Guitar Hero: World Tour - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='seanr1221']Does it only help the cymbals, or can it help people who are experiencing missed notes with the 3 big pads?[/quote]

All of them. The three pads and the cymbals. You can move up or down the sensitivity for each.

[quote name='Se7en69']Well, as promised, here is an update on my yellow cymbal. Today I received the Midi/USB connector in the form of FedEx. The thing has Red Octane written on it and looks like something they had planned all along. Was this supposed to ship in the bundle at the last minute, yet maybe, it was something they couldn't do fast enough?

The instructions that come with it are wicked small. Almost need a magnifying glass to read. And the connector itself is extremely short. I basically had to drag my drums over and move a few things around just so I could connect it to the computer. Anyways, I do as the instructions say and everything is in working order now. My yellow cymbal works. Hopefully this resolves anyones problems with the drums. But boy is that connector short.

Just in case anyone wants to know the instructions-
Download and install the Drum Controller software from Activition.
Connect the Midi Kit on your drums to your computer. Turn on your gaming system with the drum controller attached. Go into Guitar Hero Tunes and basically act like you are recording a song.
Go to your computer and open the Drum Controller software and adjust the settings under USB until your pads work. They are all on 10 by default and the maximum you can go is 20.[/quote]

That's good news, I'll consider getting the drums in the future now.:bouncy:

I just want to confirm something about Rock band's instruments on GHWT. I have all the instruments from RB1, will they work with GHWT? Especially the drum part lol?

[quote name='luan87us']I just want to confirm something about Rock band's instruments on GHWT. I have all the instruments from RB1, will they work with GHWT? Especially the drum part lol?[/quote]

Yep.

[quote name='Se7en69']All of them. The three pads and the cymbals. You can move up or down the sensitivity for each.[/quote]

Sounds good, usually a USB to MIDI cable costs around $20-30, I need one for my electronic music equipment.

Just a note; the new guitar doesn't just click, rather it effin squeeks. And it's annoying as all hell.

Just a heads-up for all you pro-clicky guys.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']Just a note; the new guitar doesn't just click, rather it effin squeeks. And it's annoying as all hell.

Just a heads-up for all you pro-clicky guys.[/quote]
I had this problem too. Just a little bit of WD-40 on the sides of the strum bar fixed it. Just apply and strum a good number of times to work it in. No more squeak.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. I got my GH:WT guitar bundle today from YF360G and the up strum is broken. And RedOctane's warranty site is down.

fucking ridiculous.

Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard, noted during today's quarterly earnings conference call that the publisher may begin charging for user-generated songs uploaded through Guitar Hero World Tour's GH Tunes service. Kotick has previously stated that GH Tunes has the "potential" to be one of the "credible alternatives to iTunes."
http://kotaku.com/5077581/activisio...for-guitar-hero-world-tour-user+created-songs

Has he seen the amount of shit songs on GHTunes? How does that warrant even the thought of charging any kind of money for that shit?

Hilarious if so, as I was just thinking about how neat the GHTunes service was after playing the Cerulean City song. It's a great service when free. Charging for it would take away the one and only thing I feel the GH software has over the RB software.

lol, so far my time spent with GH Tunes has been entertaining for all the wrong reasons. I hope they never change it. Except for the interface, which is terrible (they dump you back to the home screen after you do ANYTHING).

[quote name='bardockkun']http://kotaku.com/5077581/activisio...for-guitar-hero-world-tour-user+created-songs

Has he seen the amount of shit songs on GHTunes? How does that warrant even the thought of charging any kind of money for that shit?[/quote]
LOL delusions of grandeur.

What they needed to do was make a proper PC/Mac program that had a ton of samples and import the songs from there. Let users vote on quality and kick the crap to the curb. At that point they could justify charging people money for it, but only if the artists got paid. As it stands, MIDI diddlies aren't worth squat.

i got my drum tuning kit today. which is a usb midi cable. hooked up the drums to my computer, turned the red pad sensitivity all the up. barely registers still. so now i get to email red octane and get my whole drum set replaced. it took 4 days for the cable to get here, i wonder how long ill be with out drums.

update, i filed for an rma on the website to return my drums, not nowing what would happen of course. anyway, they gave me a number and say i have to ship it to them, with insurance and tracking. so im going to give them a call and give them hell. theres no way im going to pay for the shipping for their defective product, they sure as hell better send me out a drum coffin.

