Going to India

MrX

CAGiversary!
I will be in Pune for a month. Any cags ever been and can give me any ideas of what to expect? Also I am thinking about sending my 360 down there any thoughts on how I can do that?

[quote name='MrX']I will be in Pune for a month. Any cags ever been and can give me any ideas of what to expect? Also I am thinking about sending my 360 down there any thoughts on how I can do that?[/QUOTE]

tell them to stop taking our jobs :(

I've been to India 3 times in my life. Last time I was there was awhile ago though so it's probably way different now. The technology is really going up fast there.

[quote name='ITDEFX']tell them to stop taking our jobs :([/quote]

Good point, I wish I could and the bad part is that is the reason my company is sending me down there.......

Pune is fairly close to Bombay, yes?

I haven't been to India in, oh, 8 years.

However, things have changed drastically. It's growing at an insane rate, as technology booms and all sorts of things are built (freeways, etc.)

Bombay's a pretty cool city, I have a faint memory of it. Be prepared to be onslaughted with annoying vendors if you visit any tourist attractions, though. ;)

And I believe the drinking water shoul dbe off-limits as the last time I went my family had to drink out of bottled water the whole time.

EDIT: Forgot about the bathrooms. Yup, you'll probably be stuck with the traditional crouching bathrooms if you're outside of the city.

Bring a bunch of hamburgers. And eat them in front of as many people as you can. Then go strangle a cow. They'll love you forever! :D

[quote name='Hex']Bring a bunch of hamburgers. And eat them in front of as many people as you can. Then go strangle a cow. They'll love you forever! :D[/quote]I find that highly offensive, and demand you apologize at once.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I find that highly offensive, and demand you apologize at once.[/quote]

I find it offensive that your post was not also written in Spanish and German. What are the German and Mexican CAGs supposed to do, you senseless asshole? ;)

[quote name='figcoinc']Bang a hot indian chick for us all!!![/quote]

Well he did say he'll be in "pune" for a month. ;)

Leave your 360. You're in another country...explore what it has to offer, delve into its culture. It's a month you might not get to experience again.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Leave your 360. You're in another country...explore what it has to offer, delve into its culture. It's a month you might not get to experience again.[/quote]

Yes this is true but I am going to be working 12 to 14 hrs days so I dont think I will be exploring too much except on the weekends

[quote name='MrX']Yes this is true but I am going to be working 12 to 14 hrs days so I dont think I will be exploring too much except on the weekends[/quote]Well, in that case, bring an inflatable easy chair, a blender, and margarita mix and float peacefully along the Ganges sipping a nice drink to relax as you take in the scenery during your time off. Just mind the crocs, piranha and fecal matter about you.

Bring an oxygen tank/gas mask. From what I've heard from people who have been there, that country smells exactly like shit. Enjoy!

If I had to go there I'd make sure to be as offensive as possible, kicking cows, children, and spreading christianity.

Actually, God's honest truth if my work sent me there, I'd start looking for a new job.

My family is from the more southern part of india and it's more like a suburb than a dense populated city. I've been to Bombay(Mumbai) a couple times, it's a pretty cool place. Not exactly sure where Puna is.
It smells different but not necessarily bad. You'll definitely get used to it if you're there for a month.

Also don't eat the ice cream. That stuff will get you sick. Soda is fine though and boiled water.

Also winter @ India is optimal time because summer time is hell. Be prepared to see lots of wild cows, dogs, and possibly snakes.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Bring an oxygen tank/gas mask. From what I've heard from people who have been there, that country smells exactly like shit. Enjoy!

If I had to go there I'd make sure to be as offensive as possible, kicking cows, children, and spreading christianity.

Actually, God's honest truth if my work sent me there, I'd start looking for a new job.[/quote]

See I am lucky because I do consulting so no worries there at least for now.....

[quote name='figcoinc']Bang a hot indian chick for us all!!![/quote]
Me thinks my wife would kill me for that one.....

India is it's contenent.

Do not consider India part of the Middle East.

The problem with India is that some people are living the way people lived in India since the days of Industrial technology while other people are trying to be like the white man.

People in USA from India can be racist sometimes. Indian people think they are White like European people. They get this idea from the fact that they have straight hair and try to ignore the fact they are dark as dark can be.

They are very beautiful and people can mistake them for spanish people. In fact a couple of Spanish people is moving into the Indian life or is merged into that life.

Again yes India is also considered part of Asia and in fact is. However again you should consider like Asia they live on a diffrent value of life where there money and wages is less then ours but more can be done with the lesser wages.

Now when you think of India think of the movie about Gandi, The time when Ryu and Ken visited Dashlim, and the animation Windaria.

