Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info (PS3) OUT NOW PS3 review score = 99.6%

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Yeah, I was just playing online with bmachine just fine for like an hour or two. :)[/quote]

Worked like a dream. It was a blast, too.

Woo, I was able to log in without it freezing. I'm taking a break but I'll get back on in a bit if you guys are playing.

It's fixed? Uh, I was just playing like 3-4 hours ago and restarted the console 3-4 times because of the freezing at LOADING screen at the beginning.

Exiting out of the PSN did the trick.

Wheew I thought it was my PS3..ever since I started playing MP, its been freezing in the loading screen..good to know its just the game..

For everyone who has had problems with freezing, try logging off the PSN or otherwise disconnecting from the net. Many are reporting that this fixes any freezing.

I haven't had any freezing with a lot of play time under my belt. However, I have a good router that I've properly set up, so I suspect part of the problem is with certain router configurations screwing up the communication between GTA's stat tracking/friends list functions and the PSN/Rockstar servers. I suspect that, when the game does a routine check or resync to the online servers (usually done before or after loading and saving) it'll freeze as it waits for the correct data from the PSN, which never comes.

Currently my favorite quote from the single player game:

Niko: Be careful with that stuff, man. I hear it does funny things to your balls.
Brucie: Hey...do I look like I've got funny balls to you?

:applause:

No issues today with the loading bug. Made sure that I signed into the Playstation Network before I started the game to be sure.

[quote name='bmachine']Currently my favorite quote from the single player game:

Niko: Be careful with that stuff, man. I hear it does funny things to your balls.
Brucie: Hey...do I look like I've got funny balls to you?

:applause:[/quote]

Yeah that whole piece (no pun intended) was funny as hell.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']Yeah that whole piece (no pun intended) was funny as hell.[/quote]

And then later on, when
Niko's running the ad on love-meet.net he lists his dislikes as "funny balls".
I ROFL'd.

Does anyone know what the Rockstar Social Club is for? Is it only for tracking and comparing your stats with others?

Opening day:

PS3
274,000 uk
335,000 uk

us is unreported i believe

analysts believe the sales are going to reach 9.2 mil the first week

Haha, the first time I tried the game, I was on the run from the cops, went into cinematic slow mo, hit a wall, went flying at least 30 ft in the air and waaayyy far into the water, and to top it off, I was running near a cliff and a cop car comes flying down into the ocean.

That was totally nuts and awesome at the same time :D

LOL I experienced the 'fly through the windshield' thing the other night and I was like 'wtf why isn't my car moving'. Then, I saw Niko on the ground with only half of his life bar and was like 'oh ok, he's outside the car on the ground'. I even ejected Michelle from the car the one time when I was trying to elude the cops after getting a wanted level while on a date. That was NOT fun.

Mind you, I've finally managed to get used to driving conservatively most of the time, but I figured out a couple ways to NOT have to slow down to make some slight turns. One of them being using the sidewalks as an addition to the roadway.

Of course, for some reason, peds will still sometimes jump in front of the car instead of away from it when they see me coming at high speed.

Hey, hows the PS3's multiplayer situation. I got the 360 version pretty much for the dlc. But the 360 multiplayer has been pretty good, except I get disconnected about 1 out of every 5-6 times I try to play. But it has been less frequent lately. Hopefully they fix it soon. Also sorry I haven't updated the op, since I got the 360 version. Also I cant find any of the graphical glitches people are talking about in the 360 version. Can someone tell what I should be looking for?

2 questions.

Stats-General- Addiction Level: What is everyone's? What is the order of them?
I am at"That's some good shit" and I have 15:06:13 of gameplay.

Stats-Vehicles- Miles Traveled: What is this stat actually reading? It says " Liberty City to the Capital" for me. Is it saying the total amount of miles I have traveled would take me from Liberty City (NYC) to Washington DC? What are everyone else's?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I experienced the 'fly through the windshield' thing the other night and I was like 'wtf why isn't my car moving'. Then, I saw Niko on the ground with only half of his life bar and was like 'oh ok, he's outside the car on the ground'. I even ejected Michelle from the car the one time when I was trying to elude the cops after getting a wanted level while on a date. That was NOT fun.

