Golgo 13's No Pantsu Anime & Manga Thread

I find Shirou Masamune's manga somewhat awkward to read (dialogue mixed with his unique art style) and prefer it when his manga series are turned into anime series (Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed). The tone between his manga and the anime adaptations is quite different, and in this case, it is a rare instance where the anime is superior. The manga is a lot more friendly and less serious. The manga reads more like Akira than Kamiyadori. In fact, I think Kamiyadori does the police theme a lot better than Ghost in the Shell. His next project, Real Drive, debuts early next month. Be on the lookout for it.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Final Fantasy - Legend of the Crystals
Initial D (Volume 11)
Legend of Lemneer (Already seen this one)
MD Geist (Already seen this one)
MD Geist 2 (Already seen this one)
Maze (Whirlwind Showdown - Already seen this one)
Sailor Moon S The Movie - Hearts of Ice
Slayers Try (The Love Eternal , The Showdown , Touch and Go)
Slayers Next (The Phantom City)[/QUOTE]
Most of it is garbage, but I'd say Sailor Moon and Slayers are the most watchable in the bunch. Slayers is mostly mindless fluff, but it seems to survive on fan nostalgia. Oh, and Legend of the Crystals might be worth keeping if you're a Final Fantasy fan, seeing as that never got a DVD release.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Most of it is garbage, but I'd say Sailor Moon and Slayers are the most watchable in the bunch. Slayers is mostly mindless fluff, but it seems to survive on fan nostalgia. Oh, and Legend of the Crystals might be worth keeping if you're a Final Fantasy fan, seeing as that never got a DVD release.[/QUOTE]

I completly predicted that this would be your response , right down to the minor defense of Sailor Moon , Slayers and Final Fantasy.;) On a side note , I'm guessing the odds of Final Fantasy getting a DVD release are pretty slim.

As for what I thought of the shows that I've seen:
Final Fantasy : Legend of the Crystals - Entertaining , but weird , especially the whole the crystal hides in the girls butt thing.:booty: It's even stranger when you consider the show is supposed to be a followup to the FF5 game and might even be canonical.:shock:
Legend of Lemneer - Short , shallow , but mildly entertaining. Actually thought the show had a decent setup and if given more time might have actually been alright.
MD Geist 1+2 - Ah the perfect compliment to the previous discussion of mindless splattery action junk. Thought they were ok , but were completly forgettable , and that #2 had a totally idiotic ending. I actually picked these two up as a cheap dvd release a few years ago so I don't even know why I re-bought the VHS.:dunce:
Maze : Whirlwind Showdown - Not really enough humor or action to be really good , just kinda meh.

Down to the last volume of Haibane Renmei , hope to finish the show off today.

I got the premiere issus of PiQ in the mail with my GiTS order.

I have to say that after skimming the mag, I like it. It isn't just anime-themed. It has american comic tidbits, game previews, an Avatar article, and even an article on the Sarah Connor Chronicles. It certainly doesn't make the demise of Newtype easier to take, but PiQ could be decent. It reminds me of Play magazine except leaning more in the anime route than game route.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I got the premiere issus of PiQ in the mail with my GiTS order.

I have to say that after skimming the mag, I like it. It isn't just anime-themed. It has american comic tidbits, game previews, an Avatar article, and even an article on the Sarah Connor Chronicles. It certainly doesn't make the demise of Newtype easier to take, but PiQ could be decent. It reminds me of Play magazine except leaning more in the anime route than game route.[/QUOTE]

Sounds Interesting. I had considered getting Newtype several times before it shut down , maybe I ought to look into getting PiQ now.

Oh and since nobody else seems interested in guessing my age anymore , I'll go ahead and say (for the 0 people that probably care) that I'm 23 , go me.\\:D/

[quote name='StarKnightX']Sounds Interesting. I had considered getting Newtype several times before it shut down , maybe I ought to look into getting PiQ now.

Oh and since nobody else seems interested in guessing my age anymore , I'll go ahead and say (for the 0 people that probably care) that I'm 23 , go me.\\:D/[/quote]

Yeah, I wanted to get a subscription but most of the time I'd just get it at Wal-Mart or Waldenbooks.

I didn't even realize there was an age guessing game going on.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yeah, I wanted to get a subscription but most of the time I'd just get it at Wal-Mart or Waldenbooks.

