Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='BackInBlack']I have CAG Halo as well as a friend, but is everyone on that list active/want to actually play firefight with CAGs? I feel like a FireFight thread could be launched to see if there is enough of a following to justify a "CAG FIREFIGHT", as i don't want to harass gamers on CAG Halo. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]I just found out about Firefight not having any sort of matchmaking:bomb:. I assumed that there would be out of common sense, but I guess that's not the case here. I love playing Horde on Gears 2 (even now), but I'm kind of on the fence about picking this game up since there's no matchmaking for Firefight.

I'd be interested as well to see if we can get a good pool of CAGs to play Firefight on a daily basis before I make my purchase, since most people I know personally don't like/play Halo.

I was all caught up on the basic H3 achievements but I dont have any of the newer ones. I am game for working with people to get that one achievements for finishing the game in ghosts. Message me, I want to get Recon Armor.

Haven't been following the game much at all, but why exactly is there no matchmaking system? Seems like a pretty stupid move on their part.

Anyway, pre-ordered today on a chance and should be picking it up tonight.

Man, I can't play firefight til tomorrow since my new mic didn't come and i'd be totally useless without communications. Looks like it campaign tonite :cry:

Ok everyone, i created "CAG FireFight" I'll be able to check the tag at noon time tomorrow and then earlier that evening. I guess i'll create a thread now.

Stoked!

Ooopps answer to my question in previous page. It a bad time to be moving no internet for my 360 for at least another month

Definitely cool to be hearing Baldwin and Fillion together again. They didn't do a very good job making Fillion's character look like him though. Well I mean you could tell it was supposed to be him, but it didn't look that good in my opinion. Didn't get a good look at the character model for Baldwin though. I've seen listed in places that Tudyk is in the game too, but I haven't come across him, of course I just started the game too.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Seems like way too much work for that damn Recon armor.

If anything, they should've made the prize the damn flaming helmet.

Those vidmaster achievements are no joke.[/QUOTE]

The flaming helmet you speak of is actually a flaming armor.
The armor will make any head flaming.

I'll be heading to Gamestop in a few hours for the midnight release.

Also if anyone doesn't get their Sgt. Johnson code. They have pre-order cases at Best Buy that have the code in them. You maybe too late to pre-order but they might let you get a case with the code in it.

i would be up for a CAG firefight when i get the game. I tried best buy for those codes and they had just gotten rid of them :(

Enjoyed what I played of campaign tonight, firefight is going to be very good as well, can't wait to get further in the campaign tomorrow and there's definitely a different style of play with the ODSTs

Side note: As I picked the game up at 12, I walked in stood in line for less than a minute at GS then the employee asked for my receipt which I didn't have but it took him literally 30 secs or less to get my info and give me the game. As he was looking up the info he says, "Man you should have come earlier and listened to what we said about the receipts you held up the line."... there was one person behind me and he didn't even have the game reserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loving it so far. Played a lot of the campaign on co-op.
Cant see how to get setup for Reach. I see a little flier in the box but no code or anything on it.

Just sent a FR to CAG Firefight. I will be on later tonight.

Does anyone know if you preordered online at BestBuy if you will get the sgt. Johnson code in an email or if you get it when you pick up the game? I have a feeling with over 1.2 million preorders I will not be using Johnson since pretty much everyone and their mom will have him.

Edit: Make that 1.35 Million http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5257

Played through the first checkpoint achievement last night (while racking up a few 5-point achievements along the way). I think this game is about as solid as they come so far.

Love:
Pistol strength (seriously, you can snipe grunts with this thing)
The day-glow visor (but ONLY in low-light conditions)
The emphasis on actually examining your surroundings
The diverse score
The variety of achievements

Not fond of:
Low-stamina red fringing
Lack of radar
Stupid-looking health packs
Weak-ass shields

[quote name='M1C13']Just sent a FR to CAG Firefight. I will be on later tonight.

Does anyone know if you preordered online at BestBuy if you will get the sgt. Johnson code in an email or if you get it when you pick up the game? I have a feeling with over 1.2 million preorders I will not be using Johnson since pretty much everyone and their mom will have him.

