Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

GTAIV DLC
When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV
It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
No price has been discussed yet. It’s up to Rockstar on whether or not they will charge for it
If successful, DLC may be the new way to deliver GTA expansions

Interesting - price left up to Rockstar, apparently. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? Also, DLC as the new way to deliver GTA - please no!
Edit: Also, no other system can have "DLC" content for GTAIV - so there's nothing stopping Rockstar from releasing the same content on a disc for PS3?

Oh shit that's awesome...I'm going to assume that it will cost as much as the Oblivion expansion was...though it does seem like it will be well worth it.

[quote name='slickkill77']That website updated their listing and apparantly they are full of sh*t and they were merely speculating[/quote]

Where does it say that? Do you mean the extra content won't be as big as SA/VC?

I was just about to post that, DomLando.

Looks like the right bumper will also be the window smash button so you can toss Molotov Cocktails out the window and fuck everything up.

:drool:

Oh wow, the preview just made the wait much tougher. I'm so psyched that this game is coming out right when this semester ends, I'm going to play it like a madman until summer session begins.

I like how more restricting the world is... ie. how much more it reacts back to you rather than just let you do whatever to it... examples (from previews)

-When you pull out people from their car, you may have to put up a fight before getting access

-a player shot a taxi driver through a windshield and thought it was funny... what he didnt realize is that the body put weight on the gas pedal and the car drove the player into a wall.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
-When you pull out people from their car, you may have to put up a fight before getting access
[/QUOTE]

That's been around for awhile.

[quote name='zewone']That's been around for awhile.[/quote]

What you are thinking of is when you jack someones car and they try to jack it back. In context, what Rolento said means that passengers will put up a fight even before letting the car get stolen, such as kicking and such.

Any one notice they kept on saying that Niko can get winded from running in the IGN preview like that was some new feature? :roll: Hopefully Rockstar hasn't fixed the ability to just tap the run button for infinite running action.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']
-a player shot a taxi driver through a windshield and thought it was funny... what he didnt realize is that the body put weight on the gas pedal and the car drove the player into a wall.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit! That's awesome. I can see myself having a ton of fun with this :D

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']-a player shot a taxi driver through a windshield and thought it was funny... what he didnt realize is that the body put weight on the gas pedal and the car drove the player into a wall.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='help1']What you are thinking of is when you jack someones car and they try to jack it back. In context, what Rolento said means that passengers will put up a fight even before letting the car get stolen, such as kicking and such.
[/QUOTE]

exactly :)

[quote name='HuppSav']Microsoft sucks ass in Cheapy's words.
I am going to get this on PS3 and I can't wait.[/quote]

Fine, and post your impressions in the PS3 thread, which is where your other comment should have gone.

[quote name='joe2187']OVER 100 Hours!!!!!

http://www.videogamer.com/news/28-02-2008-7645.html[/quote]
Aw man, I don't know if I should buy this game. I put in well over 100 hours on San Andreas and most of that was after I got 100%. I'm afraid of the amount of time I might put into this.

It also comes out at a bad time for me. I'll have about two more weeks of school, two very hectic and busy weeks. I'm probably going to have to wait a couple of weeks before I get it.

Also, what's the deal with no planes or bicycles? Would it really be that hard to put them in?

MS is running a GTAIV Sweepstakes:
Sweepstakes Registration

Access the official sweepstakes entry form online here and complete the form and submit it as instructed. The entry period is March 1 – April 14. You must have a valid Xbox gamertag linked to a Windows Live ID account to enter.
Don't have a gamertag yet? No problem. To obtain a free Xbox LIVE gamertag and free Windows Live account, go here and follow the instructions provided. Limit one entry per person and Xbox gamertag.
Prize Information

On or about April 23, lucky winners will be chosen from all entries to receive the following prizes:
  • Four Grand Prizes: Four winners will score a four-day/three-night trip for two to New York City to attend the Xbox LIVE Gold Grand Theft Auto IV Launch Party.
  • One Hundred First Prizes: Custom Xbox 360 Elite console
  • Two Thousand Second Prizes: A Rockstar baseball bat
  • Five Thousand Third Prizes: 500 Microsoft Points
  • Three Thousand Fourth Prizes: 1000 Microsoft Points
  • Two Thousand Fifth Prizes: 1600 Microsoft Points
  • Five Thousand Sixth Prizes: One-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
  • Three Thousand Seventh Prizes: Three-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
  • Two Thousand Eighth Prizes: One-year Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (includes the District of Columbia) 18+. Game ends April 14, 2008. For details see the Official Rules.

