Grammy nominated King Diamond screams "Metal Heads Unite!!"

[quote name='nasum']Agalloch - The Better Opeth[/QUOTE]
Just listened to a few tracks of them on you tube because I love Opeth and I never heard of them, holy fuck these guys are awesome. I been looking for a band that mixed post rock/ambient music and metal.

Also got the new Dream Theater album. This is how a Dream Theater album should be. It's progressive as fuck. Probably their best work since maybe Six Degrees, maybe even Metropolis Pt. 2.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Just listened to a few tracks of them on you tube because I love Opeth and I never heard of them, holy fuck these guys are awesome. I been looking for a band that mixed post rock/ambient music and metal.

[/QUOTE]

i second this. did the same. thx fur mentioning them

[quote name='mykevermin']fuck yeah I did, and I hope that I'll be in the area next May. I live just north in Philly, but I may be at a wedding in the midwest on Memorial Day weekend 2012.

The lineup is astonishing, and I could gush about so many bands...but I'll just gush about Nausea instead. If I'm around, I will go out of my way to see that set. I'll break my fucking back to get there.

Ghoul has a new album coming out? I hope it's better than Splatterthrash, because that was a terrible record.

EDIT: Oh, it's not the 1990's Nausea from NY, it's some dudes from LA. Womp womp. Lineup still incredible.[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, how much do you think the tickets are for this? There is no information on the website.

I'd ask people who have been there in the past. I've had obligations on memorial day weekend for the past 4 years, and new to the east coast. so I have no idea, as i've not yet had the opportunity to go.

Always happy to share the Agalloch love. Ashes Against the Grain and The Mantle are masterpieces, I haven't gotten into Marrow of the Spirit so much yet but there are parts that have grown on me.

That Theories band is pretty intense, I'm digging it so far.

New Amebix has leaked. It's way different than their old stuff (20+ years will do that). Sort of a post-metal Killing Joke thing. I like it a lot but I can't say whether I'm disappointed or not with it.

I have Agalloch's first two albums on order on Amazon with the new Pain of Salvation.

I got the new Mastodon today. I really like the album a lot more than I thought I would. Plus I got a free poster for it at my local record store. :D

Still waiting on my new fucking Opeth though.

I've only listened to Unto The Locust once and thought it was pretty meh.

I don't remember a single riff striking me.
Vocals are boring, too many similar/generic verses.
Song writing is incoherent and unenjoyable.

[quote name='Canadian_Man']I've only listened to Unto The Locust once and thought it was pretty meh.

I don't remember a single riff striking me.
Vocals are boring, too many similar/generic verses.
Song writing is incoherent and unenjoyable.[/QUOTE]

They are having a listening party in Oakland with the band there. I'm not a huge Machine Head fan so I'm not attending.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Anybody heard the new Machine Head yet?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like All that Remains.

"Heritage" sucks.

I have been listening to Jungle Rot, though.

What do you guys think of the new Mastodon? Personally I found all the albums after Leviatan to be growers. Crack the Skye was good but it was my least favorite of the entire discography.

This album...I'm still need a couple of listens.

I like the new Mastodon. Lots of different influences and sounds kind of like the love child of Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye. I wouldn't mind another album like Leviathan or Remission but I'm open minded enough to not go nuts when a band changes their sound. Even with the changes I still hear Remission and Leviathan in a few songs. Spectrelight with Scott fucking Kelly is an awesome track!

Amebix' Sonic Mass didn't leak on 9/23. It released on 9/23 and you couldn't be bothered to pay for it.

It's a good record, though it reminds me of Green Day's "American Idiot" (shut up and follow the comparison) as a record that can not be understood or listened to song by song, but, rather, as an album from start to finish.

They're a far cry from their pre-Arise material, and Roy Mayorga's drumming is a bit too overbearing at times. But Roy Mayorga is their drummer, so why shouldn't it sound like him playing? It's a good record. It's not what I expected to hear, but it's excellent for them putting out their first new record in 25ish years.

[quote name='mykevermin']Amebix' Sonic Mass didn't leak on 9/23. It released on 9/23 and you couldn't be bothered to pay for it.[/QUOTE]

Amazon has the release date as mid-October. I didn't look exceptionally hard but I cannot find a US store selling it yet. Therefore, it's a leak to me. Show me where I can buy it on 9/23 and I'll order the fucking copy.