Do not think that if you go down there to enjoy yourself somebody is going to drag you out in the street and call you American pig and then steal your wallet.

However Indian people that are Amerikanized/poor scumbags can be two faced. Where you might be there freind but when you see them in action it wil be another story.

Again many American and European people drop by india so there be no problem while you are there.

The bigger question should be if you are able to use your money there. This is not 1999 where people will take American money.

My dad got back from India about a month ago. Hated it. He's been everywhere. Never heard him say he disliked a place before.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I'll be the odd one out and say take lots of pics. It would be cool to see them.[/quote]
I second that. Please regale us with lots and lots of pictures and some stories upon your return.

[quote name='Maklershed']I second that. Please regale us with lots and lots of pictures and some stories upon your return.[/quote]

I can do that I will try and setup a flickr account and post there but it will be a while I am not going until at least Feb but it will be here before I know it

I have been to India around 9 times in my life. Its very different from the US. Now is a good time to go to India as it won't rain that much and it won't be that hot. Bring a ton of mosquito repellent with you and tons of medicine (especially diarrhea medicine). Don't eat the meat in India as usually they don't prepare it well unless you go to a really fancy restaurant. Avoid drinking water if you go into a restaurant. Drink only boiled water if you can or drink the bottled water as long as the seal isn't broken (be sure to check). Don't drink soda as there are reports of pesticides from water getting into the soda.

There are tons of beggars all over the place (especially in the large cities) and most of the time little kids will come up to you to ask for money. Don't give it to them as usually the are hired by other people to scam you out of money. If you really want to help them, buy them something to eat instead of giving them cash.

Transportation can be a problem depending on where you are going. Your best bet is to get your transportation through your hotel so you know you won't be cheated out of your money (the taxi drivers love to overcharge foreigners).

Which airport(s) will you be going to? If you can, try to avoid Bombay (now know as Mumbai). Every time I go through Mumbai airport I always get trouble from them.

As for the Xbox 360, you need a NTSC to PAL video converter as well as the voltage adapter. If you are staying for a long time, its worth bringing, but if your only going for a month, its not worth it.

[quote name='ananag112']I have been to India around 9 times in my life. Its very different from the US. Now is a good time to go to India as it won't rain that much and it won't be that hot. Bring a ton of mosquito repellent with you and tons of medicine (especially diarrhea medicine). Don't eat the meat in India as usually they don't prepare it well unless you go to a really fancy restaurant. Avoid drinking water if you go into a restaurant. Drink only boiled water if you can or drink the bottled water as long as the seal isn't broken (be sure to check). Don't drink soda as there are reports of pesticides from water getting into the soda.

There are tons of beggars all over the place (especially in the large cities) and most of the time little kids will come up to you to ask for money. Don't give it to them as usually the are hired by other people to scam you out of money. If you really want to help them, buy them something to eat instead of giving them cash.

Transportation can be a problem depending on where you are going. Your best bet is to get your transportation through your hotel so you know you won't be cheated out of your money (the taxi drivers love to overcharge foreigners).

Which airport(s) will you be going to? If you can, try to avoid Bombay (now know as Mumbai). Every time I go through Mumbai airport I always get trouble from them.

As for the Xbox 360, you need a NTSC to PAL video converter as well as the voltage adapter. If you are staying for a long time, its worth bringing, but if your only going for a month, its not worth it.[/quote]

Right on thanks for the advice man

[quote name='jPoD']My dad got back from India about a month ago. Hated it. He's been everywhere. Never heard him say he disliked a place before.[/QUOTE]

Cause he's Jewish, come on a Jew going to India. He's asking for trouble, haha I kid.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']DON'T EAT WITH YOUR LEFT HAND, FOR fuck's SAKE![/quote]

Wouldnt the better advice be to not accept food that someone is handing to you with their left hand?

[quote name='CrimGhost']Cause he's Jewish, come on a Jew going to India. He's asking for trouble, haha I kid.[/QUOTE]

ell....oh.....ell......?

No.

MrX, Pune is a pretty safe place. If you are going to be working for a tech company I assume they are taking care of all the arrangements so I won't go into too much detail. If you need to choose a hotel yourself, try to stay in the western areas of the city.

Language shouldn't be a problem. Most people speak at least a bit of English, and the people you're working with will of course speak English fluently.

Bombay (Mumbai) is a 2 or 3 hour drive away, and there is a freeway between the two cities so it's pretty easy to get there by bus or limo if you want to visit. The bus costs only $2 or something.

Like in any urban area in the world, try to stay away from the poorer areas like the slums unless you know what you're doing. Obviously most poor people won't try to mug you but if you're not used to places like that, it's probably not a good idea.