Mind you, I've finally managed to get used to driving conservatively most of the time, but I figured out a couple ways to NOT have to slow down to make some slight turns. One of them being using the sidewalks as an addition to the roadway.

Of course, for some reason, peds will still sometimes jump in front of the car instead of away from it when they see me coming at high speed.[/quote]
Haha, yea, when he flew through the front I was like "Ooohh snap!"

When I got out of the water and the cop car flew over me I was like "OOOOH SNAP!"
:p

I find it harder to drive in this game, can't exactly make those sharp turns I used to be able to pull off.

Btw, I just experienced having my car die on me....two feet from my parking space, having him try and start the car again is pretty amusing :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that too, when I was first trying to figure out how the hell to properly control the cars. I wrecked quite a few of them and after one particularly violent crash, he sat there trying to start it again and it just wouldn't move.

Have you tried going to a bar and getting drunk and then driving? It's HORRIBLE. He just randomly steers in the opposite direction from where you're trying to go or overcompensates for the smallest of turns. LOL

Haha, nah I haven't tried that yet, the only place I've gone by is a burger joint.

Sounds like fun though :D Does he say anything while driving like a champ?

He doesn't usually say anything, though I know when I took Roman or Little Jacob with me(who you can barely understand when he's SOBER, let alone drunk), they were yapping up a storm on the way home.

I'd say that probably the best thing I've learned how to do in the game so far is to free aim and do one shot kills(to the head). Although, as others have mentioned, even if you fill an enemy full of bullets, stick around for about 5 minutes since most times they'll get up and hobble away.

It's like they're nearly immortal, since you could hit them with everything you've got and they'll STILL get up. Well, unless you do one of the aforementioned head shots, in which case they're down for the count in one shot.

The next time I play the game though, I'm going to try and climb up the fire escape of a building and chuck a couple molotov cocktails on the roof of the building, then get back off the building and see if the building stays on fire after that. I've been SO tempted to try and find an RPG to just cause some mass destruction with, but I want to make sure I don't need to save any of the buildings I may want to destroy by fire. Unfortunately, they said that once you destroy something by fire, it'll stay destroyed, so it'd be just my luck to take out a building that I'll need later on in story mode.

I don't like how the cars just die in this one as opposed to exploding. I even unloaded on one with a shotgun a bunch of times and it didn't even start smoking. Rockstar definitely landed on the wrong side of realism vs. fun with that. :???: One of my favorite things to do in GTA3 was to see how big of a chain of exploding cars I could make. :hot:

I updated the op a bit, just added a few reviews and hopefully better sales numbers when they come out.

[quote name='metaly']I don't like how the cars just die in this one as opposed to exploding. I even unloaded on one with a shotgun a bunch of times and it didn't even start smoking. Rockstar definitely landed on the wrong side of realism vs. fun with that. :???: One of my favorite things to do in GTA3 was to see how big of a chain of exploding cars I could make. :hot:[/quote]

Yeah, that was always fun. Last night a buddy and I were in the party mode and we just tried to park and stack as many cars as we could in star junction or whatever its called, and then I would shoot a rpg at them from the back of the helicopter. Mostly we jumped out of the helicopter and tried to land on cars and in this little pond in central park. 16 people s free mode is nuts and really fun if people don't turn it into a deathmatch game.

btw, does anyone think that Roman's cab driver is f*ckin hilarious. I don't know, indian accent + cab is just funny to me. "I get so much Poosy" I always wait in the cab until he stops talking to Niko, then hit A.

[quote name='metaly']I don't like how the cars just die in this one as opposed to exploding. I even unloaded on one with a shotgun a bunch of times and it didn't even start smoking. Rockstar definitely landed on the wrong side of realism vs. fun with that. :???: One of my favorite things to do in GTA3 was to see how big of a chain of exploding cars I could make. :hot:[/quote]

Oh they will explode eventually :twisted:

My gf was having hours of fun blowing up cars and shooting pedestrians in a 1 person party mode so the cops wouldn't come running.

LOL metaly, that was my favorite thing to do in Vice City. I would line up about 20 cars and park some of them on top of each other, then I'd let loose with a barrage of bullets into one of the bottom cars and watch the others blow up and fly all over the place.