I didn't even realize there was an age guessing game going on.[/QUOTE]

I always hesitated on getting a subscription due to its high price , $75 for a year I think it was.:bomb:

Oh and you haven't been keeping up with posts then very well if you didn't know there was an age guessing game going on.;) Check back on the last page of the old thread and about halfway down the first page of this thread.

Edit: Don't really worry about it guile. Considering only two people guessed , I don't think anybody really wanted or cared to know , I was just playing around some.:)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I got the premiere issus of PiQ in the mail with my GiTS order.

I have to say that after skimming the mag, I like it. It isn't just anime-themed. It has american comic tidbits, game previews, an Avatar article, and even an article on the Sarah Connor Chronicles. It certainly doesn't make the demise of Newtype easier to take, but PiQ could be decent. It reminds me of Play magazine except leaning more in the anime route than game route.[/quote]

I know I've been out of it for a while but when did Newtype die out?

[quote name='StarKnightX']Oh and since nobody else seems interested in guessing my age anymore , I'll go ahead and say (for the 0 people that probably care) that I'm 23 , go me.\\:D/[/quote]

Heh heh, I care! Not that much, but I care. ;)

By the way, I can't actually do this until I get home but does anyone have any interest in old Newtype USA volumes? I cleared a bunch out from earlier but I still have a whole load of them left and, save for the two I plan on keeping since I have friends' contributions in there, they're just taking up room.

Just checking interest, really. I could really do better things with the extra foot of space and it's just a waste to chuck them out if someone else would rather have them for whatever reason. That and you can use them for ransom notes and my fingerprints will be all over th...STRIKE THAT!!! NEVERMIND!

[quote name='StarKnightX']I completly predicted that this would be your response , right down to the minor defense of Sailor Moon , Slayers and Final Fantasy.;) On a side note , I'm guessing the odds of Final Fantasy getting a DVD release are pretty slim.[/QUOTE]
Aw, you think about me when I'm not around! :D

Slim to none on a Final Fantasy OVA DVD release. It was a Pioneer (now Geneon) license, and I doubt it sold well enough on VHS. Those two tapes, along with Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Summer Vacation are my only remaining VHS tapes!

Oh, and my guess is 25.

[quote name='jaykrue']I know I've been out of it for a while but when did Newtype die out?[/QUOTE]
A few months ago, at the same time as ADV's Anime ADVocates program, and right before their release schedule was in question. Led to a lot of speculation about ADV's future in the industry.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']A few months ago, at the same time as ADV's Anime ADVocates program, and right before their release schedule was in question. Led to a lot of speculation about ADV's future in the industry.[/quote]

Damn shame. I really liked the magazine and would buy one whenever I stopped by B & N or Borders.

Hmmm, anyone know anything about Mnemosyne or Straitjacket. I just noticed this series & was wondering if anyone thought it was decent enough to watch.

OMFG Fatal Fury. >.< I loved that movie. I still have the song from it stuck in my head. Oh Angel!

The anime I'm trying to get on DVD but can't afford yet is Fruits Basket. That and Kaleido Star. Would like to get Princess Tutu too, but I've seen the entire series already so I can wait on it til I get the first two.

[quote name='jaykrue']Hmmm, anyone know anything about Mnemosyne or Straitjacket. I just noticed this series & was wondering if anyone thought it was decent enough to watch.[/quote]

I have the first episode of Mnemosyne on my computer back in DC. Haven't watched it yet but it seemed like it could be interesting. Maybe I'll check that out when I get back.

[quote name='BluesCluesMama']OMFG Fatal Fury. >.< I loved that movie. I still have the song from it stuck in my head. Oh Angel!

The anime I'm trying to get on DVD but can't afford yet is Fruits Basket. That and Kaleido Star. Would like to get Princess Tutu too, but I've seen the entire series already so I can wait on it til I get the first two.[/quote]

Yes! Fatal Fury is awesome. I like The Motion Picture more than the OVAs, but it's all good.

I am trying to fill my missing Kaleido Star volumes. I still need volumes 3 and 4 from season 1.

What DVDs is everyone watching? Right now I am watching GiTS. Man its sweet to finally have the DVDs. I hate the "box" the first season is in though. It's kind of lame. The 2nd Gig box is sweet though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Yes! Fatal Fury is awesome. I like The Motion Picture more than the OVAs, but it's all good.

I am trying to fill my missing Kaleido Star volumes. I still need volumes 3 and 4 from season 1.

