Halo 5 10/27 and MCC Thread

Had those cards not long ago $20 for a $30 Xbox card, at that rate I believe that's more than 20% off since it would be $40 for $60 in credit.
Not what I meant. I was hoping Microsoft would sell like a CARD with a code that was ONLY good for Halo (or insert game here) and then Best Buy would sell that game for 20% discount with Gamers Club unlocked. They do not discount XBOX LIVE cards.

I personally can't wait to play the crap out of Halo 2 Big Team Battle. Headlong, Waterworks, Relic, Terminal, Zanzibar. It's really going to be ridiculous!

I just pray to god it's not an achievement, that'd just be brutal.
If they do it, at least the Grunt Funeral (Best Buy) or Bandana skulls (Gamestop) would help. Lame that they're preorder items, but still. Pinata skull (Amazon) probably wouldn't help nearly as much.

If they do it, at least the Grunt Funeral (Best Buy) or Bandana skulls (Gamestop) would help. Lame that they're preorder items, but still. Pinata skull (Amazon) probably wouldn't help nearly as much.
Fine print says all skulls will eventually be unlocked for all players at some point in the future so there's that (no word on whether you have to pay for them though....). The curious part is whether achievements are still obtainable with the bandana skull. Seems like that would make things too easy on Legendary. Just pick your favorite/best guns and go to town.

Fine print says all skulls will eventually be unlocked for all players at some point in the future so there's that (no word on whether you have to pay for them though....). The curious part is whether achievements are still obtainable with the bandana skull. Seems like that would make things too easy on Legendary. Just pick your favorite/best guns and go to town.
I don't see why it would. Halo CEA had the bandana skull also and it didn't disable achievements. I'm sure the same will be for the collection as well. Also, I watched that RTX panel and they sure are hyping up the use of skulls. I would imagine LASO is going to be some kind of achievement. Its going to be fun running around again with infinite ammo and grenades.

Pretty sure it needs to be November 11th already so I can stop walking around with a nostalgia boner whenever I think of it.

So many feels watching that cinematic trailer.

Halo 2 ranking system confirmed to be back :)
Wait, the stupid level system? For the first year the game came out nobody could get higher than the mid twenties due to stand byers and glitchers.

I'm excited for the MCC for the variety of the multiplayer and all 4 games in one. Halo 2 is still playable online easily on XLink with tons of players for one. More importantly, I was a diehard Halo CE player and played competitively. I played Halo 2 for a while, but quit due to it ultimately being largely inferior to Halo CE (single and multi).

That ending was horrendous. Campaign was mediocre. The multiplayer was broken as shit for the first year it was out (I heard later many things were patched).

But man, I am excited for this package. I love that Bungie.net still has my Halo 2 stats and matches on it. Maybe I'll call in sick for work with a few friends and co-op from 1-4.

[quote name="RBK" post="12015767" timestamp="1408282372"]I can never understand the love of Halo CE's MP. [/quote]
Nostalgia goggles. ;-)

I can never understand the love of Halo CE's MP.
Mainly 4 xboxs lanned together on tube TVs with 16 people. More fun than I've ever had than online.

Aside from that, it was the first really solid console shooter multiplayer. It was also well BALANCED. Yes, the pistol was an absolute stupid cannon. It should have been reskinned as a semi automatic rifle and then people wouldn't have problems with it. Weapons like the sniper rifle and rockets were useful in there own right. But everyone started with a pistol. It was fair. Halo 2 had glitches, PP/BR, etc. it's online netcode with host advantage was pretty game breaking as well, but that was a victim of the time it was created.

It wasn't bad by any means, but Halo 1 was my gaming golden age in high school.

[quote name="gthirst" post="12015938" timestamp="1408290440"]Mainly 4 xboxs lanned together on tube TVs with 16 people. More fun than I've ever had than online.

Aside from that, it was the first really solid console shooter multiplayer. It was also well BALANCED. Yes, the pistol was an absolute stupid cannon. It should have been reskinned as a semi automatic rifle and then people wouldn't have problems with it. Weapons like the sniper rifle and rockets were useful in there own right. But everyone started with a pistol. It was fair. Halo 2 had glitches, PP/BR, etc. it's online netcode with host advantage was pretty game breaking as well, but that was a victim of the time it was created.