And that would be why. I do not buy digital music, only physical media (except for the rare case something is digital only). I'll grab it next month when the CD comes out, for now I'll stick with my rip.

As an old school head especially, I'm going to feel extra hated on for this, but Trivium have been a guilty pleasure of mine and I really liked In Waves.

Don't be ashamed to admit your love for Trivium.

The new Mastodon is growing on me, even though I prefer their earlier albums. "Black Tongue" is one of my favorite songs right now.

Recently discovered Texas in July, too. And Intronaut. Been listening to a lot of Insomnium, too. I got Skeletonwitch's "Beyond the Permafrost", but much prefer "Breathing the Fire".

By the way, I have tickets to the following shows here in Chicago:

Enslaved and Junius (as supposed to be Ghost, but they couldn't get their visas for the tour and I'm super-pissed) this Sunday.

Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel on October 15.

Opeth/Katatonia (cannot fucking wait for this show) on October 28.

Mastodon/Red Fang on November 11.

Hey anyone here listen to symphonic metal? I am obsessed with Nightwish (the old era stuff), Epica, Tarja, and Within Temptation.

I also really like Apocalyptica (I was lucky enough to get to see them perform live).

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Most symphonic shit is, well, shit. Too many gofficks overtones and annoying posturing.[/QUOTE]

Eh, well maybe for you. Nightwish is my absolute favorite band. I love the combination of classical, opera, and metal.

Got my copy of Heritage finally. I really like this album. Sounds like if early Black Sabbath, 70's Deep Purple and Jethro Tull had a child in 2011. It's different than anything Opeth has done but at the same time I am a fan of Classic Rock so it's right up my alley.

Anyone listen to Anterior? Just discovered them, and I cannot get enough of The Sword. I hope to see them in December here in Chicago (missed them on Heavy T.O. because of their Visa issues).

The Enslaved/Alcest show was okay. I got to meet Joel and Dana from Junius at the bar. Pretty down to Earth guys.

Just got the first two Agalloch albums (Pale Folklore and The Mantle), and wow these guys are awesome. Loving the post metal sound of it combined with the folk metal influences.

Listening to Torchbearer's new album, released in April. Three tracks in, so far they've kept Alvestam under lock and key in the vocals department, which is good by me. I'm going to have to listen to Yersinia Pestis and Warnaments again for a refresher (I seem to recall preferring Yersinia), so I can't compare to those two, but so far, so good.

Discovered a band the other day which sounds pretty good. Unleash The Archers. They're sort of power metal meets melodic death metal. They've released two albums, Behold The Devastation in 2009 and Demons of the AstroWaste earlier this year. Listened to the latter last night and though it was good, currently listening to the former right now. About halfway through and right now think it's the better of the two.

Ahhhh shit. This sucks.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/0...st-cory-smoot-aka-flattus-maximus-found-dead/

Gwar guitarist Cory Smoot (aka Flattus Maximus) is dead. His band members found him deceased this morning as they prepared to cross the Canadian border. MetalSucks just received the following statement by Gwar mastermind Dave Brockie directly from the band’s camp:

"It is with a sense of profound loss and tragedy that the members of GWAR must announce the passing of their long time guitarist and beloved friend Cory Smoot, also known to thousands of metal fans worldwide as Flattus Maximus. Cory was found deceased this morning as the band prepared for a border crossing. There is no word as to the cause of death and the members of GWAR are completely shocked and devastated that this has occurred. At this point there is no word on arrangements and the disposition of the remainder of GWAR’s current North American tour, nor are there any details regarding long term plans. At this point we are just dealing with the loss of our dear friend and brother, one of the most talented guitar players in metal today. We ask that our fans and the media be respectful of our request for privacy for those that have suffered this terrible loss. A full statement will be coming in the next day or so, in the meantime please give your thoughts and your prayers to Cory, his family, and all the people that love him.

-Dave Brockie-"

my buddy let me listen to his press copy of LuLu.

Seriously, is this some kind of fucking joke? Lou Reed made some great stuff back in the day, but it sounds like he isn't even in the same song here. It's like they were trading tracks through Pro Tools and when they handed it off to get mastered the engineer just had to guess which parts went with each other.
Other than that description, my 2nd best way to put words to this is kind of like Cornbugs with that whole stream of conciousness deal, but LuLu isn't funny in that weird sleep deprivation kind of way.

