Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 25% Off Hitman

[quote name='nategator']One word: cHargeback
[/QUOTE]

I hate to open up this whole can of worms again but...

Part of a doing a chargeback is that you make a good faith attempt to resolve the situation with the merchant and after a reasonable amount of time were not able to get the situation resolved.

Perhaps someone should submit a ticket to Green Man Gaming's support first and allow them a bit of time to respond seeing as though they are in a completely different time zone in another part of the world and all.

I'm not saying they don't bear some responsibility here or that they shouldn't be held to giving the correct keys for the correct regions, however activating a key and five seconds later applying for a chargeback without even attempting to contact GMG first is not how chargebacks work.

[quote name='Motoki']I hate to open up this whole can of worms again but...

Part of a doing a chargeback is that you make a good faith attempt to resolve the situation with the merchant and after a reasonable amount of time were not able to get the situation resolved.

Perhaps someone should submit a ticket to Green Man Gaming's support first and allow them a bit of time to respond seeing as though they are in a completely different time zone in another part of the world and all.

I'm not saying they don't bear some responsibility here or that they shouldn't be held to giving the correct keys for the correct regions, however activating a key and five seconds later applying for a chargeback without even attempting to contact GMG first is not how chargebacks work.[/QUOTE]

One word: Entitlement

But seriously, I think the assumption, and that's what it was, an assumption, that the term NA or US (as in gamersgate's case) meant that you guys were buying the Steam US Region version of the game was based on misinformation:

Sleeping Dogs, the upcoming Hong Kong-based gritty action title from Square Enix received a Z rating from the Japanese rating organization CERO (the equivalent of an AO rating from the ESRB). As a result, the game will be modified for Japanese audiences, particularly to penalize players for attacking civilians, according to CVG.

I believe the "US" or "NA" version just means that it is the non-censored version as opposed to the censored Japanese version.

I get the concern about having a non-US key on your Steam account, at the same time these are UK retailers so what did you expect? Also, I believe if there was any issue with these retailers selling EU keys to US buyers it would be in their Terms and Conditions and I don't see that.

As long as the key doesn't require a workaround to activate or isn't bought from a region where steam retail prices are lower than your region to fight piracy (Russia and Brazil come to mind) I don't really think you guys have anything to worry about.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']One word: Entitlement
[/QUOTE]

One of my jobs years ago was actually working at a bank researching chargebacks. Yes some banks actually do research them. We'd go back to the merchant based on what the customer said and sometimes if the merchant appeared to have made attempts to resolve and could back it up we sided with the merchant.

Also if the merchant says they never even were contacted by the customer in the first place and the customer could not provide any evidence that they did in fact contact the merchant then we'd deny their claim.

Now I can't say every bank does this and some may consider charges under a certain dollar amount such small potatoes that it's easier to just credit than have staff spend man hours researching it, but I can say that in some circumstances some banks do check and in those cases they do expect the customer to have made an effort before going to them.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']One word: Entitlement

But seriously, I think the assumption, and that's what it was, an assumption, that the term NA or US (as in gamersgate's case) meant that you guys were buying the Steam US Region version of the game was based on misinformation:

Sleeping Dogs, the upcoming Hong Kong-based gritty action title from Square Enix received a Z rating from the Japanese rating organization CERO (the equivalent of an AO rating from the ESRB). As a result, the game will be modified for Japanese audiences, particularly to penalize players for attacking civilians, according to CVG.

I believe the "US" or "NA" version just means that it is the non-censored version as opposed to the censored Japanese version.

I get the concern about having a non-US key on your Steam account, at the same time these are UK retailers so what did you expect? Also, I believe if there was any issue with these retailers selling EU keys to US buyers it would be in their Terms and Conditions and I don't see that.

As long as the key doesn't require a workaround to activate or isn't bought from a region where steam retail prices are lower than your region to fight piracy (Russia and Brazil come to mind) I don't really think you guys have anything to worry about.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, "entitled." The last counter-argument of defending failures in customer service.

[quote name='nategator']Ah yes, "entitled." The last counter-argument of defending failures in customer service.[/QUOTE]

Okay but a failure in customer service requires contacting customer service in the first place. These people literally just got their codes and it's quite late now in the UK.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not even gonna plug mine in until I see some reports from people that it is an NA key. That message about the wrong key says this: "please be aware that any keys distributed in error will be deactivated at the first available opportunity." Would rather not have my EU version of the game removed from my account partway through the game.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Re: EU keys: https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/21851953-sleeping-dogs-na-customers-and-incorrect-keys

They're going to fix it.[/QUOTE]

It has come to our attention that some customers in North America appear to have received EU steam keys for Sleeping Dogs. We apologise for this and we are in the process of distributing the correct keys to customers. We whole heartedly apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, please bare with us while we get the correct keys for your game to you!

Thank you for your understanding, and please be aware that any keys distributed in error will be deactivated at the first available opportunity.

Thanks again for your understanding.

At least they know about the issue and acknowledge it.

[quote name='Meeza']At least they know about the issue and acknowledge it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because there is a topic on their forum informing them of it.

This is a crosspost from the Steam Deals thread (it really belongs here, but most of the insanity is over there)

I spent ~1 hour getting started and playing 3 in-game days. I the only reference point to something similar I have is Persona 3 FES.

High School Dreams seems to meet expectations in structure, managing activites and relationships on a Persona 3 like level of limited-time-in-a-day. Where Persona 3 is menu driven, High School dreams works more like many third person RPGs/TPSs (Third Person Socializers, duh ^_~). There are customization options for you room/clothes/hair/accessories/makeup with the intention that you pickup more choices from the mall.

