Grand Theft Auto IV - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='defmonkey05']So, I'm playing with my friends on Free Mode and we're talking about how awesome this game is.

And I mention that it would be sweet if there was a Zombie Invasion mode where all of the Citizens of Liberty City were zombies, your choice of fast or slow moving zombies and its a 16 player survival mode.

And if you get eaten by a zombie, you become one, the longer you live. The more your brain evolves and you are able to pick up weapons and wildly shoot them.

This would be sweet for DLC.[/quote]

Or maybe we could get Dead Rising 2 with that option...sounds like it would be sweet though.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Thats really unrealistic though. I'm only like an hour into it and I like the parking space saves your car type deal thing.[/QUOTE]

Is it the tiny parking lot across the street from the safehouse that saves your vehicle(s)?

[quote name='Matt Young']Is it the tiny parking lot across the street from the safehouse that saves your vehicle(s)?[/QUOTE]

It's right outside of your apartment on the side of the street.

Am I the only one that's really disappointed in the music for this game? Usually that's the last complaint anyone ever has with the GTA series. In all the other games in the series the music has been incredible, but with GTA 4 it seems like they decided not to spend any money or put much effort into it. Almost all of the stations suck. The only music stations I listen to are The Beat, Radio Broker, and L.C.H.C. Even with those 3 stations a lot of the songs on them aren't too hot, but they are at least mostly listenable. Besides those 3 stations there are literally only a handful of songs that I like on all the other stations combined. Been a real let down for me as I usually really look forward to all the cool radio stations. The talk stations are still top notch though at least.

Am I the only person that feels this way?

[quote name='deadite76']It's right outside of your apartment on the side of the street.[/QUOTE]

Really? Which side of the door is it on? I looked around the apartment for a parking lot, and the one across the street was the only one I could find.

[quote name='Matt Young']Really? Which side of the door is it on? I looked around the apartment for a parking lot, and the one across the street was the only one I could find.[/quote]

Its the yellow rectangle marked "parking"...it threw me off for a while too.

[quote name='kromekoran']
the first building with the stairwell you don't go up, just go through. the second building it'll be on the second to the top floor, around a corner there are two blue doors, blow the lock off the second one.
[/quote]
thank you!

Its right outside the entrance to your apartment, it's a tad hard to see the yellow lines at night but just find the safehouse and go from there.

[quote name='Blood Covenent']how do i progress in the mission :(

it seems like all that i can do is take Michelle out for dates, and roman for like, darts and drinking.

drinking and driving ftw!!! it was so funny trying to get home xD
[/quote]

i still needz halps :(

[quote name='Blood Covenent']i still needz halps :([/quote]I had that same problem. Just drive by Roman's place and the next mission will start.

[quote name='jimbodan']Am I the only one that's really disappointed in the music for this game? Usually that's the last complaint anyone ever has with the GTA series. In all the other games in the series the music has been incredible, but with GTA 4 it seems like they decided not to spend any money or put much effort into it. Almost all of the stations suck. The only music stations I listen to are The Beat, Radio Broker, and L.C.H.C. Even with those 3 stations a lot of the songs on them aren't too hot, but they are at least mostly listenable. Besides those 3 stations there are literally only a handful of songs that I like on all the other stations combined. Been a real let down for me as I usually really look forward to all the cool radio stations. The talk stations are still top notch though at least.

Am I the only person that feels this way?[/QUOTE]

I agree, I've only found one song I like.
How do custom soundtracks work in the game? Will it work like the rest? as a Radio Station?

probably dumb question. How do I access the multiplayer? Do I have to progress to a certain point in the game? Or does a menu come up the second time I load the game?

[quote name='jlarlee']probably dumb question. How do I access the multiplayer? Do I have to progress to a certain point in the game? Or does a menu come up the second time I load the game?[/QUOTE]

I believe once Roman gives you the cell phone you have access to Multiplayer.

[quote name='chasemurata']So, are we playing online multiplayer tonight? ;)[/quote]

I'm in. Someone send me a FR.

The only thing is I'm taking a break between 10-11 so I can get my Denny Crane fix.

[quote name='sp00ge']I'm in. Someone send me a FR.

The only thing is I'm taking a break between 10-11 so I can get my Denny Crane fix.[/quote]
I'll probably be playing tonight, though I'm on the west coast. I don't think there's much I watch on TV tonight, so GTAIV it is!

that does suck...I put my order in saturday, did 2 day shipping (w/amazon prime) and it came in today. Maybe you should call amazon, or email customer support.

[quote name='JJSP']I'll probably be playing tonight, though I'm on the west coast. I don't think there's much I watch on TV tonight, so GTAIV it is![/QUOTE]

Add me. I'm about to get online.

auto saving question

So i have been playing for a few hours and after every mission I see an auto save. Do I still need to go back to the safehouse before I shut the game off?

[quote name='videogamejunkie']auto saving question

So i have been playing for a few hours and after every mission I see an auto save. Do I still need to go back to the safehouse before I shut the game off?[/quote]

Not unless you want to save your progress right then and there. If not, the game will load whatever the last completed mission was if you had autosaved.

On a seperate note, my copy is having issues. It has locked up two times tonight. Dammit.

[quote name='jmillion']every1's GTAIV come w/ a 1mth trial membership?[/quote]

yes it comes packaged by the manual.

im down for a CAG GTA IV night. not sure if ill be down for it tonight but in the future fosho! definitely love this game.

edit: i haven't had my game crash yet. I did have some texture popping in and the very first time i jumped at a small hip high fence, I ended up floating in the air down the fence ~ 20 yards. Can't replicate it but it was awesome!

