HD DVD thread - Toshiba: HD DVD DISCONTINUED, REPAIR/SUPPORT CONTINUES, NO BLU PLANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Sarang01']Considering I plan on getting an SED at a 100" size it matters to me. And don't mention to me projectors, they're shit picture quality wise. I believe fixed displays will have always sharper pictures though.[/QUOTE]

SED is pretty much dead in the water IMO.

[quote name='Sarang01']Well I hear BSG is being presented in 480p on Universal HD but has been shot on 720p. Personally I'd like to know what idiot doesn't shoot these shows on 35 mm. instead. I want my shows at 4000x2000 if possible. Only if they can't afford 35 mm. film and have a choice between HD and VHS then HD. I mean even if the budget is threadbare and they might be able to do it, do it because it will pay off in the double dipping. I can't wait till 2080p is an option, then I'll be happy because film res. will be standard.[/QUOTE]

shows on smaller budgets? it cost a lot of money to film on 35 mm

[quote name='LinkinPrime']After all of Sony's BS about "Target choosing Blu-Ray over HD DVD"...Target now has the Venturer HD DVD player up for preorder through Target.com. The downside is that the player was expected to be sold at $199.99 though the $249.99 tag could be a placeholder price.
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-8/qid=1191321656/ref=sr_1_8/602-5966993-0459057?ie=UTF8&asin=B000W7O43U[/quote]

Target.com was never going to change, it was just an endcap in stores for Blu-Ray players at christmas.

[quote name='Sarang01']Considering I plan on getting an SED at a 100" size it matters to me. And don't mention to me projectors, they're shit picture quality wise. I believe fixed displays will have always sharper pictures though.[/quote]

[quote name='thrustbucket']I can't believe you just said that. Wow. What was the last projector you saw? At school science class? My projector throws out a sharper more vibrant image than any of my friends HD sets. That includes my uncles $7,000 70" Toshiba dlp, and my friends 70" Bravia. And my screen is only 100".

So you are essentially saying digital cinemas can't compete with the picture quality of fixed pixel set-tops?

Well I can see your logic is way out there, with comments like that, but I will just say that 1080p is more than enough resolution all the way up to 120-130". But it really depends on how close you plan to sit as well.[/quote]

i gotta agree w/ thrust. ive seen some swanky home theaters and they all used high end projectors. the screens themselves can easliy cost more than standard HDTVs w/ projectors costing more what most people pay for cars, e.g.Sony's VPL-VW50 $5,000 - DPI's Titan $50,000 retail.[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
if youre referring to something like an optoma xga projector which is mainly for presentations, youre probably right. but thats a very different animal than home theater projectors.

[quote name='Ruined']SED is pretty much dead in the water IMO.[/QUOTE]

If I can convince Canon it won't. I will beg Canon on their doorstep if need be. I refuse to go back in pq from CRT to LCD, Plasma or DLP. If you can find me a picture tech. that can match CRT like SED does I have no problems. My concern is the complete quality of the pic not imperfect blacks like all these new picture technologies are.
Propeller no thanks. I'd rather spend double that for a fixed display. I've always consider theater projectors inferior to home tech too. It's like having something high res. out of focus, even slightly. Take when you put in a pair of contacts or glasses for the first time with a new prescription and how clear everything looks. You don't get that with projectors, just fixed displays.

Pan's Labyrinth has been announced for December 26th.

protectedimageuh5.jpg

Exclusive HD extras are:
- Enhanced Visual Commentary: Exclusive high definition feature takes you behind the scenes while viewing the film (BD & HD DVD)
- Web Enhanced Features: Additional interactive features available through your HD player’s internet connection (HD DVD only)

Extras carried over from the 2-Disc DVD release and presented in standard definition:
- Video prologue by writer / director Guillermo del Toro
- Feature audio commentary from director Guillermo del Toro
- Marketing Campaign
- ”The Power of Myth” featurette: A discourse on the use of fairy tale mythology in Pan’s Labyrinth
- ”Pan and The Fairies (El Fauno y Las Hadas)” featurette: Del Toro unravels the intricate colour and texture coding present in all his work
- The Charlie Rose Show featuring filmmakers Del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
- DVD Comics: Animated plates present prequel stories for The Giant Toad, The Fairies, Pan and The Pale Man
- Director’s Notebook: Interactive menu pages access video pods that feature exclusive interviews with Del Toro – Lost Character: El Hombre de Madera; Torture of The Maquis; The Phases of the Moon; Iconography: Echo…Echo…; The Underground Kingdom: Miniature Construction; The Mill: Set Design
- Multi-Angle Storyboard / Thumbnail Compares
- VFX Plate Compare: Guillermo del Toro and The Green Fairy
- Galleries: Production Design, DDT Creature Design & Production Scrapbook

