Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
JUST GO HERE FOR DEALS NOW: Credit over at DVDtalk.com
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=482461

Please feel free to post any HD-DVD / BD deals in this thread.

- Family Video Store for $5 off first time orders at http://www.familyvideo.com
This coupon is good for $5 off $5 and it's only .99 cents shipping for any size order.
Coupon code: NEWMEM96
Batman Begins HD-DVD ~ $17 shipped

- Google Checkout at BUY.com / CDUniverse.com / Bestprices.com have good deals (EXP 10/31)

- Amazon seems to have competitive prices on some also. 10 % off DEAL (order 3 and get 10% off and get 10% off for a year)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/102-4264254-3012160?ie=UTF8&nodeId=160066011

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray REVIEWS:
www.dvdtalk.com
www.highdefdigest.com

[quote name='rodeojones903']I'm thinking that most people with a Blu-ray player have seen the movies, so its not that big of a deal they have to wait a little bit.[/QUOTE]

Um... name a movie that people have bought on either format that they HAVEN'T already seen. Most people don't blind buy movies too often for any format.

People with Bluray are also still waiting for V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, Poseiden, Troy....all still with no release date. And 300 will probably be the same case.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Um... name a movie that people have bought on either format that they HAVEN'T already seen. Most people don't blind buy movies too often for any format.

People with Bluray are also still waiting for V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, Poseiden, Troy....all still with no release date. And 300 will probably be the same case.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking there has to be something with it being harder to format the movie for Blu-Ray because you'd think WB would want one of their highest selling HD-DVD movies (Batman Begins) moved over to Blu-Ray...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm thinking there has to be something with it being harder to format the movie for Blu-Ray because you'd think WB would want one of their highest selling HD-DVD movies (Batman Begins) moved over to Blu-Ray...[/QUOTE]

Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Smallville, and now Matrix all have In-Movie Experience picture in picture features. This is due to the HDi in HD DVDs that allow interactive things such as PiP and bookmarks. Blu-rays version, BD Java, has yet to be fully implemented. They're probably holding these titles back until BD Java is up and running and they don't have to cut out extra features for BD.

[quote name='pinoy530']Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Smallville, and now Matrix all have In-Movie Experience picture in picture features. This is due to the HDi in HD DVDs that allow interactive things such as PiP and bookmarks. Blu-rays version, BD Java, has yet to be fully implemented. They're probably holding these titles back until BD Java is up and running and they don't have to cut out extra features for BD.[/QUOTE]

I think it was Mission Impossible 3, but they managed to just fake the picture in picture in that one by copying the movie twice to the disc. One version of the movie with the picture in picture, one without.

[quote name='thrustbucket'] And 300 will probably be the same case.[/QUOTE]
I don't think so. The Departed came out day and date on both, why wouldn't 300? ( I don't own Blu-Ray. Just FYI.)

Does Best Buy still have the NIN sampler discs? I haven't had a chance to go to Best Buy yet. The nearest one isn't very close. :( Do any of you have any extras in either format? I only have HDD right now but I'll have a PS3 by the end of the year. I was hoping to get both but at least one would be nice.

[quote name='Just Josh']I don't think so. The Departed came out day and date on both, why wouldn't 300? ( I don't own Blu-Ray. Just FYI.)[/QUOTE]

Two reasons.

A leaked UK release list shows it coming out for HD DVD only in September.

Strong rumors there are tons of IME material either planned or already finished for 300. And as we all know, so far, all of Warners titles that have IME have come out on HD DVD and still have not come out on BD. Matrix is just the latest.

If BD group gets their shit ironed out pronto, and gets BD-J working and tools ready before June, then I'll be wrong.

i take it back the extras in rocky are awesome.. the only ones that kinda suck are the deleted scenes with the exception of the alternate ending..

all the extras were filmed in hd... it even has the uncut digital fight between rocky and dixon.

it said in the extras that the movie was filmed in hd cuz sly was such a hd junkie..lol

i dont know if i would rebuy the original one though... supposedly it doesnt look too great

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think it was Mission Impossible 3, but they managed to just fake the picture in picture in that one by copying the movie twice to the disc. One version of the movie with the picture in picture, one without.[/QUOTE]

MI3 BD just didn't have the picture in picture commentary. Lionsgate faked it with Descent and Crank using the method you mentioned.

[quote name='pinoy530']MI3 BD just didn't have the picture in picture commentary. Lionsgate faked it with Descent and Crank using the method you mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, so I wasn't even close. Ah well.

[quote name='xportz']So The Matrix on HD-DVD before Blu Ray. Interesting, but I don't want to have to buy a boxed set with the awful sequels! :([/QUOTE]

Same here. :cry:

[quote name='Collectordragon']Does Best Buy still have the NIN sampler discs? I haven't had a chance to go to Best Buy yet. The nearest one isn't very close. :( Do any of you have any extras in either format? I only have HDD right now but I'll have a PS3 by the end of the year. I was hoping to get both but at least one would be nice.[/QUOTE]

I have the NIN sampler. I picked it up the day Motorstorm came out - it was the last copy they had on the shelf. BB indicated (when I asked three days earlier) that it was not going to be restocked when sold out.

