God of War: Chains of Olympus Thread - Out Now! - 1up: 9.5, IGN: 9.4, GS: 8.5

[quote name='rodeojones903']I played it for about an hour last night, and am loving it so far. Between this, Crisis Core, and Patapon my PSP is getting tons of use.[/quote]

First time I've put any serious time into something other than PSP fighting games (Tekken: Dark Resurrection, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear Judgment, or Darkstalkers Chronicles).

[quote name='fathamburger']Yes you can beat it in about 5 hours, and nearly max your character on the first run through. With your saved data you can go through the game again on the same difficulty in about an hour.

However this is a QUALITY game all the way through, production value is through the roof and deserves a full price day 1 purchase, EASILY.

For everyone complaining about length, this game nearly maxes out the UMD size too. Don't forget the UMD holds less than half a single layer DVD.[/quote]

I maxed out my character in one play through. The game is 1.5 gb. There could have been more levels. But would it have made the game better? Maybe. This is cheap ass gamer. We try to get the most bang for our buck. I am not one of those who wait until a game drops to $20 before I buy anything, but this game hardly warrants the price tag. Yeah it is a blast and only has a handful of flaws and looks great. But the game is just too damn short. It is a fantastic game. I will give it that. But with so many other games out and on the horizon, I can't justify a game that can be beaten in an afternoon or two with hardly any incentive to go back and play. Disgaea is $30 and can literally be played forever. I really can't wait for Crisis Core now. This would have been an awesome budget title.

I finally got my copy yesterday, couldnt pick it up day 1 since it was literally sold out, my friend managed to get me a copy(*cough Cough* hide) and get the game 30 bucks, I just beat it today(total time 5:00:31) man this was awsome. The alanog was really hard to get used to, but other than that this is what everybody needs to play. I was so shocked by the details this game had on a UMD. The score,story, combat system were just so badass. Although short, it was sweet.

Just beat the game. Although the game went by really quick, it was pretty good. I think it is more a rental than a purchase. Unless of course you're a big GoW fan and must own it.

I never had to think twice about using the PSP's controls. They were really a non-issue.

Now back to Patapon. :D

I really want to pick this up, but I think I am going to wait for the bundle. I want a PSP slim, so that seems like a good deal. Demo rocked though, typical GOW

I made this video just to show how fucking awesome it can get, and btw, this is only the demo version. I have the real copy it is so much betttteerrr!

Well, I just beat it on easy. Full maxed and had like 80,000 red orbs. :lol:

Very cool game. I loved in the end where
You had to kill those peaceful souls to regain your power.

I was a bit confused throughout the game since I've never played a GoW game before, but I really want to pick up number 1 now for the story.

I also really, really, really want the GoW PSP.

FInished up the game yesterday and I have to say this has to be one of the best PSP titles yet. I could not put this one down. I am going to work on the challenge things next. Lots of save points makes it a nice portable game for sure. I was very impressed.

Yeah, great game. Beat it this weekend on Hard...took me about 8 hours. I am now going through it on God mode. What fun. I am not sure if I will beat it in God mode or not though, probably just play it and if I get to a point where it gets too tough, etc, I will probably move on. But what a game!

Am I doing myself a disservice by having this game as my first God of War experience? I have the original but have no PS2 to play it on at the moment. Rather than spend $130 on a PS2 (since I will end up getting the MGS4 PS3 bundle), I would rather pay $40 more to get a PSP and this game.

The reason this appeals to me more is because it is portable (I have a 2 hour commute working in NYC so I have plenty of time to play) and it is a short game (too many games to beat and not enough time). Or should I just wait until I play the original first?

[quote name='Kendro']Am I doing myself a disservice by having this game as my first God of War experience? I have the original but have no PS2 to play it on at the moment. Rather than spend $130 on a PS2 (since I will end up getting the MGS4 PS3 bundle), I would rather pay $40 more to get a PSP and this game.

