Heavy Rain: Director's Cut (PS3) - $14.99 @ Gamestop.com [OVER]

DreamStinger

CAGiversary!
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/heavy-rain-directors-cut/97992

Normally $29.99 MSRP, now on sale for $14.99! Online price only, not applicable to in-store pricing!

For those not familiar, the included content over the original release:

* Complete, original game, Heavy Rain
* Heavy Rain Chronicles: Episode 1 – The Taxidermist DLC
* Heavy Rain Original Videogame Score by award-winning film and television composer, Normand Corbeil (16 tracks)
* New front-end menu and interface with built-in Move support
* A series of 8 “Making of” Bonus Videos
* Three Dynamic Themes (Heavy Rain, Heavy Rain ARI Forest, Heavy Rain ARI Mars)
* 15 additional pieces of new concept art
* 2 bonus Trailers (Thank You Trailer, Love Trailer)

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, it's happened to me a few times as well, mostly with older and not so common titles. The gutted games looked like recycled stock from other stores because of the stickers. I think one time they didn't even bother to reseal it.

The majority of the time, however, everything I ordered from gamestop.com was factory sealed.

Thanks for the replies.

I just grabbed SF AE to get free shipping. I wanted to wait for the tournament edition iirc next year, but can't find any filler. Oh well. Maybe I can trade it here in CAG for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, since I missed that $9.99 deal from BB.

Bah. Ordered the regular edition from Newegg for $15.

I guess I don't need the extra DLC episode. My time is limited and I already have too many great games to play.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']They unfortunately did not go into enough detail.[/QUOTE]

VyseArcad1a, I tend to agree. They should have done an entire issue on the corrupt cartel known as Gamestop. They seriously need to be taken down for the betterment of the industry.

"• GameStop. A Fortune 500 company with more than 6,500 stores worldwide, this video game software and hardware merchant has a laundry list of conditions governing returns and exchanges. And in the end, GameStop proclaims, “We reserve the right to refuse any return.”

After what happened with my PS3 controller order I'm not going anywhere near GameStop for a long long time, until something absolutely nuts comes along that I can't pass up, something I don't see happening anytime soon. fuck them

Hmm got a vanilla Heavy Rain laying around. May trade this in for some credit towards this purchase. Anyone what the TiV is for the vanilla Heavy Rain?

Picked out a $5.99 used Xbox 360 game filler (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2) and the used game had $0.60 taken off for being a Power Up Rewards Pro Member. My subtotal became $20.38 + $1.47 tax = $21.85

This appears to me as the cheapest way to qualify for the free shipping and pay the lowest amount of tax. Hopefully I'll be able to return the used game for a refund at a store but if not, it at least got an 87 on Metacritic so I could play it myself or give to a friend.

Would it be so bad if i bought an extra game to get the deal over $20 for free shipping and when it arrived i returned the extra game to gamestop for a refund?

im tempted to get this since i just got a ps3, but these types of games seem time consuming, rteminds me of alan wake. I'm more of an FPs/sports gamer, maybe inferior games but i'd prefer to put the money towards mlb 11, nba 2kl12, MW3, or maybe a kinect related game

i do have a $20 credit at gamestop from a mario galaxy2 sale like a yr or two ago

Ah, crud. Whoever mentioned upthread that PUR members got free shipping got my hopes up. Don't want to have to scratch around for another filler item to add to the backlog and pay tax, so I guess I'm hoping for Amazon to match. Not holding my breath.

[quote name='Avenged Crow']Would it be so bad if i bought an extra game to get the deal over $20 for free shipping and when it arrived i returned the extra game to gamestop for a refund?[/QUOTE]

I hope someone can answer this. I am planning on doing it too.

Here is how to submit the price to amazon that I posted earlier for PM.

[quote name='slowdive21']They may PM. You guys could start submitting price matches to amazon.

Do a search for
Heavy Rain: Director's Cut

and scroll down to "tell us about a lower price"
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='anbu-black-ops']I hope someone can answer this. I am planning on doing it too.[/QUOTE]

I don't see anything wrong with that.

I picked up a "sealed" copy at my local GS a few days ago. By "sealed" - an unwrapped game with a clear sticker on the opening of the case. At any other store this would be considered a used game.

Also, I believe this game is on clearance at Target for about the same price if you can find it. I believe it's not the Director's Cut though.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']I have received a "new" game from gamestop.com that had obviously been opened and badly resealed using one of their in-store plastic seal machines.

I promptly took it one of their physical stores for a full refund.[/QUOTE]

Just a few minutes ago, the USPS guy delivered my Gamestop.com order for "Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition", and I noticed the same thing! The clean, original shrink-wrap was removed, and a sloppier shrink-wrap was re-applied. I'm carrying this to a store today for a full refund.

So, as a warning to everyone: Gamestop.com isn't safe. Just like the stores, they also seem to re-package and sell opened/used games as new.

Man, if Amazon doesn't match I really am tempted to grab this. This game came out on Nov 8, so I wonder if that's long enough for GS to have only gutted copies remaining.

