Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
JUST GO HERE FOR DEALS NOW: Credit over at DVDtalk.com
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482461

Please feel free to post any HD-DVD / BD deals in this thread.

- Family Video Store for $5 off first time orders at http://www.familyvideo.com
This coupon is good for $5 off $5 and it's only .99 cents shipping for any size order.
Coupon code: NEWMEM96
Batman Begins HD-DVD ~ $17 shipped

- Google Checkout at BUY.com / CDUniverse.com / Bestprices.com have good deals (EXP 10/31)

- Amazon seems to have competitive prices on some also. 10 % off DEAL (order 3 and get 10% off and get 10% off for a year)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-4264254-3012160?ie=UTF8&nodeId=160066011

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray REVIEWS:
www.dvdtalk.com
www.highdefdigest.com

[quote name='zman73']Gamestop generally has prices equal to Target, with a much bigger selection... I hated the store before I got my HD player[/quote]

But that's for used copies, right?

[quote name='grimlock49']I did get Best Buy to price match. Was fairly easy. I just asked if they matched prices, showed them a physical ad from the newspaper and they took care of it. They even matched it down from $24.99 to $19.99 and I still got one free. I went there so I could get my reward zone points...[/quote]

Those bastards wouldn't PM that Fry's ad for Sony $19.99 BRD's Buy one Get one Free, because they claimed "we can only match prices, not giveaways".

I told them they have the same items advertised Buy one Get one Free, but that they are $5 more. Even had the manager come over. God damn Best Buy.

The frys sale help my blu-ray collection out real good. I ended up getting

-Silent Hill
-Monster House
-XXX
-Memento
-Tears of the Sun
-Resident Evil Apocalypse

and earlier last week I got Into the Blue, and Click from BestBuy.

so those along with the blu-ray movies I previously had
(Superman Returns, Underworld Evo., Black Hawk Down, and Crank) I have a pretty big collection for fairly cheap.

My HD-DVD collection is still a little bigger, but only by 3-4 movies now.

I ordered The Departed and Crank from buy.com to take advantage of the $15 Paypal deal. I received The Departed today a day before release. Pretty shocked by that. I guess they had them sitting in the warehouse and just sent them out. I don't usually preorder movies online but I preordered a couple today on Amazon. Do they usually ship out a little early to or on the release date itself?

[quote name='DomLando'] I don't usually preorder movies online but I preordered a couple today on Amazon. Do they usually ship out a little early to or on the release date itself?[/QUOTE]

I preordered the departed from Amazon and they shipped it today. When I ordered Beerfest from Amazon they also shipped that out a day early.

I preordered Hollywoodland from Amazon and they shipped it the Friday after it came out, 4 days late.

When I preordered Clerks 2, it shipped Thursday after it came out.

Yet some of their movies ship on time, apparently. Never early.

[quote name='eastx']I preordered Hollywoodland from Amazon and they shipped it the Friday after it came out, 4 days late.

When I preordered Clerks 2, it shipped Thursday after it came out.

Yet some of their movies ship on time, apparently. Never early.[/quote]I received Simpsons Season 5, I think it was 5, a day early from Amazon. This is entirely a YMMV issue.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']My Departed HD-DVD shipped from Amazon.com today, via USPS so I should get it tomorrow or Wednesday :D[/QUOTE]
so, bragger!:p

[quote name='Santurio']so, bragger!:p[/QUOTE]

No, bragging would be posting that he already got it on Monday and watched it Monday night, the day before it came out.

I don't like to brag though... ;)

Although, on a serious note, I've decided that The Departed is kind of like Heat where the more you watch it, the better it becomes. I'm definetly happy with my purchase as its definetely one of the most rewatchable movies to come out as of late.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']No, bragging would be posting that he already got it on Monday and watched it Monday night, the day before it came out.

I don't like to brag though... ;)

Although, on a serious note, I've decided that The Departed is kind of like Heat where the more you watch it, the better it becomes. I'm definetly happy with my purchase as its definetely one of the most rewatchable movies to come out as of late.[/QUOTE]
True. But he was still bragging because others were saying there's hadn't shipped yet.

When I was a Manager at Gamestop a few years back I would pre-order all kinds of movies and anime just to get them in sometimes a good week or so early. Too bad Gamestop sucks ass now and they have horrible employees working for them.

Anyone know any decent sites for importing hd-dvds? Theres a couple i want, but dont really want to end up spending $40+. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

[quote name='Bezerker']Anyone know any decent sites for importing hd-dvds? Theres a couple i want, but dont really want to end up spending $40+. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE]

This thread covers most of the bases:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3010

If you order like 3 or 4 titles at a time, the shipping will generally even out so you're paying $35 or so total per title.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Today's Fry's AD (Thru Tuesday):

HD-DVD - $15.99 each
Batman Begins
The Last Samurai
[/quote]Ooohhh...some HD-DVD deals. I might have to rebuy The Last Samurai at that price. Too bad I already have Batman Begins.

Which Frys ad is the B. Begins sale on? Its not in the San Jose ad and I wonder if my fry's will price match. Can I get a link?

Does anybody know how to resize the ad in iPhoto? Or can link to a bigger ad? Everytime I print it it is too small and not big enough to tell the price and/or movie title.

[quote name='grimlock49']Babel HD and Blu-Ray $21.99 @ Frys.com

HD-DVD

Blu-Ray[/quote]may be a dumb question...but does fry's b&m pricematch their online price? i would buy it online but the shipping makes it only $1 cheaper than the amazon price.