The reason this appeals to me more is because it is portable (I have a 2 hour commute working in NYC so I have plenty of time to play) and it is a short game (too many games to beat and not enough time). Or should I just wait until I play the original first?[/QUOTE]

This is the prequel to the first God of War(i believe), so probably make more sense if you play this first.

[quote name='Kendro']Am I doing myself a disservice by having this game as my first God of War experience? I have the original but have no PS2 to play it on at the moment. Rather than spend $130 on a PS2 (since I will end up getting the MGS4 PS3 bundle), I would rather pay $40 more to get a PSP and this game.

The reason this appeals to me more is because it is portable (I have a 2 hour commute working in NYC so I have plenty of time to play) and it is a short game (too many games to beat and not enough time). Or should I just wait until I play the original first?[/quote]

I've never played a GoW and I'm not having a problem. The action comes first anyway, and that alone is good enough to warrant a playthrough.

The reason this appeals to me more is because it is portable (I have a 2 hour commute working in NYC so I have plenty of time to play) and it is a short game (too many games to beat and not enough time). Or should I just wait until I play the original first?[/QUOTE]

This game totally works as your first GoW title. There are some things in the game/story where if you have played the other two you will be "oh cool, I see..." But nothing major, and you really would not be missing out on anything if you played this first and then played 1 and 2.

I just beat the game today. I really enjoyed it. It's amazing that this was a PSP game.

Has anyone done the Hades Challenges? I'm stuck on #2 and it seems pretty much impossible.

[quote name='primetime']Just finished this up today. Great game. Now I need to track down the first 2.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly after finishing this. I just picked up the first game for a little over $10 on eBay.

Sorry if this was addressed, but does this game have any slowdown in it? I'm playing it off of my memory stick (I usually do that for faster load times) and there was a couple of slowdowns so I was wondering if it is normal or just because of the format I'm playing off of.

[quote name='Blackout542']I just beat the game today. I really enjoyed it. It's amazing that this was a PSP game.

Has anyone done the Hades Challenges? I'm stuck on #2 and it seems pretty much impossible.[/quote]

2 isn't that bad. Use the [],[],[] charged combo with the gauntlet, occasionally omitting the last punch depending on the situation. You have to get the timing down. Also try to make sure you don't get surrounded and remember to dodge and jump to avoid their attacks. 3 charged punches should take care of them.

Now as far as challenge 3...

[quote name='ZForce915']Sorry if this was addressed, but does this game have any slowdown in it? I'm playing it off of my memory stick (I usually do that for faster load times) and there was a couple of slowdowns so I was wondering if it is normal or just because of the format I'm playing off of.[/quote]

Are you using a CSO file by any chance? I believe this is the culprit for the framerate issues on the downloadable demo.

[quote name='ZForce915']Sorry if this was addressed, but does this game have any slowdown in it? I'm playing it off of my memory stick (I usually do that for faster load times) and there was a couple of slowdowns so I was wondering if it is normal or just because of the format I'm playing off of.[/quote]

I haven't had a single bit of slowdown off the UMD.

I just beat this, and I have to say I'm disappointed. It's really a retread of God of War 2 more than anything. It didn't really add anything, and sorta ruined the backstory I felt. The final boss
was insanely disappointing. Small in size, too formulaic, just not God of War like. Everything from the boss before that to the final boss was great. But I still think it hurt the series.

I thought GOW Chains of Olympus is one of the best psp games out. Great graphics, gameplay, and story. The final boss was a little weak but it and the buildup was only ~15 minutes out of the 2-3 hr game. I'd like to see other psp games use automatic cameras. I'd give it a 9.5/10. ONE OF THE BEST PSP GAMES.

I just picked this up finally (had the demo and was interested in it, but never got around to it).

I just passed the part where
The flaming chariot carries Kratos to the underworld
, and I think it could be my favorite PSP game.

