HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Children of Men, Scarface, Eternal Sunshine, Se7en, and Battlestar Galactica S1 for me, hurry up Universal I don't want to buy a PS3

[quote name='doubledown']I'm curious what Scarface in HD will look like....I know older movies are hit or miss.

Hopefully we get ALL the American Pie movies in HD ;) Naked Mile, yep that deserves it ;)[/QUOTE]
It's usually going to just depend on how much effort/money they put into it. Casablanca, while not being a title I purchased, looks about as amazing as it can get. Meanwhile, Christmas Vacation (which I wouldn't buy either), from less than 20 years ago, looks like crap by comparison.

Scarface is one of their bigger-name offerings, so I'd assume they'll put a good amount of work into it.

[quote name='KaneRobot']It's usually going to just depend on how much effort/money they put into it. Casablanca, while not being a title I purchased, looks about as amazing as it can get. Meanwhile, Christmas Vacation (which I wouldn't buy either), from less than 20 years ago, looks like crap by comparison.

Scarface is one of their bigger-name offerings, so I'd assume they'll put a good amount of work into it.[/QUOTE]

I've seen Scarface on HD Movies, and it looks very nice. I'd assume the HD-DVD transfer would be comparable.

[quote name='doubledown']I'm curious what Scarface in HD will look like....I know older movies are hit or miss.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure it will be featured prominently on every episode of MTV Cribs after it comes out.

Saw Fearless last night--looked nice and sharp, but most importantly it was a great movie as well!

[quote name='doubledown']I watched The MAtador last night. Lots of bright colors...the movie was just decent though.[/QUOTE]

Its a decent flick, but HD-DVD isn't necessary. I'm getting my copy of Enter the Dragon today. Anyone seen it on HD?

Anyone have any problems with a disc before? Superman Returns will not play past chapter 12 it freezes constantly. I was trying to watch it yesterday.

Should have posted this here...
Ok since I havent seen this posted here before, here are some links for international lists which have some releases that are BluRay exclusives here in the US:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...php?t=29843791

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=249791

http://hdworld.iforumer.com/viewtopi...mforum=hdworld

and besides Amazon if you want to get some of these titles XpoiltedCinema is supposedly a great place to go when some of these titles come out I will be using them as they are based in the US :)

Happy Viewing

In case you DONT want to click on some of the links some of the "major" releases are Underworld:Evolution, Saw, Saw 2, and The Prestige

Also here are the Warner releases that are announced for France....THis may give you an idea of what is coming to the US :) the release dates are "off" since it is from France we may see some or many titles sooner rather then later....

Warner has released its HD DVD and Blu-ray slate for France.

Here's the titles from that list that haven't been announced or released in North America yet.

Note that some titles are released by Warner in Europe whereas they are distributed by other studio in America (such as The Island or The Prestige).

April 25
The Island

May
Flags of Our Fathers

June
The Prestige
Natural Born Killers
Matrix (IME) (HD DVD only)

July
Mad Max 2
Matrix Reloaded (IME) (HD DVD only)

August
The Goonies
Matrix Revolutions (IME) (HD DVD only)

Letters from Iwo Jima

September
L.A. Confidential
Blade Runner
Poltergeist

300 (IME) (HD DVD only)
Blood Diamond (HD DVD only)
Zodiac

October
Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
Sudden Impact
Magnum force
The Dead Pool

Music and Lyrics
The Reaping

November
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (IME) (HD DVD only)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire(IME) (HD DVD only)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (IME) (HD DVD only)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (IME) (HD DVD only)

December
2001 A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut
Ocean's eleven (1960)
Ocean's eleven (2001)
Ocean's twelve
The Shining
The Wizard of Oz

source for this was Warner has released its HD DVD and Blu-ray slate for France.

Here's the titles from that list that haven't been announced or released in North America yet.

Note that some titles are released by Warner in Europe whereas they are distributed by other studio in America (such as The Island or The Prestige).

Source was DVDrama and the post I foind this at was http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=796589

What's the "(IME)" at the end of some of the releases mean?

Oh, and hell yeah...300 is exclusive to HD-DVD? This is the movie still to be released in theaters about the Spartan warriors right?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What's the "(IME)" at the end of some of the releases mean?

