Guitar Hero: World Tour - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='bardockkun']Nope, doesn't work with Rock Band.[/quote]

fuck, that means I have to open the game effectively killing the resale.

I am pretty happy with my purchase of only buying the disc-only and using RB's and guitar hero III's instruments.

The interface is wonky though, and the notes (especially for multi-player) are really tiny, so sometimes its hard to tell on drums if two buttons are at the same time or slightly off. Star power is weird too.

I haven't tried all the other stuff like recording or making tracks, but I don't care that's just extra.

I do find the scrolling vocals better than Rock Band's.

[quote name='kevzik']Wow...

I had no idea GHWT would go down like this...

Glad I chose the RB route. Is the game alone worth getting? Hearing about load times scares me.[/QUOTE]

Be patient. RB was just like this a year ago.

[quote name='mykevermin']Be patient. RB was just like this a year ago.[/quote]
Yes, but RB I had fun out the box! Not groaning and pushing through songs and bitching about the drums and the interface and menus repeatedly...

Rock Band has spoiled us.

I just bought the game only. I really have no interest in drums or vocals. My wife will probably sing some but not a whole lot. I bought this as just another guitar hero game and so far I'm really enjoying it - I really like the song selection so far. I have RB 1 and just couldn't really get into it as a guitar only game - and right now that's really all I'm interested in but I may end up picked up RB 2 at some point because I'd love to play some Talking Heads.

[quote name='seanr1221']Its yellow and orange.[/quote]

I said with the RB drums. It is yellow and blue. I just wasn't getting good enough spacing with the songs I was playing to really have time to activate it during regular play. Once I got to "Freak on a Leash", there were more rests when I could hit it before jumping into the next section. It's still not a perfect system, but I do like being able to have control over it.

Yikes. No reply yet from the Live person thing. And the loop is still there at the end where it tells you to go to Activition's site. I have a feeling it will be a while before I am able to return this yellow pad.

Anybody got any favorable reply? Anybody actually able to exchange their broken item? I bought mine at Gamestop and they are not accepting returns. So, lucky me...

[quote name='Se7en69']Anybody got any favorable reply? Anybody actually able to exchange their broken item? I bought mine at Gamestop and they are not accepting returns. So, lucky me...[/quote]

I've not heard, and I filed for warranty yesterday. I'm in the same position with Gamestop, but if I don't hear from Activision/Red Octane soon, I'll be taking my set to Gamestop and demanding an exchange until they throw give it to me or throw me out. Let me know if anything goes anywhere with you.

[quote name='I_Am_ProZac']I've not heard, and I filed for warranty yesterday. I'm in the same position with Gamestop, but if I don't hear from Activision/Red Octane soon, I'll be taking my set to Gamestop and demanding an exchange until they throw give it to me or throw me out. Let me know if anything goes anywhere with you.[/quote]

I have heard back and this was their lovely reply after they asked for the serial number underneath one of my batteries -

"Please refer to Red Octane's site for hardware replacement/exchange information. Activision cannot provide any replacement equipment or software for this product.

Red Octane's Support page
http://www.redoctanegames.com/Warranty/
Once there please click on the appropriate warranty link based on where you purchased the game.

Please note that Red Octane will not do replacements for items that are out of warranty or that do not have a copy of the sales receipt."

I emailed them about the loop and how each site sends you back and forth between Activision's and Red Octane's. They said sorry. I just asked them again if Red Octane was doing returns/exchanges of defective items and reminded them about how both sites are on a loop...

I will continue to update... Hopefully with good news. I was so looking forward to these drums.

Edit - I was playing around the site and for certain items you can get an RMA. Game disc, foot pedal, drumsticks, microphone, the drum stand, and even the wireless guitar. Try clicking on any of the actual drum stuff like the main pads, yellow pad, or orange pad and you enter the loop. I was thinking of trying to enter information with one of these items, but sadly whatever you choose, you cannot take out. For example, I chose the foot pedal, but you cannot edit out "Foot Pedal." Was thinking of choosing that and then writing yellow pad, but no go.

I finally got the chance to play this after sitting on it for a night lol. Luckily the long trip helped me fall asleep because without it I bet I'd stay awake too exited. I really love the customization for the character, you see like Oblivion style customizations with Forza paint and tatto detailing. Played a few gigs and I'm really enjoying the game. I wasn't going to buy the guitar but I bit and it does feel a lot more sturdy and I like the added bigger strum bar, added star power button and smaller start buttons. It's kinda tricky to switch to the slider part of the neck so I'll have to get used to that. Also the new clear buttons is neat yet I wish you could play the drums with the controller or guitar buttons. As soon as the drums go on sale I'm buying them lol.