I think GoW:CoO is awesome and it's no weak sauce comparing to the PS2 brothers. It's beautifully made and the story is great. The final boss design is weak in size, but that's okay, b/c her purpose is to give us the human aspect of Kratos. Personally, when playing GoW1, i find Kratos' past very fascinating, why he was called the Ghost of Sparta, why he's tired of the Gods? We know he's a killing machine, but very little did we know that he's human too. Chains of Olympus shows us that Kratos is human, a passionate father, a sad soul who's life manipulated by the gods through some twisted fate (no difference to the final boss). This little prequel told us how his hatred toward the god accumlated... Which is the key to GoW I and eventually II. However, the PSP version does not stop there, the chain is linked to GoW III as well. Remember the final boss released
titan Atlas
, well, that will be revisited in GoW III as it did in GoW I.

I just got the GOW bundle with the red PSP about 3 weeks ago. I'm having a blast playing the game, but I'm stuck at the part where the blades are slicing through the floor and you're fighting two more of those axe guys and birds...

[quote name='JMEPO']I just got the GOW bundle with the red PSP about 3 weeks ago. I'm having a blast playing the game, but I'm stuck at the part where the blades are slicing through the floor and you're fighting two more of those axe guys and birds...[/quote]
Dude, i'm stuck in the exact same place. I'm beginning to think i need to restart the game and perhaps try to get a few more orbs in some places.

[quote name='trunks982']its the easiest and shortest GoW game.[/quote]
Your point? It's fun, portable, and looks great. Can't get much better than that.

[quote name='JMEPO']You just don't have enough magic to finish them off.[/quote]
Magic, nor health. I'm going to play through it again (it's fun, so why not) and i'll be sure to make a couple extra save games to be safe.

I'm working my way through it. I like it and don't like. I'm kind of in the middle. I guess the thing I don't like about it is the been there done that feel. It does not add anything new to the game play. I do like the story of kratos though and the fights are good for the most part so I'll keep playing.

[quote name='Baron O Hell']I'm working my way through it. I like it and don't like. I'm kind of in the middle. I guess the thing I don't like about it is the been there done that feel. It does not add anything new to the game play. I do like the story of kratos though and the fights are good for the most part so I'll keep playing.[/quote]
I believe Chains of Olympus is a bridge between God of War 1 and 2...so it would explain why they couldn't really add anything in terms of gameplay seeing as how God of War 2 was already out and established what Kratos could do...

[quote name='JMEPO']I just got the GOW bundle with the red PSP about 3 weeks ago. I'm having a blast playing the game, but I'm stuck at the part where the blades are slicing through the floor and you're fighting two more of those axe guys and birds...[/quote]

It is pretty easy if you take out the birds first by repeatedly pressing O to do the special kill. You will not be attacked during the special kill. For the big guys you can either fight them or use the magic of efreet until you get the O signal.

I heard the game was short, but damn it was so engrossing every step of the way. What a sight to behold on the PSP. Sure it was kind of repetitive in the killing, and there really wasn't much to do, but the production values more than made up for any shortcomings. Felt like an interactive movie the whole time.

One of the best $20 spent (still stings that Amabozo wouldn't match their $15 drop to my BF purchase though). Not sure if I would be as happy spending $40 though.

I did have some slowdown in parts on my Slim when things got crowded. Also stupidly maimed those souls over and over again waiting to get to the final boss. Turned out it glitched and wouldn't let me out to the stairs as the ghosty red face door blocking thingy overstayed his welcome. Had to reendure that droning Persephone (no cutscene skipping deserves a boo.) and off to the Groves I went again.

Yeah I can see people badmouthing this game if they paid 40 and didn't know it was much shorter than the other games in the series. I paid 15, 5 more than I paid for Logans Shadow and I am sure they will be my 2 favorite psp games when I get to play them. The fact that cag helped me get the games for 25 instead of 80 makes it so much sweeter.:applause:

bread's done
Back