What DVDs is everyone watching? Right now I am watching GiTS. Man its sweet to finally have the DVDs. I hate the "box" the first season is in though. It's kind of lame. The 2nd Gig box is sweet though.[/QUOTE]

The only fighting game based anime I think I've ever seen was Battle Arena Toshinden. It wasn't very good , but it was kinda entertaining in its badness.

I'm more than halfway thru Azumanga Daioh. I knew the show was (would be) funny but it's surprised me that its funnier than I thought it would be. I always end up feeling bad for Miss Sakaki whenever theres something cute.

Finished watching Haibane Renmei about a week ago , great show. About the only things I didn't like about it was how they didn't spend much time talking about the abandoned factory , thought that they could've done more with that. Also didn't like how the show ended up being so vague about what the deal with the city was or why the haibane were there , but I suppose it's for the better that they kinda kept it mysterious.

[quote name='StarKnightX']
I'm more than halfway thru Azumanga Daioh. I knew the show was (would be) funny but it's surprised me that its funnier than I thought it would be. I always end up feeling bad for Miss Sakaki whenever theres something cute.

[/quote]

Yeah, she's always nice to everyone and everything, yet cats treat her like crap.

Got a chance to pick up my Fatal Fury Movie in the mail! Disc is flawless and everything looks in order. I got an awesome deal! :cool:

I kind of wish I got the OVA from the seller too, but the Motion Picture is what I wanted most.

I'm trying to grab a copy of Macross Plus; anybody think its worth the 6 hours of viewing, and the $40 price tag? I'm interested based on the co-director Shinichiro Watanabe(Samurai Champloo), and I don't know anyone who's seen it.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Woohoo!

I saw this Buy It Now for Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture on eBay and I snagged it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fatal-Fury-The-...goryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$15 plus $5 shipping. The seller has good feedback so hopefully I just got a great deal. He/she also had Fatal FUry Double Impact, but I can wait on that.[/quote]

i got that for $10 along time ago. ALso is speedgrapher,moonphasem trinityblood box set worth getting?

After having it on the harddrive for a few months, i finally started and got through most of Darker Than Black this weekend. I'm up to episode 19. The show is great looking in HD (not Shinkai quality, but still really good). I just hope the conclusion is good as it seems kind of iffy thus far.

Speaking of HD. There have been some new updates to the Blu-Ray list this week (more Gundam crap, ugh). For the sake of saving space i put the BR anime list in the spoiler tag.

Japan (will play in all Region 1 Blu-Ray players, however they cost anywhere from $45-$100 for one movie):

* Project Papo
* Brave Story
* Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
* Air TV series (upconvert)
* Iblard Jikan
* Patlabor the movie 1
* FLAG Director's Edition - Issenman no Kufura no Kiroku
* Patlabor the movie 2
* Ghost in the Shell
* Steamboy
* Avalon
* Jin-roh
* Patlabor Movie 3: WXIII
* Spriggan
* Metropolis
* Memories
* Utawarerumono Box Set
* Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
* Escaflowne the Movie
* Afro Samurai movie
* Mobile Suit Gundam F91
* Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
* Perfect Blue
* .hack//G.U. TRILOGY, 03/25/08
* Stranger - Mukoh Hadan, 04/11/08
* The Place Promised in Our Early Days, 04/18/08
* 5cm Per Second, 04/18/08
* Ghost in the shell: SAC trilogy, 07/25/08
* Jarinko Chie, 07/25/08
* Sherlock Hound, 07/25/08
* Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War (08/22/08)
* Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 (OAV) (09/26/08)
* Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children, TBA
* Akira, (delayed, no new date)

USA:

* Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within,
* Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise
* Tekkon Kinkreet
* DBZ double feature: Broly movies
* Jin-Roh
* Paprika
* SOS! Tokyo Metro Explorers: The Next
* Appleseed Ex Machina
* Yukikaze Box Set (upconvert), 04/07/08
* DBZ Movies: Dead Zone/World's Strongest, 5/27/2008
* Batman: Gothic Knight, 7/08/2008

I cant wait for 5cm per second & Place Promised In Our Early Days. I've seen HD tv rips, but i can only imagine how good they look with 5-10x the bitrate. Unfortunately the $45-$55 per movie is a bit out of my price range. Hopefully ADV will pick them up eventually.

