HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever you do don't order the HD-DVD Xbox 360 attachment from NewEgg.

They didn't even put it in a box, they just slapped the shipping label on it and sent it as is.

I'm lucky as hell I was home today. The UPS guy was just going to leave it by the door.

[quote name='Sporadic']Whatever you do don't order the HD-DVD Xbox 360 attachment from NewEgg.

They didn't even put it in a box, they just slapped the shipping label on it and sent it as is.

I'm lucky as hell I was home today. The UPS guy was just going to leave it by the door.[/QUOTE]

For a second I thought you meant it came without any box - just a drive with a shipping label on it, and I lol'd.

[quote name='getmyrunon']For a second I thought you meant it came without any box - just a drive with a shipping label on it, and I lol'd.[/QUOTE]

I kind of wish that happened.

At least I would have gotten a good laugh at the absurdity of the whole thing before the anger kicked in.

hddvdwn8.jpg

I'm going to contact them tommorrow and see what they have to say about the whole situation.

[quote name='Sporadic']I kind of wish that happened.

At least I would have gotten a good laugh at the absurdity of the whole thing before the anger kicked in.

hddvdwn8.jpg

I'm going to contact them tommorrow and see what they have to say about the whole situation.[/QUOTE]

They probably won't have anything to say. Unfortunate though it may be, alot of companies ship larger packages this way, especially consumer electronic retailers. The only way they'll care is if the drive fell inside of some kind of size/weight requirment and they goofed, otherwise there's no policy or rule saying they have to put it in another box so they'll likely not care unless somehting was damaged.

hddvdwn8.jpg

I'm going to contact them tommorrow and see what they have to say about the whole situation.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's ridiculous. Like you said, its lucky you were there to accept it cause I can guarantee you it wouldn't have lasted long sitting on your doorstep.

^^^ That's nuts. I've bought stuff from newegg before and they've never done that to me with the computer parts (mobos and retail processors).

I'm guessing the larger weight made them decide to ship it "as is". I'm assuming you used their value/free shipping and not some expedited shipping as well.

Still that's lame and I would definitely complain if that happened to me.

If anyone is interested seeing more foreign stuff on HD DVD I suggest you contact Palm Pictures and Tartan. Tartan in Europe has already released "Ghost Of Mae Nak" on HD DVD in Holland with Dutch subs. Unfortunately I've heard of no English one's accompaning them.
Tartan also has the rights to Chan Wook Park's trilogy of films as well as "A Tale Of Two Sisters" and "Natural City" which is suppose to look like a Korean Blade Runner.
For Palm a big title which pops out to me is "The Eye".

[quote name='Sarang01']If anyone is interested seeing more foreign stuff on HD DVD I suggest you contact Palm Pictures and Tartan. Tartan in Europe has already released "Ghost Of Mae Nak" on HD DVD in Holland with Dutch subs. Unfortunately I've heard of no English one's accompaning them.
Tartan also has the rights to Chan Wook Park's trilogy of films as well as "A Tale Of Two Sisters" and "Natural City" which is suppose to look like a Korean Blade Runner.
For Palm a big title which pops out to me is "The Eye".[/QUOTE]

I've seen natural city, it's worth seeing for the eye candy but I can't recommend it as a buy.

Tale of two sisters is really good. Incredible cinematography. I have heard that it is also going to be yet another American remake soon for those two lazy to read.

That kinda sucks...although, I've had some larger electronics shipped in the retail box...like speaker systems and DVD players. Although, I think some places take PRIDE in shipping stuff. I received a receiver from Onecall.com double boxed.

The HD-DVD box is not really that big though....it's like a large shoebox.

[quote name='gunm']^^^ That's nuts. I've bought stuff from newegg before and they've never done that to me with the computer parts (mobos and retail processors).

I'm guessing the larger weight made them decide to ship it "as is". I'm assuming you used their value/free shipping and not some expedited shipping as well.

Still that's lame and I would definitely complain if that happened to me.[/QUOTE]

It had free 3-day shipping via UPS.

I could understand if it was a computer case or something but the box really isn't that big at all.

