HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon isn't thrilling me with their new release shipping speed...Clerks II is the second disc in a row (the first being Fearless) that was delayed a few days before shipping. Still, I guess the 10% off discount is worth the wait. If I get tired of waiting for Clerks II I'll just pick it up at Best Buy and return the Amazon copy when it arrives. They shipped the Clerks II disc yesterday, but I just checked the tracking as I was posting this and it still says "carrier notified to pick up package." Jeez, slow down guys.

Here's the full quote from the EGM article...this'll be the last I say about it, since this is more suited for the hardware thread anyway....

[quote name='EGM (by way of Daniel Dumas, Wired Magazine)']After an easy set-up and navigation via the familiar XBox 360 dashboard, flicks like Serenity and The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift played lag-free even when in-movie special features were activated. Colors, however, were slightly muddled and fine details were a little fuzzier compared to the other HD-DVD drives.

BOTTOM LINE: Among the worst players out there, but what do you expect for $200? (Stand-alone units cost twice that.)[/quote]

He also says the PS3's Blu-Ray image is sharper than the 360's HD-DVD counterpart. Considering he didn't cite any examples of movies he used in the sharpness comparison, I'm not sure what to make of that. Some movies are not meant to be "razor sharp." He does mention Silent Hill and Little Man Blu-Ray discs as having "nigh flawless color contrast."

All of this sounds like stuff easily tweakable via your TV's setup menu, so I wouldn't give much thought to what was said. Not sure if the muddled colors he cites on the 360 are prior to or after the VGA color was improved.

"Among the worst players out there" just sounds really uninformed to me, especially since most other "professional" reviewers liked it. There aren't even that many HD-DVD players available, wording it like that makes it sound like you have dozens of players to choose from.

[quote name='zman73']Usually the magazines (seen this with alot of them) all seem to have less content around this time of the year.[/QUOTE]

I know, I'm just comparing it to what it was like in the early/mid 90's. Even the "lean" months like this issue would still be a respectable size. I had a subscription for several years (from issue 12 around 1990 to somewhere 1996-ish), then I got out of games for a few years, sporadically picking up an issue here and there. When I found a free subscription deal on here and started getting it regularly again, I was extremely disappointed by what a piece of crap it had turned into.

Have some more HD and BR titles for TRADE if anyone's interested. (Does anyone else think we need a separate HD and Blu-Ray FS/FT thread?)

Have:

Ant Bully (BR) Sealed
Lord of War (BR) Sealed
Silent Hilll (BR) Sealed
Ice Age: The Meltdown (BR)
The Omen (BR)
X-Men : Last Stand (BR)
Tomb Raider (HD)
Polar Express (HD)
Miami Vice (HD)

Want:

Kingdom of Heaven (BR)
ATL (either)
Memento (BR)
Crank (BR)
Pitch Black (HD)
Chronicles of Riddick (HD)
Unforgiven (BR)
Swordfish (BR)
Slither (HD)
Pearl Harbor (BR)
xXx (BR)
The Thing (HD)
The Mummy (HD)
The Mummy Returns (HD)
Last Samurai (either)
Casablanca (HD)
Sky Capt. & World of Tomorrow (BR)
Black Rain (BR)
Red Dragon (HD)
Resident Evil: Apocalypse (BR)
Saw 1, 2, 3 (BR)
Alien vs. Predator (BR)

[quote name='KaneRobot']Updated OP with 1/23 releases. Slim pickin' this week.[/QUOTE]

At least there's consistency now with new releases coming every week for the next 2 months. Unfortunately the next one I'm definetly planning on picking up will be The Departed. Those fuckers at Best Buy better have it out on the shelf on release day too...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']At least there's consistency now with new releases coming every week for the next 2 months. Unfortunately the next one I'm definetly planning on picking up will be The Departed. Those fuckers at Best Buy better have it out on the shelf on release day too...[/quote]

Be prepared to pay a bit more for it; it's a combo disc.