It wasn't bad by any means, but Halo 1 was my gaming golden age in high school.[/quote]
First solid console shooter was Goldeneye. It hasn't aged as well, but that was arguably the first game to show you could do an FPS with a controller. Then Perfect Dark added a lot on top of it, but never reached the same heights of popularity. Halo built a lot on that foundation and improvements PC shooters made since Goldeneye released. There is a reason both EA and Activision tried to milk that game's success years later.

4 Player split screen on Goldeneye never got old.

We would play that all day long back in the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Halo 2 online was awesome even with all the glitches. If you say otherwise you're just trying to be cool or something. Halo 1 multiplayer was awesome because it was so well balanced. It had tons of vehicles. Great maps. Good graphics.

First solid console shooter was Goldeneye. It hasn't aged as well, but that was arguably the first game to show you could do an FPS with a controller. Then Perfect Dark added a lot on top of it, but never reached the same heights of popularity. Halo built a lot on that foundation and improvements PC shooters made since Goldeneye released. There is a reason both EA and Activision tried to milk that game's success years later.
I knew someone would chime in on that. While Goldeneye and PD were very highly regarded, I never got into them. I really don't even understand the acclaim and never will, but that is an unpopular opinion. In 1997, Goldenye was released. A year later Half Life 1 was released. It's not even close. Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress make up for the lack of multiplayer.

Halo: CE was actually better and able to compete with the PC shooters at the time. When it came to PC, outside of the horrible netcode, it was a solid PC shooter.

There was discussion of nostalgia goggles, and Goldeneye is definately a game that is suspect in that case. I'm sure if PC Master Race was more of a thing back then it wouldn't be so highly regarded.

Bungie defined console shooters, straight up. The control scheme of Halo is still used to this day with slight variation. It seems obvious, but they were the first to implement it SUCCESSFULY.

Goldeneye doesn't even hold up to early PC shooters really. Quake, Unreal, etc. Though I do suppose, without the first step, Halo might not have been what it was.

[quote name="gthirst" post="12035927" timestamp="1408960816"]I knew someone would chime in on that. While Goldeneye and PD were very highly regarded, I never got into them. I really don't even understand the acclaim and never will, but that is an unpopular opinion. In 1997, Goldenye was released. A year later Half Life 1 was released. It's not even close. Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress make up for the lack of multiplayer.

Halo: CE was actually better and able to compete with the PC shooters at the time. When it came to PC, outside of the horrible netcode, it was a solid PC shooter.

There was discussion of nostalgia goggles, and Goldeneye is definately a game that is suspect in that case. I'm sure if PC Master Race was more of a thing back then it wouldn't be so highly regarded.

Bungie defined console shooters, straight up. The control scheme of Halo is still used to this day with slight variation. It seems obvious, but they were the first to implement it SUCCESSFULY.

Goldeneye doesn't even hold up to early PC shooters really. Quake, Unreal, etc. Though I do suppose, without the first step, Halo might not have been what it was.[/quote]
Of course a game that comes out five years later is going to improve on things. It would be crazy not to. As far as control schemes go, Goldeneye did a very competent job with the limitations of the N64 controller. There are even hints of ADS in its infancy in the game. PC was a big deal in the 90s just like it is today. Arguably bigger since there was a bigger discrepancy in hardware and consoles back then (I'm sure somebody will point out how underpowered consoles are now). I never claimed that Goldeneye was flawless or competed with PC games anyway. I just said it was the first solid console FPS. But as far as competing with PC shooters, I remember being bored with Halo's multiplayer. Why? Because at the time it came out I was playing TFC and then Battlefield 1942 on my PC. Both games offered many more players and even more in depth vehicle combat in the case of Battlefield. Like a said, Halo improved on things that came before it. It wasn't the first and certainly wasn't better than the PC shooters of the time (Unreal Tournament alone would blow it out of the water), but it was a solid console game with many glaring flaws that, in my opinion, we're greatly improved in the second outing.

