GS TIV: Trade 2/4/7 get extra $10/25/50 on 360/PS3/Wii games, $30 HW bonus on new HW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD HERE: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6866412

[quote name='CheapyD']I'd like to encourage you guys to submit your GameStop trade-in values to our database directly. You can access it from the main navigation bar under Retailers -> GameStop or here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/retailer.php?do=view&retailerid=13[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jp0213']I've received a couple pm's from people wanting to contribute prices but don't want to get harassed about selling to someone or getting more at place x. If this is the case for anyone, you can pm me any values and I'll update them in the list and database.[/QUOTE]

Upcoming Promos:

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I didn't see this posted here.

I work at GS and we just got the info on this in today's store informer. Basically 50% trade in credit on ALL games. Yes, every game and no minimum value. As usual it stacks with Edge card.

I know I have some crap to unload come Monday![/QUOTE]

flagg1216 also noted that this promo only goes for a week.

[quote name='flagg1216']wii/ps3/360 trade 2 for 20% bonus 4 for 30%bonus or 6+ for 40%

no other info.no pics.[/QUOTE]
This one will probably start after the week long Extra 50% on all games promo.

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

Trade more, get more! (2/21/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade any 2 Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii games and get an extra $10 trade-in credit, trade 4 get $25 or trade 7 get $50.

Expires: 2/21/2010. Games with a trade value of $5.00 or less are excluded from offer. Offer valid only toward games normally accepted in trade. Offer not good on cash trades.[/QUOTE]

$30 Towards New Hardware (2/21/2010)
[quote name='GameStop.com']Trade in any Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, DSi, DSlite or PSP toward any new systems and get an extra $30 trade-in credit.

Expires: 2/21/2010. Offer only valid toward the purchase of a new hardware system. Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only.[/QUOTE]

GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID (thanks Xfactor4)
THE GAMESTOP USED GAME PRODUCT ID "CRACKED":

:gc:=916xxx
:360:=952xxx
:ps2:=938xxx or 939xxx
:wii:=917xxx
:psp:=935xxx
:ds:=919xxx
:ps3:=930xxx
:gba:=914xxx

FAQ
Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

How much does an EDGE card subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an EDGE card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game and an extra 10% off the purchase of used games.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your EDGE card.

Does the EDGE Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What states charge sales tax on purchases made with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Arkansas, California, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania,
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin, Virginia,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
Playstation 2: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller (Must be a DualShock2)
GameCube: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and cut the trade-in value in half. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

First post contains promo information and the FAQ. Second post has the 360/Wii/PS3 values. Third post has the PS2/GC values. Fourth post has PSP/DS values.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sgaldis']Do you live in a tax free state? I can't see where you would make more than about $15-20 doing this. Three top tier $54.99 games would be around $106 with EDGE and B2G1 (I factored in sales tax at a pretty standard 8%).

If you traded them back in (with the 50% bump, inlcuding EDGE):
AC2: $45
Uncharted, Borderlands, Dragon Age: $37.50/ea
ODST:$40.50
Batman: $34.87

Total would be right at $232.87. minus your $212, you made about $20 bucks, I reckon. If you didn't have that Ass Creed, you would have only gotten about $10.[/QUOTE]

At least for my state, the purchase of used games with a Gamestop credit is tax-free, and so after Edge and B2G1 Free, the cost of each game at 49.49 becomes 98.98 for three games. Two times that amount is 197.96. Total profit after all said and done is roughly $32. I did something similar, but I only plan on doing this once and not abusing it because this will only lower TIV for others.

Yeah paid with credit which means no tax. So that is $198 total.

TIV for New Super Mario Bros is $25. Saw it up on the board yesterday.

[quote name='anthfett06']Yeah paid with credit which means no tax. So that is $198 total.

TIV for New Super Mario Bros is $25. Saw it up on the board yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Ahh..thanks mate!

[quote name='anthfett06']Yeah paid with credit which means no tax. So that is $198 total.

TIV for New Super Mario Bros is $25. Saw it up on the board yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Luckily in CA we still get charged tax even with credit.

Hmmm so I'm thinking of doing that trade in two games deal to get New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but so far I only have Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games to trade in. Is there a cheap game on that list of games to trade in that I could possibly get somewhere?

