Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

[quote name='Nirron']I did the registration thing and (after waiting a LONG time for the page to load once I hit accept) saw nothing but a 'Thanks for registering!' message with the option to return to the home page. I'm unsure if I'm doing something wrong, but it doesn't look like there are any immediately redeemable offers.[/QUOTE]

Think it all starts up on the 26th.

>>>
Let yourself be drawn deep into the world of Heavy Rain with 'Four Days' - a three-week online mystery beginning Tuesday 26th January.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviewed by Editor-in-chief, Tim Clark, it was his opening sentence that easily confirmed to me that this was another overtly ambitious title that wasn’t going to fall anywhere short of the high expectation surrounding it; “Having played and replayed Heavy Rain, I’m convinced it’s one of the freshest, most exciting, and even important games on PS3 so far,” before going on to state that “[he is]also convinced that a lot of people are going to hate it. Or simply be baffled by the fact that you spend quite a bit of time sitting around being sad.”

There is also plenty of praise for the control scheme, in which “Every action you perform in the game requires a corresponding button press, stick movement, or Sixaxis shake, from a simple tap of up [on the control stick] to swig juice from the fridge, to a sudden jerk down on the pad to kick a door in, or carefully rotating the right stick to apply a bandage.”

Such use continus to diversify as the controls actively represent the difficulty of what the character is trying to achieve; “If it’s something phyiscally demanding – say, trying to clamber up a muddy hillside – you might have to hold serveral buttons at once, effectively playing finger Twister.” Alongside this, other sections will task you with performing actions as you race against the clock to get out of a situation. The developer’s interactive design ideas are to be commended, with Clark concluding “What shouldn’t be understated is how inventive Quantic Dream has been with the controls.”

The story’s pacing is also key and is perfectly designed to create an “exhausting, exhilarating, and, curcially, involving” experience. Player’s will also encounter “innovative twists on its core forumula right until the credits roll,” and the review continues to describe various elements and encounters within the title.

In conclusion, Clark writes “Certainly there’s nothing quite like it on PS3, or indeed any other system. Put gaming conventions aside, go in with no expectations other than this is something new and massively good-looking, and you’ll be rewarded with a unique experience that lurches between genius and madness, manages to be genuinely emotional, and that you’ll be bursting to talk about with your friends.”

The title is awarded a coveted Gold Star, and an incredibly respectable 9/10.

Sauce 1
Sauce 2 (has a mini-scan of the score)

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']So is the Amazon pre-order deal with the free extra DLC chapter pretty much the only deal for this game right now?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the free DLC is for those who pre-order. So you can get it else where (like gamestop), not just Amazon.

[quote name='Serpentor']Oh yes, there's a free DLC chapter one, Taxidermist if you pre-order from Amazon. SWEET![/QUOTE]

The wording is a little misleading on their site, the content is not exclusive to Amazon. You can get it by pre-ordering at the other retailers also. So don't feel like you are locked to Amazon if you want the 1st "prequel" story for free.

9/10 at OPM, like mentioned before. Course it is a PS mag... The have some portions of it here though.

OPM41_cover--article_image.jpg

Also a new bundle was reveailed for France (Quantic Dream's HQ).

A new PS3 bundle has been unveiled for France, a Heavy Rain bundle will be released on February 24. The PlayStation 3 bundle will include a 250 GB PS3 Slim and a standard Heavy Rain copy, all for 349 Euros ($498/£304). Check out the bundle below:

WOW! people around the net actually like box going to Japan BETTER? Its to creepy for me lol...

Anyway some details on the DLC:

Heavy Rain has you taking control of a number of playable characters. However, the game will only put you in the shoes of the heroes tracking down the elusive "Origami Killer." In an interview with French site gameblog.fr, game director David Cage revealed that players will be able to play as the villain in an upcoming DLC episode of the Heavy Rain Chronicles.

Other episodes of the Heavy Rain Chronicles will serve as prequels to the main game. For example, the already-revealed taxidermist scene will explain why Madison Paige is an insomniac. Additional episodes will focus on the other characters in the game, with another revealing how Norman Jayden became addicted to drugs.