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news...Brings_Pans_Labyrinth_to_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD/1039

[quote name='Sporadic']Pan's Labyrinth has been announced for December 26th.

protectedimageuh5.jpg

Exclusive HD extras are:
- Enhanced Visual Commentary: Exclusive high definition feature takes you behind the scenes while viewing the film (BD & HD DVD)
- Web Enhanced Features: Additional interactive features available through your HD player’s internet connection (HD DVD only)

Extras carried over from the 2-Disc DVD release and presented in standard definition:
- Video prologue by writer / director Guillermo del Toro
- Feature audio commentary from director Guillermo del Toro
- Marketing Campaign
- ”The Power of Myth” featurette: A discourse on the use of fairy tale mythology in Pan’s Labyrinth
- ”Pan and The Fairies (El Fauno y Las Hadas)” featurette: Del Toro unravels the intricate colour and texture coding present in all his work
- The Charlie Rose Show featuring filmmakers Del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
- DVD Comics: Animated plates present prequel stories for The Giant Toad, The Fairies, Pan and The Pale Man
- Director’s Notebook: Interactive menu pages access video pods that feature exclusive interviews with Del Toro – Lost Character: El Hombre de Madera; Torture of The Maquis; The Phases of the Moon; Iconography: Echo…Echo…; The Underground Kingdom: Miniature Construction; The Mill: Set Design
- Multi-Angle Storyboard / Thumbnail Compares
- VFX Plate Compare: Guillermo del Toro and The Green Fairy
- Galleries: Production Design, DDT Creature Design & Production Scrapbook

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/New_Line/Disc_Annoucements/New_Line_Brings_Pans_Labyrinth_to_Blu-ray,_HD_DVD/1039[/quote]:bouncy: Hopefully Santa can make a run to my chimney the day after.

[quote name='guyver2077']whats so good about that movie[/QUOTE]

Pan's Labyrinth was my favorite movie of last year along with Curse of the Golden flower.

But only if you like Guillermo's other works, especially his foreign work like Devils Backbone. I loved that movie too, wish it would hit HD DVD. Hellboy was nothing special but Blade 2 was swell.

Nothing, in my opinion. Huge disappointment after all the hype I saw going into it. I liked Blade 2 and LOVED Hellboy so I'm not sure that director affinity had much influence on me here.

That said, a LOT of people like it, and it's certainly a worthwhile film (just not something that blew me away like I had heard it would), so it's definitely at least a safe rental.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Pan's Labyrinth was my favorite movie of last year along with Curse of the Golden flower.

But only if you like Guillermo's other works, especially his foreign work like Devils Backbone. I loved that movie too, wish it would hit HD DVD. Hellboy was nothing special but Blade 2 was swell.[/QUOTE]

Concurred!

It's not bad. It's a dark Fairy Tale and when I say dark I mean VERY bleak. I'll just leave it at that and let you decide if you wanna see it. I will admit it's a bit overrated.

It nails exactly what it sets out to be, a return to fairy tales of olden days, bleak and violent.

It really was a grand slam in that sense.

Check this shit out! :shock:
cea16_22.jpg

At CEATEC Japan 2007, when it was Universal Pictures' (Japan) turn to present on stage, a slide provided by Universal Pictures Japan seems to suggest that titles such as Babe, Back to the Future Trilogy, Casper, Extra-Terrestrial, Jaws and Jurassic Park are among the major catalog titles that will be available on HD DVD in the future.

This is possibly the first time that Universal Pictures/Studios had publicly displayed these titles to be among some of the future HD DVD titles.

Full article here. [AV Watch / In Japanese]
http://www.hddvdformat.blogspot.com/
I'd love me some JP and Back To The Future on HD DVD!!!!!

Linkin they better force CE3K if Universal has to give up the Spielburg for BR. After all he said none of his films would be exclusive to a format.