Got this from GF today.

Played some songs on drums. They amend for the RB drumkit nicely.

Unfortunately, Overkill was charted in a horribly boring way and is no fun to play. And "On the Road Again" is hands down the least fun thing on the face of the earth to play. Someone is a bastard for charting that the way they did. What a fuckin' bore.

The songs I've played, though, are overall fun. Dunno if I'll keep it or not from GF, but I don't get the same feeling I do when playing RB. Activating star power on drums was the result of a fuckin' mongoloid. What a stupid fuckin' idea.

Wait, Ramstoria, you filed an RMA and got a response a day later? I'm still waiting for a response to an RMA I submitted three days ago for my busted guitar. I'll probably send them an email tonight.

[quote name='Rocko']Wait, Ramstoria, you filed an RMA and got a response a day later? I'm still waiting for a response to an RMA I submitted three days ago for my busted guitar. I'll probably send them an email tonight.[/QUOTE]

they sent me an email within minutes with the address and my rma number. not much of a response, i havent had time to call about getting a box for shipping the drums. their business hours are while i work, so of course its a pain to call, im going to have to spend my whole lunch on monday fighting with them on the phone.

so i found a temporary fix, its not perfect, but itll get me by while i figure what to do about the rma thing. my friend let me borrow some heavier drum sticks (hes a drummer, obviously) and it works much better. but thats only after using the tuning kit to crank the red one all the way up, and even then its not 100%. but its gone from about 10% to 60-70% for hits and we dont fail out on songs on medium anymore. hard might be another story, but at least this can hold us over until while i try and convince red octane to pay for the rma shipping.

down strumming on my guitar stopped working...so i returned it, i have no interest in dealing with the hassle of trying to get a new one through red octane

hmm so i work a few hors from home so i often stay out of town for a week or so for work then come home on weekends.... well i came home and now my red drum seems to be fucked. nobody played it while i was gone and when i went away i had a perfectly fine set...

it seems that the red drum is so sensitive now that it goes off evertime i hit anything... its not crosstalk, i unplugged the cymbal and hit it and red still goes off. its really messed up.

This is a repost of what someone said over at the official xbox forums. I think fixing it yourself would be the best bet but that will blow your warranty though.
As an update, after not receiving any response from Red Octane on the midi-cord. I eventually broke down and took my drum kit completely apart. I found the culprit of the entire sensitivity issue to be reflective of the fact that one of the wires that was to be soldered to the sensor was loose. If I adjusted it slightly I could get the red pad to register. I ended up peeling the silicone glue off and resoldering the wire securely. Im not quite sure how the midi-cord would have fixed this issue and I'm glad I took the intiative to explore it a little deeper. My drum pad works like a charm now, but Im disappointed that I actually had to take the kit apart and resolder a wire myself, as I know most people would not have taken these steps. Ironically, this morning I recieved an email from a customer support representative informing me that my midi-cord would be arriving the week of 11/10. Too little too late.

[quote name='dkreegz515']so... the guitars are acting funny??? i was going to maybe get that redoctain deal and get 2 guitars. do you think its worth it if the guitars aren't reliable?[/quote]The two guitars in the $60 deal are the X Plorer guitars from GH2, which are considered the best/ most reliable, but they don't have some of the new features like the touch neck. I think it is definitely worth $60 for 2 good guitars and a brand new game, so I picked it up.

when you enter the unlock all songs code for quickplay, I cant seem to find all the unlocked songs, what am I doing wrong?

Once you've entered the cheat, you have to actually enable it. In the cheat menu, just scroll down a little bit and you'll see the option to enable it. Stupid, yes, but I guess it takes out the work of having to entering it more then once.

i returned my game to walmart tonight and got a new one. no hassles with the exchange. the band kit i got today was packed different from my launch box. so im thinking (hoping) it was a later production run. so far so good, drums work great, no problems with the guitar either. guess well wait and see in a week or so though.

