Halo: Reach

[quote name='Maklershed']So whats the fastest way to rank up? Rumble pit?[/QUOTE]

If you win. I like playing big team battle, too much fun. Also, credit farming where you try to complete commendations.

Pretty easy set of daily challenges yesterday. Took care of the 40 pistol kills and 400 kills in Gruntpocalypse then regular firefight (lots of snipers) for the survival and outpost one.

Today's are tougher. 30 assists is always a pain, got it last time but took a while. 17 multiplayer matches is a lot for one evening as well. 2 killing sprees is probably out of the question for me as well since I stink! Will probably hop on and at least get the 75 kills one tonight.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Pretty easy set of daily challenges yesterday. Took care of the 40 pistol kills and 400 kills in Gruntpocalypse then regular firefight (lots of snipers) for the survival and outpost one.

Today's are tougher. 30 assists is always a pain, got it last time but took a while. 17 multiplayer matches is a lot for one evening as well. 2 killing sprees is probably out of the question for me as well since I stink! Will probably hop on and at least get the 75 kills one tonight.[/QUOTE]

Just to let you guys know, the 17 games one has to be completed all in one run through. You can't turn you xbox off or go to the dash or it resets.

A good way to get assists is in rumble pit.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Just to let you guys know, the 17 games one has to be completed all in one run through. You can't turn you xbox off or go to the dash or it resets.

A good way to get assists is in rumble pit.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure? Last time they had this, I was able to continue where I left off, after I had turned it off and back on later.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Are you sure? Last time they had this, I was able to continue where I left off, after I had turned it off and back on later.[/QUOTE]

Positive, played 3 games around when the new ones went live and came back on and it was reset. People are already bitching on the bungie forums.

I guess thats why its called the love of the game.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Just to let you guys know, the 17 games one has to be completed all in one run through. You can't turn you xbox off or go to the dash or it resets.

A good way to get assists is in rumble pit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, no way I'll get it. I did the 30 games last week for the weekly challenge, but that was spread across 3 nights of playing. Pretty silly that you can't break it up in a few sessions across the day.

And yep, Rumble pit is the easiest for the assists since there are so many times with a couple people shooting at one person. Takes a while to get to 30 though, but faster than the other modes in my experience.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']If you win. I like playing big team battle, too much fun. Also, credit farming where you try to complete commendations.[/QUOTE]
I don't think farming commendations is going to carry us all the way to the 1 million+ CR ranks; afaik they all cap out one level above onyx. Then it's just going to be playing LOTS of multiplayer.

Having to play the 17 games in one sitting is silly. 17 games in just one day is a bunch. In one sitting is dumb. They should also have mentioned that in the description. I just feel bad for the guy that played like 10 games before and decided to take a break.

I seem to get a lot of assists in multi team games. The only one that looks difficult is the 2 sprees in 1 game. Unless they count a killing spree and sword spree...even though its the same spree.

Yeah i just played muti team and got 12 assists in 1 match. :D I dont know why i kept trying to get assists in team slayer in the past, so hard compared to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, multi team would be like rumble pit in that you have a lot of times with multiple people shooting at each other so easy to rack up assists, steal kills etc.

So the 17 games is in one sitting. How fucking absurd. I knocked out 5 at lunch in about an hour figuring I'd wipe the other 12 out tonight. Oh well, fuck that.

any tips on racking up points in firefight? and why do i end up always being the only one left at the end of the game??? is the betrayal deal really that bad and do you get auto kicked out or does another player have to kick you out?

Other player has to kick you out.

A lot of it is probably people quitting on their own for whatever reason. Don't like the map, a friend just popped online and they want to party up with them etc.

[quote name='donster32']is the betrayal deal really that bad and do you get auto kicked out or does another player have to kick you out?[/QUOTE]

Because so many people are childish, it can get bad, especially on Rocketfight. People will run right into a group of enemies and then wonder why you shot a rocket there.

[quote name='donster32']any tips on racking up points in firefight? and why do i end up always being the only one left at the end of the game??? is the betrayal deal really that bad and do you get auto kicked out or does another player have to kick you out?[/QUOTE]
Firefight is quitter central.