[quote name='varock']may be a dumb question...but does fry's b&m pricematch their online price? i would buy it online but the shipping makes it only $1 cheaper than the amazon price.[/QUOTE]
Not too sure, but its worth a shot.

[quote name='varock']may be a dumb question...but does fry's b&m pricematch their online price? i would buy it online but the shipping makes it only $1 cheaper than the amazon price.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they do. But you could probably get best buy to do it.

[quote name='anomynous']I need to get the 360 HD DVD add on, looks like HD DVDs are having deals more often[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't think thats true. Blu-Ray has had a couple buy1get1 sales recently. The HDDVD deals, except for the occasional clearance price or price mistake, all seem to come from google checkout, which is applicable to BDs as well.

Although, please dont let me discourage you from getting the HD DVD addon.

In some bad news today, I got home last night with my spankin' new copy of The Departed, purchased from Best Buy for 22.99, boot up the HDDVD addon and BAM! RED RING OF DEATH! Sucks for me.

Well, even though I wont have the HD DVD add on for a while, I bought my first HD DVD: The Departed. It's a combo, so I can still watch it on my normal DVD players for now. I bought it for $30 at Wal Wart. (I know it's was $22.99 at Best Buy, but my BB corrected the price up to $34.99)

Jarhead and Serenity HD-DVDs are back at cduniverse.com for $7.58 shipped after google checkout. They were at that price before but had gone up, but are now back to the low price($14.59-$10 GC+$2.99 shipping).

[quote name='anomynous']I need to get the 360 HD DVD add on, looks like HD DVDs are having deals more often[/quote]

If you have a local Fry's go for it. They seem to have deals on HD-DVD's every Friday for a while now.

My employee discount makes HD DVD prices tolerable. I usually can get them for around 18. I actually get a really nice discount on combo discs. I would have got the Departed for like 20 if i had waited and got it at BBY with my discount, but I did in store pick up cause my location was only getting 3 in.

I tried to get the Departed @ Best buy last night; They had 2 left, both marked as $34.99; only checked 1 of them, also rang up as $34.99 unfortunately >

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If you have a local Fry's go for it. They seem to have deals on HD-DVD's every Friday for a while now.[/QUOTE]
Don't have any Fry's near me, except for Chicago, which is 300+ miles away

Could somebody tell me the details behind the google checkout deal?

I see 10 off for new users.

Is it per order or item or new account?

[quote name='Sporadic']Could somebody tell me the details behind the google checkout deal?

I see 10 off for new users.

Is it per order or item or new account?[/quote]
It was per new account, but you only had til the 15th to make a new account to take advantage of the $10 discount.

EDIT: According to the GCO thread, they extended it. Check it out.

exactly where does the discount apply? i made a new account and its still coming up as $17.58. i'm scared to hit complete order and not save the $10

[quote name='xcoax']exactly where does the discount apply? i made a new account and its still coming up as $17.58. i'm scared to hit complete order and not save the $10[/QUOTE]

Are you signed in under the new account? I've done that a few times.

On another note, I remember seeing a thread somewhere about using GCO when its grayed out. (like for pre-orders or out of stock items) I can't seem to find it, anyone heard anything about that.

[quote name='striker199']
On another note, I remember seeing a thread somewhere about using GCO when its grayed out. (like for pre-orders or out of stock items) I can't seem to find it, anyone heard anything about that.[/QUOTE]

Just go to the checkout screen and instead of hitting the greyed out google checkout button, type the following url and enter.

http://www.buy.com/basket/googlepayment.asp?Image1.x=85&Image1.y=15

Whenever you hit the google checkout out button it goes to that URL to go to the google checkout screen. So its basically just like hitting the button.

I've done it twice before for out of stock stuff with buy.com and its worked fine for me.

[quote name='pinoy530']Jarhead and Serenity HD-DVDs are back at cduniverse.com for $7.58 shipped after google checkout. They were at that price before but had gone up, but are now back to the low price($14.59-$10 GC+$2.99 shipping).[/QUOTE]

Anyone who doesn't buy Serenity at that price loses.

Why do they continue to force these hd/dvd combo discs on us. I'm confused as to why the studios think its such a good idea.

[quote name='rxdoga']Why do they continue to force these hd/dvd combo discs on us. I'm confused as to why the studios think its such a good idea.[/QUOTE]

They are a great idea--its just that the price is all wrong.

[quote name='rxdoga']Why do they continue to force these hd/dvd combo discs on us. I'm confused as to why the studios think its such a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Because it costs them next to nothing to do it. But as someone else said, they need to adjust the price.

Because combo disks are a great idea.

[quote name='Kawnhr']Because combo disks are a great idea.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I like the idea of the combo discs, in theory. The price is just way too high, its like buying the HD AND DVD separately.

As a couple people have said, I too miss the disc art and worry about scratching one side or the other, but i will gladly do without the disc art if it means i dont have an obsolete disc once this "format war" is over. That, and i can use the HD version in my entertainment center, and the DVD version at others' houses, in my laptop during travel, or in the bedroom DVD player. Its a win-win for me.

yeah, the account i "made" with google checkout already existed. apparently they don't tell you if an email is already in use or not when you make it. i then made an account with a new email and got the $10 off jarhead. i had been tempted to get this movie for $19.99 from amazon, but they pushed it up three dollars when i went to order it with the departed. i decided to pick up lucky # slevin instead and it is actually one of my favorite movies now.

so moral of the story is cd universe has an easy order cancellation process compared to just about every other site i've ever tried to cancel an order with, and i'm getting a movie on hd-dvd for cheaper than i could have on regular dvd. CAG for the win once again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back