[quote name='Trakan']Be prepared to pay a bit more for it; it's a combo disc.[/QUOTE]

Like Miami Vice, I just don't care, it'll be worth the money.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']At least there's consistency now with new releases coming every week for the next 2 months. Unfortunately the next one I'm definetly planning on picking up will be The Departed. Those fuckers at Best Buy better have it out on the shelf on release day too...[/QUOTE]

Do you have "Infernal Affairs"?

Also just a few titles I'm going to drop here that I have my suspicions may come out or at least hope will: "An American Tail", "Jurassic Park", An American Tail: Fievel Goes West" and "The Land Before Time". I suspect "The Nutty Professor" might make a showing this year and I hope "The Hurricane" will being it's a strong Denzel pic.
Something to note, all these flicks are from Universal and therefore HD-DVD exclusive. I also wouldn't be surprised if "House MD" ends up coming out this year.

[quote name='guyver2077']you guys are actually buying new releases b&m? wow.....[/QUOTE]

I do for 2 reasons. The first is that I usually want a movie right away rather than waiting for it and the second is that I want B&M stores to carry future HD-DVD releases so if they see they're selling that's more likely to happen in the future. If everyone just bought their HD-DVD titles online, B&M stores would just stop carrying them. With a new media format its crucial for stores to see a consumer interest so they realize its worth it to carry them.

Also for the other consumers shopping there to know what it is RVB since BB and others are trying to play the Blu-Ray Propogandafest or at least some are.

Yeah, I still don't really buy too many new HD-DVD's (I own 4....with all coming from deals)

I did watch Clerks II (own) and enjoyed it....nice having a 2-disc set

Watched Waist Deep (rental) last night...average movie...decent picture.

yea but arent these prices ridiculous in store? how much are you guys paying for movies

im interested in poseidon since i heard it looks incredible

[quote name='guyver2077']yea but arent these prices ridiculous in store? how much are you guys paying for movies

im interested in poseidon since i heard it looks incredible[/QUOTE]

However, the movie was CRAP. I like when people buy CRAP movies because they LOOK good.

Prices STILL are too expensive though. Best Buy at least ran a Blu-Ray deal...hopefully we see more in the future.

i thought it was ok... not completely crap..

Its just sometime you need those bad ass looking movies to show off to get ppl to buy the drive...

i recently saw pitch black and riddick and thought they were amazing

[quote name='doubledown']However, the movie was CRAP. I like when people buy CRAP movies because they LOOK good.

Prices STILL are too expensive though. Best Buy at least ran a Blu-Ray deal...hopefully we see more in the future.[/QUOTE]

It is always this way when I new format launches, as people did when dvd launched, early adopters are videophiles who want the best source material in which to show off thier fancy av systems

Heck, I will probably pop in Hulk or King Kong when I have company

Also I agree about the ridiculous B&M prices, if I HAVE to guy in store Ill go to Moviestop (I know they are hard to come by) since they seen to beat BB by about 5 bucks per movie, picked up Clerks 2 there for 20 last week

[quote name='guyver2077']yea but arent these prices ridiculous in store? how much are you guys paying for movies

im interested in poseidon since i heard it looks incredible[/QUOTE]

All the WB titles at Target are $20 (I get 10% off at Target with employee discount). Best Buy has most of their HD-DVD titles at $24.99. Miami Vice was $30 at Walmart (which isn't too much more than what it would cost online).

The only really good deal for buying HD-DVDs online right now is the $10 google checkout deal. Before the Google checkout deal came alone there really wasn't that much savings for buying it online definetly not enough for me to justify having to wait for it.

[quote name='zman73']It is always this way when I new format launches, as people did when dvd launched, early adopters are videophiles who want the best source material in which to show off thier fancy av systems

Heck, I will probably pop in Hulk or King Kong when I have company

Also I agree about the ridiculous B&M prices, if I HAVE to guy in store Ill go to Moviestop (I know they are hard to come by) since they seen to beat BB by about 5 bucks per movie, picked up Clerks 2 there for 20 last week[/QUOTE]

I still have no idea why my first DVD was Lost in Space. That movie was complete crap but I'll be damned if I didn't watch it just to see how good it looked. I guess I made up for it though cause my second DVD was The Negotiator.

yea gc has spoiled me... i really dont want to pay over $20 for a movie. even $15 is pushing it..

online seems like the way to go if you can use gc.. bestprices.com and dvdplanet usually have some nice prices..

