Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

After reading some of the previews, I'm really excited for this game. I was a little unsure at first, but it is now one of my most anticipated games of 2010, right behind god of war and final fantasy.

I read a preview where the dude said he was mentally exhausted after playing this. Seems like the most immersive game to come out in a long time

[quote name='smiggity']I read a preview where the dude said he was mentally exhausted after playing this. Seems like the most immersive game to come out in a long time[/QUOTE]

Part of it must do with the dark atmosphere that pervades the game. I can't wait!

If you haven't pre-ordered the game yet and want it, this might be an incentive. You get the first release of Heavy Rain Chronicles.

A snippet so you don't have to read the whole thing:

[quote name='"PS Blog"']What exactly are The Heavy Rain Chronicles? Each Chronicle will offer unique, stand-alone, playable short stories featuring one of Heavy Rain’s main characters, and a storyline taking place either before or after Heavy Rain’s original narrative. Similar to Heavy Rain, each episode will offer a unique journey and different outcomes based on the players’ decisions and actions.[/QUOTE]

Participating retailers:
Amazon
GameCrazy
GameStop (online and in-store)

[quote name='Nirron']If you haven't pre-ordered the game yet and want it, this might be an incentive. You get the first release of Heavy Rain Chronicles.

Participating retailers:
Amazon
GameCrazy
GameStop (online and in-store)[/QUOTE]

Sweet -- glad I pre-ordered from Amazon.

Nice.

I knew DLC was coming from that last interview I posted. Just wondering how much content there will be in each one.

>>>Oh the EU limited version is coming with a DL code for this too.

Doubting we'll see a collector's version in the US too

But cool as that is, that’s not all. The Collector’s Edition also contains a voucher to download the following additional content from the PlayStation Store:

• Heavy Rain: Chronicle 1 – The Taxidermist – Experience Madison’s dangerous investigation in full, before it’s available on the PlayStation Store
  • The Heavy Rain Official Soundtrack – Recorded at the legendary Abbey Road studios, and filled with the powerful orchestral themes that form a key part of the experience of playing Heavy Rain
  • Dynamic XMB theme – Lend a little Heavy Rain ambience to your XMB

Last edited by a moderator:
They better give us that dynamic theme. I really want to get one to see, but I refuse to pay $3 or however much for it.

Well depending on what content does or doesn't get cut, I might end up with the EU collector's version anyway.

I HATE the prices for themes too.

[quote name='jrsmaster411']Have they announced if any versions will be censored yet? It's the only thing keeping me from pre ordering.[/QUOTE]

Negative. Not yet...

[quote name='jrsmaster411']Have they announced if any versions will be censored yet? It's the only thing keeping me from pre ordering.[/QUOTE]

According to a recent Kotaku article, the game will not be censored (follow link for full article).

De Fondaumiere didn't give me the impression that Quantic Dream had backed off. He said that much has changed in the four years since the release of Fahrenheit. More adult content has made it into games and more of it — not all — has been handled with class. The seriousness with which Quantic Dream wants to include the equivalent of R-rated movie material in a video game sold in America is now more permissible, the developer noted.

As a result, North American fans of the idea of playing a game the way a developer intended it to be played won't have to worry about importing in order to play the "real" Heavy Rain. It's coming to America, with no censorship attached.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Negative. Not yet...[/QUOTE]

I would put money on the guess that the reason we dont have a US release date is because of this issue.

I'll bet the ESRB wants to give this an AO rating and sony is working it out with them to bring it down to a M. You wont read about it in the news because a censord version will kill US sales.

From what I read on the PS Blog and elsewhere, it sounded like the episodes might be released simultaneously or close together, but separately, as it sounded like each episode was going to be $4.99. Maybe they'll do a $9 pack for the both of them, but they made it sound like they were going to sell them separately.

Just got an e-mail from Amazon...

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on XXXXX

"Heavy Rain"
Estimated arrival date: January 12 2012 - January 18 2012

[quote name='Serpentor']Just got an e-mail from Amazon...