It's one and a half 10 dollar bills long and less then a 10 dollar bill tall (sorry but that's the only reference thing I have to measure it with)

I'm just really pissed that I paid almost retail value for it and the box comes all fucked up/covered in shipping stickers and sharpie markings.

Just got off the phone with them.

They gave me three choices.

I could either ship it back to them and they would refund me/pay my shipping fees.
I could send it back and they would send another one but they couldn't guarantee that they wouldn't ship it the same exact way.
I could keep it and they would credit me back 25 dollars for the box being completely fucked up.

Since it works, they couldn't replace it and I just don't want to wait a week+ for them to give me back my money, I just took the 25 dollars.

This whole situation just sucks ass and I won't be buying anything but computer parts from NewEgg in the future.

That's quite surprising they did that. I've ordered Logitech speakers (the huge set with 'woofer) and they managed to box it up even in really thin cardboard. Nice that they gave you options though on what to do with it.

Shit, I'd take the $25 as long as the player/remote/movie are all fine. It sucks that they didn't take care of it, but it's just a box.

Just watched The Departed - highly recommended. Very good picture quality even though the movie doesn't really lend itself to the eye-candy category. Definitely in my top 3 or 4 HD-DVDs so far.

Jaws has now bounced back to the "maybe it WILL come out" side

Kevin Smith (for some reason) is the source.

Now comes yet another indication that 'Jaws' may be indeed headed to HD DVD. Responding to rumors that Universal is working on 'Jaws 5' as a direct-to-DVD sequel, indie auteur Kevin Smith (and life-long 'Jaws' fan) said this to the online blog Slashfilm:

"Allow me to debunk [the 'Jaws 5' rumors]. I dropped an email to [Universal Studios Chairman] David Linde to ask if this was true, and he said folks are confused: there's an HD 'Jaws' DVD on its way, but no 'Jaws 5,' straight-to-DVD."

Smith also went on to add: "And if you can’t believe Universal’s top brass, who can you believe?"

Of course, whether or not Linde's email came after -- or before -- the HD DVD Promotions Group retraction and the subsequent rumors that Spielberg may not be too keen on having his titles hit the format just yet, we do not know.

I haven't seen this movie posted on here and its been a while since its been released, but I highly reccomend Lucky Numer Slevin I was just able to watch it (had it for a bit just got to it) and thought the movie was great. The picture was very nice. The only problem if there is one is that it is a voice centralized film and the 360 HD DVD audio bug hit me hard even though I was able to just turn the sound up and be ok.........

For those of you that care 40 year old vigin is up for pre prder on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000NHG7CK/panandscathed-20

For those of you looking for someone different in the HD DVD game this place is good to deal with and they ahve a few good pre orders up:

Blood Diamond:

http://www.hddvdworld.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16528&cat=249&page=3

Children of Men:
http://www.hddvdworld.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16765&cat=249&page=4

Happy Feet

http://www.hddvdworld.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16556&cat=249&page=7

Hard TImes
http://www.hddvdworld.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16791&cat=249&page=8

School for Scoundrels:

http://www.hddvdworld.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16570&cat=0&page=1

if you need an "insider" for help with our order post here:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=810

Also, Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD edition finally comes out next week (barring another last minute delay), so if you're a home theater freak it's probably worth picking up to get your set looking as good as you're going to get it outside of a professional calibration. I'm going to pass since I'm inbetween HDTVs right now (using my 24" widescreen PC monitor), but when I eventually get one again down the road I'll probably grab it.

hddvdwn8.jpg

I love NewEgg's prices, but I agree with you on how they ship things.

I needed a tiny CPU fan and they ship that tiny $2 thing in a big box seperately. And here they go not even giving you a box for your HD-DVD drive.

My main problems with NewEgg is they ship multiple things all seperately without telling you they split it up. So for anyone ordering many PC parts, prepared to be annoyed with many tiny boxes spread across 7 days.

[quote name='Ph8te']Oldboy has been released or is about to be released :) the only thing is there are no English subs...