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I still have no idea why my first DVD was Lost in Space. That movie was complete crap but I'll be damned if I didn't watch it just to see how good it looked. I guess I made up for it though cause my second DVD was The Negotiator.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, I too owned Lost in Space at one time

[quote name='zman73']It is always this way when I new format launches, as people did when dvd launched, early adopters are videophiles who want the best source material in which to show off thier fancy av systems[/QUOTE]
I remember paying $30 for DVD's back in the day. Now that freaking hurt.......oh but it was worth it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']All the WB titles at Target are $20 (I get 10% off at Target with employee discount). Best Buy has most of their HD-DVD titles at $24.99. Miami Vice was $30 at Walmart (which isn't too much more than what it would cost online).

The only really good deal for buying HD-DVDs online right now is the $10 google checkout deal. Before the Google checkout deal came alone there really wasn't that much savings for buying it online definetly not enough for me to justify having to wait for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think the WB prices look terrible myself. Too bad they had no really old movies like "Casablanca" available for me to bag. Btw RVB is the HD DVD stock pretty much the same at all Targets or what? I saw "Batman Begins", "Apollo 13", "The Last Samurai" and "The Bourne Supremacy" to name a few. Btw where's "The Bourne Identity"? Was it released yet because I don't think it was.
Question is the Chicago and EWF HD DVD any good?

[quote name='Sarang01']Yeah I don't think the WB prices look terrible myself. Too bad they had no really old movies like "Casablanca" available for me to bag. Btw RVB is the HD DVD stock pretty much the same at all Targets or what? I saw "Batman Begins", "Apollo 13", "The Last Samurai" and "The Bourne Supremacy" to name a few. Btw where's "The Bourne Identity"? Was it released yet because I don't think it was.
Question is the Chicago and EWF HD DVD any good?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much every Target I've been to has had the exact same inventory for both HD-DVD and Blu-ray it doesn't seem to vary between stores.

Ugh it would be nice to find "Casablanca" readily available somewhere around but I have the feeling I'll have to order online. The same goes for "Clerks 2", "Half Baked" and "12 Monkeys" I'm sure and especially "Forbidden Planet".

[quote name='Sarang01']Ugh it would be nice to find "Casablanca" readily available somewhere around but I have the feeling I'll have to order online. The same goes for "Clerks 2", "Half Baked" and "12 Monkeys" I'm sure and especially "Forbidden Planet".[/QUOTE]

Casablanca is one that I've definetly never seen in any store. I'm not sure why but it seems to be available online only. I ended up using the google checkout deal to get it for about $13 shipped.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Casablanca is one that I've definetly never seen in any store. I'm not sure why but it seems to be available online only. I ended up using the google checkout deal to get it for about $13 shipped.[/QUOTE]

Is it as good as the reviews seem to say picwise?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Casablanca is one that I've definetly never seen in any store. I'm not sure why but it seems to be available online only. I ended up using the google checkout deal to get it for about $13 shipped.[/QUOTE]
It's barely available online; I ordered it 12/26 from DVDPlanet and it still hasn't shipped, they told me should ship 1/30

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Finally saw last Samurai and on HD-DVD, what an awesome film!

On another note, I was really looking forward to getting "The Departed" on HD-DVD next month but then I found out its a HD-DVD/DVD combo and its going to sell for about $30. Bastards

http://www.amazon.com/Departed-Comb.../ref=sr_1_1/102-6925966-2688116?ie=UTF8&s=dvd[/QUOTE]

You'll still be able to find a deal. Superman is a combo and walmart was selling it for $20 for a while.

[quote name='thrustbucket']You'll still be able to find a deal. Superman is a combo and walmart was selling it for $20 for a while.[/quote]

I hope so.

[quote name='Sarang01']Is it as good as the reviews seem to say picwise?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I haven't gotten it yet...

[quote name='guyver2077']i wish they would drop the combo disks already... these discs never have any cover art and make the movies more $$$$$\

fuck combo disks[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I would only pay less for a stupid combo disc, not extra.