Given that you can play separate playlists I wonder which game in the series will be the least active? I'm guessing Halo 4 since out of the 4 that strays away from the original formula the most, although Halo 1 might not be played a lot since it was just recently rereleased.

Halo 4 definitely, while I would probably be playing all 4 games a bit.  

Halo 2/3 are getting the bulk of the community.

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="12036499" timestamp="1408984496"]Given that you can play separate playlists I wonder which game in the series will be the least active? I'm guessing Halo 4 since out of the 4 that strays away from the original formula the most, although Halo 1 might not be played a lot since it was just recently rereleased.[/quote]
Are there game specific playlists? I thought all the playlists would shuffle from the different games. For example Big Team Battle might pull a map from Halo 2 then the next is from Halo 4.

Are there game specific playlists? I thought all the playlists would shuffle from the different games. For example Big Team Battle might pull a map from Halo 2 then the next is from Halo 4.
There's two ways to do it. You can pick a mode (Say Team Deathmatch) and it'll cycle through all 4 games with that game mode, or if you want you can select match-lists with one particular game in mind.

[quote name="Kazeno Katana" post="12037269" timestamp="1408999420"]There's two ways to do it. You can pick a mode (Say Team Deathmatch) and it'll cycle through all 4 games with that game mode, or if you want you can select match-lists with one particular game in mind.[/quote]
Ah I didn't know that. I kind of liked 4, but I'm easily in the minority. I'm with you that will probably be the last played.

I'm actually expecting 4 to be more popular.  I realize that the previous games have people who recall great times and experiences, but I feel like the faster pace of 4 will actually bring people (back) to it.  I say this as someone who didn't like 4, but I believe things like sprint, faster spawns and ordinances will make it the more populated game.  Essentially, I do expect it to have a more casual or even Call of Duty crowd, but I also expect there to be a lot of people who go back to the previous entries and find them too slow or imbalanced.  The Xbox One is still so young that people will be looking for another multiplayer title to play, and 4 is the most modern of them.  There will be people who will hate a 3 shot pistol and map jumpers, which makes me suspect that 4's setup may actually be more preferable to people. 

I could be wrong though.  But I've seen remastered games come back with multiplayer and it's short-lived.  I really expect 4, and probably 3, to be more played overall than 1 or 2 after the initial hype and nostalgia fade. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You're buying the Collection for Halo 2 MP.  All the stuff you listed is the reason why people hate Halo 4.

You're buying the Collection for Halo 2 MP. All the stuff you listed is the reason why people hate Halo 4.
Don't underestimate the new audience though.

We're just 1 year removed from The Last of Us remastered edition on the PS4 and that game sold like gangbusters. Many people either traded in their system and rebought it or people that never got to play it on the PS3 now have a second chance to try it out. Same point would apply to Halo 4 (alongside the rest of the collection as well).

I wouldn't want to believe there being much of a new audience.  Everyone that had wanted to play Halo has played Halo, including H4.  The main selling point is Halo 2 remastered, all the other stuff is IMO filler content to justify the price point.

Last of Us is a different situation since it was released 4-5 months before the end of a console generation plus it's a newer IP.  I don't know how many people skipped out on it first go around, but I would like to bet majority of people who purchased TLOU Remastered were previous owners of the PS3 version.

You're buying the Collection for Halo 2 MP. All the stuff you listed is the reason why people hate Halo 4.
No I'm not.

There's only one Call of Duty and one Battlefield currently on the Xbox One. There's also Titanfall. Relatively, there's little competition for the AAA FPS crowd. Destiny launches soon, but I don't know how well the long term lifeline idea that game promotes will actually work. Sunset Overdrive comes in a few months, but it's a new IP, and may not be an amazing seller. The modern shooter crowd will be looking for a title to play on their new system. Even after the new Call of Duty releases, that's only 6 big titles for this Halo Collection to compete against. I don't doubt each Halo title will have a select group of loyal gamers that will strictly play that one mutiplayer game, but I expect there to be many people who go back to a particular Halo title and find it hasn't aged well. That's what I mean by Halo 4 potentially seeing a surge, as the modern setup it offers may be more comfortable to current gamers.