[quote name='Y2Bogus']Man, if Amazon doesn't match I really am tempted to grab this. This game came out on Nov 8, so I wonder if that's long enough for GS to have only gutted copies remaining.[/QUOTE]

I'd say you're running a risk buying from Gamestop.com. It's most likely the case, that the stores are re-sealing their gutted games and sending back the extra inventory to headquarters, where they'll be re-distributed for sale on Gamestop.com.

In any case, this is just disgraceful. I should have received a new game, because that's what I paid for.

[quote name='Feral Lynx']I'd say you're running a risk buying from Gamestop.com. It's most likely the case, that the stores are re-sealing their gutted games and sending back the extra inventory to headquarters, where they'll be re-distributed for sale on Gamestop.com.

In any case, this is just disgraceful. I should have received a new game, because that's what I paid for.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you completely that this policy is excrement. Someone should file some sort of legal complaint against gamestop and they should cease the practice all together. It's ironic that they'll sell an opened game as new, but they won't accept a return on a game that a customer has opened.

My thoughts on Heavy Rain though was, is 20 days enough time to have moved product to their stores, gutted them, re-sealed them, and then send them back to the home base for re-sale online? What I'm trying to do is play my odds of being successful in getting a non-gutted copy. I have no problem marching into a local GS and returning the game and making a scene if I need to.

I've walked out of more than one GS after they tried to sell me an open game as new. And the clerk always looks at me like I'm crazy for wanting a sealed game.

[quote name='Y2Bogus']I agree with you completely that this policy is excrement. Someone should file some sort of legal complaint against gamestop and they should cease the practice all together. It's ironic that they'll sell an opened game as new, but they won't accept a return on a game that a customer has opened.

My thoughts on Heavy Rain though was, is 20 days enough time to have moved product to their stores, gutted them, re-sealed them, and then send them back to the home base for re-sale online? What I'm trying to do is play my odds of being successful in getting a non-gutted copy. I have no problem marching into a local GS and returning the game and making a scene if I need to.

I've walked out of more than one GS after they tried to sell me an open game as new. And the clerk always looks at me like I'm crazy for wanting a sealed game.[/QUOTE]

That's a really good question. I'm tempted to pick up Heavy Rain myself, but given my bad experience today, I'm not so sure. But, the price is certainly fantastic.

And by the way, I didn't shop at Gamestop stores for several years now, for those exact reasons that you mentioned :). They're a very shady organization.

So is it bad to buy this from Gamestop.com with all the problems about shrink-wrap? Would they give me a non-DC copy with the box? Should I wait to see if Amazon matches it?

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']So is it bad to buy this from Gamestop.com with all the problems about shrink-wrap? Would they give me a non-DC copy with the box? Should I wait to see if Amazon matches it?[/QUOTE]

Well, I've purchased from Gamestop.com several times before and never had the problem, until my last order. I always thought that they were legit compared to the stores, but I guess that I was wrong.

If you really want it, go for it man. It's a good deal. Just be sure to inspect the shrink-wrap when you get it in hand. If the game is in a sloppy plastic with seams all around the edge of the case, then it has been re-sealed. But, if the plastic is neat, tight, and seamless, with a small flap at the front-edge of the PS3 case (the edge opposite to the spine), then you're good.

[quote name='Feral Lynx']Well, I've purchased from Gamestop.com several times before and never had the problem, until my last order. I always thought that they were legit compared to the stores, but I guess that I was wrong.

If you really want it, go for it man. It's a good deal. Just be sure to inspect the shrink-wrap when you get it in hand. If the game is in a sloppy plastic with seams all around the edge of the case, then it has been re-sealed. But, if the plastic is neat, tight, and seamless, with a small flap at the front-edge of the PS3 case (the edge opposite to the spine), then you're good.[/QUOTE]

Oh okay. What is the big deal about it though? Would they replace the disc in it with the GH version or what? Also I probably won't get it now due to having bought so much over the weekend (or if I get the LD on amazon for Infamous 2)

[quote name='ZeroFlame15']Oh okay. What is the big deal about it though? Would they replace the disc in it with the GH version or what?[/QUOTE]

If it's re-sealed, it means that the game isn't new. It was taken out of its original shrink-wrap and its physical contents were handled by a Gamestop employee (example: gutting the contents of the game at the stores, and using the case for display on a shelf where people can touch it with their messy hands). Of course, Gamestop stores will try to tell you otherwise, that the game is still "new". Their employees also have the practice of taking home gutted games on loan, and playing with them.

That said, I suspect that Gamestop.com is getting restocked by extra inventory that is being sent in from the stores. Hence, the reason for why re-sealed games are available online.

[quote name='Feral Lynx']Just a few minutes ago, the USPS guy delivered my Gamestop.com order for "Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition", and I noticed the same thing! The clean, original shrink-wrap was removed, and a sloppier shrink-wrap was re-applied. I'm carrying this to a store today for a full refund.

