Guitar Hero Live (w/ Mic) @ BB $70/$56 GCU

The phone people can't do an adjustment for an in-store purchase right? (i already lost my receipt and have to use the one they emailed to me but that also means I have a digital copy I can send them) {edit: actually it's probably in the box .__.} I already had to make a second trip to get the mic added on and I have a feeling this plus using a bunch of gift cards isn't going to work out for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Being your first guitar hero game you should be really happy with it. For myself, whereas I have played all of the ones released prior, I'm disappointed in the song selection and micro transactions to play (not own) some of the better classics.

For that price ($56), though, it's worth it for the guitar and the stock song selection. Also, they will probably be releasing more games in the future that will utilize the new guitar.
Can't you play GHTV to earn more "credits" to play songs on demand? Reminds me of the slacker radio app w/ the skips.

The phone people can't do an adjustment for an in-store purchase right? (i already lost my receipt and have to use the one they emailed to me but that also means I have a digital copy I can send them) {edit: actually it's probably in the box .__.} I already had to make a second trip to get the mic added on and I have a feeling this plus using a bunch of gift cards isn't going to work out for me
yes adjustments on in store purchases have to be done in store the phone reps can't access that stuff

The price is the same in-store as it is online. I went to Best Buy at noon today. All of the price tags said $69.99 and they had a few of the microphones left. The game rang up at $55.99 with GCU and the microphone was free. I wasn't planning on picking it up this soon, but this seems like a great price. I also picked up Rock Band 4 and am pretty tired of waiting for the legacy DLC and exports to get here, so this will be something new in the meantime.

The price is the same in-store as it is online. I went to Best Buy at noon today. All of the price tags said $69.99 and they had a few of the microphones left. The game rang up at $55.99 with GCU and the microphone was free. I wasn't planning on picking it up this soon, but this seems like a great price. I also picked up Rock Band 4 and am pretty tired of waiting for the legacy DLC and exports to get here, so this will be something new in the meantime.
Same here, just got back from BB. Rang up at the sale price and they had plenty of mic's left.

One less thing to worry about on Black Friday plus a free mic. Hard to pass up.

yes adjustments on in store purchases have to be done in store the phone reps can't access that stuff
Ahh. I figured. Turns out I don't have the receipt from the return / rebuy to get the mic. But online I can get the customer service PIN. I wonder if that's actually good enough to find the receipt in store

Tell them to read their own price match policy! Second to last question in the FAQ covers this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-topics/price-match-guarantee/pcmcat297300050000.c?id=pcmcat297300050000
Thank you SO much for this. I just called, the rep said they are not allowed to apply a price match and reapply GCU after the fact, because its applying the discount TWICE (morons). I asked for a supervisor, which took 30 mins wait time. Apparently she talked to her supervisor, who talked to thier supervisor and agreed to do a ONE TIME courtesy adjustment. While she was gone, i scrutinized the website, and quoted it to her, who said she had no idea, that's not how it works, and said she has no access to the best buy site to check.

But all in all, after all the hassle, got the price adjusted to 55$, with 20$ in certs id already spent, bringing it down to 35$ plus tax. Such grief for a simple price match, with their own site. She originally told me i need to order another and return it on the original receipt. FYI, heres the part that covers GCU specifically that got me the match:

How does the Price Match Guarantee apply to My Best Buy® Gamers Club Unlocked purchases?

My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked members can save 20% on new video games. For purposes of the Best Buy Price Match Guarantee, Best Buy takes the discounted My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked price into account prior to a price match request. For example, if Best Buy sells a new game for $59.99, a My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked member will be able to buy it for $47.99. The $47.99 price is the price we would compare for price match purposes. If a competitor sells the game for $49.99, there would not be a need for a price match as the Best Buy price is lower. If a competitor sells a game for $44.99, we would match that price and sell a My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked member the game for $44.99 with no additional discount. If Best Buy lowers our price during the return and exchange period on a My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked purchase, we will, upon request, apply the 20% discount on the new lower price. For example, If a Gamers Club Unlocked member paid $47.99 for a new game priced at $59.99 and Best Buy lowers the price to $49.99 during the return and exchange period, we will, upon request, price match the new price with the 20% discount and sell the My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked member the game for $39.99.