The taxidermist episode will be about an hour long, and it's likely all future episodes will be as well. Cage didn't go into details on when the episodes will be delivered or how they will be priced. Depending on the success of these episodes, Quantic Dream may want to pursue even more prequel stories, considering a sequel simply doesn't seem likely.

I thought pricing was set at $4.99 an episode, will check into that. But for 1 hour of gamepay, I'm not sure I'll bite past the first one (which is FREE with pre-ordering =D ). What do ya'll think??

[quote name='NamPaehc']I thought pricing was set at $4.99 an episode, will check into that. But for 1 hour of gamepay, I'm not sure I'll bite past the first one (which is FREE with pre-ordering =D ). What do ya'll think??[/QUOTE]

I'll probably pick them up if they're $4.99 a piece. However, I'll wait initially in hopes that they announce some form of a bundle, preferably at a discounted rate.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Japanese box art, are we feeling better about the US one now? LOL.

100120040945Heavy_Rain_Japanese_box_art.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Could care less about what's on the cover that will be sitting on a shelf where I will never see it!

What are you people talking about. The Japanese boxart is the least awful one, by far.

I still don't give a shit about this, the world's biggest QTE. Damned non-games.

[quote name='J7.']Could care less about what's on the cover that will be sitting on a shelf where I will never see it![/QUOTE]

Not if you have friends borrowing it :)

I think the Japanese box art is pretty cool, hey, it's disturbing... Can anyone translate the Japanese words/characters on the box? Is it really Heavy Rain? I can only recognize one word/character, heart (played enough JRPG to know that by now), which has nothing to do with Heavy or Rain.

Looks like they're starting the first of three Four Day challenges today. Got an e-mail about it today linking to http://www.heavyrainps3.com/rainisfalling.

Apparently today is simply 'observation.' For anyone not really wanting to put the pieces together via the site -
it's an anagram for a twitter account, @perfectfolds.

I have to admit that this is a pretty neat little promotion. Perhaps it's because of my minimalist nature in a lot of things, but I much prefer stuff like this (little contests, not necessarily the venue used) to something like plastering your game all over some limited theme Mountain Dew :p

[quote name='Nirron']Looks like they're starting the first of three Four Day challenges today. Got an e-mail about it today linking to http://www.heavyrainps3.com/rainisfalling.

Apparently today is simply 'observation.' For anyone not really wanting to put the pieces together via the site -
it's an anagram for a twitter account, @perfectfolds.

I have to admit that this is a pretty neat little promotion. Perhaps it's because of my minimalist nature in a lot of things, but I much prefer stuff like this to something like plastering your game all over some limited theme Mountain Dew :p[/QUOTE]
F! twitter promotions/cotests!

I don't think it's indicative of the final game at all. It makes sense to me in the context of a tiny taste to get people's detective abilities going for the real game. It's the kind of synergy that makes me enjoy Prof. Layton (puzzles + mystery = win)

Also, regarding the resulting unscrambling...
Is anyone else getting a Rorschach vibe from that Twitter feed? I normally despise stuff like Facebook/Twitter, but it's that abrupt and observant style that really reminds me of Rorschach's journal entries.

[quote name='Serpentor']I got this...

@FDOCSTE EPRLF

i hope the game is not like that...[/QUOTE]

You need to unscramble the anagram...

Yeah that's him Serpentor. That might be why I'm drawn to it, and I wouldn't really be surprised if he wasn't an inspiration for it. The Twitter thing was really just a jab at how most people use these social things for the most mundane stuff, perhaps best explained with this Penny Arcade comic (to be on the safe side, probably NSFW)

Man, I was watching the first nine minutes that was leaked the other day and it reminds me a lot of Shenmue. However, I hope they didn't go overboard with what you can do in this game because you're able to do trivial things like shave, shower, take a piss, eat, play with toy cars, etc. I mean, I don't like having to waste time doing certain things IRL, so why the hell would I want to in a game lol. I think half the appeal of Shenmue was that the setting is Japan, so in a sense it had a lot to explore culturally. Something more familiar as a US suburban town might take a lot out of the experience, but I'm willing to give games like this a chance.

