Golgo 13's No Pantsu Anime & Manga Thread

Yeah, definitely watch it Zew. I wasn't sure at first, cause I've never been a huge fan of mecha anime. But Gurren Lagann was absolutely amazing. It might be my favorite anime I've seen in a long while. The characters are just awesome, and in HD it looks amazing.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I know Jaykrue likes it a lot. Don't know anything about it myself though.[/quote]

I fcuking loved it. :bouncy: The characters are over-the-top as well as the unconventional animation style. I also liked the fact that characters are fleshed out instead of staying one-dimensional. As I'm not normally a fan of big robot anime, I can definitely say this is one of the few that I give exception to.

The only big robot anime I loved was NGE.

I don't care for any others, but I have high hopes for this.

It's going to be awhile though...HD files are huge with very little seeders. :cry:

[quote name='MarkMan']

Gundam 00 >> anything since Turn A[/QUOTE]

No arguments there, Seed , Destiny, hell Igloo are all paling compared to 00

My favorite Big Robot Anime? Big O

bigozv9.jpg

[quote name='jaykrue']We're all waiting in leashed anticipation like everyone else.:cry: Hopefully it'll be soon. In the meantime, if you like anime that refers to other anime, check out Lucky Star. One of the main characters (she's my sig) is a female otaku who occasionally references Haruhi (not to mention that her voice actress is the same person as Haruhi Suzumiya's) and other anime.[/quote]

Cool I will check out Lucky Star. :)

[quote name='crystalklear64']Lucky Star? Pedo.

In other news, One Piece is still getting better and better 90 something episodes in.[/QUOTE]

I've gotten bored to tears with it about 200 episodes in, starts to go nowhere

It's still a lot better than Naruto, Hunter x Hunter or Bleach. (just to piss people off)

I'm still loving it and I think the single reason that screws One Piece over is not watching or reading an arc in it's entirety. One Piece has the best arcs in any anime... that I can remember this second.

[quote name='coolsteel']No arguments there, Seed , Destiny, hell Igloo are all paling compared to 00[/QUOTE]
Seed and especially Destiny pale in comparison to everything. They suck. Haven't seen 00 yet, but hopefully Gundam can reclaim its good name.

Best mecha anime is either Zeta Gundam or Gunbuster.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Seed and especially Destiny pale in comparison to everything. They suck. Haven't seen 00 yet, but hopefully Gundam can reclaim its good name.

Best mecha anime is either Zeta Gundam or Gunbuster.[/QUOTE]

I've seen Zeta Gundam and was bored to tears, Kamille's story was weak as hell compared to the Amuro/ Char rivalry, ended up selling my set to some guy in singapore. Seed wasn't that bad, it had some good moments , but 00 just destroys them all .

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Seed and especially Destiny pale in comparison to everything. They suck. Haven't seen 00 yet, but hopefully Gundam can reclaim its good name.

Best mecha anime is either Zeta Gundam or Gunbuster.[/QUOTE]

I thought Gundam Seed was alright , although I haven't seen nearly as much gundam as I would like to have to compare it too. Only other gundam shows I've seen in there entirety include:
G Gundam
0080 War in the Pocket (Own the dvds)
8th MS Team
Char's Counterattack

Char's Counterattack confused the hell outta me , but since I hadn't seen any of the shows that led up to it , I wasn't surprised. I've seen bits of Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam and 0083 but never the whole series of any of them. Probably my favorite Gundam show that I have seen completly would be G Gundam.

Damnation!

I have a standalone Memorex DVD player that I use to play DVDs (I like the options with it). Well, I left in my Ghost in The Shell volume 1 in last night and decided to eject it and play a DVD while I go to bed. I plug the player in and the red power light is on, yet the player won't come on, won't eject, nothing. All this despite the power light being on. This thing just died on me in some way, but I need to get my DVD. So I take the cover off and pull on the tray to get the disc. I hear awful scratching sound. My disc from my Season on set that I just received in the mail last Friday is ruined. :bomb:

So now I have to order another volume 1 from Rightstuf because of my fucking DVD player. I never had a DVD player fail on me, but I thought when I pulled on the tray the disc would just come out as usual. Damn I'm mad at myself. :bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='StarKnightX']Probably my favorite Gundam show that I have seen completly would be G Gundam.[/QUOTE]
Better be careful. I agree with that which means you have bad taste.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']So now I have to order another volume 1 from Rightstuf because of my fucking DVD player. I never had a DVD player fail on me, but I thought when I pulled on the tray the disc would just come out as usual. Damn I'm mad at myself. :bomb::bomb::bomb:[/quote]

That sucks. If its any consolation, Buy.com have Season 1 Volume 1 for $1.28 shipped after GCO.

http://www.buy.com/prod/ghost-in-the-shell-stand-alone-complex-vol-1/q/loc/322/40242420.html

I know this forum is for non-deals, but cant hurt to help out ppl.

Just finished watching Yugo the Negotiator. Definitely interesting, and was different than from anything else I've seen.

I'm not a huge fan of the giant robot stuff, but I did enjoy 08th MS team and G Gundam.

I can't wait for anime to start being released in Blu-Ray. Finally get some sweet HD action going. I'm also hoping funimation will take the opportunity to finally release DBZ in Blu-Ray without some major screw up.

[quote name='Bezerker']That sucks. If its any consolation, Buy.com have Season 1 Volume 1 for $1.28 shipped after GCO.

http://www.buy.com/prod/ghost-in-the-shell-stand-alone-complex-vol-1/q/loc/322/40242420.html

I know this forum is for non-deals, but cant hurt to help out ppl.[/quote]

Thanks. Unfortunately, I already used GCO before. I still might get it from them because that is still the lowest price I have seen for a new copy.

I'm going to check my local gamestore before I do anything. Sometimes they get used anime in and they might have this.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Better be careful. I agree with that which means you have bad taste.[/QUOTE]

You also implied that you like One Piece a few posts back , so maybe your bad taste isn't completly as bad as previously thought.;) On that note , One Piece is great and is even better now that 4kids isn't mangling up the show anymore.

G Gundam is great just for its sheer campiness.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Just finished watching Yugo the Negotiator. Definitely interesting, and was different than from anything else I've seen.[/quote]

Never heard of it. What's it about?

[quote name='coolsteel']I've seen Zeta Gundam and was bored to tears, Kamille's story was weak as hell compared to the Amuro/ Char rivalry, ended up selling my set to some guy in singapore. Seed wasn't that bad, it had some good moments , but 00 just destroys them all .[/QUOTE]
Of course Kamille's story wasn't as interesting as Char/Amuro rivalry. That was the greatest rivalry of all time. But on a whole, Zeta was just a better story. Though the original series is a close second.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx'] I'm also hoping funimation will take the opportunity to finally release DBZ in Blu-Ray without some major screw up.[/quote]

Their season sets are cropped widescreen, their first blu-ray release was a cropped widescreen, i'm guessing all the rest will be the same.

I think the only thing that could top the quality and demand of DBZ on Blu-Ray would be Shin Chan on Blu-ray.

[quote name='jaykrue']Never heard of it. What's it about?[/quote]It deals with a guy named Yugo who goes to various places to negotiate the freedom of victims. The series is short (about 12 episodes), and he only visits Pakistan and Russia. The two story arcs are actually directed and done by two different teams. Pakistan is the better of the two.

He goes to Pakistan to rescue a businessman. While there he has to deal with both the kidnappers and the Pakistani military. All the while trying his best to get a grasp of local customs, and of course trying to grapple with Islam.

Then he goes to Russia to try and bring a little girl back to Japan. Unfortunately for him, there is some crazy commander who doesn't want to relinquish the girl because she is an important piece of a puzzle that would lead to an insane amount of money. The commander wants to use that money to take Russia back to the old "glory" days of communism and state control.

While in these locales he has to go through quite a bit to rescue the hostages, mainly torture. So if you have a weak stomach in terms of torture, don't watch. It doesn't get too gruesome, though.

Also, the series goes to far lengths to be as accurate as possible, which is a nice touch. If you get the DVDs, watch some of the commentary from the producer and cultural expert.