Honestly, I think Metallica gives less of a fuck than a honey badger at this point. 1st we get St. Anger which had terrible production and lacked direction at all turns (other than "The Unnamed Feeling" which is actually a fairly interesting song and uses the tuning in an interesting way), then Death Magnetic is a very good thrash record but has the worst mastering ever. Finally comes Lulu and I just don't know any more.

Death Magnetic was mastered worse than "turn up the mic on the snare drum to a billion" St. Anger?

I've not been into any post-Velvet Underground Lou Reed. If I want incoherent quasi-beatnik fuckup rambling, I'd rather listen to Tom Waits. And even then it's not very good.

The degree to which people defend their "brand" in Metallica is amazing. Lulu is released, and it sounds like a million kinds of fucking awful. Like a Super Bowl halftime show in an in-studio format - that little fuck was given by all involved. Then Metallica fans jump to defend the album. Not by saying it's good, but by saying that it's a "Lou Reed album" and Metallica were merely "guest musicians." As if they're studio musicians just waiting for another phone call so they can get paid for a studio session.

I haven't been listening to a lot of metal lately. Witchcraft and Pentagram, mostly. Saw Boris last week. Christ, they're terrible. Great musicians, but awful songs and an awful set.

anti Tom Waits statement? Them's fightin' words pal!

But yeah, there's really nothing to defend with LuLu.

While not defending St. Anger production (which was also certainly lacking), the snare had to be tuned high to leave room for the extra guitar overtones when tuning to Drop C. Notice that the Slipknot snare is also an ear fuck to the Nth degree, it just works in that context because the mix has a bit more air and isn't so loud.
Say what you will about the songs themselves, that first major release from Slipknot was a study in engineering brilliance. To get 9 whackos to all be heard and not bury anything sonically (well ok, the bass is a little weak but how many more times do we need to hear the "boing boing" bass tone of a warwick through an overdriven ampeg?) while tuned that low is nothing short of a miracle.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']You are the first person I've ever heard to dislike Boris.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. I'll listen to Flood or Akuma no Uta or a few others any day of the week. But they continue to shift their style in a way that just doesn't work for me. They're talented musicians - don't get me wrong. They're very talented. But by playing mostly songs written/recorded from 2005 on, they're just a "rock" band as far as I'm concerned.

Cue "I only like their old stuff" cries of pretension in 3...2...1. But in the case of Boris, it's accurate. You can't compare Heavy Rocks to Smile, because they're so different. Meanwhile, supposing a 90-year old Lemmy puts out another Motorhead record this year, it's not going to be country. Hell, even Lou Reed couldn't get Metallica to step outside of their own derivative paint-by-numbers scheme anymore. I appreciate that Boris is trying to do unique things, and that it shows breadth of talent. But as music I don't particularly enjoy it.

Yep, also don't like Tom Waits. Not sure why. I like drinkin', I like bein' mopey, and I like songs about drinkin' and bein' mopey. But Waits doesn't do it for me. Oddly enough, he wrote an excellent song (Down in the Hole) that became the theme song for The Wire (best television show of all time). Different artists performed the song for different seasons. Ironically, his rendition was the one I liked the least (Blind Boys of Alabama the best, FYI).

[quote name='mykevermin']Don't get me wrong. I'll listen to Flood or Akuma no Uta or a few others any day of the week. But they continue to shift their style in a way that just doesn't work for me. They're talented musicians - don't get me wrong. They're very talented. But by playing mostly songs written/recorded from 2005 on, they're just a "rock" band as far as I'm concerned.

Cue "I only like their old stuff" cries of pretension in 3...2...1. But in the case of Boris, it's accurate. You can't compare Heavy Rocks to Smile, because they're so different. Meanwhile, supposing a 90-year old Lemmy puts out another Motorhead record this year, it's not going to be country. Hell, even Lou Reed couldn't get Metallica to step outside of their own derivative paint-by-numbers scheme anymore. I appreciate that Boris is trying to do unique things, and that it shows breadth of talent. But as music I don't particularly enjoy it.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, I actually can get that. I have (owned/downloaded) everything Boris has put out but I mostly listen to old Heavy Rocks/Akuma No Uta stuff. Their new stuff is inconsistent. Heavy Rocks II is great, Attention Please is weird. Klatter is pretty nice even if it is only old tracks with Merzbow. You must've just had an unlucky set. Last time I saw them earlier this year (not the latest tour, the one preceeding it) they played a lot of Pink and earlier stuff, not much of the new stuff (bar a few tracks from Smile and Rainbow).

bread's done
Back