Halo 3 went free to Games with Gold recently, and while the game saw a brief jump in the population, it lost it almost as quickly. Even Halo: Reach had a title update that offered the ability in some playlists to remove armor abilities and add a 3 shot pistol. Similarly, that game saw a jump in the population, but then the numbers declined and those playlists were either removed or further restricted. Complaints that I read about Halo 3 when it came to Gold for free was that the game was too slow. Halo: Reach saw some of the same complaints, that movement was slow, kills took to long to happen, and the lack of sprint made matches take longer because navigating around open areas was a death trap. While I do understand their points, back in 2007 people were fine with this and were able to play the game as it was. Now there are people who find it dated. That's what I'm basing this off of; numbers and reaction. People talk about previous entries and the way things were and how great it was, but when it's brought back they see how sluggish and un-modern it is. You don't realize it, but you adapt to the current standards just like game designers do, which is why going back to older games can be cumbersome, as the designs for that period may have seemed revolutionary, but now are just ugly.

GoldenEye was brought up here, and while I agree that the game was fantastic those many years ago, it has not aged well. Using the C-buttons back then seemed brilliant to allow me to freely use the control still to navigate the horizontal plane, while I looked up or down with the respective C-button, or strafed with the right or left C-button, but now it would just be weird to use that controller or sort of in game setup. Even if the controls were adapted to a dual stick setup, the design of cycling through weapons, or having to pause to select a specific gadget would still be complained about. It's why the idea of GoldenEye ever being ported or remastered is better as a thought than an actual release. Perfect Dark was remastered, and yet the online multiplayer for that game was dead not even months after release. Yet when Perfect Dark Zero came out there were numerous people going on about how much better the original was, and how that game should've been brought to the Xbox 360 in some way. It was done, even adding the online functionality, and yet it wasn't the massively popular game people begging for it made it seem like it would be.

The people who played Halo 2 a decade ago are now a decade older, and they probably have more busy lives now. The people who played Halo 4 a whole 2 years ago will only be 2 years further into their lives, making the game likely to have a consistent population. That's what I mean by the previous games being popular for the first few weeks due to hype and nostalgia, but the more modern game having the lasting audience.

Don't underestimate the new audience though.
I think that as well. It's a new console, new beginning. My cousin bought Halo 2 and was one of the first buyers of an Xbox. He rarely plays any more, but amassed many hours in Halo 2. His son now plays games, and plays Halo 4 online regularly (yes, one of those annoying squeak voices...). He doesn't play the older Halos, and when I tried playing Halo 3 with him he called it boring. My cousin went on about how he tried to get him to play Combat Evolved Anniversary and Halo 2 on the 360 and he just didn't like them.

There's always going to be newcomers, even if the numbers aren't mammoth.

Again, I'm not saying 4 is the best one, but it's the most modern. And the question was about which game people think will be most populated, not which one people have the most nostalgia for.

I'll agree to disagree, but Halo 2 is the main selling point of MCC.  There's really no way you can debate this, it's been evident since it's not only the 10th year anniversary plus it's the only game in the collection getting truly remastered altogether.  We've haven't seen anything yet from CE, 3, or 4 on MCC yet.

I could be wrong about this, but the MP population on 3/Reach today is on par with the game population in Halo 4.  I'm positive enough to say at least Reach/H4 average around 15k daily players at any given time, not so sure about Halo 3, but I know it's pulls at least 10k on a bad day.

Lastly, I can't speak for every Halo player, but "modern" doesn't always work out.  Halo 4 and games like Rainbow Six Vegas 1 with the cover system and 2 with the sprint addition don't always work out.  Halo 4 plays too much like Call of Duty to say I fully enjoy it plus the maps overall weren't the best. 

MCC is pure nostalgia since 75% are fairly old games.  Halo 1/2 still have a very loyal and dedicated fanbase behind them as well as H3 to some extent.  H4 isn't bad by no means, but it isn't a true Halo game nor do I believe many people would want to play it mainly.

bread's done
Back