My son has been playing this to the exclusion of Rock Band, but strangely enough he seems to have lost interest in the drums (so now both sets are sitting in my office :roll:).

Tonight I played with him a bit and one thing this game does have over Rock Band are the (occasionally) awesome cameos and (occasionally) out of left field animations. During one of our sets tonight it was fucking awesome when Jimi Hendrix came in and booted my son's character off lead guitar. Then my bass player smashed a beach ball into the AT&T Park outfield taking out some lights. That was rather unexpected and pretty cool. Having Hendrix in there was something I didn't even know about and it was a nice surprise - it somewhat makes up for them having that p.o.s. Nugent in the game ;).

Yea the end animations for each gig are entertaining and sometimes far fetched, ok let's play our last song in a burning college room, lol. Is any retailer selling just the drums yet, I wish I could get the drums for Christmas.

I've played "Today" as Billy Corgan and "Misery Business" as Hayley Williams and didn't unlock either achievement. What gives?

Other than that, I'm enjoying this game. The guitar charts are inferior to Rock Band in general, especially in the songs that the 2 games share, but it's a good game.

[quote name='Matt Young']I've played "Today" as Billy Corgan and "Misery Business" as Hayley Williams and didn't unlock either achievement. What gives?

Other than that, I'm enjoying this game. The guitar charts are inferior to Rock Band in general, especially in the songs that the 2 games share, but it's a good game.[/quote]

Just got the bundle today and the drums are great, even though the cymbals are a little louder than the other pads.

I should have noted that I am playing with the Guitar Hero II and III guitars, and using the Rock Band 1 mic and drums, though I have only played one song each on vocals and drums for the achievements.

wow... this thread fell all the way to the 4th page. well guitar hero finally has some dlc, id like to see them keep up with rock band with unique content to take my money.

"The Turning" Oasis
"I'm Outta Time" Oasis
"(Get Off Your) High Horse Lady" Oasis
"Falling Down" Oasis
"To Be Where There's Life" Oasis
"Ain't Got Nothin'" Oasis
"Nature of Reality" "The Nature of Reality" Oasis
"Soldier On" Oasis
"Jimi" Slightly Stoopid
"Your Face" Pepper
"Sacrifice" Expendables
"Frail Grasp On The Big Picture" Eagles
"Life in the Fast Lane" Eagles
"One of These Nights" Eagles
"You Know You're Right" Nirvana
"Sliver" Nirvana
"Negative Creep" Nirvana
"G.L.O.W." Smashing Pumpkins
"1979" Smashing Pumpkins
"Everlasting Gaze"Smashing Pumpkins

Yea I read the new DLC on the marketplace thread and why would you want more DLC. Really if you think about it it's better to grab a whole new game with the new track list because those prices drop more than the digital ones if they do have a price reduction (I just grabbed GH Aerosmith for 20 bucks with discounts from Gamefly). I bought the Metallica albulm only to have it go on sale like 2 weeks after I purchased mine, got the Jemi Hendrix track pack which are neat songs and it's cool you can finally play Jemi Hendrix but were a bit boring at parts. I'll probably pick up the Smashing Pumpkins pack.

My drums are doing fine. I got that MIDI USB thing from Red Octane, adjusted a few of the pads I thought were off, now it works like a charm. I think the key is you don't need to kill the drum pads to get them to register.

[quote name='primetime']How are everyone's drums holding up?[/QUOTE]

my 2nd drums are going strong still. havent had to use the tuning kit on them either.

I just played the OXM demo of this game awhile ago and the only way you can play the demo without a guitar controller is to use your headset for the singing. Wow I didn't know you could do that? I don't get the singing though as I failed every time lol, maybe that's why you buy the microphone. I want just the drums now but I'm broke since I just grabbed GH2 and a guitar for 20 bucks. ^ ^

I've really been enjoying this so far. I jumped on the GH:WT and the GH3 with the two guitars bundle that red octane had running. Plug in a mic left over from Karaoke Rev on PS2 and I just need drums.