I'm thinking about getting Guitar Hero Live but I'm afraid it will end up unused after a couple of months collecting dust like that Rock Band bundle I got back in the PS2 days. 

So my question for those who own or plan to own it: is it worth it? is it fun? Is it worth dealing with another plastic guitar and the game? What is it about it that makes it so special compared to Rock Band 4 or the previous guitar hero and rock band games? Any Pros or Cons?

I could buy it for 70 - GCU - $20 VISA Checkout. I just want to absolute sure it is something I want.

I'm thinking about getting Guitar Hero Live but I'm afraid it will end up unused after a couple of months collecting dust like that Rock Band bundle I got back in the PS2 days.

So my question for those who own or plan to own it: is it worth it? is it fun? Is it worth dealing with another plastic guitar and the game? What is it about it that makes it so special compared to Rock Band 4 or the previous guitar hero and rock band games? Any Pros or Cons?

I could buy it for 70 - GCU - $20 VISA Checkout. I just want to absolute sure it is something I want.
In all honesty, i played it for about 2 hours and havent touched it since. Sure fallout, battlefront and tombraider might have something to do with that.

Its good, prefer the 3x2 button layout (feels more realistic to me). Main thing i found with it, is the effects and FMV started to give me a headache rather quickly. Its better than rock band, GH live is pretty good (basically its mtv that you play along to). For 40$ its worth if you like guitar rhythm games.

My price match took a few minutes, but wasn't too terrible.  Glad that I was able to get it done without much of any issue.  

While she was gone, i scrutinized the website, and quoted it to her, who said she had no idea, that's not how it works, and said she has no access to the best buy site to check.
No access to the website? I call bologna. Even if the call center you are calling isn't domestic I'm sure they have access.

Glad it worked out in the end! What an ordeal!

No access to the website? I call bologna. Even if the call center you are calling isn't domestic I'm sure they have access.

Glad it worked out in the end! What an ordeal!
She was nice enough, american accent so im sure it was domestic. "having problems with our systems the last 2 days" was the reason. I just took exception to her claiming it was a one time deal, like im putting them out. She thanked me for bringing this "new" policy to her attention as none of her reps knew about it. Was a bit of BS at this point, how can they not know?.

Anyhow, thanks again, that link just got me 24$ back. Should help on all the BF Best buy games im about to order :p

She was nice enough, american accent so im sure it was domestic. "having problems with our systems the last 2 days" was the reason. I just took exception to her claiming it was a one time deal, like im putting them out. She thanked me for bringing this "new" policy to her attention as none of her reps knew about it. Was a bit of BS at this point, how can they not know?.

Anyhow, thanks again, that link just got me 24$ back. Should help on all the BF Best buy games im about to order :p
honestly majority of the time they don't know. A good majority don't even know what GCU is even after all this time. They don't train them and then with new season help they get even less training. More training will cost more $$ so most companies do least amount of training of employees and just hope for the best

honestly majority of the time they don't know. A good majority don't even know what GCU is even after all this time. They don't train them and then with new season help they get even less training. More training will cost more $$ so most companies do least amount of training of employees and just hope for the best
I suppose that's true. The seasonal hires we used to have back when i was a Gamestop manager were useless most of the time. Corporate didnt allocate enough hours in the schedule to train them adequately. I just makes the process take longer, having to ask for a supervisor most of the time when you have an issue. I stopped shopping at best buy entirely a few years ago due to lackluster customer service (tham and their credit card). I only started shopping there again due to GCU and the discounts being the best so far.

I picked it up earlier today at BB and I'm quite shocked how much fun it is. GHTV is a great idea and it's a lot of fun. Hope they keep adding songs to the catalog and I think $55.99 with GCU is well worth it.

Can't you play GHTV to earn more "credits" to play songs on demand? Reminds me of the slacker radio app w/ the skips.
I believe that is true, but they are a one shot deal using credits or real money. Gamespot's review goes into that aspect a bit more. I was heavily considering the game until I saw the review.

Awesome! This and Lego Dimensions were the two things I wanted most this black Friday, and thanks to Cartwheel and Toy Coupon got Lego for 55 at Target and went to BB used my Gamers Club +50 in reward certificates that were going to expire knocked GH:L down to $5.99 :)

$24.00 refund coming in.

I was actually regretting the Guitar Hero pre-order but for $55.99 + tax and getting a $10 reward cert back makes it worth it for me. 