Just bought the guitar bundle. Guitar is absolutely amazing. It takes the best of the les paul, and mixes it with the best (heh) of the rb strat and creates an awesome super guitar.

Don't really want to open the game, but I have to to test if the touch pad works. After I do that, (and pooooooooooooooooooooooossibly play a few songs) is anyone interested in the game for 53 shipped?
(ps3 version, cross posting to make this easier.)

[quote name='DarthPuma']Just bought the guitar bundle. Guitar is absolutely amazing. It takes the best of the les paul, and mixes it with the best (heh) of the rb strat and creates an awesome super guitar.
[/quote]

Agreed. I will never touch another Strat again. I remember the pain of being a PS3 user and only having the Strat as an option. Hitting notes just seems easier with this strum bar. And I also like the fret buttons on the Guitar Hero World Tour guitar. They are extremely responsive. At least I have the guitar until I get this drum problem fixed.

Still no reply from Red Octane or Activition with my follow up.

GameCrazy has sent out a memo instructing not to return the sets and to tell customers to contact Activision and not return the bundles.. which makes sense to me. It'd be too big of a loss for the company to switch defective bundles out. That, and stores didn't get many beyond preorders anyway.

Okay so after spending a ton of time, the game is not as good as Rock Band, but the instruments are way better then Rock Band, but it is still a fun game and worth your time. I am not going to do a review because I am lazy, but I will to a Pro, Con List then a wrap up.

Instruments:

Pro
-Drums Feel Awesome ( They are way better and more responsive and stronger then the Rock Band Set.)
-Midi input so smart Rock band should have did this to begin with
-Very quiet I love how quiet it is very high quality they really feel like my Roland pads.

Con
-The Velocity thing doesn't really work. I believe it making a issue with the red button for people, because if you throw in rock band in my case works perfect and that goes for every button.

-The Pedal Sucks.

Pro
- The Guitar Feels really solid also prefer this over the Rock Band one, The Touch section is really fun and way easier to use then the Rock Band Button Frets.

Con
- The strum bar sucks to me I don't know what they are thinking, I prefer the Les Paul.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Game Its Self:

In A way this is all con, but I'll add some pro :)

Pro
-The Game is called Guitar Hero.
-The Set List are fun to play, Charts are just fun which is nice.
-Story/Script
-Online Play 4 VS 4
- The New Guitar Part things I have no idea what to call them are really cool addition. Like new chords they added and touch spots.
-The Drum long notes like the guitar is a nice little addition.

Con
-The Audio rate doesn't sound like its of a high quality.
-The Colors aren't as bright as Rock Band, They don't feel lively
-HMX doesn't make it.
-Menus seem messy and aren't easy to navigate
-When you miss a notes I really don't know I am missing the note, the new meter for you combo is in a bad place they should have left it the same GH3 one.

Neutral
-The Graphics, Animation they are just fine. I do like when you hit a symbol your drummer will repeat no matter what, but truth in these games I don't care all that much about graphics.

-Some of the animations are cool

-I like the venues(Especially the NYC one in Time Square)

Wrap up

-It really feels like they aren't going to continue the way RB is with Download content, Rb Feels Like a platform where this feels like a sequel will come out and my content wont transfer if I buy songs for that reason I don't know what my chances are of downloading songs.

-Rock Band Just feels like they put heart into the game and not money as much, they take risk I am not sure how to explain this exactly. HMX Gameplay seems more solid from the notes to how they have the crowd sing with you it feels like home and the true foundation. Where Neversoft seems really like the Call of Duty at world at war and HMX is COD4 they build the foundation and other team uses there engine to copy, but just not quite as good.

So I agree with ign how they gave it a 7.8 I would have gave it an 8 though and RB a 9. I think if HMX was still with Red Octane we would have a perfect 10 game. That split and now with these new instruments prove they should have never split up who ever decided how that worked is crazy.Also one last thing I think GH can fix a lot of issues with a patch for even a better experience with the game. Overall I still love the game and any music game is fun to me I just to switch between rockband and GH to play a song I want. If I was to get one I wouldn't I would get Rock Band Standalone wait for some GH instruments.

I know there is probably mistakes in here and people don't agree probably, but this my opinion there is more issues I am sure of people have and I might have also, but I forgot.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, now I'm kind of regretting getting the guitar only bundle and picking up the RB drums in a couple days. Did I make the right choice or what?

[quote name='DarthPuma']So, now I'm kind of regretting getting the guitar only bundle and picking up the RB drums in a couple days. Did I make the right choice or what?[/QUOTE]

That's the best possible combination you could do. Nothing to regret.