Anyone hear anything about them selling them independently? I know I can get the RB2 drums, but $90 is a bit steep for a grad student such as myself.

[quote name='Luftwaffles08']I've really been enjoying this so far. I jumped on the GH:WT and the GH3 with the two guitars bundle that red octane had running. Plug in a mic left over from Karaoke Rev on PS2 and I just need drums.

Anyone hear anything about them selling them independently? I know I can get the RB2 drums, but $90 is a bit steep for a grad student such as myself.[/quote]
Probably after x-mas, though I imagine it'll cost about the same as the RB2 drums. If anything maybe able to find RB1 drums for cheap and use those ones instead if you're on a budget.

This game is so disappointing and lacking in fun, I haven't even tried the Hendrix pack that I bought yet.
And I am a HUGE Hendrix (and Mitch Mitchell) fan. Makes me sad, especially since my buddy worked on the game :(

I just started this week and have been enjoying it somewhat. I'm enjoying the big name artists, but I've got to a point where I have about 4 gigs open and none of the songs in any of them sound appealing. I might have to put the cheat in just to play Dream Theater.

I didn't think that I would pick up much DLC for Guitar Hero, but I'm grabbing 1979 at the very least and will probably grab a few more songs. Cool stuff.

How do I activate star power in Guitar Hero using Rock Band drums? I can't figure this crap out. It doesn't matter much right now since my kick pedal snapped, but I'm going to try and get a new one soon.

[quote name='sj41']How do I activate star power in Guitar Hero using Rock Band drums? I can't figure this crap out. It doesn't matter much right now since my kick pedal snapped, but I'm going to try and get a new one soon.[/QUOTE]Hit the two drum pads in the middle (yellow and blue). You can activate it at any point in the song (which usually ends up being kinda awkward, unless you deliberately miss a charted note when you activate).

[quote name='Corvin']I just started this week and have been enjoying it somewhat. I'm enjoying the big name artists, but I've got to a point where I have about 4 gigs open and none of the songs in any of them sound appealing. I might have to put the cheat in just to play Dream Theater.[/QUOTE]

This is the biggest drag of the game. I hate playing these 5 song set lists of songs I don't give a shit about. 3 song sets are ok, but 5 where I can't pick anything stinks.

[quote name='munch']This is the biggest drag of the game. I hate playing these 5 song set lists of songs I don't give a shit about. 3 song sets are ok, but 5 where I can't pick anything stinks.[/QUOTE]

It's not any different than GHIII or RB1, we've all just been spoiled by RB2. :lol: Anyway I slogged through those sets this weekend and got to Hot for Teacher and Pull Me Under. Well worth it. Pull Me Under is probably my favorite song in the game to play. Of course, DT being my favorite band helps. It's a helluva lot more fun to play than Constant Motion & Panic Attack in RB.

Final thoughts: after playing so much RB2, it was a rough transition back to GH. Once I got going though, it's still a decent series. A few things I enjoy over RB: The character creator is 10x better and GH still blows away RB in regards to stat tracking. Really, there is no comparison. HMX needs to get on that Star patch, I really don't want to wait until RB3 hits. On the flip side, I hate not being able to see my stars on screen during the song as I earn them. Another cool feature is leaderboards. Being able to check your friends list after every song to see where your score ranks is great. Something else I love way more than RB are the venues. They just seem to be way more creative and 'out there.' Gigs like the aircraft carrier, House of Blues & Times Square are awesome. Rock Band's seem to be very run of the mill and largely forgettable.

As for tunes, I enjoyed the 'highs' of this setlist (Eagles, Doors, Nugent, Tool, Jackson, Sublime, Wings, Seger, Willie Nelson, Hendrix, Satriani, Van Halen & CCR) far more than RB2. Unfortunately the lows are terrible, when the lows of RB2 are at least tolerable.

All things considered, it's a great way to play these great artists, but since they were late to the DLC bandwagon, I have too much invested in RB to blow a bunch on GH DLC. I want to get Blind Melon, some Nirvana & Smashing Pumkins, but I think I'm going to wait it out and see if they hit RB.

bread's done
Back