GGT 362 is the Official Kpop Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent another couple of hours in training mode, and I love the game. Found out a few easier ways to confirm into Rage Art, one from a low. I guess there are low launchers in this game, just took me a while to find it. Found a combo that uses one meter for 81 damage off a low. Highest is 84 off a Rage Art.

I guess overheads in Tekken are just a jump in? And are there unblockables? I found one move that doesn't have a hitbox detection, takes a while to start up, and has a big exclamation mark when it hits, gotta mess with the options in training mode to find out.

Damn, Tekken 7 is pretty damn hard. Just found out what a neutral block is, and that half my combos aren't even legit combos. It also seems that lows are extremely good in this game, especially since they work on both standing and neutral block, and some lows are even combo starters off neutral blocks. Mids hitting crouching opponents is pretty crazy too. And turns out that move was an unblockable, which I guess most characters have.

giphy.gif

Damn, Tekken 7 is pretty damn hard. Just found out what a neutral block is, and that half my combos aren't even legit combos. It also seems that lows are extremely good in this game, especially since they work on both standing and neutral block, and some lows are even combo starters off neutral blocks. Mids hitting crouching opponents is pretty crazy too. And turns out that move was an unblockable, which I guess most characters have.
Yeah, the competitive scene is crazy. You'll get good fast, though. I always thought I was amazing at Tekken until I played Rai and Hank in TTT2. They taught me soooo much in a short amount of time. Same with SF.

I been maiming Akuma, Dragunov, and King in the new game. Still need to play around a bit more to feel confident for online though.

Guys, we watching E3 together next week?

Yeah, the competitive scene is crazy. You'll get good fast, though. I always thought I was amazing at Tekken until I played Rai and Hank in TTT2. They taught me soooo much in a short amount of time. Same with SF.

I been maiming Akuma, Dragunov, and King in the new game. Still need to play around a bit more to feel confident for online though.
I would love to get some games in with you. I suck terribly at this game, I even get destroyed by the treasure battle CPU. I get so overwhelmed when on the defense. I want to test myself against a good player first to see where I am at and what I need to do to improve.

I'm gonna stick to one character though, it'll make it easier to learn in the long run. Just a lot of stuff I watch in online tutorials like homing attacks and stuff that they either don't explain it simply enough or I am too much of an idiot to understand.

Tried playing online, matchmaking is so broken on PS4, I got 1 out of 20 matches to actually connect. I still get destroyed though. And when I tried lobby mode, I get little kids jabbing me to death, nothing I press has fast enough start up to counter it, side stepping is too slow to get a punish, and even forward 1+2 armor move gets beaten out. I can't beat the arcade on normal either, the bosses have like unblockables or something.

I just noticed this. Party time?
I always thought you were a much older Cag than me, turns out we are just 4 months apart. Happy Cag Birthday! Celebration time!

I figured we should just do it at BlackRockWaifu's place since his room is more exciting.
It's changed quite a bit since you last saw it, threw out some stuff, and added a $300 figure to the top shelf. Moved all the Vita games to the basement, replaced it with the Soldier 76 statue. All the posters and wall scrolls are the same though, I should get to changing those.

I always thought you were a much older Cag than me, turns out we are just 4 months apart. Happy Cag Birthday! Celebration time!

It's changed quite a bit since you last saw it, threw out some stuff, and added a $300 figure to the top shelf. Moved all the Vita games to the basement, replaced it with the Soldier 76 statue. All the posters and wall scrolls are the same though, I should get to changing those.
I've been browsing CAG since 2009 but I didn't create an account until 2013. During those early years I actually only checked the site once a year during the Holidays to see what deals were popping up. I can't even recall what made me decide to create an account or why I eventually started checking it more often but I'm glad I did and met all you wonderful people I can call my nakama.

UraraMeirochou-Episode1-Omake-11_zpsmnfvptkk.gif

I've been browsing CAG since 2009 but I didn't create an account until 2013. During those early years I actually only checked the site once a year during the Holidays to see what deals were popping up. I can't even recall what made me decide to create an account or why I eventually started checking it more often but I'm glad I did and met all you wonderful people I can call my nakama.

UraraMeirochou-Episode1-Omake-11_zpsmnfvptkk.gif
I was like that!

I started super lurking on CAG in 2008 and then created an account in 09/10 to give thanks to some folks in the GS trading thread (what I had been lurking for). That thread helped me save soooo much money at a time when I was totally broke. Flipping stuff became a way of life as a result. Crazy to think I've been doing it for nearly 10 years now.

I'll be heartbroken if CAG ever dies. I'd miss everyone too much.

That would explain it, then. I mainly play in the evenings or on the weekends. 90% of the time I'm on PSN it's because my girlfriend is watching Netflix.