I love Best Buy

I've been playing a bit of it and it's quite fun.

The only problem I'm having right now is that GHTV songs have a hum. At this point GHTV is unplayable for me. Don't know if it's because I'm using surround sound or what. My speakers and especially the powered subwoofer go bonkers. I've already tried clearing cache and uninstalling the game but no luck.

Anyone with this issue?

I believe that is true, but they are a one shot deal using credits or real money. Gamespot's review goes into that aspect a bit more. I was heavily considering the game until I saw the review.
You can. IT works out around every 3 songs you play, you get a token to pick one you want. Its really not bad at all. It looks terrible, especially when you see things like "unlock all songs for 24 hours for 25$" or other "features" they offer. But GHTV really isnt bad even without skips. I think after 2 hours of play, i have 40 song select tokens.

Thanks OP. In for one for the kiddos for Xmas. GCU and a 20 certificate made it to cheap to pass up. Just need a deal on a second guitar now.

I've been playing a bit of it and it's quite fun.

The only problem I'm having right now is that GHTV songs have a hum. At this point GHTV is unplayable for me. Don't know if it's because I'm using surround sound or what. My speakers and especially the powered subwoofer go bonkers. I've already tried clearing cache and uninstalling the game but no luck.

Anyone with this issue?
Ok I just found out my problem!

I have the PS4 camera hooked up and since it has a mic it was getting the sound amplified even more! I ended up unplugging it and problem solved!

So hope this might help someone out there.

Ok I just found out my problem!

I have the PS4 camera hooked up and since it has a mic it was getting the sound amplified even more! I ended up unplugging it and problem solved!

So hope this might help someone out there.
I remember having that issue with the PS3 and Rock Band 3. I forgot the PS3 Camera had a mic built in and it was causing the same problems with the USB Mic.

Just a heads up to those that do not want to wait for shipping. The sale price is also in stores. I was able to find one locally with the mic but when I was calling around checking availability I was told if they mic is not in stock you can still buy the game in store at the sale price and they order and ship the mic to you. 

Oof. Painful for us foolish 2-Pack buyers!
not me ha

Got a two pack from a CAG that I'm still waiting on. My plan was to sell a guitar/game to a friend and then pick it up on ps4 new at BB.

but yesterday I actually got a copy of the game for 9.75 xbone on ebay. Chepeast buy it now I saw was 30. So yea now I won't have it on ps4 like I prefered but will be saving about 50 bucks :D

Finally got GCU, and GH Live in store, the cashier guy looked like he ate 3 meals of shit a day. He couldn't even give me the mic or back order it for me, made up some excuse and told me to order it online with the mic, then return this one. Idk, I don't really care about the mic, but I hope he doesn't work on Black Friday or it's gonna be a loooooong line.

Finally got GCU, and GH Live in store, the cashier guy looked like he ate 3 meals of shit a day. He couldn't even give me the mic or back order it for me, made up some excuse and told me to order it online with the mic, then return this one. Idk, I don't really care about the mic, but I hope he doesn't work on Black Friday or it's gonna be a loooooong line.
Funny enough thats what the rep told me to pricematch, order another then return with the old receipt. such BS.

Funny enough thats what the rep told me to pricematch, order another then return with the old receipt. such BS.
Does your rep look like he eats methamphetamines for breakfast too? Anyway, at this point I might just send an email to customer support, and ask for a mic.

Does your rep look like he eats methamphetamines for breakfast too? Anyway, at this point I might just send an email to customer support, and ask for a mic.
Mine was via phone. Emailing them got a similar response of "no". They dont even know their own policy

I was able to get this in store with free mic and I used the coupon for free insignia portable bluetooth speaker (which is actually not bad)

I'm loving the game and new button layout controller so far!! 

Anyone know if there is a way to play singing only?    The game won't let you disconnect the guitar, and the track sounds awful if you just leave the guitar and aren't strumming

Hmmmm....... the addition of the mic has me interested. I don't really care for the "guitar-playing", since it's not really a guitar, but the singing is something I'm way more into. I just wish there was a better selection of songs.

I tried it out, pretty cool but it seems really basic. Does anyone else's strum bar seem to slide to the bottom of the guitar or do I have like a defective controller? Also, anyone know how to turn off the controller, or should I just disconnect the USB thing, then let the guitar idle? 

bread's done
Back