[quote name='Sarang01']Linkin they better force CE3K if Universal has to give up the Spielburg for BR. After all he said none of his films would be exclusive to a format.[/quote]

I know, that's what I've heard before...I don't know how it will happen but the above pic says its coming....its from a conference in Japan:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...005/ceatec16.htm&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8 Posted by Diabolo - Forum Member of HighDefDigest.com

Just watched part of my Galapagos disc Amazon/UPS just delievered. If you like Planet Earth, you'd also enjoy this one.

Same amazing PQ, very good story

Must have "Back to the Future" first. :D

I hope it has HD DVD exclusive extra's and more then that of the BR's. As for "Jurassic Park" it's fun but such garbage compared to the book in how they rewrote it for the screen. Hammond is not a nice grandfatherly character, he's a greedy sob and it's the grandson who is smart and thoughtful. In the book, the granddaughter is boy crazy for Grant.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Anyone get Galapagos on HD DVD (or Blu-ray). Any good?[/QUOTE]

5ish post up

[quote name='Sporadic']Just watched part of my Galapagos disc Amazon/UPS just delievered. If you like Planet Earth, you'd also enjoy this one.

Same amazing PQ, very good story[/QUOTE]

----------

I made a mindblowing deal with a trustworthy guy living in Japan. We are doing a trade where he grabs me Band Of Brothers 1-5 & The Machinist from a second hand store (which he assures me they are in mint condition) for around $100 after shipping and I'm going to buy him A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shining and Return to House on Haunted Hill from Amazon for around $100 after shipping.

Amazing and I should have them in my hand sometime around the 16-19th.

Jurassic Park sounds cool. I might wait or pass on BTTF as they might release some mega Trilogy set down the line.

Then again, I'm getting the Harry Potter 1-5 set though 6 and 7 aren't even made yet. :p

And here comes semi official news of the JP, BTTF, Jaws...etc rumor being false:
Marv Levy, spokesperson for Steven Spielberg, was kind enough to speak with us today regarding the recent surprise announcement from Universal Home Video Japan that Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park and Back to the Future would be released on HD DVD.

According to Mr. Levy, "There are no plans to release these titles on HD DVD. It was a mistake and someone inadvertently put those titles into a presentation"

Mr. Levy also mentioned that Universal will be making a public statement regarding this mistake in the coming days.

Blu-ray.com would like to thank Mr. Levy for again speaking with us regarding Mr. Speilberg's films and their future in the world of high definition media.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=568

Wonder why he's talking to Blu-Ray.com about HD DVD news though?

Because he has a pointless hard-on for Blu-Ray.

None of those are must-haves for me. Like I said, I'd buy a couple of them certainly, but it's not something that would make me buy a Blu-Ray player if they somehow were released on that format.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']And here comes semi official news of the JP, BTTF, Jaws...etc rumor being false:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=568

Wonder why he's talking to Blu-Ray.com about HD DVD news though?[/QUOTE]

I can't point to anything specific, but the tone of the piece suggests that they contacted him first.

The HD exclusives for Pan's Labynith have been announced.

Exclusive HD extras are:
- Enhanced Visual Commentary Picture In Picture (HD DVD and Blu-ray)
- Picture in Picture
- Linkouts (HD DVD only)
- Synchronized Storyboard and Art Gallery (HD DVD only)

Web Enabled Features (currently HD DVD only)
- New Line Portal
- Scene Shuffle and Share
- Polling
- Highlights
- Trivia

Glad to see they are doing the same as their parent company and releasing extra goodies on HD-DVD.

Goddamn fucking USPS! They didn't even try to deliver my package, they just left a note in my mailbox. I've been sitting here all day waiting for it. Guess Band Of Brothers and The Machinist will have to wait until tomorrow :cry:

On a happy note, I just watched Knocked Up and what a fantastic movie. I'm really surprised since I thought 40 Year Old Virgin was a giant piece of crap.