Does anyone think that ODST TIV will drop since Gamestop will be selling it for $40 new? Cause I'm wanting to get rid of it soon.

just traded in a few games an hour ago. forgot to ask them how much each got before saying yes, o well. I could of gotten a few more bucks at GameCrazy.

base tivs
halo 3 - $13
halo odst - $27
COD4M (360) - $9.75
NFSU (PS3) - $8
DBZ bust (PS3) - $5
RF:guerilla (PS3) -15

[quote name='bgame2']Wow, Mario kart Ds is 20 base?[/QUOTE]

Yep. It was posted on their board in-store. $30 after edge + the trade 6 bonus.

[quote name='Vap']Does anyone think that ODST TIV will drop since Gamestop will be selling it for $40 new? Cause I'm wanting to get rid of it soon.[/QUOTE]

I think if anything it'll drop to like $20~$25. I'd think it'd be best to get rid of your copy as soon as possible though, IF you want max profit out of your game. If you still want to play the MP, then by all means hold onto it.

[quote name='Miro']I think if anything it'll drop to like $20~$25. I'd think it'd be best to get rid of your copy as soon as possible though, IF you want max profit out of your game. If you still want to play the MP, then by all means hold onto it.[/QUOTE]

I agree. With all the major retailers selling it cheaply during BF, Gamestop will sure see a spike in trade-ins on it. It is best to get rid of it ASAP before its value goes under 10 if you are thinking of getting rid of it.

[quote name='lordopus99']I agree. With all the major retailers selling it cheaply during BF, Gamestop will sure see a spike in trade-ins on it. It is best to get rid of it ASAP before its value goes under 10 if you are thinking of getting rid of it.[/QUOTE]

I think now is the perfect time to get rid of games because of the B2G1 Free sale, (buy 3 $55 games will net around the same amount back on GS credit, but you can use them to boost your other three games) but most games will see a spike. As for Halo ODST, I don't see that game falling below $10 anytime soon (I mean Halo 3 is still $13 and that game is 2 years old).

Can anyone confirm that game with a base TIV of less than $2 do not count towards the the 2/4/6 -> 10%/20%/40% deal? I tried to trade in a several old, worthless games along with some higher TIV to take advantage of the promotion and was told I couldn't do that, even though the fine print on the web site ad says nothing about a $2 minimum. I'm wondering if it's worth trying a different GS or trying to force the issue at the one that turned me down...

There is no such thing as there having to be a $2 minimum for this promo. You should go back to the GS you were at and ask them to show you were it states that. I have traded in many worthless games under $1 just to get to the extra 40%.

[quote name='anthfett06']There is no such thing as there having to be a $2 minimum for this promo. You should go back to the GS you were at and ask them to show you were it states that. I have traded in many worthless games under $1 just to get to the extra 40%.[/QUOTE]

Weird, because I could've sworn that I had done this before myself. Yet when I called another local store the told me the same $2 thing applied... maybe i'll go into a different and not take no for an answer

A GS employee snuck a refurb fee of $3 on me and didn't tell me. I didn't know until I saw my receipt later on. Is it possible to get this refunded? It's listed under "New Merchandise".

Not really a change in price, but just so you can update the last known date, :ps3: Lego Rock Band still gets $17 as of today.

Hey sorry for the lack of updates the last couple of days guys. Updating through the iphone is a real pain in the ass. Have proper internet tonight so should be able to get up to date. Again, apologize for that.

[quote name='wildpygmy']Can anyone confirm that game with a base TIV of less than $2 do not count towards the the 2/4/6 -> 10%/20%/40% deal? I tried to trade in a several old, worthless games along with some higher TIV to take advantage of the promotion and was told I couldn't do that, even though the fine print on the web site ad says nothing about a $2 minimum. I'm wondering if it's worth trying a different GS or trying to force the issue at the one that turned me down...[/QUOTE]

Did you have any PS2, GameCube, etc games? That could be why you got shot down.

I think others have reported that GS is no longer accepting the old Burger King games for trade, I know people have in the past liked to use those as filler. One more possible reason for a rejection.

Those trade 2, get L4D2 for $19.99 promos bump your trades up to $20. Since L4D2 is now $40, do you think we can just trade 2 games on the list and get L4D2 for free?

Will that work?

[quote name='chuckywang']Those trade 2, get L4D2 for $19.99 promos bump your trades up to $20. Since L4D2 is now $40, do you think we can just trade 2 games on the list and get L4D2 for free?

Will that work?[/QUOTE]
No because the promo is to get L4D2 for $19.99, not to get $20 for each trade in. So it would just bump the tivs up to $10.

Can Gamestop employees get fired if they let someone trade in two of the same game?

I was trying to trade in a game for the 360 and a game for the ps3, but they were the same title. The employee told me if he let me trade in both he could get fired. Is this true?