Oh, and hell yeah...300 is exclusive to HD-DVD? This is the movie still to be released in theaters about the Spartan warriors right?[/quote]

yes that is the one :)

Anyone have any problems with a disc before? Superman Returns will not play past chapter 12 it freezes constantly. I was trying to watch it yesterday.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What's the "(IME)" at the end of some of the releases mean?

Oh, and hell yeah...300 is exclusive to HD-DVD? This is the movie still to be released in theaters about the Spartan warriors right?[/QUOTE]
I don't know how legit that that list is with the exclusives. One of the Blu Ray commercials has Harry Potter in it. But anyway that's a nice list and some good movies to look forward to.

[quote name='DomLando']I don't know how legit that that list is with the exclusives. One of the Blu Ray commercials has Harry Potter in it. But anyway that's a nice list and some good movies to look forward to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, keep in mind that list is upcoming releases that have awhile before they are out and it's for Europe which lends to it naturally being a different list from us as well.

My guess is some of special features (perhaps this IME) are probably HD-DVD exclusives, but not necessarily the releases themselves. I can't see why Warner Home Video would not release the absolute cash cow that is the Harry Potter on only one of two HD formats they publish for. Same goes for the Matrix films...

[quote name='flybrione']Anyone have any problems with a disc before? Superman Returns will not play past chapter 12 it freezes constantly. I was trying to watch it yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Check DVDtalk.com

I know there have been reports of bad discs in the wild. Usually, people just replace them and they work fine.

[quote name='doubledown']Check DVDtalk.com

I know there have been reports of bad discs in the wild. Usually, people just replace them and they work fine.[/QUOTE]

Seems like a bad disc. I found a thread on DVDtalk that is talking about the same problems I'm having. I ordered a replacement and will send back the bad disc when it arrives.

Thanks

[quote name='flybrione']Anyone have any problems with a disc before? Superman Returns will not play past chapter 12 it freezes constantly. I was trying to watch it yesterday.[/quote]

I had that problem with 2 Fast 2 Furious. It froze on two specific chapters every time. Exchanged it but haven't tested the new disc yet.

[quote name='cleaver']Also, the rumor is Nutty Professor and Eternal Sunshine 4/24[/QUOTE]

Can't say I'm surprised since "The Nutty Professor" was a BIG cash cow for Universal when it first released.

[quote name='DomLando']I don't know how legit that that list is with the exclusives. One of the Blu Ray commercials has Harry Potter in it. But anyway that's a nice list and some good movies to look forward to.[/quote]

The reason why they are listed as HD-DVD exclusives is because this release list if from France. Its a totally different ballgame in Europe and Asia, thus HD-DVD discs that are BluRay exclusives ehre in the US. Distributions rights for movies can change from country and country and where in the US it may be a "dual" release in Europe it may be HD-DVD exclusive.

Warner has laready said that in the US that thier releases would be released on both formats. THis is for the US only though and not internationally.

E.T., Jaws, and the Jurassic Park films need to come out this year. Those are probably the heaviest hitters Universal has to offer right now.

[quote name='Sporadic']Anybody interested in the HD-DVD version of Nine Inch Nails - Beside You In Time, Amazon has it available for preorder for only $17.45

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000LXH3BK[/QUOTE]
I haven't been into NIN since I was in middle school/early high school (early/mid 90's), but something tells me this DVD will be pretty awesome. I may have to get it, especially now that I have my sound system set up.

[quote name='Sporadic']Anybody interested in the HD-DVD version of Nine Inch Nails - Beside You In Time, Amazon has it available for preorder for only $17.45

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000LXH3BK[/QUOTE]
I haven't been into NIN since I was in middle school/early high school (early/mid 90's), but something tells me this DVD will be pretty awesome. I may have to get it, especially now that I have my sound system set up.

E.T., Jaws, and the Jurassic Park films need to come out this year. Those are probably the heaviest hitters Universal has to offer right now.

[quote name='Ph8te']The reason why they are listed as HD-DVD exclusives is because this release list if from France. Its a totally different ballgame in Europe and Asia, thus HD-DVD discs that are BluRay exclusives ehre in the US. Distributions rights for movies can change from country and country and where in the US it may be a "dual" release in Europe it may be HD-DVD exclusive.