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on XXXXX

"Heavy Rain"
Estimated arrival date: January 12 2012 - January 18 2012[/QUOTE]

Pushed back for the PS4!

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']I would put money on the guess that the reason we dont have a US release date is because of this issue.

I'll bet the ESRB wants to give this an AO rating and sony is working it out with them to bring it down to a M. You wont read about it in the news because a censord version will kill US sales.[/QUOTE]

The minute I find out the US version is censored is the same minute I order the CE from Europe since it's region free.

Also did anyone get their GS preorder code yet? I've had Heavy Rain reserved since early Dec. and the PlayStation Blog said the preorder program started on the 18th, but my Gamestop has been so busy they can't find the codes.

[quote name='Nirron']From what I read on the PS Blog and elsewhere, it sounded like the episodes might be released simultaneously or close together, but separately, as it sounded like each episode was going to be $4.99. Maybe they'll do a $9 pack for the both of them, but they made it sound like they were going to sell them separately.[/QUOTE]

Whatever I read was wrong then. I think I'll still wait until I can get this cheaper even with buying the 2 episodes separately.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The minute I find out the US version is censored is the same minute I order the CE from Europe since it's region free.

Also did anyone get their GS preorder code yet? I've had Heavy Rain reserved since early Dec. and the PlayStation Blog said the preorder program started on the 18th, but my Gamestop has been so busy they can't find the codes.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you... censoring contents suck, but buying the CE from Europe will not help you on additional DLCs. The game itself could be region free, but not the DLCs. Unless the DLCs don't need the game disc to work, otherwise you have to buy European DLCs :(

I pre-ordered from Amazon for $48.73 (gold box and ECA, when it was alive back then).

[quote name='Serpentor']I agree with you... censoring contents suck, but buying the CE from Europe will not help you on additional DLCs. The game itself could be region free, but not the DLCs. Unless the DLCs don't need the game disc to work, otherwise you have to buy European DLCs :(

I pre-ordered from Amazon for $48.73 (gold box and ECA, when it was alive back then).[/QUOTE]

That is the only thing that might stop someone from importing. Just like any other game... Just having a "complete experience" is actually important enough for some to not worry about that. If push comes to show there is always a way to figure out how to grab the downloadable content.

European game officially has NO CUTS and a sturdy rating thanks to the British Board of Film Classification now.

Come on ESRB... If this only got a 15 over there, it should be okay here, right?? hah. >>>wow keeps cutting last part. I think the PEGI rating is higher though for rest of europe, think at least 18 but can't find link.

[quote name='NamPaehc']That is the only thing that might stop someone from importing. Just like any other game... Just having a "complete experience" is actually important enough for some to not worry about that. If push comes to show there is always a way to figure out how to grab the downloadable content.

European game officially has NO CUTS and a sturdy rating thanks to the British Board of Film Classification now.

Come on ESRB... If this only got a 15 over there, it should be okay here, right?? hah. >>>wow keeps cutting last part. I think the PEGI rating is higher though for rest of europe, think at least 18 but can't find link.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read everything about the game up-to-date. The censoring you mentioned, is it really a cut or a replacement? Personally, i don't mind if the woman is wearing bra vs. naked, but if the scene is removed, that's a different story... Also, dropping f-bombs in the dialogue is fine with me too. They might take the personality away from certain characters, but i don't have a problem with that. It's sort of watching watered down version of Sopranos, but it doesn't really bother me. Are there examples of what's being censored? Thanks in advance.

The piece on this in QORE was REALLY impressive. This game went from being an "on my radar, but not really interested" to a day one pre-order purchase.

I think one of those $5 dlc episodes should be turned into a demo. I liked Indigo Prophecy but I'm not sure whether I want to buy this right away.