I could see you being great with Adam and Scarecrow. My main is still Aquaman, but I've gotten decent with quite a few more folks on the roster this time around. Catwoman is a favorite. I need to get around to playing Deadshot. I know he's broken, but I still just haven't gotten around to playing him.

How does discord work? Never used it before, but I'll hit you up next time I see you on so we can play some. Been forever since we played a fighting game together!

Tekken Day, peeps!
Time to get in my King boot of doom!

I bought a Dreamcast a couple of days ago because I always wanted one. It is nice to have, but finding games for it is a chore. Can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting Nintendo or PlayStation games, but Sega shit is rare. I went to 7 vintage game stores in the last two days and I found nothing until the last store. They had a lot of sports games for $10 each, Sonic Adventure for $30, Soul Calibur for $30, and Soul Reaver for $10. I picked up Soul Reaver and am having a blast with it. The pricing structure between that store and eBay makes me realize why so many people just pirate the games, though. Shit is almost priced like complete Pokemon games. $70 for an acceptable condition copy of Third Strike seems crazy. Never thought I would again see the day where Gamestop has the most okay prices for games ($20 for MvC ain't that bad).
Third Strike on DC has input delay, don't buy it. Discord works like an IM program where you can join multiple chat rooms. It's also a good replacement for Skype. You can play deadshot, he's not broken. I'll just walk and block or meter burn roll in. I could also just pick aquaman since he beats deadshot even with all the trades.

I think I might main Green Lantern. I'm not used to how you can't really confirm off pokes in this game, and his 1,2 string is easy to spot and confirm into his meter burn bread and butters.
You have to commit in NRS games. Pick a string or special to cancel into that's safe. For scarecrow I do b1, 2 then swing the chain. If I see it hit then I meter burn for the ground bounce. If I don't see it hit, I let it play out. It's -21, but hard to punish.

I can spend hours in the lab with Eliza. Having a real hard time comboing into her rage art though. Finally found an easy method after some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hlTmYh9qCQ

I dunno how Tekken really plays, but I feel like she doesn't have a low starter for her bnbs. And does Tekken even have overheads?
Turn on counter-hit and see if she gets any starters from there. Tekken's overheads are mid, but there are special mids (green) that can be parried as if they were a low.

Spent another couple of hours in training mode, and I love the game. Found out a few easier ways to confirm into Rage Art, one from a low. I guess there are low launchers in this game, just took me a while to find it. Found a combo that uses one meter for 81 damage off a low. Highest is 84 off a Rage Art.

I guess overheads in Tekken are just a jump in? And are there unblockables? I found one move that doesn't have a hitbox detection, takes a while to start up, and has a big exclamation mark when it hits, gotta mess with the options in training mode to find out.
You don't want to jump-in for Tekken unless you're Akuma or Eliza. Hop kicks are okay depending on the character. There are also unblockables, it's an integral part of Bryan's game.

Lows aren't good, you're usually negative on block or hit. A counter-hit low can be good, though. I play Claudio and can get a punish off of my counter-hit d/b3. My d3 is so bad that it's -3 even on hit. Most moves are negative on block except chars that have good iWR moves. Doing iWR is a bitch, though. The one good thing I like about lows is that most launchers are mid, so if you can condition them to block low more often it's a free launch.

Just look at this:

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn on counter-hit and see if she gets any starters from there. Tekken's overheads are mid, but there are special mids (green) that can be parried as if they were a low.

You don't want to jump-in for Tekken unless you're Akuma or Eliza. Hop kicks are okay depending on the character. There are also unblockables, it's an integral part of Bryan's game.

Lows aren't good, you're usually negative on block or hit. A counter-hit low can be good, though. I play Claudio and can get a punish off of my counter-hit d/b3. My d3 is so bad that it's -3 even on hit. Most moves are negative on block except chars that have good iWR moves. Doing iWR is a bitch, though. The one good thing I like about lows is that most launchers are mid, so if you can condition them to block low more often it's a free launch.

Just look at this:

https://drunkardshade.com/2017/05/27/tekken-7-top-15-moves-for-all-characters/
Thanks for dropping that knowledge! After spending a lot more time with the game and playing a couple of matches online, I'm starting to grasp how Tekken really plays. I watched a Korean Eliza player on Twitch, and it seems I over-estimated a lot of her moves. Most of her launchers are really punishable and have slow start up. It seems for Tekken most characters don't have confirms off lows, besides I think Akuma. Lows seem very punishable like you said, and mainly seem to be used as a poking tool. And yeah, I found out mids are pretty much overheads, but highs whiff completely. So it's mainly a 50/50, with blocking high much more important since launchers are from mids, and the only launchers off lows are like sweep which is insanely punishable.