[quote name='Sarang01']Is it as good as the reviews seem to say picwise?[/QUOTE]

Well I got it in the mail today and just got done watching it a little bit ago.

It looks amazing. Some of the stock war footage from the flashback scenes doesn't look very good but I'm assuming that has more to do with original source material than the transfer. In fact, its kind of interesting that there's such a discrepency between the two film stocks in the movie because it really shows you how well the digital transfer was done. There are some downright amazing 3d effects in the movie where the scene really feels like its extending out of your tv. Its not the best looking HD-DVD (can anything top King Kong really?) that I've seen but it is really damn good.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Well I got it in the mail today and just got done watching it a little bit ago.

It looks amazing. Some of the stock war footage from the flashback scenes doesn't look very good but I'm assuming that has more to do with original source material than the transfer. In fact, its kind of interesting that there's such a discrepency between the two film stocks in the movie because it really shows you how well the digital transfer was done. There are some downright amazing 3d effects in the movie where the scene really feels like its extending out of your tv. Its not the best looking HD-DVD (can anything top King Kong really?) that I've seen but it is really damn good.[/QUOTE]

Sweet. Has anything even been said for when this will hit BR? Just curious.

Btw is anyone here besides myself willing to write Universal asking them to release any of the two American Tail's or "The Land Before Time" this year? I mean I could really do seeing some good hand drawn stuff in the style of Bluth or Disney. I'd say Anime but I'm thinking of a more subdued color palette as well as gentler lines

[quote name='Sarang01']Sweet. Has anything even been said for when this will hit BR? Just curious.

Btw is anyone here besides myself willing to write Universal asking them to release any of the two American Tail's or "The Land Before Time" this year? I mean I could really do seeing some good hand drawn stuff in the style of Bluth or Disney. I'd say Anime but I'm thinking of a more subdued color palette as well as gentler lines[/QUOTE]

I don't think anything at all has been announced for Casablanca on Blu ray. WB is barely keeping up as it is with moving their titles over to BR. Given the lackluster push for Casablanca (not even seeing B&M stores carrying it) I wouldn't be surprised if they just skipped it on blu ray altogether....

I can appreciate your desire for An American Tail but Universal has much more pressing matters to attend to first. Those matters would include Jurassic Park, Dawn of the Dead remake, and the Back to the Future trilogy. Once those have been handled we can worry about An American Tail. ;)

Well I mention those to fill a gap as well. I mean "King Kong" is there as the big monster movie though I wouldn't mind seeing "Jurassic Park" as well. Basically HD DVD and Blu-Ray right now are missing ANYTHING traditionally Animated right now in the US plus I would like to get any of those Bluth films in OAR. NO US DVD's have them in OAR, they're all FS. Even past these I'd take "Iron Giant" or "Batman: Mask Of the Phantasm".

[quote name='Sarang01']Well I mention those to fill a gap as well. I mean "King Kong" is there as the big monster movie though I wouldn't mind seeing "Jurassic Park" as well. Basically HD DVD and Blu-Ray right now are missing ANYTHING traditionally Animated right now in the US plus I would like to get any of those Bluth films in OAR. NO US DVD's have them in OAR, they're all FS. Even past these I'd take "Iron Giant" or "Batman: Mask Of the Phantasm".[/QUOTE]

I'll see your Batman Mask of the Phantasm and raise you a Batman Beyond Return of the Joker!

I agree though, it would be interesting to see some high def animation. I thought I heard a rumor that Shrek might be making it to HD-DVD or maybe that was just fan speculation.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'll see your Batman Mask of the Phantasm and raise you a Batman Beyond Return of the Joker!

I agree though, it would be interesting to see some high def animation. I thought I heard a rumor that Shrek might be making it to HD-DVD or maybe that was just fan speculation.[/QUOTE]

Was the "Batman Beyond" movie shot in 1080p or film though? The reason I ask is because it seemed to be direct to video to my knowledge. "ShreK" would be ok I guess but I'd prefer hand drawn. I mean Disney is releasing "Cars" anyway. I think Dreamworks would do well to release "My Sassy Girl" over here on HD DVD since they own the rights to it here.

