Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='thrustbucket']I am not too sure about that. MS had to cough up so much money to rockstar for the exclusive stuff, it's doubtful they will make it back. But it is part of a longer term goal of solidifying the 360's domination.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's kinda what I was getting at - if people look at GTA, Madden, and other major franchises as "the game to get the 360 version of," then it won't matter how many other competing consoles are sold.

If they paid $50m as speculated, they'd need 1 million buys at $50 (for DLC!) to break even, or 500K each of 2 $25 downloads. I don't think either is even remotely reasonable to expect. But that isn't their goal, of course.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Just preference. plus playing on a PS3 controller feels more at home for me since all my GTAs have been played on sony systems.[/QUOTE]

Well that's fine, I suppose. But I am sure you know that you can get 360 controllers that are very much like PS controllers, if it's a big deal....

[quote name='thrustbucket']Well that's fine, I suppose. But I am sure you know that you can get 360 controllers that are very much like PS controllers, if it's a big deal....[/QUOTE]

I've never liked 3rd party stuff. never feels right... then again, the six axis sucks, but I look forward to the dual shock 3.

[quote name='seanr1221']Despite the exclusive episode I'm still buying this on PS3.[/quote]

Why am I not surprised?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']loads of info:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=313181

I still think this is the most important game of 2008 alongside Little Big Planet and MGS4 in terms of making a milestone in gaming and where it needs to go.[/QUOTE]

I think you're hyping it much.

What's it doing so different from the past?

It's going to be great, that's pretty much a given, but it's not going to be a huge leap like GTA2->GTA3.

[quote name='zewone']I think you're hyping it much.

What's it doing so different from the past?

It's going to be great, that's pretty much a given, but it's not going to be a huge leap like GTA2->GTA3.[/QUOTE]

I personally believe so. I can't back any of that up until you actually sit down and play the game though. I don't think the impact will be really realized until the game is actually out.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I personally believe so. I can't back any of that up until you actually sit down and play the game though. I don't think the impact will be really realized until the game is actually out.[/quote]

I honestly think that this GTA will really revamp the GTA series. Not to mention I love GTA games! It just seems like they have addressed everything, even the minor things, to enhance the gameplay experience. It's that attention to detail that separates GTA from other sandbox games.

[quote name='help1']It's that attention to detail that separates GTA from other sandbox games.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and the further level of more detail in IV is mind blowing.

[quote name='zewone']It's going to be great, that's pretty much a given, but it's not going to be a huge leap like GTA2->GTA3.[/quote]
Actually, if you read the developer's interview, they say that it IS a huge a leap, if not bigger, than GTA2->GTA3. They are saying that this game will reset the bar for sandbox titles and they have the track record to prove it.

As for the PS3 vs. 360 version, I'm there with you Rolento. I want it on my PS3 because that's what I have hooked up to my main 52" DLP. My 360 won't go HD until I get a new house ... I hope to GOD that the housing market around here opens up once winter gets the fuck out.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']My 360 won't go HD until I get a new house ... I hope to GOD that the housing market around here opens up once winter gets the fuck out.[/QUOTE]

Why? Are you out of component inputs?

[quote name='doubledown']Why? Are you out of component inputs?[/quote]
Nope, my 360 is on a different TV in my rec-room and that TV is a 36" SD. When I built the room we spent $400 on an entertainment center SPECIFICALLY for the 36" so the wife said no new TV until we move (since we won't be able to get the entertainment center out without ripping it apart). I've been married for almost 12 years .... I know which battles to fight and which to walk away from.

I already have a 360 version reserveved and the new content chapters for download may not be that amazing in the end, so I'll put money down for the Ps3 one this week.

360 version for me. Besides the fact that I don't own a PS3...yet, the exclusive content that MS paid $5 mil to keep exclusive to 360 is bound to be good. This is Rockstar we're talking about afterall.

[quote name='Danil ACE']360 version for me. Besides the fact that I don't own a PS3...yet, the exclusive content that MS paid $5 mil to keep exclusive to 360 is bound to be good. This is Rockstar we're talking about afterall.[/QUOTE]
5 Mil? I thought they paid 30 million for each episode, 2 episodes in total equalling 60 million. Am I wrong?

Get that PS3 shit out of here, this is the 360 thread for it.

Someone make a GTAIV thread in general gaming for comparing. :D

Shooting out of cars while driving = win.
Being able to switch weapons while driving = win.
Calling 9-1-1 on yourself just to get a cop car = win.
Being able to escape the wanted zone before cops find you = win.
Taking cover in an open world game = win.
Getting drunk at a bar and having to drive your friend home drunk as fuck w/ screwy controls = win.
GTAIV = WIN!

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']:lol: here's some info for people wondering why some people prefer this on PS3:

http://www.pspsps.tv/2008/02/gta_iv_for_ps3_to_outsell_xbox.html[/QUOTE]

Nonrandom, nonscientific surveys FTW!

It may end up like Devil May Cry, w/ the 360 version outselling it in the US, but PS3 pulling ahead in global sales (but of course one must keep in mind that Japan doesn't buy a lot of GTA games, so it's more or less up to EU and AU).

[quote name='TFN']Get that PS3 shit out of here, this is the 360 thread for it.