Warner has laready said that in the US that thier releases would be released on both formats. THis is for the US only though and not internationally.[/QUOTE]
Just to add to that (and you are correct), one of the really annoying things going on right now with US releases is Warner holding titles back until Blu-Ray functionality catches up to HD-DVD. We see a rare exception (Batman Begins already out on HD-DVD, it'll be a while before Blu-Ray's version is out), but for the most part, they are waiting until Blu-Ray gets updated to handle the IME features of HD-DVD. This plays into their Total HD disc.

Sigh.

I didn't know about Warner holding stuff back. That sucks.

I'm sure this is easy to find, but I'm headed out for a bit, so I'd appreciate a response for when I get back:

Does one side have better exclusivity as far as movie rights and studios here in the US? I'm not talking objectively, but more so in the number of studios supporting one format over the other. Is there a good listing online so I can see a comparison? Thanks.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I didn't know about Warner holding stuff back. That sucks.

I'm sure this is easy to find, but I'm headed out for a bit, so I'd appreciate a response for when I get back:

Does one side have better exclusivity as far as movie rights and studios here in the US? I'm not talking objectively, but more so in the number of studios supporting one format over the other. Is there a good listing online so I can see a comparison? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Blu Ray has more studios supporting it right now. What that will mean in the end only time will tell. Check out http://www.avsforum.com/
They have tons of info on both formats.

[quote name='DomLando']Blu Ray has more studios supporting it right now. What that will mean in the end only time will tell. Check out http://www.avsforum.com/
They have tons of info on both formats.[/QUOTE]

That's true but it would turn my stomach at this point to support Sony's once-again attempt at cornering an entire format. I will not support Bluray until it becomes clear that it will beat HD DVD.

For some reason I feel a vehement passionate need to support HD DVD just because Sony pisses me off.

[quote name='Ph8te']The reason why they are listed as HD-DVD exclusives is because this release list if from France. Its a totally different ballgame in Europe and Asia, thus HD-DVD discs that are BluRay exclusives ehre in the US. Distributions rights for movies can change from country and country and where in the US it may be a "dual" release in Europe it may be HD-DVD exclusive.

Warner has laready said that in the US that thier releases would be released on both formats. THis is for the US only though and not internationally.[/QUOTE]

Lionsgate seems to have no problem releasing their movies in HD-DVD in other regions. Its only the US that they seem to be holding back on. I'm thinking its the same reason as fox, the preceived notion that blu-ray is harder to hack.

[quote name='thrustbucket']That's true but it would turn my stomach at this point to support Sony's once-again attempt at cornering an entire format. I will not support Bluray until it becomes clear that it will beat HD DVD.

For some reason I feel a vehement passionate need to support HD DVD just because Sony pisses me off.[/quote]

I do know where you are coming from. I am going to import (if it is not possible to get the release here) as much as I can to avoid getting a BR player.......

[quote name='KaneRobot']I haven't been into NIN since I was in middle school/early high school (early/mid 90's), but something tells me this DVD will be pretty awesome. I may have to get it, especially now that I have my sound system set up.[/QUOTE]

I saw them in Pensacola a week before they filmed this and it was fantastic.

They have 3 new clips up on the teaser site. Love Is Not Enough, Closer To The Only Time and The Big Comedown

http://halo22.nin.com/trailerclips.html

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Lionsgate seems to have no problem releasing their movies in HD-DVD in other regions. Its only the US that they seem to be holding back on. I'm thinking its the same reason as fox, the preceived notion that blu-ray is harder to hack.[/QUOTE]

Actually someone on another forum mentioned Sony has a lot of shares in FOX.

[quote name='thrustbucket']That's true but it would turn my stomach at this point to support Sony's once-again attempt at cornering an entire format. I will not support Bluray until it becomes clear that it will beat HD DVD.