Audio Korean 5.1ch, Japanese 5.1ch Subtitles Japanese
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ye-49-en-70-1f77.html

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TDHY-9005[/quote]

Pretty cool that they're bringing it out. But the english subs are a must for me. Play-asia lists some pretty good "R2" titles. Looks like most of the ones i want dont even have english subs (not to mention $47.80 is a bit much).

picked up babel yesterday.....maybe the would sell more copies in stores if they had some stock of the new releases...the majority of the displays at best buy and cc are older (imo) shitty titles...last week i went on tuesday night to get the departed at both cc and best buy and neither had them left in stock...i was able to pick it up on saturday...last night at best buy i got the last copy of babel...it was only 6pmish, and they had stacks of the regular dvd, you would think they would get some inventory to sell

I actually saw copies of The Departed on an endcap at Best Buy along with the DVD version and no Blu-Ray copies to be found (but they were in the "regular" Blu-Ray section obviously). I just about had a heart attack because the stores always push Blu-Ray harder. Well, that, and I had been shooting myself up with horse steroids for the past 3 hours.

TERMINATOR 2 HD DVD Preorder - $34 shipped!

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/terminator-judgment-french-release-preorder-p-11233.html

Word is from those who have seen preview clips is that it is signficantly better than the USA Blu-Ray MPEG2 release of T2. Price is $34 shipped, it is a French HD DVD that plays back perfectly in USA HD DVD players since there is no HD DVD region coding on titles or players at this point; subtitles are optional and it only needs to be set the first time you play it that you want english audio with no subtitles.

Terminator 2 HD DVD is encoded in 1080p24 VC-1 with DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio (Lossless). Can't wait! :D

P.S. - xploitedcinema.com is a very reliable site that many have praised in the past for getting imports from!

[quote name='Ruined']TERMINATOR 2 HD DVD Preorder - $34 shipped!

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/terminator-judgment-french-release-preorder-p-11233.html

Word is from those who have seen preview clips is that it is signficantly better than the USA Blu-Ray MPEG2 release of T2. Price is $34 shipped, it is a French HD DVD that plays back perfectly in USA HD DVD players since there is no HD DVD region coding on titles or players at this point; subtitles are optional and it only needs to be set the first time you play it that you want english audio with no subtitles.

Terminator 2 HD DVD is encoded in 1080p24 VC-1 with DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio (Lossless). Can't wait! :D

P.S. - xploitedcinema.com is a very reliable site that many have praised in the past for getting imports from![/QUOTE]

Oh shit son!

If I get paid soon I just might make an order of that and Running Scared.

[quote name='Ruined']TERMINATOR 2 HD DVD Preorder - $34 shipped!

P.S. - xploitedcinema.com is a very reliable site that many have praised in the past for getting imports from![/QUOTE]

I wonder if they kept the original aspect ratio which is actually closer to 4:3 than 16:9. One of the rare movies that is cut off on the top and bottom to fit widescreen in most releases.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I wonder if they kept the original aspect ratio which is actually closer to 4:3 than 16:9. One of the rare movies that is cut off on the top and bottom to fit widescreen in most releases.[/QUOTE]

The OAR of Terminator 2 is 2.35:1. While it was shot on Super35 which has an aspect closer to 4:3, the cameras have lines on them that guide the cinematographer and director to where the 2.35:! frame lies. Therefore, although the film itself is closer to 4:3, the director intended the aspect ratio to be 2.35:1 and composed the film accordingly. If it was shown open matte there would be huge spaces above and below the framed actors as well as possible mics & other props as that is not the intended OAR.

I might have to pony up for that T2 import, but I will wait for feedback. Some of those import titles (Total Recall most notably) have had issues with high-pitched sound, I believe due to PAL speed-up.

As long as the sound is fine, I'm in for sure. Hope the first film shows up eventually as well.