1st Transformers review (That I could find):

• Picture Quality - 4.5/5
  • Audio Quality - 4/5
  • Special Features - 5/5
  • Overall – 4.25/5
For this release Paramount went with an AVC encode on to two HD30 discs. This transfer is a keeper! The film grain is kept in check and the image is abundantly sharp. In many of the brighter/outdoors scenes the image really "pops" and is very vibrant. I saw no hints of macroblocking in any of the action sequences and also detected no noise during the viewing of this film. To me, this is the best video transfer I have seen for Paramount on HD-DVD thus far. There is a faint appearance of grain and softness in the darker scenes towards the end of the film, however this phenomenon seems to be present in most HDM releases and really is not a distraction. As far as AQ goes, I listened using the Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) option and it sounded excellent. The Center Channel presented the dialog in a clear and powerful manner, the Surrounds received consistent and accurate action and the LFE was used to perfection as it rocked my basement Home Theater. To me, this was the best I have heard of a DD+ track since King Kong. This release is also loaded with Special Features. I especially enjoyed the “making of” featurette which included some great interviews with the cast and crew. I also re-watched portions of the film with the audio commentary of Michael Bay, which for the most part was quite interesting. I also tried using some of the web enabled Special Features with my HD-A1, however I was never able to connect to the server. My guess is that the server does not go “live” until the release date of 10/16/07. In conclusion this is a very nice presentation, so if you are a fan of this film I can confidently recommend this purchase.
http://www.hidefpreview.com/Transformers.html

Gah....its killing me that I have to wait till Tuesday...I expected FYE.com to deliver early like they have in the past :cry:

[quote name='asianxcore']Can't wait until Tuesday :)

Man, I'm jealous Sporadic. I've been thinking about upgrading my Band of Brothers set to the HD-DVD discs .[/QUOTE]

I got lucky and traded with this guy from Japan. I bought him American HD-DVDs from Amazon and he picked me up some second-hand Japanese HD-DVDs. I ended up paying around $105 for the whole bundle. :bouncy: That's cheaper than HD-DVDs here in America.

My Smallville Season 6 shipped from Warner yesterday. A little unexpected.

Looking forward to Transformers, too. Time is zipping by. :p

I'll pop in with a few comments.

Transfer looks sharp and detailed. Sound is excellent, much more dynamic than the DVD's 5.1 track, and I haven't gotten farther than the desert sequence.

Disc 1's Transformers HUD is pretty neat. It's a pop up track that features information about the actors or Transformers or vehicles. Cuts in with picture in picture interviews with Spielberg, writers, etc. Not sure if they are the same interviews from the bonus features on Disc 2.

Disc 2 has all same bonus features as DVD. Easter eggs are all in similar locations. Transformers Tech Inspector is a 360 degree look at Optimus Prime, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Megatron, Blackout and Starscream.

Looks like I'm importing Reservoir Dogs from The Netherlands.

Tony told me it's going to be around $26-31 through his site.

dfwhdkh9.jpg

Coming November 13th

[quote name='LinkinPrime']1st Transformers review (That I could find):

http://www.hidefpreview.com/Transformers.html

Gah....its killing me that I have to wait till Tuesday...I expected FYE.com to deliver early like they have in the past :cry:[/QUOTE]

The scary thing? Thats a review from beatboy77 from AVS.

There are several other people who have reviewed it saying its the best HighDef movie on either format (Really? No need for 50GB, lol).

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=239

Looks like the movie comes with a slipcase too :drool:

transformers_HD_cover_full.jpg

as i expected amazon didnt ship early so im cancelling preorder and picking it up in store at bb...

anyone know if netflix has dve for rent? i need to configure my westy

[quote name='GizmoGC']The scary thing? Thats a review from beatboy77 from AVS.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that fuckstick is protected from on high there, he's a cancer on that community.

That said - dvdtalk has their review up, and aside from the "movie quality" rating, everything is 5 stars and it gets their highest possible recommendation.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30988

[quote name='GizmoGC']The scary thing? Thats a review from beatboy77 from AVS.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame that fuckstick is protected from on high there, he's a cancer on that community.

That said - dvdtalk has their review up, and aside from the "movie quality" rating, everything is 5 stars and it gets their highest possible recommendation. Not really a fan of that site, but their reviews are generally reputable.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30988

Can't wait for Transformers. The GPS tracking sounds amazing. Curious how they would have implemented this on Blu-ray if Paramount was still neutral.

Oh Warner Home Video.

I canceled the remaining part of one of my orders (A Room With A View & Galapagos) two weeks ago. Placed an order with Amazon for Galapagos which showed up last week and imagine what came today from Warner...not the pieces from my other order (The Wild Bunch/Best Of HD-DVD Vol 3) but A Room With A View.

No charge has showed up on my debit card but I'll be keeping an eye out. Their shipping warehouse is a fucking mess right now.

Apparently there is a glitch at CC where ALL HD/BD are ringing up B1G1 free. It may only be for $29.99 HD-DVD's. Hopefully this is good tomorrow also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back