Three days earlier that lady wouldnt sell it to me unless I bough a PS3 game (requirements to get the sampler). I waited it out for Motorstorm and was lucky they still had a copy.

The sampler looks true to the BRD full version - Tier 1 quality.

[quote name='TJM254']What is this NIN sampler and how do i get it?[/QUOTE]

I saw one at BB yesterday....passed though. I have NiN.

i think it is a disc or something about the band "nine inch nails" in blue ray or HD DVD. I have no idea if there is something special about it and i haven't got it.

Matrix Ultimate Trilogy HD DVD
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OONTFU/

MSRP is $119, Amazon has it for $84 shipped.

HDDISC10 10% promotion is not active yet, but you can order now to lock in the price and email customer support to inform them HDDISC10 was not applied and they will take off the 10% on top of it. Bringing the price down to $75 - a whopping $45 off MSRP!

[quote name='Ruined']Matrix Ultimate Trilogy HD DVD

HDDISC10 10% promotion is not active yet, but you can order now to lock in the price and email customer support to inform them HDDISC10 was not applied and they will take off the 10% on top of it. Bringing the price down to $75 - a whopping $45 off MSRP![/QUOTE]

That's an awesome price, thanks Ruined. Saw the pre-order on another site, didn't know about the HDDISC10 code though!

[quote name='suffah']That's an awesome price, thanks Ruined. Saw the pre-order on another site, didn't know about the HDDISC10 code though![/QUOTE]

HDDISC10 is a promo coupon that was offered until jan07 that gave you 10% off all HD DVD purchases for a whole year. If you're not a part of that promo, you won't be able to get the 10% off Matrix - because the promo is no longer offered.

Ruined - I got in on that promotion and I DID notice it wasnt taking 10% off on my HD disc purchases yet, do you have any insight on that?

[quote name='darkrage']Ruined - I got in on that promotion and I DID notice it wasnt taking 10% off on my HD disc purchases yet, do you have any insight on that?[/QUOTE]

I have heard it won't work on pre-orders up until they ship.

[quote name='Ruined']Matrix Ultimate Trilogy HD DVD

HDDISC10 10% promotion is not active yet, but you can order now to lock in the price and email customer support to inform them HDDISC10 was not applied and they will take off the 10% on top of it. Bringing the price down to $75 - a whopping $45 off MSRP![/quote]

im so getting that and using my $25 gift code when i get it in the mail for having the amazon card

[quote name='darkrage']Ruined - I got in on that promotion and I DID notice it wasnt taking 10% off on my HD disc purchases yet, do you have any insight on that?[/QUOTE]

When a preorder is first listed on Amazon, it takes about a week before the 10% will show up on orders. Meaning, that if you buy it in the first week you won't get the discount, and it wont be added later... BUT If you purchase an HD DVD in the first week and it doesn't take off the 10%, simply email customer service and they will give you the discount manually.

So, you can either wait a week or so after preorders are listed and the 10% should show up (look for it on final checkout screen), or you can email customer service for current orders where 10% is not showing up and they will add it for you.

When a preorder is first listed on Amazon, it takes about a week before the 10% will show up on orders. Meaning, that if you buy it in the first week you won't get the discount, and it wont be added later... BUT If you purchase an HD DVD in the first week and it doesn't take off the 10%, simply email customer service and they will give you the discount manually.

So, you can either wait a week or so after preorders are listed and the 10% should show up (look for it on final checkout screen), or you can email customer service for current orders where 10% is not showing up and they will add it for you.

I also got in on the promotion and for Blu-Ray movies it seems when they first put up a preorder the discount does not always work right away. After a few days it usually takes off the discount in the cart. I have pre ordered a few movies already and the promotion has came off as soon as I made the order. I don't know if it is different with HD DVD movies but it shouldn't be.

man i finally saw the departed.. what a fucking awesome movie..

i want to buy it now.. i woulda gotten the hd dvd but its one of those stupid combo discs....:(

Does Amazon have the best pre-order for Planet Earth (HD-DVD)? I can't believe I'm gonna plunk down on a documentary, but it looks quite amazing.

[quote name='guyver2077']man i finally saw the departed.. what a fucking awesome movie..

i want to buy it now.. i woulda gotten the hd dvd but its one of those stupid combo discs....:([/QUOTE]

If you liked it, now you owe it to yourself to see the chinese movie it's a copy of, Infernal affairs.

A bit off topic, but I think it was quite a dick move of the The Departed makers to not even mention or thank the people involved with Infernal Affairs when they were accepting their Oscar award. After all, The Departed wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the HK movie that came out first, Infernal Affairs.

Nevertheless both are good movies and must be watched.

For those of you who own both formats and haven't decided on your Happy Feet version. This should help:

HD-DVD version was reviewed with better sound than the Blu-Ray.