Hopefully I have you enough information.

Well just finished watching Azumanga Daioh and was overall very satisfied with the show. I would've appreciated an epilogue to show us what happened to the characters after high school was over but it's not a big deal , I just like things like that. By the way , how is the manga compared to the anime?

Also , out of my list of 5 (at least) things I wanted to see happen by the end of the show , I got 2. Points to anybody who can guess what I wanted to see happen that didn't happen (big points for two of them since they were fairly minor things).

So that's two shows off my backlog now , my updated list :
Haibane Renmei
Azumanga Daioh

Escaflowne
GTO
Last Exile
Witch Hunter Robin
Zone of the Enders
Record of the Lodess War
Space Pirate Captain Herlock
Niea under 7
Tenchi in Tokyo
Final Fantasy Unlimited

Next up Escaflowne.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Also , out of my list of 4 (at least) things I wanted to see happen by the end of the show , I got 2. Points to anybody who can guess what I wanted to see happen that didn't happen (big points for one of them since it was a fairly minor thing).[/quote]

I'm guessing one might be seeing them go to college? The other seeing Miss Yukari drive like she has some sense? :lol:

Escaflowne - Decent show...has legend status it probably doesn't deserve
GTO - Great, entertaining
Witch Hunter Robin - Severely disappointing
Record of the Lodess War - Average, typical
Niea under 7 - Unbelievably boring, depressing, and disappointing

Anyway I've started watching Gurren Lagann since it's #1 on everyone's top 10 of 2007 list. I hate mecha anime but I'm trying to give it a shot. Two eps in, everyone seems kinda typical and meh. Someone convince me that this changes and everything is awesome later.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Someone convince me that this changes and everything is awesome later.[/quote]

This changes and everything is awesome later.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm guessing one might be seeing them go to college? The other seeing Miss Yukari drive like she has some sense? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Well that kinda went along with me wanting to see an epilogue of what happened to everyone after high school. Maybe they could use that as a base for a second series / season?:) (Wishful thinking , I know;).)

Miss Yukari driving like she has some sense would take away the fun of her character.

So no neither of those were it , although I did remember another thing I wanted to see , which brought my list up to 5. Noted that in my previous post. Any other quesses anyone?

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Please tell me you weren't hoping for a lesbian kiss.[/QUOTE]

Your closer , but more wholesome (I guess?). Even I would've known not to expect that , and even if it was done as a gag it probably would've been kinda awkward.
Anyone else? Don't forget you got 3 different things I was thinking of.
Here's my list with hints in place of the ones that didn't happen:

1)Miss Sakaki making peace with a cat. (Check)
2)Miss Sakaki getting a pet. (Check)
3)Something with Kaorin
4)Something with Yomi
5)Something with Chiyo-chan

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze'] Anyway I've started watching Gurren Lagann since it's #1 on everyone's top 10 of 2007 list. I hate mecha anime but I'm trying to give it a shot. Two eps in, everyone seems kinda typical and meh. Someone convince me that this changes and everything is awesome later.[/quote]

As you keep watching, make sure to keep the idea of the spiral in your mind. There's a lot more to the anime than you'd think, especially in the idea of a spiral. Also, how can you not love a show where it seems like every episode you have someone yelling "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!??!" Just talking about Gurren Lagann makes me want to watch it again and it's only been maybe two weeks since I watched it.

Just finished reading through the email with the right stuff weekly specials. Seems like they have a lot of good deals this week but I might be wrong. Any suggestions of what might be a good deal to pick up? Link below for convience:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/IrdwKkakRyQkmvnzdr/browse/category/4/153/0

Or might it be better to pick something up from the spring cleaning sale which runs till sunday instead? My craving for anime is starting to return and I'm looking for good deals to add to my collection.

[quote name='karsh']As you keep watching, make sure to keep the idea of the spiral in your mind. There's a lot more to the anime than you'd think, especially in the idea of a spiral. Also, how can you not love a show where it seems like every episode you have someone yelling "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!??!" Just talking about Gurren Lagann makes me want to watch it again and it's only been maybe two weeks since I watched it.[/quote]

Yes.:drool:

/thread.