Edit: Make that 1.35 Million http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5257[/QUOTE]

I ordered online and am having it shipped to me. I just got my code via email for Sgt. Johnson a few minutes ago and redeemed it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']So what did GS and Best Buy have for the midnight folks?[/QUOTE]

BB out here had neon green "Halo ODST" wristbands similar to the CAG wristbands that were given out a few years ago. There were gray firefight/skull T-Shirts and mini glow in the dark frisbees. They also gave everyone a $10 gift card for purchasing the game, but that could have been in the weekly ad, not sure. Either way there is a Gamer's Club coupon for a $10 gift card you can use that you can print off their website.

GS had Dunkin Donuts, but apparently no codes for Sgt. Johnson since nobody in line was getting them.

I like the game a lot so far, it has a very different vibe.

Just got my BB code for Srgt. Johnson. Excited. Again I ask if someone wants to work on Recon Achievements hit me up. I stayed home from work today.

Just to be clear there was nothing really in the box for the Reach beta right? I got the flier but there is no code on it.

Why is it preorder codes are always such a clusterfuck?

Edit-- Not 2 minutes after I posted that a code shows up from Best Buy via email.

anyone know if halo3 odst is like halo3 where its better to play it off the disc? same with the multiplayer disc? just wondering if installing it to the hard drive is even worth doing?

Reach(Beta) will just use the ODST disc, not a code - That way people don't trade the game in and use the code. Pretty sneaky, sis.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='lt_homer']anyone know if halo3 odst is like halo3 where its better to play it off the disc? same with the multiplayer disc? just wondering if installing it to the hard drive is even worth doing?[/QUOTE]

I believe Bungie said it was fine to install the ODST disc, but not the Halo 3 MP disc.

[quote name='Link127']also no Johnson code at my TRU[/QUOTE]
How is the action figure though?

is anyone planning on never using their 2nd disc because they have Halo 3 and all the maps? i'd be interested in buying one.

[quote name='M1C13']How is the action figure though?[/QUOTE]

did not get one. they literally only hand out a couple. i was like 10th in line. i would have definitely got one but had to trade a game in first to put towards ODST.
:bomb:

[quote name='AshesofWake']is it just me or is this game basically just Halo 3 with less health?[/QUOTE]

I thought the Rookie sections of the game played considerably different. I pretty much avoided fights with the Covenant whenever I could and tried to stealth my way through the hub.

Also the missions when you play as the other members of your ODST group felt different as well. I felt a lot weaker, and when you face off against 2 Hunters its much more of a challenge than Hunters have ever been in any Halo game.

[quote name='AshesofWake']is it just me or is this game basically just Halo 3 with less health?[/QUOTE]

Actually it's basically the original Halo with a different protagonist. Health packs, zooming pistol, and damage when you fall from certain heights are all lifted from the first game.

[quote name='hufferstl']Vega - the ODST disc has 3 maps that you can't download.[/QUOTE]

yeah I know, but I'm sure there is someone who doesn't play a lot online and wouldn't mind getting 33% cash back of what they just paid to buy the game.

I never once played campaign the 2 years I had Halo 3... my guess is that there are some people who are the exact opposite.

Man that first section of single player once you get on the ground is overly dark, even with that visor thing turned on.

Its pretty slow thus far, but Ive only just gotten to the first beacon, so its hard to judge it whatsoever.

[quote name='Link127']did not get one. they literally only hand out a couple. i was like 10th in line. i would have definitely got one but had to trade a game in first to put towards ODST.
:bomb:[/QUOTE]

i went in an hour after they opened and the guy said they only got 6 in
it would've been nice to have but i mainly got it at tru cuz i got ridiculous value for 6 games i traded in and i got $20 back :bouncy:

Anyone know how GS handles trade in on two disc sets like Halo ODST? IE can I trade in just the campaign disc and if so do I get full credit? (Like with some special editions you don't have to trade in the extra content disc just the game disc)

bread's done
Back