Food won't be a problem either. If you like traveling there's plenty to see and do, but it sounds like you won't have time.

They actually sell 360's in India, so maybe you'll meet someone who has one...or maybe not. Anyway it's not worth the hassle to take yours with you for just a month.

[quote name='jPoD']ell....oh.....ell......?

No.[/QUOTE]

You know it's true. Anyway, since you're going during the winter it shouldn't be too bad. Visit some cd and dvd shops if you're looking for full seasons of tv shows, it should be like $5 for a season of the Simpsons or Family Guy, sometimes they come in gatefold packaging. And visit a hash cafe or two.

[quote name='rickonker']MrX, Pune is a pretty safe place. If you are going to be working for a tech company I assume they are taking care of all the arrangements so I won't go into too much detail. If you need to choose a hotel yourself, try to stay in the western areas of the city.

Language shouldn't be a problem. Most people speak at least a bit of English, and the people you're working with will of course speak English fluently.

Bombay (Mumbai) is a 2 or 3 hour drive away, and there is a freeway between the two cities so it's pretty easy to get there by bus or limo if you want to visit. The bus costs only $2 or something.

Like in any urban area in the world, try to stay away from the poorer areas like the slums unless you know what you're doing. Obviously most poor people won't try to mug you but if you're not used to places like that, it's probably not a good idea.

Food won't be a problem either. If you like traveling there's plenty to see and do, but it sounds like you won't have time.

They actually sell 360's in India, so maybe you'll meet someone who has one...or maybe not. Anyway it's not worth the hassle to take yours with you for just a month.[/quote]

Sounds like you have been is there, anywhere you would recommend going? Also I just found out I will not be going till around mid feb to march and I will have someone else going with me so my workload is going to be much lighter!!!1!!

Just an update I am leaving in about a week and a half and it has been moved to kolkata(calcutta) and here is the flickr page will I shall post pics.(http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_x_88/) I will also be in london for about 12 hrs before I hit India so I shall snag some photos from there as well. I may try and do a blog as well although I have not really thought too much about it yet.

[quote name='MrX']Just an update I am leaving in about a week and a half and it has been moved to kolkata(calcutta) and here is the flickr page will I shall post pics.(http://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_x_88/) I will also be in london for about 12 hrs before I hit India so I shall snag some photos from there as well. I may try and do a blog as well although I have not really thought too much about it yet.[/quote]

I just read a horror novel entitled "Song of Kali" about the horrors of Calcutta. My mom tells me it has improved but goodluck anyways.

[quote name='CitizenB']Someone mentioned not eating with your left hand, or taking food from someone holding it in their left hand. Why?[/quote]

IIRC, they wipe their arses with that hand, so it's considered disrespectful. :lol:

[quote name='Hex']IIRC, they wipe their arses with that hand, so it's considered disrespectful. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I see, I thought universally the world wiped with the right hand. The left hand just seems awkward.

[quote name='Hex']IIRC, they wipe their arses with that hand, so it's considered disrespectful. :lol:[/QUOTE]

You laugh but I'm left handed so I don't find it funny and if they got all pissed when I tried shaking their hand with my left I'd ask them if they hated Left Handers.

MrX, if you see any Indian edition My Little Ponies while you're there would you pick one up for me? (I know in the 80s there were a few MLPs which were made in India, but I dont know if Hasbro sells the new line over there now.)

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I find that highly offensive, and demand you apologize at once.[/quote] [quote name='Hex']I find it offensive that your post was not also written in Spanish and German. [/quote]
Das ist sehr beleidigend. Entschuldigen sich. Jetzt.

[quote name='Sarang01']You laugh but I'm left handed so I don't find it funny and if they got all pissed when I tried shaking their hand with my left I'd ask them if they hated Left Handers.[/quote]

Is it really that hard to shake with either hand? If you didn't know okay, someone would eventually correct you but once you know, no need to be stuck up about it.

[quote name='Sarang01']You laugh but I'm left handed so I don't find it funny and if they got all pissed when I tried shaking their hand with my left I'd ask them if they hated Left Handers.[/quote]Uh-huh. And then they'll probably laugh too and shake with their left hand. Not something I'd recommend doing. Unless you like bacteria and... well lets leave it at that.

Guinevere it's more than that. People have forced left handers to learn to write right handed. Why if I may ask? I mean it's insutling. How would you feel in my position? They're implying something wrong with the left hand when it's only good enough to wipe one's ass on this India subject as well as the Middle East in general. How would you feel if that's the natural hand you write with?

bread's done
Back