[quote name='mtxbass1']Not unless you want to save your progress right then and there. If not, the game will load whatever the last completed mission was if you had autosaved.

On a seperate note, my copy is having issues. It has locked up two times tonight. Dammit.[/QUOTE]

so no need for the safehouse?

Uh has anyone used the ZiT song feature thingy and had it work with the Rockstar Social Club?

I have called in and got a bunch of texts on what certain songs are but on the Rockstar Social Club it says I have zero ZiTs. It is supposed to then send you to a link somewhere on Amazon where you can buy the song but its not working.

THE GTAIV FAQ (at least from the last few pages)

1-Month Live Trial - should be on a card tucked in with the manual and map. It's the same style as the XBLA cards that come with the Arcade stick and whatnot, except with a big GTAIV logo on it. Some people have reported not getting it (Ashes Of Wake, for one), but it wouldn't surprise me if Rockstar notices and takes care of it if this is a widespread problem.

Multiplayer - everything in this game is handled through the cell phone interface. This means that you can't jump right into multiplayer from the start - you'll need to finish the first couple of missions (which shouldn't take you long) and wait for Roman to give you his phone. From there, it's in the options of the phone.

MP Free Mode (Private) - I had a hell of a time figuring this out. We just wanted to screw around in a small group and cause some chaos, but the default Free Mode options put you in with a bunch of randoms who might not have the same agenda as you. In Party Mode, enter a Free Mode game. From there, you should have an option for "private slots' - set them to "max", and set the game to your liking. Want lots of cops? Now's your chance.

Guns - There's a pistol on top of the Broker Bridge, but I believe collecting it brings you 6-stars. If the cops kill you (and they probably will), you'll still have the pistol when you respawn at the hospital.
Alternately, once you start working with Little Jacob, guns come easy - he'll give you a pistol straight out, and he tends to deal with some questionable (and well armed) people.

If I screwed that up, I apologize - the MP Free Mode thing should work, but last night, I wasn't our party leader and I'm going from what I heard over the headset.

[quote name='videogamejunkie']so no need for the safehouse?[/QUOTE]You don't need to save there unless you've made non mission related progress, like finding hidden packages, buying weapons or clothes, things like that. If you stop playing right after you've finished a mission and the game has autosaved, no problem. But if you're just exploring and find some packages or do unique jumps or whatever, that stuff won't be saved unless you go to the safehouse (or do another mission)

i finally get to play this and i must say, im impressed. the only problem i have with it is driving the vehicles, a little too realistic and most cars tends to wobble way to much while maneuvering through traffic at very high speeds. i havent been able to find any guns at all.

[quote name='Danimal']You don't need to save there unless you've made non mission related progress, like finding hidden packages, buying weapons or clothes, things like that. If you stop playing right after you've finished a mission and the game has autosaved, no problem. But if you're just exploring and find some packages or do unique jumps or whatever, that stuff won't be saved unless you go to the safehouse (or do another mission)[/QUOTE]

thank you

[quote name='videogamejunkie']auto saving question

So i have been playing for a few hours and after every mission I see an auto save. Do I still need to go back to the safehouse before I shut the game off?[/quote]

No, the auto save is enough.

edit: I see I was too late

I am starting to hate this game. The way the cars controle is just shit. Atleast thats what I think. It always has been from GTA3 and up. Now I ended up starting over thanks to my 360 fucking up. This is the third time I have started over due to this and I can not even get past the first date mission. Anyone else having issues with this game? Every time but once it locked up on me and the time it didn't lock up the controler would not work. Ended up some how sending my controler to port 2 and could not get it back to port one so I ended up having to reset the system then have it lock up on me after that.

Is anyone else having trouble getting online? I keep getting disconnected before anything even loads in both ranked and player matches. On the rare occasion I do connect, nobody joins the game...

I don't have my copy yet as it's almost finals week and I don't want to screw myself over.

Has anyone with a Gold account entered the 1 month code? I've seen some people saying it adds a month and others saying it's starting the subscription over and it's only good for a month. Just wondering if it's a general free month for free or really only a trial. Thanks

Just got my special edition in the mail. My lockbox came... well locked. Good thing the lock is janky, I used a small swiss army knife to open it.

[quote name='phear3d'] i havent been able to find any guns at all.[/QUOTE]Here's a couple I've found, if you're interested:
There's a shotgun north of Meadows Park in Dukes at the end of a broken down pier. If you look at your fold-out map, on the subway side, it's the pier to the right of the one with the green # 8. Also, on Concord Ave. (NW part of Broker) there's a skeletal building near the city pool. On the top floor is a micro SMG.

This is the first GTA game that I've actually tried to play outside of Liberty City Stories on the PSP (never had a PS2), which I thought was really good when I started it a couple months ago.

I don't like the way the cars control either, but I haven't experienced any of the technical issues that I've heard so much about. The missions don't seem to be too compelling so far, but I'm not too deep into the game (about the 6% completed mark). I have some other complaints but the game is still fun to play, and I'm sure the multiplayer modes will be a lot of fun, even though I haven't really tried them out yet. I'm glad I bought it, and but I'm not sure if it deserves the 10s. Rock Band, Oblivion, and Halo 3 are still my favorite 360 games for right now, and I think they are all more deserving of the perfect score personally, but that opinion might change once I get further into GTA IV.

This game is just way too fucking good.

I've on to the second safehouse, after Roman's Lament (?). If anyone else has gotten this far, you know how good it is.

bread's done
Back