Someone make a GTAIV thread in general gaming for comparing. :D

Shooting out of cars while driving = win.
Being able to switch weapons while driving = win.
Calling 9-1-1 on yourself just to get a cop car = win.
Being able to escape the wanted zone before cops find you = win.
Taking cover in an open world game = win.
Getting drunk at a bar and having to drive your friend home drunk as fuck w/ screwy controls = win.
GTAIV = WIN![/QUOTE]

You could shoot while driving in SA, but it was pretty mediocre.

[quote name='lordwow']You could shoot while driving in SA, but it was pretty mediocre.[/quote]

Oh god, there was that one mission where you OG Loc and some fat guy are in a car trying to kill some guys in a drive by. It took me like 15 circles around the block to finally finish them all off.

[quote name='mykevermin']Thanks for the info - but no info on the length of the episode, or the cost of the episode - means bad, bad things afoot.[/QUOTE]

I'm expecting the content to be prices at $15-$30. The length maybe a total of 5-10 extra hours.

I loved San Andreas on my ps2/xbox .. hopefully this will be a good next-gen game .. I think I may rent it for a night or two, to see how the game actually is, before I pay retail for it ..

Hmmm...I didn't think of it until today, but I have GTA 3, VC and SA on xbox...I MIGHT get this on 360 now to keep the series all together.

my main concern between the 360 and ps3 version is using the cache for the data. if Mass Effect teaches us anything, streaming textures can be a bitch. I'm just wondering if the PS3 version will be gimped or the 360. one of them has to give.

I dunno - I think it will take the DMC4 approach, with both titles having differences so bloody tiny and insignificant that the versions are identical (Except for the fanatical types, who will complain about the texture quality differences on the underside of Nico's shoes or some shit).

It's too high profile a game to have any differences outside of the DLC.

Now I'm really torn - I'm kinda sold on the "uniformity" argument like sean mentioned - as I have the GTA trilogy on Xbox (though, to be fair, I have LCS/VCS on PS2, since they weren't on Xbox).

Crap. I tend to not get 360 multiplatform games simply due to the system's overall reliability - and also my desire to not support overpriced DLC. And let's not fool ourselves - this games is gonna be the crown prince of overpriced DLC.

...but I keep coming back to the question "maybe it'll be *good* DLC?" which would lead me to the temptation to pay for it.

EGADS!

[quote name='mykevermin']Now I'm really torn - I'm kinda sold on the "uniformity" argument like sean mentioned - as I have the GTA trilogy on Xbox (though, to be fair, I have LCS/VCS on PS2, since they weren't on Xbox).

Crap. I tend to not get 360 multiplatform games simply due to the system's overall reliability - and also my desire to not support overpriced DLC. And let's not fool ourselves - this games is gonna be the crown prince of overpriced DLC.

...but I keep coming back to the question "maybe it'll be *good* DLC?" which would lead me to the temptation to pay for it.

EGADS![/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat, thus making me feel split.

I think they're just hoping that people will view it as a "Playstation franchise" and buy it on that system without thinking.

If they had something up their sleeve, they've have played that card by now, in order to ensure the lion's share of the preorders. I think they don't have anything, while MS will tout DLC and gamertags and the like.

If you look globally, many titles are selling well globally relative to their 360 counterparts (Orange Box being a huge exception - it was *spanked* by a factor of 8 by the 360 version). Domestically, though, they often favor the 360 by a factor of 2 to 3 - and knowing that GTA is a franchise with its largest sales base in the US, it's going to be a boon for MS this April.

Its a no brainer for me that i will get it for the 360 ( Since I don't have a PS3 ATM ). I do Own every single GTA made for PS2 ( GTA3, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas, GTA Liberty Cirty Stories, GTA Vice City Stories ). I also own the GTA Double Pack for the Xbox but didn't play the Xbox ones at all.

I would love to get it for PS3 if I have one by then. When I think of GTA I think Playstation.

[quote name='seanr1221']I think I'm leaning a bit towards the PS3 for the controller.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. That and the fact that I fully expect my 360 to burst into flames at some point in the near future (have had it since Summer 06' and it's still going strong, though).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'll have my fill of GTAIV already.[/quote]

Impossible. There's so much random stuff to do in games like this. I'm still playing Saint's Row and doing random shit. And it's still as fun as ever.

[quote name='Scorch']Impossible. There's so much random stuff to do in games like this. I'm still playing Saint's Row and doing random shit. And it's still as fun as ever.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't think you can never have enough of GTA or Saint's Row.

I'll probably just get the 360 version. Most of my friends own it (which is nice if they add multiplayer to GTAIV). I prefer the 360 controller also.

[quote name='mykevermin']Now I'm really torn - I'm kinda sold on the "uniformity" argument like sean mentioned - as I have the GTA trilogy on Xbox (though, to be fair, I have LCS/VCS on PS2, since they weren't on Xbox).

EGADS![/quote]

If those are your main concerns, they just go with the XBOX360 version...If the DLC is good you won't have to miss out, if its overpriced and/or sucks, then use your self restraint and don't buy it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Well, this is the nail in the coffin for me
http://www.thebitbag.com/2008/02/21/microsoft-blogger-breakfast-bullets/

360 version it is for me![/quote]

Damn...link blocked at work...what is it?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If those are your main concerns, they just go with the XBOX360 version...If the DLC is good you won't have to miss out, if its overpriced and/or sucks, then use your self restraint and don't buy it.

Damn...link blocked at work...what is it?[/QUOTE]

ie. it's basically stating how the download packs will be similar to Vice City and San Andreas. Full on expansions rather than just some new chapters.

bread's done
Back