Watching that player, he seemed to go for mostly 1 to 2 hits of safe moves to play footsies with. I usually go for launchers off the start and I guess that's why my moves seem to get beaten out so much. I'm still in the mindset of having to keep doing confirms into combos, but I gotta start learning to poke and play neutral.

I also have a really hard time telling what's safe in this game and what can be punished. I know blocked rage arts are crazy punishable, but I can never get a launcher in before the recovery ends. When you do a negative move in this game, is it like anime fighters and SFV whiffing DPs, where any negative move punished will be a counter hit on recovery? Or is it like SF4 when counter hits are just from interrupting an opponent's move on start up? If it's the former, that will make it much easier to confirm off punishes, but if it's the latter, fishing for counter hits seem pretty difficult to spot.

Also, I can never seem to side-step moves and punish them, even Law's kicks get me when I try to side step them. I know a couple of moves hit horizontally to attack side-stepping opponents, but I'm pretty sure those moves aren't them. I've read in Tekken 7 they nerfed side stepping heavily in order to focus on blocking and punishing. But I'm having a huge problem knowing what is punishable and with what. Like someone online just keeps jabbing me to death, and I don't know whether to block and punish, which doesn't work since jabs feel so safe, side step, which gets beaten out, or go for a low, which also seems to get beaten out on recovery.

Thanks, Rai!

Are any fighting games on the Dreamcast worth it? I was thinking of MvC, maybe.

And yes! I will get discord and mess around with Deadshot. I also really love Aquaman.

Also, I can never seem to side-step moves and punish them, even Law's kicks get me when I try to side step them. I know a couple of moves hit horizontally to attack side-stepping opponents, but I'm pretty sure those moves aren't them. I've read in Tekken 7 they nerfed side stepping heavily in order to focus on blocking and punishing. But I'm having a huge problem knowing what is punishable and with what. Like someone online just keeps jabbing me to death, and I don't know whether to block and punish, which doesn't work since jabs feel so safe, side step, which gets beaten out, or go for a low, which also seems to get beaten out on recovery.
Yeah, you can kill people just by punishing all of their stuff with just a 1,2 string. You never have to use a launcher if you don't want. You can play defensively and just poke. For something to be a counter-hit, you have to interrupt them before it starts. Don't try to punish with throws either, btw. Throws can be broken even as punishes unless it's an armor move. Punishing with launchers I put everything in super early. The buffer in Tekken is huge, so it doesn't have to be precise.

For side stepping, it's hard because depending on the move you want to side step right or left to avoid it. This just comes from knowing what you can and should try to side step.

You can learn a lot more from Hank's long lost brother: https://www.youtube.com/user/AvoidingthePuddle

Thanks, Rai!

Are any fighting games on the Dreamcast worth it? I was thinking of MvC, maybe.

And yes! I will get discord and mess around with Deadshot. I also really love Aquaman.
MvC is always good to have, but MvC2 on Dreamcast is the definitive version of it. It's still the version that's used at tourneys. Project Justice is a game that's worth trying for Dreamcast.

Yeah, you can kill people just by punishing all of their stuff with just a 1,2 string. You never have to use a launcher if you don't want. You can play defensively and just poke. For something to be a counter-hit, you have to interrupt them before it starts. Don't try to punish with throws either, btw. Throws can be broken even as punishes unless it's an armor move. Punishing with launchers I put everything in super early. The buffer in Tekken is huge, so it doesn't have to be precise.

For side stepping, it's hard because depending on the move you want to side step right or left to avoid it. This just comes from knowing what you can and should try to side step.

You can learn a lot more from Hank's long lost brother: https://www.youtube.com/user/AvoidingthePuddle
Thanks, this is probably the best advice someone has given me! I just input the launcher motions as soon as possible now, since I do that for combos anyway. I also resort to punishing moves with a 2,2 string and ex cancel now, since it seems it'll punish most moves. After being in the training mode and testing each move manually (I don't think there's an option for having the training dummy do a move from the move list and immediately block right?" I realized like all Eliza's moves are punishable, and heavily punishable too. Also, reading some frame data online, it seems she only has one move that's plus, her jab. I was hoping for it to be like an NRS game, and be able to do a plus string, and follow it with a negative one for a frame trap. After watching NBLC too, I see most pro players don't go for crazy combos either, and stick to fishing for counter hits with hop kicks, or using safe strings.

Thanks for the link, but I try to avoid Aris when possible. He's a really funny guy, I love his commentary, and his work is really informative but he seems very meme heavy.

Is this...?

WKcat5W.jpg

Nah... I'm probably thinking too hard about it...probably just my dirty mind...

Yeah it's a weird chariot thing, idk it has knives on the front.

It's like something from classic video game Circus Maximus: Chariot Wars.

Yay, thank you, Rai! I plan on buying MvC later today if I can find it for $25 or less.

