "we need to have a physical presence in stores with the system. we need to have a way for people with slow internet to get 25gb games." So they kept the physical discs but didn't revert to the existing physical media consumer model. Because of that, physical disc or no, you're essentially using a Steam like console without license keys, as I understand everything I've read.

Publishers currently control the DRM on PS3. This is why there are a few games that will not start if you are not signed in to PSN on the account that bought them *cough*CAPCOM*cough*. This is why there is a limit of 3 PS3s and 2 PSP/VITA devices per PSN account, etc. There is DRM... ON DIGITAL PURCHASES. Key word being DIGITAL. PS4 says "yup, still in the hands of publishers". But unless they have adopted something of a similar consumer model where all of your purchases are now essentially digital and they need to prevent loss of sales from people passing discs around, I really don't think you'll see anything really restricting the ability to trade/sell a game when you're done with it so long as you have it on physical medium. PS3 games are like this, PSVita games are like this, I see no reason Sony is going to radically shift the dynamic now, especially while they sit and watch MS take a beating over it.
Like I said last night, I hope you are right and MS has really dropped the ball here and things end up much different on PS3. And I think there probably will be at least in terms of the online check in BS and some other details.

But with this move toward DRM, you can bet that major third party franchises will have some type publisher enabled DRM available on both platforms. And if not, major publishers will probably just gamble in trying to win the DRM fight and just not put some games on PS4 to make their point.

You hardcore gamers who play quirky Japanese games, indie games, more niche genres like fighters, Ninja Gaiden type action games etc. can just boycott those games and have plenty to play either way (DRM or pulled franchises). But casual/mainstream gamers like me will be screwed and have to deal with the DRM or miss out on most of the games that are the only reason we're gaming. Boycotts won't work there as casuals are still going to buy the shit out of Call of Duty, Assassins Creed with our with out DRM.

Anyway, this is just going to be a major growing pains generation as it's bridging the gap to going fully digital so we get all this half assed stuff as that GAF poster noted.

Personally, I'm all for a full digital future as I hate owning stuff I don't revisit often and feeling bogged down by possessions when I want to move around, live abroad etc. They just need to work out the kinks and get a pricing system that works like Steam does so I know longer care about being able to resell my games.

Good morning. My Twitter's filled with next-gen discussion... only gonna get thicker with that next week.

A game industry collapse seems plausible now. There is so much money involved in these new consoles and AAA games, a couple bad releases could trigger even a giant like EA to topple.
Yup. AAA games cost way too much money to make, and overall, there's just way too much product out there. I think the PC and mobile spaces will be fine since so much of that is friendlier to smaller developers, but consoles are in trouble. Nintendo might be in the most favorable position now, but that's not saying much :whistle2:?

Then you have sequels which are bad for awhile, but then the franchise improves and you start anticipating them again *looks at Sonic*

Seriously, though, I don't mind sequels, but... my favorite sequels tend to be iterative, but this seems to be largely the domain of smaller and niche developers whose fanbases expect such iteration. I've noticed this is true when it comes to my husband's taste in sequels, too; Etrian Odyssey for me and Grand Theft Auto for him are two great examples of highly iterative series that we love.

On the flipside, some of the sequels that haven't impressed us are the ones where iteration is underwhelming or not present at all, and these tend to be AAA cash cows as opposed to niche hardcore series or those rare AAA franchises where they spend a lot of time and care to get things right. Unfortunately, the industry tends to favor the cash cows...

But I'd like to see a lot more new franchises coming out, and ones that aren't just rip offs of popular games that pretty much never end up being as good.
One thing that's good about new console cycles is that's when we're most likely to see new franchises. That's one area Nintendo seems to have fumbled on with the 3DS and WiiU (Nintendo Land was just building on old franchises; it wasn't something new like Pikmin was for the GameCube, and Wii Sports/Fit/etc. were for the Wii), but it remains to be seen what will happen with Sony and Microsoft.

I'm still confused...where is the fine print that says no trading or selling XBone games?  I'm not defending MS...Xbone sounds like a big F.U. the consumer and a "look here's my asshole, please shove your fat corporate cock deep inside" for Big Game Industry, but I don't see it...unless it's GAFers putting two and two together?

Also, Frosty, XCom was designed for consoles...PC will not help this version too much IMO.  Anyways, I'm so glad I didn't buy it.  My friend will laugh when he finds out I'm getting it "free" since he bought his copy a month ago...

I'm putting my next gen console together tonight.  Swapping out my motherboard for one that supports PCI Express 3.0, adding in a nice huge aftermarket cpu cooler so I can overclock, and putting in two GTX 770s.

I hope it happens. Time for a reboot. Shit's getting too stupid now.

holy shit that avatar krymner is great

but its the other eye ;)
Love that avatar.

Yep.

And as I said last night, that wouldn't necessarily be bad thing.

MS and Sony need a power/ego check. Publishers need a wake up call to realize people aren't just going to keep buying sequels and rehashes for ever etc.
They really do. Nintendo too, don't forget. All they do is rehash stuff.