For some reason I feel a vehement passionate need to support HD DVD just because Sony pisses me off.[/QUOTE]
See I totally agreed with that a couple months ago. I ended up getting a PS3 the past week. I had the HD DVD drive but I wasn't to happy with it. It was a decent HD DVD player and great for the price but picture quality wasn't as good as some other players (which was expected). Also it hurts but a lot more movies come out on Blue Ray that I want. I like Universal and a bunch of there movies but it hurts when they are the only exclusive. I went Blu Ray for the amount of movies out and coming. I know there are a bunch of HD DVDs coming but Universal itself just isn't enough for me. Plus when you think about it $600 for a next gen game machine and a blu ray player is a good deal. I do plan on getting a HD DVD player in the near future though. It seems I might want to go format neutral on this one, even though I would hate to do that.

Dom enjoy being asked to pay through the nose for those exclusives, new and old. Some 2 year or older movies are costing $25-30 on BR when they'd cost $20 most likely or a little more on HD DVD. I'm thinking of the combos here. Even "Clerks 2" is $20. You know if that was a BR exclusive it would cost near $25.

[quote name='Sarang01']Dom enjoy being asked to pay through the nose for those exclusives, new and old. Some 2 year or older movies are costing $25-30 on BR when they'd cost $20 most likely or a little more on HD DVD. I'm thinking of the combos here. Even "Clerks 2" is $20. You know if that was a BR exclusive it would cost near $25.[/QUOTE]
I haven't payed more than $17 for a Blu Ray disc yet. I either get them online with good deals or find them used. I don't plan on rebuying movies either until they are a decent price. And I'm not trying to make this into a flame war of which one is better. I think they both have pros and cons. Like I said I will be picking up a better HD DVD player in the near future. Your comments though don't really make sense. You say some 2 year old Blu Ray movies are $25-30 and would cost a little more on HD DVD then $20. And then you said if Clerks II was on Blu Ray it would be $25. So that's really only a few dollar difference.

[quote name='DomLando']I haven't payed more than $17 for a Blu Ray disc yet. I either get them online with good deals or find them used. I don't plan on rebuying movies either until they are a decent price. And I'm not trying to make this into a flame war of which one is better. I think they both have pros and cons. Like I said I will be picking up a better HD DVD player in the near future. Your comments though don't really make sense. You say some 2 year old Blu Ray movies are $25-30 and would cost a little more on HD DVD then $20. And then you said if Clerks II was on Blu Ray it would be $25. So that's really only a few dollar difference.[/QUOTE]

First off "Clerks 2" is a new release, the DVD version came out in November and the HD DVD version came out in January and is now $20 as well as the DVD. I'm saying if it was on BR as an exclusive like it is for HD DVD it would be $25 at the cheapest instead.
"The Mummy" and "The Bourne Supremacy" are both $20 on Amazon and while one is more than a couple of years old and the other isn't they're both older, exclusive and fairly cheap. If these were older exclusive BR's they'd easily cost more. See where I'm coming from Dom?

I do see where you are coming from but if you are talking about Amazon there are a good bunch of Blu ray movies that are at that $19.99 price point that HD DVD doesn't have. Sure some are a little more expensive right now but like I said I won't be looking to buy those until they are cheaper.

[quote name='DomLando']It was a decent HD DVD player and great for the price but picture quality wasn't as good as some other players (which was expected).[/QUOTE]

That's...interesting. You'll forgive me if I'm skeptical, most users I've seen have no qualms about the picture quality. The only time I've seen griping about the 360's HD-DVD picture quality was in the questionable EGM mini-review of it.

I think a lot of the time people don't have their sets calibrated properly, that can make a noticeable difference, especially on nicer HDTVs.

Can't argue with your point about more movies you want being on Blu-Ray, though...there are certainly plenty of movies that would be Blu-Ray exclusive that I would want.

For me it's not a problem, I can still buy it on DVD and it'll look better than normal while upconverted. Having it in true HD is just the icing on the cake. That is, it's not worth another $500-$1000 (or more) to me just to be able to see the same thing in higher res.

Once we get a reasonably priced dual format player, or, if Blu-Ray wins, a reasonably priced Blu-Ray player, I'll get one.

Yeah, Blu-Ray still seems to be getting releases "I" want...but I have a Ps3 so it's ok. Best Buy is once again doing the BOGO on blu-ray also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back