[quote name='Thorgouge']Turned black eye on, naded shields, made like 8 assassinations in a row with sprint canceled the way it should, still no achievement. fuck this achievement. Seriously.[/QUOTE]
What tripped me up, I think, was clicking "duck" instinctively before I jumped. As soon as I stopped doing that, I got the achievement.
Don't let it beat you -- not after all the time you put into it. You can do it!

thx...

for melee attacks does it matter which gun you have...it seems like someone will kill me with 1 melee and I do have a full tank of life and no they aren't using the sword.

i didn't realize the sword will peter out on you...went on a sword spree last night and the sword just died on me

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I think that after a certain number of retries, the game throws you back to the checkpoint you had before the one you have now. I remember this happening to me in Nightfall with the shade turrets and after I was trying to get "If They Came to Hear Me Beg" on the last mission. I jumped off a cliff trying to assassinate the Elite, then after a certain number of respawns it threw me to the very beginning.[/QUOTE]

It must be a lot of retries. There were parts of the levels on my legendary playthrough where I must have died about 30 times in one area.

BTW I finally got "if they came to hear me beg" yesterday. It took me probably a good 20-30 minutes of trying it over and over, but I eventually got the achievement to pop, even though I had done multiple assassinations already. FWIW, I did it on normal difficulty, and hit myself with a grenade to hurt me before I fell. Not sure what it was about that one particular attempt that triggered it, as I had done assassinations from the air before, also when being hurt, etc. Maybe I just happened to be in the right position finally. For those having trouble, just keep trying it's gotta happen for you sometime!

[quote name='donster32']thx...

for melee attacks does it matter which gun you have...it seems like someone will kill me with 1 melee and I do have a full tank of life and no they aren't using the sword.

i didn't realize the sword will peter out on you...went on a sword spree last night and the sword just died on me[/QUOTE]

Yeah im not sure, but ive been a victim of 1 melee deaths and i have no idea why id die with 1 hit. I also hate when i press melee and my character doesnt do anything. So annoying.

So, for those that missed it earlier or those that want more details, here is Bungie's update about the playlist update we'll be receiving. It's in two parts, and the first part will be up Tuesday, and that one includes the Team SWAT playlist. The second part, due later this month, will include the removal of friendly fire in Firefight and booting for teamkilling in other game types will revert back to a "three strikes, and you're out" system.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=28998

Thanks for posting, Bruce. I forget how much I enjoy these Bungie updates!

It's been funny: before Reach came out, I went back to playing Halo 1 -- the only Halo I never beat. It's a good thing, as Reach is a throwback in a lot of ways (health packs, no dual-wielding, etc.). I made it through the F'ing Library -- which is as bad as everyone says -- and just have one more level to go before finishing. I never actually *knew* what the titular Halo was for until now. Kinda corny, though -- like just an excuse to justify The Flood.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Thanks for posting, Bruce. I forget how much I enjoy these Bungie updates!

It's been funny: before Reach came out, I went back to playing Halo 1 -- the only Halo I never beat. It's a good thing, as Reach is a throwback in a lot of ways (health packs, no dual-wielding, etc.). I made it through the F'ing Library -- which is as bad as everyone says -- and just have one more level to go before finishing. I never actually *knew* what the titular Halo was for until now. Kinda corny, though -- like just an excuse to justify The Flood.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I never played the single player of Halo and beat it. I did a run of Halo 1 and 2 right before Halo 3 ODST launched. Pretty cool stuff when you go ohhh I see now or hah this is this part.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Positive, played 3 games around when the new ones went live and came back on and it was reset. People are already bitching on the bungie forums.

I guess thats why its called the love of the game.[/QUOTE]

I played some games earlier, and just turned my xbox back on after a 4 hour break, and mine still shows 9/17 matches.

[quote name='Pirate331']I don't think farming commendations is going to carry us all the way to the 1 million+ CR ranks; afaik they all cap out one level above onyx. Then it's just going to be playing LOTS of multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

You know when you hit Onyx its over, even when you max out an onyx you dont get any extra points for that. So when you go from gold to onyx thats the last time you will get bonus points for it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I played some games earlier, and just turned my xbox back on after a 4 hour break, and mine still shows 9/17 matches.

You know when you hit Onyx its over, even when you max out an onyx you dont get any extra points for that. So when you go from gold to onyx thats the last time you will get bonus points for it.[/QUOTE]

Looks like bungie changed it. Thats how it was in the morning. Maybe they will come out with new commendations, but I doubt it.