Good luck...full details here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/g/grandtheftautoiv/sweepstakes/default.htm

[quote name='mrchainsaw']

Also, what's the deal with no planes or bicycles? Would it really be that hard to put them in?[/quote]

Personally, I feel that this is the explanation:

Its set in NY, and Rockstar isn't that dumb to touch that subject.

As for bikes, who cares? As long as motorcycles are in, im good.

No planes because NY and Planes dont mix. Then you also really have no where to fly. Its not that big of an area that you need planes to fly to places.

Idk the planes in three were ghetto as hell but they were still fun. Same thing with San Andreas. Never played Vice City so I wouldnt know

Planes in San Andreas were fun so it kinda sucks they aren't putting them in. I wonder if they are keeping Parachuttes in the game? I hope so since I had fun leaping off of buildings and out of Helis/planes.

[quote name='help1']Now that is odd...[/QUOTE]

Probably because it looks like they made a numbering mistake with the prizes. Notice that the third place prize is worse than the 4th or 5th place prizes, etc.

I don't think that Rockstar left out planes because of 9/11. I think they left them out because there's simply nowhere to fly/land them.

[quote name='Danil ACE']I don't think that Rockstar left out planes because of 9/11. I think they left them out because there's simply nowhere to fly/land them.[/QUOTE]
There really only needs to be one Air Port. I would have taken off then just jumped out and parachutted to my destination. I would also like the challange of flying a plane in Liberty City.

Well New york has JFK, LaGuardia, & Islip as airports, so they could have had 2 airports. Because Islip is on Long Island

[quote name='anomynous']Well New york has JFK, LaGuardia, & Islip as airports, so they could have had 2 airports. Because Islip is on Long Island[/quote]

Is it confirmed that there are no airports? Maybe there are with simulated planes like in other GTA games, coming and leaving. Maybe we just cant fly planes.

Anyone aware of any decent pre-order deals? This is the only game I ever pay full price for/buy on day of release so looking for something free or maybe a few dollars off. Thanks for any help

Only like $5 off online, but you're likely to have to wait a week or two to get it then.

In-store deals, if any, are likely to show up around the beginning of April.

[quote name='-BigC-']Anyone aware of any decent pre-order deals? This is the only game I ever pay full price for/buy on day of release so looking for something free or maybe a few dollars off. Thanks for any help[/quote]

I went with Amazon.com...no tax is always good plus I wanted this nifty licence plate:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I went with Amazon.com...no tax is always good plus I wanted this nifty licence plate:

[/QUOTE]

That looks nice, but expensive. I mean I want the game, but I also want to wait for a price drop.

But if it has good, compelling multiplayer, I'm sold day 1

For those wondering about planes not being in the game....

* In GTA IV there are strip joints and, more unexpectedly, comedy clubs, which have been incorporated in a manner that is "enough to make your head spin." Edge aren't allowed to say anything else about it at this time.
* Jets and planes fly through the airport, and have visible pilots inside them. The tester drove alongside a jet, only to have a 4-star wanted level appear!
* One encounter face-to-face with a cop got the response: "I'm a cop... and you're a dickhead!"
* On the subject of multiplayer... Houser wasn't able to go into much detail, but he did mention being able to get together online in the game with no other goal other than to use it as a meeting place: "I'll meet you in a car and we'll hang and just drive and listen to music, chilling in the car, with your 3D model sat next to me," he says.
* The car paint jobs are noticable from newer cars being gleaming and spotless, to old cars being rusted and dull.
* Bulletholes and dirt are permanent on cars.
* Interior walls can be greatly damaged, "ripping chunks out of the plaster with gunfire."

Source: GTA4.net

I can't wait to hear all the funny random dialogue from pedestrians and other citizens as I'm driving or walking down the street.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I went with Amazon.com...no tax is always good plus I wanted this nifty licence plate:

[/quote]Were those plates only available during a certain pre-order period or for all LE pre-orders? I recall ordering the LE from Amazon, but not sure if the plate was listed as part of it as well when I ordered.

bread's done
Back