Warner has delivered an HD DVD release of truly fantastic quality -- the video and audio are simply superb. It's Dolby TrueHD track is also a notch above the Blu-ray, which doesn't enjoy the same high-resolution audio.
Blu-Ray Review / HD-DVD Review

[quote name='CounterSeal']A bit off topic, but I think it was quite a dick move of the The Departed makers to not even mention or thank the people involved with Infernal Affairs when they were accepting their Oscar award. After all, The Departed wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the HK movie that came out first, Infernal Affairs.

Nevertheless both are good movies and must be watched.[/QUOTE]

I watched the Oscars, and I could have sworn that Scorcesse mentioned the director of Infernal Affairs when he accepted for best Director. But I agree, it should have been brought up more.

The departed was almost a shot by shot copy of the chinese version, and people only care now that they don't have to read subtitles. Little disappointing.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I watched the Oscars, and I could have sworn that Scorcesse mentioned the director of Infernal Affairs when he accepted for best Director. But I agree, it should have been brought up more.

The departed was almost a shot by shot copy of the chinese version, and people only care now that they don't have to read subtitles. Little disappointing.[/QUOTE]
You must be insane. DO you know what shot for shot means?

[quote name='thrustbucket']I watched the Oscars, and I could have sworn that Scorcesse mentioned the director of Infernal Affairs when he accepted for best Director. But I agree, it should have been brought up more.

The departed was almost a shot by shot copy of the chinese version, and people only care now that they don't have to read subtitles. Little disappointing.[/QUOTE]

If I remember right he mentioned "Andrew Lau's original film from Hong Kong", but never mentioned the directors or the title of the movie. What a shame.

I personally loved Infernal Affairs and it's been one of my favorite movies since it's original release. After hearing so many good things about the Departed, I rented it. Didn't like it at all.

I also agree about the whole subtitles thing. With this movie and the U.S release of French horror film "Haute Tension" (High Tension), I realized now there is some idea floating around that people just hate subs. The funny thing is that Haute Tension maybe has 7-8 minutes of dialogue in the ENTIRE film, and it was released here dubbed. In an interview I read Alexandre Aja (the director) mentioned the decision to dub it was made because he felt if it played in it's original language, the fear was that it would only play in art houses.

Also in regards to The Departed, Infernal Affairs was maybe around 4 years old, why would it need to be "remade" in any form?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']For those of you who own both formats and haven't decided on your Happy Feet version. This should help:

HD-DVD version was reviewed with better sound than the Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray Review / HD-DVD Review[/QUOTE]

People talk up TrueHD alot, to be honest the difference I notice is subtle, if your an audiophile I can see where it would matter, but my hearing sucks so I don't notice it that much (I can't even tell the differnce between bit encoding for MP3s unless it's huge). At first I was holding off on cashing in on my PRP for an A1 I purchased for an A2 next week, but after listening to the differences on Batman Begins and Constantine I think the 5 free movies via rebate and the extra $100 will do me more good.

What's a big shame, espeically for audiohiles with tighter wallets, is the fact that what's probably two most prominant or at least biggest selling (360 add-on and A2) HD-DVD players on the market currently can't take advantage of it if unless you have one heck of an expensive (and fairly new) receiver becuase now you have to use HDMI for TRueHD with the A2.

[quote name='jetblac']You must be insane. DO you know what shot for shot means?[/QUOTE]

I am exagurating a tad, obviously. There were a few scenes in the movie that were different. And the over-all tone of Infernal Affairs was more serious and dramatic. But each important event that happened in the departed was almost exactly the same.

In other words, it would not be accurate to say The Departed was inspired by Infernal Affairs. Which is what I've heard some claim. It's a total remake.

The departed was almost a shot by shot copy of the chinese version, and people only care now that they don't have to read subtitles. Little disappointing.[/quote]

I watched the special features on the HD-DVD and they mention it all over the behind the scenes stuff about where the idea for the film came from and that sort of thing. Even to the point of mentioning that the original film wasn't very old at all.

I think what's worse is when The Departed won for Best Screenplay, the announcer (who announces random facts while the winner walks toward the podium), mentioned that "The Departed was based on the Japanese film, Infernal Affairs"...

[quote name='rightbackin']I think what's worse is when The Departed won for Best Screenplay, the announcer (who announces random facts while the winner walks toward the podium), mentioned that "The Departed was based on the Japanese film, Infernal Affairs"...[/QUOTE]

Yeah I spotted that too. Ouch. It was fairly obvious that the Oscars were being run by a bunch of chimps on the cheap this year. Thank Al Gore.

If anyone is wondering when the Matrix trilogy might be coming to Blu-Ray after WB saying they will release it later. Sony in an attempt to standardize BD-Java playback on Blu-ray hardware, has announced a deadline of October 31, 2007 for mandatory BD-J support in all new players released after that date. So hopefully now all WBs titles that they were holding back on for this reason will come out on Blu-Ray. It is still wait and see but hopefully this means The Matrix will be coming out for Blu-Ray sooner than later. Here is a link to the article: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...all_Deadline_For_BD-Java_Hardware_Support/543
Also the first disk to support BD-Jave will be Dragon's Lair which should be out April 9th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back