The script is well written and sufficiently varied to suit a "grown-up". There is wit, sarcasm, & humor. So far the game consists of dialogs, walking around talking to people, walking around to find people, places, things, shopping, a running hidden-objects-lite minigame, some other guitar hero-lite mini games. In three in game days, I made some friends, when shopping, found things/places, had a date, had a sleepover.

The voice acting is quite enjoyable. While the graphics won't wow you, they have a bright and consistent look that suits the game. I do suspect they are 1024x768 though. No aliasing annoyances. The music sets the mood during activities.

It has a subtitles option (in well integrated dialog bubbles). I didn't catch anything that wasn't also written, but I can't be 100% sure. (Sometimes minutes can go by watching japanese dramas without realizing the subtitles aren't working.) It is also suitable for one handed play.

Minor Quibbles: The engine seems to have a little bit of random momentary pause (but not stutter). The UI isn't completely obvious (it's good, but a little experimentation is in order). For example you can navigate with keyboard or mouse. I haven't figured how to run using the mouse. The inital load time when starting/loading a game is several attention spans long (20 seconds?).

If you have any interest in High School Dreams, it's an easy recommend at $1.23 (24 hour sale), and I personally would pick it up at it's normal $5.

I'm betting there's no practical difference between EU and US keys except the EU keys were set to download for real at Tues Morn EU time but the US keys have to wait for AMERICA time.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I'm betting there's no practical difference between EU and US keys except the EU keys were set to download for real at Tues Morn EU time but the US keys have to wait for AMERICA time.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it unlocks for the EU until Friday

Did they run out of Limited Edition Sleeping Dogs, or was that a mistake? Says it's the top selling version but the store only shows the "digital" edition. They are all digital. o_O

Got a email but I don't see the key... Am I not seeing something here?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for prepurchasing Sleeping Dogs Digital Edition (NA) from Green Man
Gaming.

You are receiving this email because your game will be available for download on
14 Aug 2012 at 01:01 UTC.

Download URL: https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/entries/388665-how-to-download-a-steam-activated-game

Should you have any problems, simply give us a call.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Sleeping Dogs key this afternoon but now I don't know if I should redeem it or not, considering the NA and EU confusion, and GMG sending an email stating that keys would be changed. I don't know if I have the correct key or not. My preorder email says Limited Edition, and I'm in Brazil.

[quote name='Blindman']Where was the key located within the email?.... strange thats all I got.... for my email didnt see key anywhere[/QUOTE]

I got the same e-mail as you, it's just an e-mail alerting you it will be available soon to download (and is getting you prepared telling you to install Steam).

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']I got the same e-mail as you, it's just an e-mail alerting you it will be available soon to download (and is getting you prepared telling you to install Steam).[/QUOTE]

I got the e-mail as well.. It doesn't look to good if you take a look at the greenman gaming forums. Hopefully we get the keys soon, but they do have almost an hour.

Well that sucks I didn't realize they had swapped the limited for the digital. Looks like even when I ordered two weeks ago it was the digital so I don't get the extra content. Boo

I got my limited ed key at noon today cant wait to start playing Sleeping Dogs tonight.

Dear boredasfook,

You are receiving this email because the keys for Sleeping Dogs: Limited Edition that you have been waiting for have been just added to your account.

[quote name='pROvIs']Well that sucks I didn't realize they had swapped the limited for the digital. Looks like even when I ordered two weeks ago it was the digital so I don't get the extra content. Boo[/QUOTE]

Gamersgate still seems to be selling the limited for $44.99 (-15% if you have the code). Don't know if a cancel rebuy would be worth the hassle.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Gamersgate still seems to be selling the limited for $44.99 (-15% if you have the code). Don't know if a cancel rebuy would be worth the hassle.[/QUOTE]

I can't find it on their site. It's probably not worth it as I got it for $32 or so.

Limited Edition is just code for giving the Police Protection DLC and Saint Pierre DLC. Don't get your panties in a twist kids. My EU key has the Police Protection and Street Racer pack which I'd rather have. You know we'll all be buying full sets of this junk down the line on clearance like we did for JC2's DLC.

I don't like that GMG gave us this uncertainty but there's almost no way they can unfuck this tonight unless it unlocks soon and it was never fucked to begin with. Either it will unlock in 20 minutes for us or we can wait a bit longer. Your backlog ain't getting any smaller kids. I know you ain't done all dat Ys Origins unlocks. Do that for a day or two, GMG will placate you with free swag. Don't worry.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SDOGSLEUS/sleeping-dogs-tm-limited-edition-us

It'd be $38.24 there with the discount (and like $2 bucks in blue coins I think back.

So net cost is comparable. The DLC on the limited is cool, but you can probably just buy it down the line during a steam sale.[/QUOTE]

Oops missed the gamers gate part of that. Thing is I have no faith that GMG will cancel my order before sending a key so it's not an option.

[quote name='RollingSkull']And guess who's Sleeping Dogs (EU) now seems to be loading up? That's right: Me. Bam. We'll see if it decrypts properly.[/QUOTE]

Expect corrupt game files, enjoy! LOL.

[quote name='TraBuch']I'm definitely not enjoying the corrupt game files. fucking lame.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be a Steam issue, restart Steam if you haven't deleted the game files yet like me :(.

Got darksiders 2 code from them and played it for about an hour, the game is awesome so far. I loved the first one and they've only improved upon that one.

Saved a couple of bucks, have to wait more hours to even download the game.

So... Not up on the code issue.

Limited = EU?
Digital = NA?

[quote name='TheBomb69']I never got any codes from GMG. Just an email stating I can download at 1:01 UTC?[/QUOTE]
I got the same email. No code :(

No Sleeping Dogs key yet for me. Got my Darksiders II key the other day and that's installing as I type this. I'd be pretty peeved if SD was the only game I was getting today.

bread's done
Back