However, I've almost been the victim of an exploding car in GTAIV already. When I was still getting the hang of the new driving system, I kept smacking my car into everything. It takes a while longer than usual to get it to start smoking, but eventually you will see the black smoke start to come out from under the hood. The car started shooting flames out the sides and I had to bail out at high speed in order to avoid being blown up.

Has anyone used the police computer inside the cop cars yet? I haven't, even though I grabbed a cop car once I had a 2-3 star wanted level and took off with it.

What's the WORST car you've driven in the game so far? For me, it'd have to be the ratty old rusted out muscle cars which backfire when you're driving them. Most of the panels are gone on the car and they look horrible, but they're pretty durable surprisingly.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I updated the op a bit, just added a few reviews and hopefully better sales numbers when they come out.

Yeah, that was always fun. Last night a buddy and I were in the party mode and we just tried to park and stack as many cars as we could in star junction or whatever its called, and then I would shoot a rpg at them from the back of the helicopter. Mostly we jumped out of the helicopter and tried to land on cars and in this little pond in central park. 16 people s free mode is nuts and really fun if people don't turn it into a deathmatch game.

btw, does anyone think that Roman's cab driver is f*ckin hilarious. I don't know, indian accent + cab is just funny to me. "I get so much Poosy" I always wait in the cab until he stops talking to Niko, then hit A.[/quote]

LOL And here I intended on finding and grabbing a sniper rifle in free mode and just picking a high building and waiting till other players or NPCs come by and just picking them off one by one. As for Roman's driver, I think they did that as a joke towards the stereotypical NYC cab driver. The sense of humor that R* put into their games is a bit off at times, but I found it funny.

So far I've only had a couple cars explode in the single player. Multiplayer is a different story, since it seems like someone's always waiting around the corner with an RPG.

The police computer is kind of weak. You can search criminals' profiles on it, but that's not really useful. So far I haven't gotten Niko to show up on it. You can also start vigilante missions through it, which leads to another gripe I have with the way GTA4 handles things... I want the old style of taxi/emergency missions back! I want to just hop into a random cab and be able to start playing that Crazy Taxi-style mode, or just do continuous vigilante missions without having to check the computer. I also stole an ambulance once and didn't see anything about any special missions. Are they still in the game at all?

I've heard that they eliminated the Paramedic missions completely, though I don't know how true this is, since I haven't managed to swipe an ambulance yet to check it.

Although, since they were going for a more realistic approach this time around, I guess they figured that having you do the ambulance missions for something like infinite sprint would be too unrealistic.

There's plenty of other unrealistic missions out there. They could have had something like where you have to transport people from sites to hospitals under a certain time limit (with no crashes).

I suspect they did have ambulance missions planned, but had to cut it due to time and focus constraints. They did a great job with the game in all other areas so losing ambulance missions is fine by me.

I'm also fine with losing the ambulance missions, since admittedly they were a major pita in the other games. I was typically either just about to run out of time on some levels of them or I had run out and was SOL.

The worst was the fact that unlike the cab missions, you couldn't do them a bit at a time, you had to do 12 levels or whatever it was in one shot or you had to start over.

Mind you, in Vice City the Vigilante missions were fun as all hell thanks to the addition of the Hunter attack chopper.

So how far is everyone in the single player game? I think I am getting pretty close to the end of the game. I can now buy the RPG at the weapon shop which was the last weapon left. So I figure I have to be getting close to the end. I still have a lot of the side missions to do though, like the races with Brucie, The cab thing with Roman, delivering shit for Little Jacob ect. My favorite mission in the game is
Three leaf clover. Where you, Packie, Derrick, and St Michael go and rob that bank. That was such an awesome mission I replayed it like 3-4 times in a row.
Great fucking game though, currently my GOTY every thing is just so fun and addicting.

I definitely don't miss having to do those ambulance missions, but I liked being able to just sit in a taxi without having to call up Roman after every fare. And while the Hunter was awesome, I actually preferred GTA3's style of vigilante missions where it was only one car you were chasing down. I just loved the high speed chases through Staunton Island with the siren blaring. :)

Also, I wonder why they went with Algonquin instead of Staunton this time around.