Universal HD-DVD 2007 release list leaked?:

April - The Good Shepherd, Smokin' Aces, The Game, The Jerk, The Hitcher, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Nutty Professor
May - Alpha Dog, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Smokey and the Bandit, The Hurricane, Skeleton Key, The River, Midnight Run, The Frighteners, The Big Lebowski, Dragonheart, Lost in Translation
June - Breach, Bruce Almighty, Liar Liar, Sneakers, Born on the 4th of July, Scent of a Women, Daylight, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Meet Joe Black, Mallrats, Being John Malkovich, Mystery Men, American Me, The Watcher, Bulletproof
July - Billy Madison, The War, The Wedding Date, Dante's Peak, Cat in the Hat, Dead Silence, The Bourne Identity, The Nutty Professor 2, In Good Company, Streets of Fire, Hot Fuzz, Sea of Love, Darkman, Shaun of the Dead, Deliver Us from Eva
August - Heroes: Season One
September - The Last Starfighter, Legend, Battlestar Galactica: Season One, For the Love of the Game, Knocked Up, Evening, The Getaway, Patch Adams, Cat People
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/Disc_Announcements/Universal_2007_HD_DVD_Release_Schedule_Leaked/498

The Frighteners & Heroes in HD-DVD :drool:

that is a long time for battlestar galatica...espically considering it is already running in HD on the universal channel

slim pickings for hd dvd...

it sucks that they totally getting wooped now..

i still cant believe they havent secured more studios

it has kinda halted my hd dvd purchases

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Universal HD-DVD 2007 release list leaked?:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Universal/Disc_Announcements/Universal_2007_HD_DVD_Release_Schedule_Leaked/498

The Frighteners & Heroes in HD-DVD :drool:[/QUOTE]

Oh, my wallet is weeping.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Big Lebowski, Lost in Translation, Being John Malkovich, The Bourne Identity, Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead are all must buys for me.

I'm kind of disappointed though that Dawn Of The Dead isn't listed.

[quote name='guyver2077']slim pickings for hd dvd...

it has kinda halted my hd dvd purchases[/QUOTE]
They're not "totally getting wooped." Why has it halted your purchases? HD-DVD could be dead in 2 weeks and the discs would still work fine.

I don't think I can bring myself to buy Mallrats again. I liked it years ago, but after watching it again about a month ago I realized how bad it was. Not like that film is a great HD-DVD showoff film anyway.

[quote name='guyver2077']slim pickings for hd dvd...

it has kinda halted my hd dvd purchases[/QUOTE]

Getting wooped?

1.8 Million PS3s have been sold and BR just barley surpasses HD in sales. How many HD players have been sold? Less then 300,000? Thats pretty damn impressive. With this recent list the Amazon numbers will be very askewed soon,.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Damn it BSG season one? We are in season 3 now, we need all 3 seasons released! :)[/quote]

Give it time they will come.....Remember we are looking at a fledgling format here in BOTH cases. The studios are not going to relase every titile that is just not economically sound. They will start with season 1 and the go form there, I mean look how long the took with the regular DVDs.

Universal has been following a "standard" release schedule witht heir HD DVD releases (sccording to Amir an M$ VP) this means that there will be slow months and heavy months (follow thier DVD release schedule). For TV on HD DVD you will probably see the same model (months in between releases)

[quote name='gizmogc']Getting wooped?

1.8 Million PS3s have been sold and BR just barley surpasses HD in sales. How many HD players have been sold? Less then 300,000? Thats pretty damn impressive. With this recent list the Amazon numbers will be very askewed soon,.[/quote]

before this thread goes to the crapper lets try to keep this thread on topic...about the releases on Hd DVD. It may be your personal opinion about sli pickings but so be it. Can we try to keep the HDDVD vs BR out of this thread.

i currently have

King Kong
V For Vendetta
Batman Begins
Troy
The Last Samurai
Million Dollar Baby

the damn HD-DVD/DVD combo ($30+) disks are killing me

[quote name='Ph8te']Give it time they will come.....Remember we are looking at a fledgling format here in BOTH cases. The studios are not going to relase every titile that is just not economically sound. They will start with season 1 and the go form there, I mean look how long the took with the regular DVDs.

Universal has been following a "standard" release schedule witht heir HD DVD releases (sccording to Amir an M$ VP) this means that there will be slow months and heavy months (follow thier DVD release schedule). For TV on HD DVD you will probably see the same model (months in between releases)[/QUOTE]

This is all true and dandy, and I fully understand the time it takes to compress film from masters to get on HD DVD.

However, I would think that since BSG is filmed digitally in HD, and is already being shown on Universal HD, it really should take a lot less time and effort than a movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back