Sniper headshots are way TOO easy to get. I consider myself decent with the sniper in Halo 3, but it very easy to get them now.

[quote name='The 7th Number']aww yeah got the double nickel challenge. 1 more game and ill get the 17 games challenge too. Damn i still have to do the weekly challenge though.[/QUOTE]

I never have anybody to do the co-op ones

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']I never have anybody to do the co-op ones[/QUOTE]

send me a friend request if you want to run through the first level, its pretty easy even on legendary. Though i dont use a mic. Ill be online later, about an hour and a half from now.

Man i just took a video of a rejection using armor lock. I was engaged with someone else, and right as i hit the armor lock someone went to kill me with a sword, and instead of killing me he fell over dead. LOL

Ive got about 290,000 credits or so, i think once i hit 300,000 im going to buy the hearts. There really isnt anything else i want, those hearts are kind of cool.

[quote name='The 7th Number']send me a friend request if you want to run through the first level, its pretty easy even on legendary. Though i dont use a mic. Ill be online later, about an hour and a half from now.

Man i just took a video of a rejection using armor lock. I was engaged with someone else, and right as i hit the armor lock someone went to kill me with a sword, and instead of killing me he fell over dead. LOL

Ive got about 290,000 credits or so, i think once i hit 300,000 im going to buy the hearts. There really isnt anything else i want, those hearts are kind of cool.[/QUOTE]

Cool man

I got into the most BS match of infection on Pinnacle. It's fucked up that the humans start right next to the tower. They can sit on the ramp and defend until they run out of ammo. If it were Safe Havens, it'd be bearable since it's not a guaranteed one shot unless your in the haven.

Also, I must have rolled off the map to my death as many times as I got shot. It was the first match of the night for me and I quit right afterward.

It somehow gave me the determination to get the Beg achievement. That only took me another hour. What's stupid is that I would mostly die if I missed the assassination, but if I got it, it wouldn't pop. I'm glad I don't have to worry bout that one anymore.

[quote name='Ziv']I got into the most BS match of infection on Pinnacle. It's fucked up that the humans start right next to the tower. They can sit on the ramp and defend until they run out of ammo. If it were Safe Havens, it'd be bearable since it's not a guaranteed one shot unless your in the haven.

Also, I must have rolled off the map to my death as many times as I got shot. It was the first match of the night for me and I quit right afterward.

It somehow gave me the determination to get the Beg achievement. That only took me another hour. What's stupid is that I would mostly die if I missed the assassination, but if I got it, it wouldn't pop. I'm glad I don't have to worry bout that one anymore.[/QUOTE]

I had an Infection match on Asylum where they were camping on a ledge outside the map. Am I crazy to think that you aren't supposed to be able to get up there?

Well the 17 game challenge actually wasn't that bad. Amazingly most people in rumble pit were smart enough to vote for infection/safe haves/rally/race which all tend to last less than five minutes. Managed to knock out all the challenges except for the 2 spree one.

Also won my a rumble pit slayer match for the first time, and had a couple others at 19-21 kills. Solid night all in all.

So i ended up getting the Heart Attack armor effects, i like them. They make my death a little less annoying LOL. I only have little over 3,000 credits now, i feel so poor!

CAG Halo Clan is ready to accept all friend invites. Remember it's a Silver tag so you just look at the friends list for CAG Halo Clan (move to the right after you click on the gamercard) to see who's online.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Finally got to lt.colonel[/QUOTE]

grats bro, also for the weekly challenge, just fire up a 2nd controller and do it locally. That's how I did mine. Plus your 2nd spartan carries plenty of ammo for your magnum and AF.

It's be nice if bungie.net would actually showcase the armor you're wearing and not what seems to be one of 2 default armor/helmet selections.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Finally got to lt.colonel[/QUOTE]

Man just grinding through the warrant officer grades is so plenty enough for me, but to go through the cap and major ranks oh man.

Grats to you

Reading over the weekly update and saw that...

Score Attack

Credit earn rates for Gruntpocalypse are being reduced to fall more in line with other modes.

Sad times, won't be able to farm from there any longer

Even if they only reduce Gruntfarmcalypse by 1/2 cR, it's only that mode of score attack. Some ppl find sniper and crashsite very easy. So instead of 1000 cR you'd get anywhere between 500 > 750? Doesn't seem like a bit hit at all. ppl will find a way, they always do.