Wooo. Just did some online races with a friend. The first regular races were pretty Burnout-like, with some spectacular crashes. Then we tried a GTA Race and it degenerated almost immediately into just gunfighting in the street and other ridiculous stunts like me trying to suicide-bomb him out of a semi truck with grenades on a scooter. The finish time was over half an hour. :lol: What a great game.

[quote name='Dark Slayer120']So how far is everyone in the single player game? I think I am getting pretty close to the end of the game. I can now buy the RPG at the weapon shop which was the last weapon left. So I figure I have to be getting close to the end. I still have a lot of the side missions to do though, like the races with Brucie, The cab thing with Roman, delivering shit for Little Jacob ect. My favorite mission in the game is
Three leaf clover. Where you, Packie, Derrick, and St Michael go and rob that bank. That was such an awesome mission I replayed it like 3-4 times in a row.
Great fucking game though, currently my GOTY every thing is just so fun and addicting.[/quote]

Right now,
I'm up to the part where Brucie starts getting you involved in races. I tried to sabotage the first race by blowing up the other cars, but it made me fail the race then. Oh yeah and I'm also past the point where you wack Faustin and Dimitri turns on you.

I also noticed a bit of a framerate hiccup when I go really fast on a straight road now, which I didn't notice prior.

Oh and even WITH subtitles on, I STILL can't understand wtf Little Jacob is saying half the damn time.

Cops were chasing me, my car got beat up pretty badly, so I drive into a busy intersection, crash into another car, see flames, ditch car, watch cops drive into car and cause huge pile up.

Result: Huge explosions and people flying :O

Something funny happened to me, I tried to get a cop out of his car ;), then he gets out and chases me, and as he's getting closer, he gets nailed by a passing car
That was hilarious:lol:
I went further by pushing a cop into a passing car, he gets hit, car stops, another car hits that car from behind and runs over the cop again just as he's getting up. Cop gets up again and pulls his gun out on the car that just hit him and he starts backing up. Then he gets by another car going the other way XD
For some reason though, I get a star and they start comin' after me :/

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Right now,
I'm up to the part where Brucie starts getting you involved in races. I tried to sabotage the first race by blowing up the other cars, but it made me fail the race then. Oh yeah and I'm also past the point where you wack Faustin and Dimitri turns on you.

I also noticed a bit of a framerate hiccup when I go really fast on a straight road now, which I didn't notice prior.

Oh and even WITH subtitles on, I STILL can't understand wtf Little Jacob is saying half the damn time.[/quote]

Have you tried just shooting out the tires on those cars instead of blowing them up? Shooting out the tires on anything makes a world of difference, especially in chases. Without tires you, and AIs, lose fine control over their vehicles and slide all over the place, even with minor turns. But, I suspect it's a clean race so doing anything besides bumping them into traffic is a mission failure.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I've heard that they eliminated the Paramedic missions completely, though I don't know how true this is, since I haven't managed to swipe an ambulance yet to check it.

Although, since they were going for a more realistic approach this time around, I guess they figured that having you do the ambulance missions for something like infinite sprint would be too unrealistic.[/QUOTE]

Firetruck missions were cut as well.

I just have fun just messing around knifing people for money, and then running from the cops, stealing their cars and then proceed to run people over. It's a nice break from just doing missions.
BTW what's the best way to get money in this game?

fuck, I don't have enough things to spend money on. It's constantly going up for me just doing the missions straight, and I keep loading up on ammo, body armor.

I don't know why Nico keeps complaining, even taking into account Roman's habits we're freaking loaded.

I miss the drug dealer hunting from San Andreas. I'd stop everything to hop out and pop one, like five-thousand-dollar pinatas .. Haven't found an equivalent in this one.

I hope there's an opportunity to use some of the in-game money to invest in certain things. Much like the friends system, you could invest in things like businesses (for free food and other services), Roman's cab service (for more and better free rides), maybe even some shadey busineses.

But part of the reason why you can't use the money you get for story is that they wanted to keep it seperate so that the player wouldn't feel like he had to horde money for some big upcoming story event. Instead, you just go and buy whatever hardware you need.

bread's done
Back