Should I tell him that I'll trade in one copy at his store and the other copy at the store .6 of a mile away? It will cost me about .75 cents worth of gas so I don't know.

I'm sure a GS employee could be fired for a lot of things. I doubt the employee meant he would get fired for THAT specific instance, but enough of them, yeah. They are not suppose to take two copies of the same game. Though, in this case, that really doesn't apply, because it's not really two copies of the same game.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I was trying to trade in a game for the 360 and a game for the ps3, but they were the same title. The employee told me if he let me trade in both he could get fired. Is this true?[/QUOTE]

If that were true, I've gotten a bunch of people fired in the past couple of years. :D Same title, different platforms has never been an issue in my experience.

Reminds me of when I tried trading in a 2nd Edition GTA San Andreas and the guy said he'd get fired for accepting it because of the Hot Coffee mod. I told him it was 2nd Edition so he was safe, but he wouldn't budge.

[quote name='wildpygmy']Can anyone confirm that game with a base TIV of less than $2 do not count towards the the 2/4/6 -> 10%/20%/40% deal? I tried to trade in a several old, worthless games along with some higher TIV to take advantage of the promotion and was told I couldn't do that, even though the fine print on the web site ad says nothing about a $2 minimum. I'm wondering if it's worth trying a different GS or trying to force the issue at the one that turned me down...[/QUOTE]

Thats funky I must have gotten lucky then and your SA was a douche. I just got back from a fat GS Flip.

Call of Juarez Bound in Blood - 15 - I paid 10
Lego Batman - 10.50 - I paid 5
MGS4 - 11.25 - I paid 2
(less then 2 dolar game) Virtua Tennis 3 - 1.50 - I paid 2
RE5 - 10.50 - I paid 5
Lego Indy - 9.75 I paid 5

Bought L4d2 29.99 and got 28.50 on a GC. WOOT

Yeah I traded in Virtua Tennis 3 and Lego Indiana Jones and I'm pretty sure both were under $1 when I traded them in for this deal.

As of 11/27

:360:
Spider-Man Web of Shadows- 9.75
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga- 7.25
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2009- 7
The Wheelman- 7.25
Grand Theft Auto 4- 8.75
Call of Duty World At War- 12.25

52.25 Before EDGE

They can get in trouble for multiple copies even on different systems. Refurbishment fees are for discs that are scratched up. Many promotions involving extra credit for trade-ins require the titles to trade in for $2 or more. Many stores do not take the burger king games as they are xbox games and not xbox 360 games. Certainly people may get lucky and not have things checked or have employees that don't care. Just because one person gets a slacking employee does not mean everyone will.

[quote name='emd081603']They can get in trouble for multiple copies even on different systems. Refurbishment fees are for discs that are scratched up. Many promotions involving extra credit for trade-ins require the titles to trade in for $2 or more. Many stores do not take the burger king games as they are xbox games and not xbox 360 games. Certainly people may get lucky and not have things checked or have employees that don't care. Just because one person gets a slacking employee does not mean everyone will.[/QUOTE]

This should be at the top of the first post, right below CheapyD's announcement. Or something along these lines at least.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Did you have any PS2, GameCube, etc games? That could be why you got shot down.[/QUOTE]

Nope, had some low value 360 and DS games I was trying to trade in. I think I found a store around here that would take them so I will try them tomorrow.

how much do you think gamestop will give for my xbox 360 arcade w/ 120gb HD in perfect condition (had it less than a year) with all the cables and a controller, even the arcade and sonic game that came with it if they'll take em.

Has anyone ever tryed to trade in a Nintendo DS with a really fucked up touch screen? So bad that the touch screen almost doesn't work? I really don't care if I don't get much out of it,I just want to get rid of it.

[quote name='advanced']This should be at the top of the first post, right below CheapyD's announcement. Or something along these lines at least.[/QUOTE]

Most of those items are in the FAQ. The Burger King games item is a new one though.

[quote name='Vap']Has anyone ever tryed to trade in a Nintendo DS with a really fucked up touch screen? So bad that the touch screen almost doesn't work? I really don't care if I don't get much out of it,I just want to get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

In my area as long as there is a scan-able barcode on the system (along with a/c adapter) then it's fair game. This is a case of YMMV though as your store(s) may actually take time to look.

[quote name='chuckywang']Those trade 2, get L4D2 for $19.99 promos bump your trades up to $20. Since L4D2 is now $40, do you think we can just trade 2 games on the list and get L4D2 for free?

Will that work?[/QUOTE] If the 2 games you trade off the list total 40 or more yea, if above you will get credit as well.