[quote name='dabebop']Man just grinding through the warrant officer grades is so plenty enough for me, but to go through the cap and major ranks oh man.

Grats to you

Reading over the weekly update and saw that...

Score Attack
Credit earn rates for Gruntpocalypse are being reduced to fall more in line with other modes.

Sad times, won't be able to farm from there any longer[/QUOTE]

All I can say dude, is keep on trucking. I kinda broke down at the point from officer to captain and just took a day or two break and started back up. Thats why I love football season, it allows me to take a two day break and come back even better. You will get there man, what keeps me going is the new armor unlocks. The security shoulders look fing sick and I want the security helmet as well, but those are unavailable at the moment.

Here is a link with a lot of the armor options

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=260246

I read that in the update too. Sucks about gruntpocalypse, I used it to close the gaps in between ranks. Once you get to onyx, that gametype is pretty much useless

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=260242

I highly recommend some of these other farming options. Flawless cowboy and oni sword base are great ways to get points if your tired of gruntpocalypse.

[quote name='100xp']It's be nice if bungie.net would actually showcase the armor you're wearing and not what seems to be one of 2 default armor/helmet selections.[/QUOTE]

The feature was taken offline to deal with the server load during the first few weeks. Bungie says they will be taking care of this soon:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=28998

"The online team is still hard at work to bring Bungie.net up to full strength in the immediate aftermath of launch. One of the hot discussion items that continues to pop up in our forums is the player model featured in every player’s Service Record (or rather, the lack thereof). Rest assured your cries are being heard and the team is steadily working towards a solution. Keep your fingers crossed and we’ll keep you updated."

Can someone please explain to me how Stockpile is supposed to work? I ended up in a match early this morning on the Spire. I kept grabbing and dropping flags in our designated area and my teammates kept removing them from there and throwing them off the cliff adjacent to our location.

Am I wrong to assume the flags have to be kept in our red circle until the 60 second timer runs out, then we get our points? I couldn't figure out for the life of me, why my teammates kept chucking my hard earned flags away!!

Needless to say, I don't feel inclined to play that mode again any time soon. So I headed into Score Attack, and knocked off 2 of today's 'Kill X enemies' challenges.

This game kindof pisses me off at times. Like joining BTB and having everyone pick snipers on blood gulch/whatever it is remake. Talk about a fucking camp fest. To top it all off, most people suck at snipers(so do I) It's like people see these montages where people no scope others all day and they get this mentality. Like I gotta do some sweet noscopes or something. But most people that play it can't even hit anything with the scope.

Ok had to get the rage out.

Don't feel bad about the anger. I hate that crap, too. Everyone thinks they are great at sniping, but most people, myself included, blow, and the matches end up being boring as shit. Doesn't help that all these morons vote for it, and then 2 minutes into the match, half of them quit, making the match even more boring than it already was. Good job.

Im really getting tired of being spawned and killed right away, or the game spawns a guy right behind me and i get killed from behind.

Todays challenges were pretty easy. I thought the kill 5 enemies while jet packing would give me trouble, since i never use the jet pack. But i got it on my first try. It might of helped that i was playing multi team head hunter. So i was killing people not looking at me for the most part.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im really getting tired of being spawned and killed right away, or the game spawns a guy right behind me and i get killed from behind.

Todays challenges were pretty easy. I thought the kill 5 enemies while jet packing would give me trouble, since i never use the jet pack. But i got it on my first try. It might of helped that i was playing multi team head hunter. So i was killing people not looking at me for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hate that shit, on swat it does it all the time. They need to fix it in the update.

I have not encountered too many issues with spawning and then being killed, except for games of SWAT. And of course, the problem there is, you're often playing on small maps where people can get a clear shot at the one hit kill. It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately, which has worked plenty of times in my favor, so I can't really complain.

I hit Captain last night... the hard part is over. Now it will feel like I am actually making progress again.

Also all I've been doing is the challenges. Multi is sooo much of a chore. I did do some ONI grinding and some gruntpocalypse but neither really give money to feel like a worthwhile progress anymore. So I just do th challenges each day (the worthwhile ones)

bread's done
Back