So, as a warning to everyone: Gamestop.com isn't safe. Just like the stores, they also seem to re-package and sell opened/used games as new.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this post. Combined with the shipping costs, this deal just isn't worth it. And Gamestop.com is just plain fucking awful for used games, already knew that. Shouldn't be surprised that they fuck up new sales as well.

Hmm.. I keep thinking I'm going to get this at a price point like this, but I'm not sure when I'll ever feel like I'll be in the mood to play this again (I rented the first time). Not that it was a bad game, per se, but... it's really more of a story. While I know there's different ways for it to end, playing the same scenarios out again in different ways doesn't seem that interesting to me. Maybe if it were from Amazon... =)

agh, i think i'll hold out till the holidays, already beat it and sold it, not sure if $15 is the price to go back into it again

If it comes rewrapped, I'll just got to one of the 5 GS nearby and swap it out for a really new one. Else I'll just return it.

I will eventually get this, but I already have the game and bought the DLC, thinking that after the GH version was released, that was it.

I bet we will see this on sale for $10 or less (or on clearance) sometime in the coming year.

[quote name='redmangoose']I was thinking that too.
But something tells me I'm going to end up buying the GH version of a game at one point or another. Trying to keep my new PS3 collection red-free.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='slowdive21']I could be wrong, but I do not think the Director's cut was issued in black label. (I hate the red cases too)[/QUOTE]
Me too on both accounts ... but I will sacrifice a Red Case for additional content.

This is the 3rd time I am aware of a Red Case having content not on an original or GOTY edition. The other 2 being Mafia II and Midnight Club: Los Angeles.

In those previous games, I did eventually replace the original releases with Red cases.

[quote name='Y2Bogus']
I've walked out of more than one GS after they tried to sell me an open game as new. And the clerk always looks at me like I'm crazy for wanting a sealed game.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about. That has happened to me so many times. Every time they look at me crazy I want to slap them. Now I just tell them I am buying it as a gift and then they shut up.

I will make sure to check the shrinkwrap on my copy of Heavy Rain. If they pull that stunt they will get that game right back. Oh I forgot GameStop can refuse returns for any reason they see fit. Now that you guys mentioned it there are a few orders from Amazon.com with strange shrinkwrapping. Guess I have to check them out too.

[quote name='DealHunter']Tell me about. That has happened to me so many times. Every time they look at me crazy I want to slap them. Now I just tell the I am buying it as a gift and then they shut up.

I will make sure to check the shrinkwrap on my copy of Heavy Rain. If they pull that stunt they will get that game right back. Oh I forgot GameStop can refuse returns for any reason they see fit. Now that you guys mentioned it there are a few orders from Amazon.com with strange shrinkwrapping. Guess I have to check them out too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Amazon stole the OnLive activation code out of two new (preordered) copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution for the PC. I told them, they sent a new version out that also was missing the code (also had the same mysterious shrinkwrap that I have never seen a game in...). So I gave the code to a friend and shipped it back and just told Amazon to forget it (everything else was there, and I wouldn't really use OnLive anyway).

[quote name='Feral Lynx']Just a few minutes ago, the USPS guy delivered my Gamestop.com order for "Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition", and I noticed the same thing! The clean, original shrink-wrap was removed, and a sloppier shrink-wrap was re-applied. I'm carrying this to a store today for a full refund.

So, as a warning to everyone: Gamestop.com isn't safe. Just like the stores, they also seem to re-package and sell opened/used games as new.[/QUOTE]

They did this crap to me like 8 years ago. Didn't even try on some of them.

I tried to purchase the game but I keep getting an error at checkout and can't speak with CS due to high call volume. This Game Stop transaction = Epic Fail.

I really want this game but I will just wait until new egg or amazon puts it on sale. This thread is filled with the same reasons as to why I prefer not to give gamestop my money. I also don't like how they harass you into trying to buy their magazine and how they try to make you feel obligated to preorder something since you came in the store.

[quote name='gorilladust']I tried to purchase the game but I keep getting an error at checkout and can't speak with CS due to high call volume. This Game Stop transaction = Epic Fail.[/QUOTE]
It took me over an hour to checkout on Thanksgiving. Try their mobile site ... much less traffic.

I BOUGHT THE DIRECTOR'S CUT FACTORY SEALED from Kmart for $15 on Saturday:

A factory-sealed Director's Cut has:

Fully red greatest hits case (NOT clear plastic).
The cover says Director's Cut directly under Heavy Rain.
The cover has a red Greatest Hits strip at the top (w/ blue ps move bubble on the upper right corner).
The manual does NOT say Director's Cut on the cover. The manual cover is black and white w/ red dots on a map.
Aside from the manual, there is 1 insert: the origami square.
There are NO dlc codes or any other inserts.
The disc says Director's Cut under the Heavy Rain title.

[quote name='gorilladust']I tried to purchase the game but I keep getting an error at checkout and can't speak with CS due to high call volume. This Game Stop transaction = Epic Fail.[/QUOTE]

I have had similar issues since last night trying to get this and now it looks like it is sold out.

bread's done
Back