[quote name='Sarang01']Was the "Batman Beyond" movie shot in 1080p or film though? The reason I ask is because it seemed to be direct to video to my knowledge. "ShreK" would be ok I guess but I'd prefer hand drawn. I mean Disney is releasing "Cars" anyway. I think Dreamworks would do well to release "My Sassy Girl" over here on HD DVD since they own the rights to it here.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, that's an excellent point, I'm not sure if it was shot on film or not. I can guarantee you it wasn't shot in 1080p though cause its way too old for that.

Dreamworks would do well to release a lot of films. American Beauty is the first one that pops to mind.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ahh, that's an excellent point, I'm not sure if it was shot on film or not. I can guarantee you it wasn't shot in 1080p though cause its way too old for that.

Dreamworks would do well to release a lot of films. American Beauty is the first one that pops to mind.[/QUOTE]

No doubt about Dreamworks. Almost none of their stuff has been released on either. "Eurotrip" and "Road Trip" would be great to see as well as "Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy".
I don't understand why Universal hasn't released any of the Hitchcock films they have.

Still got some stuff for trade if anyone's interested. 1:1 only.

FT:
-Silent Hill (BR) SEALED
-The Omen (BR)
-X-Men: Last Stand (BR)
-Polar Express (HD)

Want:
-Kingdom of Heaven (BR)
-ATL (either)
-Memento (BR)
-Crank (BR)
-Chronicles of Riddick (HD) ((PENDING))
-Unforgiven (BR)
-Swordfish (BR)
-Slither (HD)
-Pearl Harbor (BR)
-xXx (BR)
-Pulse (HD)
-The Thing (HD)
-The Mummy (HD)
-The Mummy Returns (HD) ((PENDING))
-Last Samurai (either)
-Casablanca (HD)
-Sky Capt. & World of Tomorrow (BR)
-Black Rain (BR)
-Red Dragon (HD)
-Resident Evil: Apocalypse (BR)
-Saw ((PENDING))

[quote name='cleaver']Universal releasing 100 or so movies in 2007
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070125/20070125006192.html?.v=1
Release schedule
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html[/quote]
Some of which are:

Day-and-date (with standard-def DVD) releases: 'Children of Men,' 'The Good Shepard' and 'Smokin' Aces'

Catalog releases: 'Scarface' (1983), 'The 40 Year-Old Virgin,' 'Bruce Almighty,' 'The Bourne Identity,' 'Meet the Fockers,' 'American Pie,' 'Inside Man,' 'Pride & Prejudice' (2005), 'The Big Lebowski,' 'Liar, Liar,' 'Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels,' 'Brazil,' 'Erin Brockovich,' 'Shaun of the Dead,' 'Dawn of the Dead' (2004), 'Slap Shot' and 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'

TV on HD DVD: 'Battlestar Galactica: The Complete First Season'

From the article linked in the post above this:

Among the additional new titles to be released in 2007 are the Oscar®-nominated Children of Men, the critically acclaimed epic drama The Good Shepherd, and the high-octane Smokin' Aces. Also on deck for release this year are such highly anticipated catalog favorites as Bruce Almighty; The Bourne Identity; Meet The Fockers; American Pie; Inside Man; Pride & Prejudice; The Big Lebowski; Liar Liar; Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels; Brazil; Erin Brockovich; Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead; Slap Shot; and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Man...not one film among those I want. Still, it's a decent variety of stuff I suppose.

Will be interesting to see if they get to their projected 300 titles (total, not just Universal). I don't see why they couldn't if they really do release 100 this year.

I'm curious what Scarface in HD will look like....I know older movies are hit or miss.

Hopefully we get ALL the American Pie movies in HD ;) Naked Mile, yep that deserves it ;)

[quote name='doubledown']I'm curious what Scarface in HD will look like....I know older movies are hit or miss.

Hopefully we get ALL the American Pie movies in HD ;) Naked Mile, yep that deserves it ;)[/quote]

I know what you mean about the older movies. A few days ago HBO HD had the Tim Burton version of Batman and I thought for sure it would look like crap but man I was totally impressed at the HD quality, it looked flawless. I wonder if that will make it to HD-DVD sometime this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back