And for the guys that say the audio sucks.. you DID go into the options and turn on the dolby digital surround sound, right? Rock Band was the same way, it sounded like crap. You'd think DD would be on by defaullt.

[quote name='DarthPuma']So, now I'm kind of regretting getting the guitar only bundle and picking up the RB drums in a couple days. Did I make the right choice or what?[/quote]
Those drums are lesser of two evils, so I'll second the consensus so far and say you have nothing to worry over. I'd do the same if I had the cash right now as well.

[quote name='Trakan']Can someone explain this touch pad more on the new guitar?

Does it work in Rock Band?[/quote]
The touch pad works only in Guitar Hero: World Tour. It basically works the same way as the smaller frets on the Strat for the solo portions (but they come in as purple linked notes that you can also just HOPO on the normal notes if you want). Though besides that, on long notes it can be used as basically a whammy as well.

The touch pad does jack shit in Rock Band 2 as a heads up.

[quote name='Scorch']That's the best possible combination you could do. Nothing to regret.

And for the guys that say the audio sucks.. you DID go into the options and turn on the dolby digital surround sound, right? Rock Band was the same way, it sounded like crap. You'd think DD would be on by defaullt.[/quote]

Thanks. I thought it was, just needed to be sure. Now I just have to pray that World tour gets patched for cymbal support.

As someone who mainly plays guitar in the games, I'm loving world tour. Rock Band is going to stay the party game, but World Tour is great for when I'm by myself and just want to play some tough songs.

The interpol song sucks ass though. I much prefer the one in RB2.

Since Sublime is in this, and the mighty mighty bosstones are in RB2, I think we're going to start seeing some ska dlc. :D

Wait did GS warn they wouldnt return it? i knwo they are shady but there has to be a law if they dont tell you you cant return a product before you buy it.

Is there not a huge piece of paper in the GH:WT band bundle that says instrument repairs must be done through Activision? They did this for Rock Band.

[quote name='Scorch']Is there not a huge piece of paper in the GH:WT band bundle that says instrument repairs must be done through Activision? They did this for Rock Band.[/quote]

Actually, no.

Just purchased the Tool gig, was pretty sweet but man long songs. I lost some chains because I just didn't have the endurance. Maybe should have tried just doing one of the songs at a time haha.

I just played and realized that the way to go (for me) is with the les paul. It was a lot more fun. I'll return the guitar/game combo and just get the game (and cod4).

I have been trying to find a solution to my Guitar Hero World Tour drums and came upon this - http://community.guitarhero.com/forums/14/forum_topics/131655

People are reporting the tape thing works! Are any of you guys with drum troubles going to try this?

I am tempted to try it, but I got a reply today from Activition by the same guy as before. He asked for my mailing address and after I gave it to him, he said that my issue was escalated... Whatever that means in Activition's world.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Since Sublime is in this, and the mighty mighty bosstones are in RB2, I think we're going to start seeing some ska dlc. :D[/quote]

I pray to the music God's daily for this.

When we finally unlocked Where Did You Go I shoved our singer out of the way and stole the mic :bouncy:

Picked up my guitar kit last night and the strum only works going up and not down. I am returning this piece

[quote name='Wblaze']Picked up my guitar kit last night and the strum only works going up and not down. I am returning this piece[/QUOTE]

It seriously ruins the whole experience. If you have it, try a different guitar. The game is a lot more fun when you're using a controller that actually works (what a strange thought, eh?).

[quote name='nonrandomhero']Do GH drums and mic work with RB and RB2?
if so i may buy RB2[/quote]
Mic, yes. Drums, yes, if you're not on PS3 (supposedly PS3 will be getting a patch though).

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']It seriously ruins the whole experience. If you have it, try a different guitar. The game is a lot more fun when you're using a controller that actually works (what a strange thought, eh?).[/quote]

Too bad. Mine works beautifully, and it's by far the best GH guitar of them all, RB guitars included.

[quote name='I_Am_ProZac']Mic, yes. Drums, yes, if you're not on PS3 (supposedly PS3 will be getting a patch though).[/quote]

thanks. i am on the 360.

i find my guitar works great, its by far the best controller ive ever use in any game.

and my drums have no sensitivity issues at all..... i just suck at drums lol

Got my band kit today. Played it for about an hour or so. Right off the bat I was happy to have the sunburst guitar. I heard people saying the sunburst
was a standalone guitar you had to buy separately. The down stroke does not seem to be working correctly, it's a little off. Kinda sucks as I'm a
thumb playing downstroker.