I got a new Dreamcast controller and Crazy Taxi today. I've never played Crazy Taxi at length before. I like it a lot.

Thanks, this is probably the best advice someone has given me! I just input the launcher motions as soon as possible now, since I do that for combos anyway. I also resort to punishing moves with a 2,2 string and ex cancel now, since it seems it'll punish most moves. After being in the training mode and testing each move manually (I don't think there's an option for having the training dummy do a move from the move list and immediately block right?" I realized like all Eliza's moves are punishable, and heavily punishable too. Also, reading some frame data online, it seems she only has one move that's plus, her jab. I was hoping for it to be like an NRS game, and be able to do a plus string, and follow it with a negative one for a frame trap. After watching NBLC too, I see most pro players don't go for crazy combos either, and stick to fishing for counter hits with hop kicks, or using safe strings.

Thanks for the link, but I try to avoid Aris when possible. He's a really funny guy, I love his commentary, and his work is really informative but he seems very meme heavy.
The only plus move on block is a move she can only do while running, right? That's pretty typical from what I've seen. You can do them up close, but there's really no trick to doing an iWR. You just have to do it fast and make sure you hold forward on the last motion. Don't tap the button and direction at the same time. Tap the button after you start holding the motion. Figured I would explain this since it probably is a while running move.

I play the same and just do jab string punishes. It wins me games, so whatever. I'll also purposely move out of range of my attacks connecting and hope that they stick out a button and it hits. Either that or I do it after I hit them with a jab string since I'm usually plus. What I do usually depends on how ballsy I feel or who has the life lead.

Aris just hates stoners, but he's the fountain of knowledge for Tekken that this world needs.

I'd love a new Crazy Taxi game. Sega has so many great unused IPs...
More than that, it feels like that's the case with most of the Dreamcast library. I played Power stone 2 at length yesterday.

How the fuck has there not been a Power Stone 3?? It's like Capcom and Sega both hate money.

Shit reminds me how I want a new Billy Hat her game.

MvC is always good to have, but MvC2 on Dreamcast is the definitive version of it. It's still the version that's used at tourneys. Project Justice is a game that's worth trying for Dreamcast.
Love Project Justice. Aris is totally my long lost brother.

Yay, thank you, Rai! I plan on buying MvC later today if I can find it for $25 or less.

I got a new Dreamcast controller and Crazy Taxi today. I've never played Crazy Taxi at length before. I like it a lot.
I've got some Dreamcast stuff laying around. If I find it, you can have it. VGA box and a controller adapter that lets you use PS2 and Saturn controllers on it, maybe some other stuff too.

The only plus move on block is a move she can only do while running, right? That's pretty typical from what I've seen. You can do them up close, but there's really no trick to doing an iWR. You just have to do it fast and make sure you hold forward on the last motion. Don't tap the button and direction at the same time. Tap the button after you start holding the motion. Figured I would explain this since it probably is a while running move.

I play the same and just do jab string punishes. It wins me games, so whatever. I'll also purposely move out of range of my attacks connecting and hope that they stick out a button and it hits. Either that or I do it after I hit them with a jab string since I'm usually plus. What I do usually depends on how ballsy I feel or who has the life lead.

Aris just hates stoners, but he's the fountain of knowledge for Tekken that this world needs.
From the frame data I've read, which seems to stem from the arcade release so it's not the most accurate, but her plus attack is jab, which is +1 on block, and +8 on hit. She might have a plus move elsewhere as well now.

iWR? Hmm, does that mean Instant While Running? So the moves where you have to input a direction like forward twice before an attack? If that's the case, then that method you described is super helpful, thanks! I usually just watch the demonstrations in the move list to help me learn the timings of the button presses, and its shows me to press forward, then forward and the attack button at the same time, but it works only like 50% of the time for me. This method seems to be much easier, so I'll practice it a lot. But like most moves, I can hit both directional buttons as soon as possible right? And I always have a hard time doing these after a launcher, I'm guessing I have to recover on the ground before I do the input? Since I usually just get the normal attack button and not the run version if I do it too quick.

Any tips on how to do those moves where you gotta input 3 directional motions before an attack? Like forward forward forward 2? Those I can get off like 10% of the time, they seem to be great combo extenders but so damn hard to pull off.

Also the two hit strings where you gotta input a direction and the button at the same time, but you can't hold the direction beforehand too long or you'll just get the down jab version of the move. Those are tricky as well. Usually they are downforward strings, like df2,3 but if you hold df you get Down 2.

Love Project Justice. Aris is totally my long lost brother.

I've got some Dreamcast stuff laying around. If I find it, you can have it. VGA box and a controller adapter that lets you use PS2 and Saturn controllers on it, maybe some other stuff too.
Yay, thanks Hanky! I miss you!

How you liking Tekken? Who you main? I made the jump to Dragunov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back