[quote name='karsh']I have the first episode of Mnemosyne on my computer back in DC. Haven't watched it yet but it seemed like it could be interesting. Maybe I'll check that out when I get back.[/quote]

Just saw it myself. From what I've seen, the tone seems a bit like elfen lied w/ a touch of highlander though I'm sure I'll be proven wrong given time & more released eps.

[quote name='Bezerker']
Speaking of HD. There have been some new updates to the Blu-Ray list this week (more Gundam crap, ugh). For the sake of saving space i put the BR anime list in the spoiler tag.
[/quote]

Char's Counteratttack was really good.

[quote name='xeno']ALso is speedgrapher,moonphasem trinityblood box set worth getting?[/QUOTE]
Definitely not, unless you're getting them for a ridiculously cheap price. All three fall in the "moderately bad" category.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I liked Speedgrapher, so that probably means it's bad.[/QUOTE]
This is becoming a remarkably accurate way to judge shows. Amazing!

It still hasn't been announced to my knowledge. I also don't see it on the Spring or Summer schedule.

As for anime I'm watching, in deciding to switch all my anime from CDs to DVDs, I've just watched 20 episodes of One Piece.

[quote name='Ozzkev55']I'm trying to grab a copy of Macross Plus; anybody think its worth the 6 hours of viewing, and the $40 price tag? I'm interested based on the co-director Shinichiro Watanabe(Samurai Champloo), and I don't know anyone who's seen it.[/QUOTE]
Macross Plus is amazing. Definitely worth it.

Just got back from Anime Boston. The Pillows were awesome!

[quote name='assassinX']Whens the second season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya coming out? I just cant wait.[/quote]

We're all waiting in leashed anticipation like everyone else.:cry: Hopefully it'll be soon. In the meantime, if you like anime that refers to other anime, check out Lucky Star. One of the main characters (she's my sig) is a female otaku who occasionally references Haruhi (not to mention that her voice actress is the same person as Haruhi Suzumiya's) and other anime.

I don't know how everyone else feels, but I kind of like the Anime Legends bricks from Bandai. I just got in Please Twins! today.

Anybody watching Gundam 00? For a series that is just now about to reach the halfway point it has easily already made Tomino proud, the amount of character death is getting high as hell

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I don't know how everyone else feels, but I kind of like the Anime Legends bricks from Bandai. I just got in Please Twins! today.[/QUOTE]

Return it. Trust me.

One of the worst series that I've had the misfortune of seeing.

[quote name='coolsteel']Anybody watching Gundam 00? For a series that is just now about to reach the halfway point it has easily already made Tomino proud, the amount of character death is getting high as hell[/quote]

I am but I haven't watched past episode 17. I love that it's in HD.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Return it. Trust me.

One of the worst series that I've had the misfortune of seeing.[/quote]

Meh. If you're putting money down for it it is pretty bad but it's fine if you enjoy light romantic comedies like that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I don't know how everyone else feels, but I kind of like the Anime Legends bricks from Bandai. I just got in Please Twins! today.[/quote]

those bricks are pretty cool due to their price. you get a whole series for like $30-$40.

5 more episodes of Azumanga Daioh left. I especially liked episode 21 , miss sakaki finally got to cuddle a cat , and ironically enough it was a wildcat.:lol:

Well at least that's one thing off my list of things I hoped to see before the end of the show. Lets see if the rest of them happen as well.

Got a question , although this is probably primarily aimed at Kirin I'll ask it to everyone anyway , I've been interested in trying (trying being the optimal word) to learn to read / write / speak japanese for a while now and was wondering if there were any good resources for beginners. I know Right Stuff carries a bunch of How to learn Japanese books and things but I didn't really know how good any of them were and didn't want to invest money in a poor product. Any help here would be appreciated.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Return it. Trust me.

One of the worst series that I've had the misfortune of seeing.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, Please Teacher is much worse.

[quote name='Hostile']Meh. If you're putting money down for it it is pretty bad but it's fine if you enjoy light romantic comedies like that.[/QUOTE]
I think you meant "light incest comedy."

Has anyone seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

If so, how is it?

My interests in it have been peaked, wondering if it's worth the time to acquire it.

[quote name='zewone']Has anyone seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

If so, how is it?

My interests in it have been peaked, wondering if it's worth the time to acquire it.[/QUOTE]

I know Jaykrue likes it a lot. Don't know anything about it myself though.

bread's done
Back