The drums are nice and quiet which is nice. My yellow cymbal sucks donkey balls and barely works. But over at the Guitar Hero forums they
are releasing a drum tuning sensitivity kit for free to adjust the sensitivity of the pads. Something you run on the computer and manually adjust
the numbers. I'm hoping it works.

The kick pedal sucks badly. I gotta go to work soon so I can't try it yet, but I'm hoping I can use my RB pedal with this set.

The difficulty of the songs seems a tad harder then RB as I assumed it would be. Just gonna take some time getting used to it, well once I get
my cymbal working right.

Still need more time to go through everything to get a better feel of the game, but it's got potential.

Well after days of reading how bad a lot of people are bashing GH:WT, I finally have to say something. Guitar hero WT DESTROYS Rock Band 1 and 2 about 80% of the time. Sure it has its problems, but what doesnt.

The guitar? Awesome to play by yourself or with a band. The drums? Way better than Rock Band. The mic is just as good if not better, but its just a mic. The songs are great and DLC will make them even better.

Guitar hero is fun whether you are playing alone or with someone. The guitar is the best part of the game, hence the title. It is fun AND challenging. Rock band is fun, no doubt, but the guitar is easy and sucks when you play by yourself (not to mention the strato-whatever sucks a$$.) Everyone that says GH sucks because it is hard, maybe you should practice...

[quote name='crave132']Well after days of reading how bad a lot of people are bashing GH:WT, I finally have to say something. Guitar hero WT DESTROYS Rock Band 1 and 2 about 80% of the time. Sure it has its problems, but what doesnt.

The guitar? Awesome to play by yourself or with a band. The drums? Way better than Rock Band. The mic is just as good if not better, but its just a mic. The songs are great and DLC will make them even better.

Guitar hero is fun whether you are playing alone or with someone. The guitar is the best part of the game, hence the title. It is fun AND challenging. Rock band is fun, no doubt, but the guitar is easy and sucks when you play by yourself (not to mention the strato-whatever sucks a$$.) Everyone that says GH sucks because it is hard, maybe you should practice...[/QUOTE]

GH is easier because of the way the notes are designed to be hit. They have a longer time window in which they can be activated. RB is more challenging on the harder songs by a mile.

Wow just fooled around in the music studio and after a 30 minutes I finally got the hang of it. This is really cool, I could loose myself in here for hours but the cooler thing is being able to download other people's creations. They have an appregiator which generates patterned notes, was playing around with that before I made a song. Is more like a toy than a game in the sense of the music studio lol. I make music with Acid Pro 6 so I'm probably the minority of the GH crowd that enjoys this feature. You can also live record if say you were jaming with your buddies which is way cool.

[quote name='DualDisorder']Got my band kit today. Played it for about an hour or so. Right off the bat I was happy to have the sunburst guitar. I heard people saying the sunburst
was a standalone guitar you had to buy separately.

The drums are nice and quiet which is nice. My yellow cymbal sucks donkey balls and barely works.

The kick pedal sucks badly. I gotta go to work soon so I can't try it yet, but I'm hoping I can use my RB pedal with this set.
[/quote]

About the guitar. That is only with Rock Band 2 bundles. Everyone was expecting to get sunburst guitars as those were the ones they were advertising all the time. You only get the sunburst if you buy the standalone. If you buy the bundle, you get one that looks just like the original Rock Band guitar, except with it's new features. This has really pissed people off.

You and I are in the same boat with a broken yellow cymbal. Here is a temporary fix - http://community.guitarhero.com/forums/14/forum_topics/131655

I have heard that the Rock Band kick pedal is not compatible in World Tour. But that may just be the PS3?

I am still in the process of trying to get a replacement yellow cymbal from Activition.

Is the Strum Bar supposed to be really loose on the WT guitar? There is little bit of a dead zone when downstrumming. I can move the strum bar around in the hole it's in, and it presses in like an analog stick. Plays fine, so I'm probably just being paranoid.

[quote name='DarthPuma']Is the Strum Bar supposed to be really loose on the WT guitar? There is little bit of a dead zone when downstrumming. I can move the strum bar around in the hole it's in, and it presses in like an analog stick. Plays fine, so I'm probably just being paranoid.[/quote]

Compared to the Rock Band guitar? I do not feel it is loose at all. It really feels great and I can actually hit notes on faster strums, which for some odd reason, I just could not do with the original Rock Band guitar. My only other guitar has been the X-plorer on the 360 and I loved that one, as well. This one feels like more like that one, except the strum bar is probably not as rigid. I think believe there is a slight space compared to the X-plorer.

Sadly, I no longer have the X-plorer to test. I am going by memory.

bread's done
Back