Just finished Gundam 00 episode 25. Can't believe I have to wait till October for the second season. :whistle2:(

At least Code Geass season 2 is coming out soon.

I finished Darker Than Black and watched Howl's Moving Castle for the first time last night. Cant say I was too impressed with either. DTB looked great, and was enjoyable up until near the end with the revelation about the syndicate. Howl's looked great as well (watched a 720p rip), but it kinda confused me with the age changes and whatnot.

I think I'm going to finally watch Genshiken Season 2, then I'll get into Dennou Coil, which has been sitting on my harddrive almost as long as DTB.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Just finished reading through the email with the right stuff weekly specials. Seems like they have a lot of good deals this week but I might be wrong. Any suggestions of what might be a good deal to pick up? Link below for convience:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/IrdwKkakRyQkmvnzdr/browse/category/4/153/0

Or might it be better to pick something up from the spring cleaning sale which runs till sunday instead? My craving for anime is starting to return and I'm looking for good deals to add to my collection.[/quote]

Well, I am of the mindset that if it is cheap it's worth giving it a shot. Bear in mind I am not sure if any of these are in your collection or not...

These are items I saw of note...

Burn Up Scramble boxset $15.99 (Haven't watched my copy yet)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex $48.99
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd Gig) $48.99
Phantom Quest Corp. $5.99 (Haven't watched my copy yet)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well, I am of the mindset that if it is cheap it's worth giving it a shot. Bear in mind I am not sure if any of these are in your collection or not...

These are items I saw of note...

Burn Up Scramble boxset $15.99 (Haven't watched my copy yet)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex $48.99
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (2nd Gig) $48.99
Phantom Quest Corp. $5.99 (Haven't watched my copy yet)[/QUOTE]

My collection , sadly , is pretty small so I think the odds of you mentioning something I already have is pretty low (not counting the shows I've mentioned previously in the thread of course;)) So suggest away.

That aside , I was considering the GitS : SAC season sets myself. I've been putting them off every time they go on sale , so maybe now I should bite. I was also looking at the .hack LotT Anime Legends Box. That one is more of a case of "Is it a good deal?" vs "Is it any good?" , since I've already seen and enjoyed most of it and was considering grabbing it now to add to my meager .hack collection. Just wondered if that's a good price on that one.

I'll look into the other shows you mentioned.

[quote name='StarKnightX']My collection , sadly , is pretty small so I think the odds of you mentioning something I already have is pretty low (not counting the shows I've mentioned previously in the thread of course;)) So suggest away.

That aside , I was considering the GitS : SAC season sets myself. I've been putting them off every time they go on sale , so maybe now I should bite. I was also looking at the .hack LotT Anime Legends Box. That one is more of a case of "Is it a good deal?" vs "Is it any good?" , since I've already seen and enjoyed most of it and was considering grabbing it now to add to my meager .hack collection. Just wondered if that's a good price on that one.

I'll look into the other shows you mentioned.[/quote]

Buying both GiTS sets is one of the best decisions I made. I never got to see all of it on Adult Swim, just episodes here and there.

The price on .hack looks good to me. Anytime I can get a boxset of anything under $25 I usually jump on it.

If you're going to watch .hack//LotT you may want to play the first 4 games first to at least get a feel of who the characters are. If you reaaaly wanna go all out with the .hack series (and dont want to read a bunch of novels/manga:) Then you'll want to go in this order:

.hack//sign (anime series that takes place before the 4 PS2 games)
.hack//infection (1st PS2 game)
.hack//mutation (2nd PS2 game)
.hack//outbreak (3rd PS2 game)
.hack//quarantine (4th PS2 game)
.hack//reunion ("28th episode" of //sign)
.hack//LotT (takes place after the PS2 games, has a couple characters from the game but no huge plot)
.hack//roots (anime series that takes place 7 years after the first 4 PS2 games)
.hack//GU Vols 1-3 (the newest PS2 games that follows the characters after the events of //roots)
.hack//GU Returner ( OVA followup to the GU games)
.hack//GU Trilogy (not quite sure, but i think its another set of OVA's that either summarize or followup the series)

Those are just the anime/games (there is also a .hack MMORPG, but it doesnt really have a story so i didnt include it above) . I believe there are two manga series (.hack//LotT & .hack//GU) and then there are three series of novels (AI Buster, Another Birth, and Epitaph of the Twilight).