Sweet, good thing I didn't spend $15 on Uncharted 3 last Christmas. Can't wait to download that 43 GB monster. . .

I'm putting my next gen console together tonight. Swapping out my motherboard for one that supports PCI Express 3.0, adding in a nice huge aftermarket cpu cooler so I can overclock, and putting in two GTX 770s.
Sounds like you have quite the Powerpoint machine going. I guess next gen gaming to you is Microsoft Office?

I'm putting my next gen console together tonight. Swapping out my motherboard for one that supports PCI Express 3.0, adding in a nice huge aftermarket cpu cooler so I can overclock, and putting in two GTX 770s.
Hell yeah, that's exactly what I'd be doing. . .If I could afford two 770's.

Mad jealous. :p

Someday soon, I will join you, Icebeezy.

I'm not in a hurry though, I have a big enough backlog on my PS3, Vita, and 3DS, so I can wait for proper deals on components to save some cash. :)

---

New CAG is so much better now that it's got the dark theme. :whee:

Oh please be true... pleeease?

gI2xGJT.png

Maybe this is why they haven't said anything yet?  This would be ridiculously awesome.  It might even redefine it.

I think I'm going to start Xcom over, I completed objectives too quick and now it seems like I'm really unprepared for guys like the Mutons, who killed one of my guys and wounded everybody else pretty bad and I didn't have much in the way of spare trained soliders.

I'm still confused...where is the fine print that says no trading or selling XBone games?
It doesn't say that. Just that trade ins only allowed at "participating retailers."

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
And also no lending (at least not at launch), but you can give away each game one time (i.e. who ever gets it can't give it back or to someone else) and only to people who've been on your friends list for 30+ days.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

So making him VP of preowned games means that doesn't exist anymore.
If there's no changes to, or restrictions on, preowned games then why would they need preowned games division or VP?

If that's true, sounds like Sony may be setting up their own Preowned game division/system or something in house rather than through participating retailers.

Seems like a bunch of BS and just a random twitter rumor to me though.

So making him VP of preowned games means that doesn't exist anymore.
If there's no changes to, or restrictions on, preowned games then why would they need preowned games division or VP?

If that's true, sounds like Sony may be setting up their own Preowned game division/system or something in house rather than through participating retailers.

Seems like a bunch of BS and just a random twitter rumor to me though.
:rofl:

Are you not familiar with the Kevin Butler advertising?

The things he's VP of never actually exist. It's just something to draw attention to a feature that the PS3 had that they wanted to emphasize.

Making him the VP of Pre-Owned games would be their way of saying "Pre-owned works exactly like it does now.".

And yeah, they dropped Kevin Butler after he appeared in other commercials (Nintendo? I forget what, exactly) and used the same demeanor/character breaking his contract as that particular "spokesperson".

I loved those commercials. Regional Manager of War, for example:

http://youtu.be/NOUy1W_cJS4

They should totally bring him back -- he was a memorable character and good at creating buzz, IMO.

I'm going to buy a Wii U.

The new Sonic is exclusive to it anyway so I have no reason not to.
And the new Sonic game actually looks pretty good. And I don't even like most Sonic games normally.

---

I hope the AAA game industry collapses this gen. That's the only way I can see that will prevent things from continuing down a deep dark consumer-unfriendly hole. Indies and budget-smart companies will survive and rise from the ashes of failed, bloated AAA publishers.

:rofl:

Are you not familiar with the Kevin Butler advertising?

The things he's VP of never actually exist. It's just something to draw attention to a feature that the PS3 had that they wanted to emphasize.

Making him the VP of Pre-Owned games would be their way of saying "Pre-owned works exactly like it does now.".

And yeah, they dropped Kevin Butler after he appeared in other commercials (Nintendo? I forget what, exactly) and used the same demeanor/character breaking his contract as that particular "spokesperson"..
Yeah, I just got called on that on GAF. lol

I vaguely recall those ads now that you mention it. But I rarely watch live TV other than sports, and even then I flip channels or good on my phone/ipad during commercials. And I don't really follow gaming news online much at all outside of CAG other than around E3 or new console announcements so I'm usually pretty out of the loop on this kind of stuff. :D

I hope the AAA game industry collapses this gen. That's the only way I can see that will prevent things from continuing down a deep dark consumer-unfriendly hole. Indies and budget-smart companies will survive and rise from the ashes of failed, bloated AAA publishers.
That I'm torn on as I really only like AAA games with great graphics, atmosphere and stories these days. It's silly, but gameplay is honestly a bit secondary these days as I don't like challenges etc. My hobby is stories and escaping from reality for a bit, and I love games as they're more immerse than movies or books due to the interactive nature.

So I basically just want to see more variety and new ideas in the AAA game industry. I have no interest in the indie games that harken more back to classic gaming, offering challenges for the hardcore gamers etc.

I'd just want to see more new AAA IPs like Last of Us, and fewer yearly sequels and rehashes.

5 more minutes for that Marvel Heroes.

Should I pick Hawkeye or should I pick Hawkeye?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns54m4yLqTQ

This.

bread's done
Back