[quote name='emd081603']They can get in trouble for multiple copies even on different systems. Refurbishment fees are for discs that are scratched up. Many promotions involving extra credit for trade-ins require the titles to trade in for $2 or more. Many stores do not take the burger king games as they are xbox games and not xbox 360 games. Certainly people may get lucky and not have things checked or have employees that don't care. Just because one person gets a slacking employee does not mean everyone will.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't doubt them not accepting the BK games. However, I do believe they made BK 360 versions if I remember correctly.

[quote name='jp0213']Most of those items are in the FAQ. The Burger King games item is a new one though.[/QUOTE]

Ah-Burn!

Good coverage though. I get tired of the questions in this thread.

The 3 BK games I have are 360 games - with achievements and all...

Anyway, my first GS trades in more than a month. I just couldn't let this promo go by unscathed (especially with the HWV $4.99 sale going on ;)):

(all base values of course)
:360:
Halo 3 - $13 ($2 drop?)
Halo Wars - $15
Red Faction Guerilla - $14.25
Saints Row 2 - $9.50

:ds:
Mario Kart - $20 (yes, $20 base - meaning $30 after promo!)
NSMB - $15

So, yeah, Mario Kart was quite a shock especially since I have it written down as $13.75 from the list in the OP (when I checked it yesterday). Those who think people are getting ripped off when they trade to GS need to see that. Sometimes these promos are very good if you trade the right things. I compared most of those games to the going rates on eBay and GS with the promo came out favorably or even better, especially considering the condition of some of these (both DS games were cart-only, Halo 3 was refurbed and missing the manual, though the rest were near mint). GS also had Gamecrazy and Amazon beat on most of these (or at least within a dollar or two).

The only pain, of course, is that you need 6 games while Gamecrazy has their 30% per game bonus (which doesn't stack with MVP, annoyingly) and Amazon has higher TiV in general but no promo at this time.

Anyway, I was quite happy to get $130 plus change for those 6 games.

By the way, they turned right around and sold the NSMB to the next person in line who was buying a used DS for a present. I was back up front buying some B2G1 stuff and she had asked about the game and the clerk asked another guy to look for one and he said they didn't have one. I gently reminded him that I just traded one in 2 minutes ago ;). The lady asked me if it sucked (thus why I traded it). I assured her that it most certainly did not but that my kids were done playing with it (in reality this was a cart-only copy I got at HWV and of course I have kept my original since release).

By the way, I just checked and Mario Kart is $20 in the CAG database (though $13.75 in the OP). I know Cheapy wants us to update that directly but I find jp's list so much more convenient when I have a huge pile of games I want to price out. It's a pain to type each one in and wait for the response...

GS TIV (base) 11/27:

:wii:
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - $8.50

:ps3:
The Bigs 2 - $15
Lego SW: Complete Saga - $9.50

:psp:
GOW: Chains of Olympus - $5.75

:ds:
GH On Tour: Decades - $3.75
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - $18

I was all set to trade in LOZ: TP :gc: but then I realized that last-gen games were excluded from the trade-in promo. Luckily, I had a copy of LSW:CS that I had bought during a previous b2g1. I even came out ahead on that trade (about $3).

I'll just trade LOZ:TP towards LOZ: Spirit Tracks (power trade) and get an extra 35% (after Edge).

[quote name='Estebon']Is there a dollar amount for these games to count?[/QUOTE]

Usually not on the % bonus promos because if it is just $1 or 10 cents trade-in the percentage bonus won't make much difference. But then again, this is the first time I've seen them exclude the last-gen stuff which I would think they wouldn't do for the same reason (most of it is lower). But I guess there are a few higher-priced PS2 and GC games that they want to maintain the high values for but not give any extra.

[quote name='Vap']Has anyone ever tryed to trade in a Nintendo DS with a really fucked up touch screen? So bad that the touch screen almost doesn't work? I really don't care if I don't get much out of it,I just want to get rid of it.[/QUOTE]

$15 I believe... as long as it's still in one piece.

If the screen is really messed up it could get traded in with the previously mentioned refurbishment fee. That would drop it from $30 to around $20ish.

All from today and before promos, all for 360.

50 Cent: Blood in the Sand - $5.50
GRID - $5.25
Eternal Sonata - $7.75
Condemned 2 - $2.25

I got hit with a fucking refurb fee for GRID. I'm not totally surprised because I had bought it used from Movie Gallery not 15 minutes beforehand, but I know the GS employee pretty well so I wasn't really expecting him to actually use it. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back