Its quite a vast franchise, though I would have to be really short of things to watch (which isn't happening anytime soon) for me to want to pick up an actual novel about the .hack universe.

Also, since people seem to like Gundram (blech). Here is the Blu-Ray release schedule for Gundam 00. Unfortunately since the regular dvds retail for $63 a volume, I can only imagine what the Blu-Ray versions will cost.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Volume 2 - 08/22/08
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Volume 3 - 09/26/08
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Volume 4 - 10/24/08
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Volume 5 - 11/21/08
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Volume 6 - 12/19/08
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Volume 7 - 01/23/09

[quote name='Bezerker']If you're going to watch .hack//LotT you may want to play the first 4 games first to at least get a feel of who the characters are. If you reaaaly wanna go all out with the .hack series (and dont want to read a bunch of novels/manga:) Then you'll want to go in this order:

.hack//sign (anime series that takes place before the 4 PS2 games)
.hack//infection (1st PS2 game)
.hack//mutation (2nd PS2 game)
.hack//outbreak (3rd PS2 game)
.hack//quarantine (4th PS2 game)
.hack//reunion ("28th episode" of //sign)
.hack//LotT (takes place after the PS2 games, has a couple characters from the game but no huge plot)
.hack//roots (anime series that takes place 7 years after the first 4 PS2 games)
.hack//GU Vols 1-3 (the newest PS2 games that follows the characters after the events of //roots)
.hack//GU Returner ( OVA followup to the GU games)
.hack//GU Trilogy (not quite sure, but i think its another set of OVA's that either summarize or followup the series)

Those are just the anime/games (there is also a .hack MMORPG, but it doesnt really have a story so i didnt include it above) . I believe there are two manga series (.hack//LotT & .hack//GU) and then there are three series of novels (AI Buster, Another Birth, and Epitaph of the Twilight).

Its quite a vast franchise, though I would have to be really short of things to watch (which isn't happening anytime soon) for me to want to pick up an actual novel about the .hack universe.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the effort you put forth to give a basic rundown of the .hack series , but I'm actually pretty familiar with the different shows and games , I just don't own many of them. I have GU Vol.1 and 3 but not 2 , as well as AI Buster and Another Birth novels. I've seen most of SIGN and LotT but not all of either show , but I enjoyed what I saw.

[quote name='coolsteel']Gundam 00's season one ending floored me! I expected a cliffhanger but I wasn't expecting
A time skip!
[/QUOTE]

The fight between the GN Flag and Exia was really lame. Otherwise the finale was pretty good and I definately want to see more.
I wonder what the other new gundams will look like. The new 00 looks a lot more like old school gundam design.
I also think Graham looks retarded in his "Char" mask.

Gundam 00 is fuckin awesome... I loved S1.

The Blu Rays are going to be expensive.

The first one will be about $50 USD, the rest will be around $73 each... X_X

[quote name='karsh']As you keep watching, make sure to keep the idea of the spiral in your mind. There's a lot more to the anime than you'd think, especially in the idea of a spiral. Also, how can you not love a show where it seems like every episode you have someone yelling "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?!??!" Just talking about Gurren Lagann makes me want to watch it again and it's only been maybe two weeks since I watched it.[/quote]

Idea of the spiral? Sure...I guess.

I'm fine with some of the dialog but if the characters don't gain some depth pretty quick I'm probably done with this show. So.....does it happen? Does something shake up the battle-an-ep formula or no?

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Idea of the spiral? Sure...I guess.

I'm fine with some of the dialog but if the characters don't gain some depth pretty quick I'm probably done with this show. So.....does it happen? Does something shake up the battle-an-ep formula or no?[/quote]

How far are you? Cause episode 8 is a huge turning point in the series.

bread's done
Back