[quote name='Dahk']Awesome! Amazon needs to fix their release date now :)[/QUOTE]

Amazon had the 2/23 date listed when I made my post..

just pre-ordered my copy. can't wait. febuary is going to be a pretty sweet month for games. Dante's Inferno, Bioshock 2, and now heavy rain. my wallet is already hurting. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Serpentor']I haven't read everything about the game up-to-date. The censoring you mentioned, is it really a cut or a replacement? Personally, i don't mind if the woman is wearing bra vs. naked, but if the scene is removed, that's a different story... Also, dropping f-bombs in the dialogue is fine with me too. They might take the personality away from certain characters, but i don't have a problem with that. It's sort of watching watered down version of Sopranos, but it doesn't really bother me. Are there examples of what's being censored? Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Well there hasn't been any censoring or cut of scenes in any way in the territories I mentioned.

Not sure what'll happen in the US, but this was posted on the PS blog in response to US censorship.

It won’t! Quantic Dream did a fantastic job of maintaining the game’s integrity across all our territories.

Nothing concrete but looks to me that they might have tweaked certain things for the different regions. Which is to be expected... but how much was changed or left out (if anything at all), who knows...

That is all I need to know to finally bite and get my order in on which version I'm interested in.

Just got an e-mail from Amazon...
Hello from Amazon.com.

We are writing about the order you placed on xxxx. The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected:

"Heavy Rain"
Previous estimated arrival date: January 12 2012 - January 18 2012
New estimated arrival date: March 08 2010 - March 12 2010

Hi folks!
Some of you surfing around yesterday might have stumbled upon what might be the US packfront. We just wanted to drop a note to everyone confirming that the below, is indeed, the US packfront for Heavy Rain:

We’re also able to confirm Heavy Rain’s final ESRB rating has come in at a strong M for Blood, Intense Violence, Nudity, Sexual Content, Strong Language and Use of Drugs. And for those of you who have asked, the content is exactly the same as what’s being released in all our territories, so you’ll get to enjoy it exactly as Quantic Dream intended.
We’ll have much more in the coming days as we get closer to launch, so keep an eye out on the Blog for more information on one of PlayStation’s hottest titles of 2010!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/01/introducing-the-official-heavy-rain-box-art/

No need to import

[quote name='NamPaehc']Wait. What... did the US just get the best box art for once??[/QUOTE]
According to the comments on the PSblog, No. I like it though

[quote name='jrsmaster411']According to the comments on the PSblog, No. I like it though[/QUOTE]

I noticed that too lol. The plain version they have in the EU might look good in the collector's version. Has some kind of rain effect on the slip cover, but the normal cover is to basic for me.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']FYI if you prefer the European box art the Sony blog has said they will release a high res PDF of it for you to print off should you so wish.[/QUOTE]

Which I guess is cool of them, since I don't think they do that for all games.

There is a nice, one page preview in Gameinformer #202.

A few portions:

Simultaneously intriguing and depressing...

Those who enjoyed the large variety of these activities in games like Shenmue are sure to have a great time exploring the different actions our character can perform.

For those who love the idea of interacting with a well-written and intriguing murder mystery, Heavy Rain looks to be in a league of its own in terms of presentation and atmosphere.

With so many highly anticipated games coming out in the early part of this year, I have to make some tough choices about which ones I have to get on Day 1, and which ones I'm willing to wait for a deal on. This is one game I will not even consider waiting for. The only reason I haven't preordered it from Amazon already is I'm not sure if they're guaranteeing release date delivery for this game. I've still got about $23 left on a Best Buy gc I got for Christmas; maybe I'll just pick it up there.

The official site is up
http://heavyrainps3.com/
You can register for something called "Four Days Challenge". I'm confused about what exactly it is but your supposed to get a free home t-shirt by registering which "will soon provide you with some 'exclusive access'..." This whole site is a mystery.

I did the registration thing and (after waiting a LONG time for the page to load once I hit accept) saw nothing but a 'Thanks for registering!' message with the option to return to the home page. I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't look like there are any immediately redeemable offers.

I'm super pumped for this game. I love the idea of not having to redo levels ever and just being able to enjoy a great story. February can't come soon enough :bomb:

bread's done
Back