The one thing that does bother me is the animations look extremely rigid and half the time characters are expressionless or look like they were done by the idiots of garry's mod. I really hope this doesn't turn into an episode of playing with Ken and Barbie dolls lol.

NSFW video due to language:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh8VfFH78jY

I think it will do alright sales wise. Pre orders dont mean a lot. Most people are waiting until the last week to preorder now to see who has the best pre order deal. I know I am, and I just have not had a chance to go preorder yet.

Too bad estarland is not getting any preorder bonuses.

Yeah, I wouldn't take much stock in the pre-order numbers. I very rarely pre-order games, and if I do, I do what Snake mentioned, wait until the last week to see who has the better bonus.

I don't think their sales will be gigantic, but it should do okay.

[quote name='Jodou']Something more familiar as a US suburban town might take a lot out of the experience, but I'm willing to give games like this a chance.[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting for a game with a setting like that my entire life.

Preorders are indicative of total sales though. Look at ME 2, GoW 3, etc. Much higher and much higher overall sales, despite not being gangbusters themselves. Maybe they'll make some decent cash on the DLC though. I was going to wait till this got cheaper, but it's one of my few brand new release purchases of the entire year because these types of games need to be supported.

I might buy it... I'm not sure.... the previews that I saw were exciting. I might just wait for the price to drop before I pick it up. I will pick it up, just a matter of when.

[quote name='Thongsy']Eh, I had it preordered and so did a friend, but we both cancelled it. I was interested but after playing Indigo Prophecy and seeing that Qore video I think I'll take a pass. While it seems an interesting concept, after watching all the videos it just seems much more like an interactive movie than a game. I really do hope the game does really well though, just so every game doesn't turn into some kind of action/shooter type game and this is trying something new and interesting. I really wish they would already release a demo so I can get a better feel for it and possibly change my mind on it.[/QUOTE]

A demo is coming FEB 11th. New trailer! http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/heavy-rain-gameplay-trailer/338745

I am interested in this but will def wait for a demo and the release to see how everyone else likes it. Metacritic has 2 reviews up already which are good but the wording is like "expect nothing and you'll like it." As it sits riight now I will still be playing Mass Effect 2 when this hits shelves.

[quote name='whoknows']Any word on if you can turn off motion controls?[/QUOTE]
From the first nine minutes I was watching, you use the sixaxis 'shaking' motion. . .a lot. I think this more than anything else will annoy the shit out of me, so here's hoping you can turn it off for something else.

I'd hate to think Heavy Rain is just a glorified Wii game with pretty graphics.

The invvestment in new technologies alone makes this a Day 1 purchase, especially since all CAGs are always talking about "support the developer" and all that garbage. I could care less about supporting a developer but I do want to encourage Sony or whoever to take more chances

What does it say?

Sell it to me when you're done. Seriously.
If you're allowed to, if so, PM please. ;)

---

Pre-ordered the CE from HMV in the UK.

[quote name='Jodou']From the first nine minutes I was watching, you use the sixaxis 'shaking' motion. . .a lot. I think this more than anything else will annoy the shit out of me, so here's hoping you can turn it off for something else.

I'd hate to think Heavy Rain is just a glorified Wii game with pretty graphics.[/QUOTE]
The story alone makes that impossible. ;)

[quote name='dallow']Don't ever believe vgchartz, every number on their entire website is factually incorrect.
I can't believe they even have the gall to quote pre-order numbers.[/QUOTE]

I do take them with a grain of salt. They give ballpark #'s and they aren't good signs.

[quote name='bluedotlounge']My media box came in with the review copy. Expect to see a ton of reviews on Feb 10th.

http://img4.imageshack.us/i/dsc01663c.jpg/

The box talks to you when you open it.

http://img697.imageshack.us/i/dsc01665r.jpg/[/QUOTE]

It's too bad it's not the sound of rain. A nice CE would've been a little clock that makes the sound of heavy rain.

I have gotten very interested in this game all a sudden. I hope it turns out to be worth it... I will probably be preodering soon... or maybe the day reviews go live.

bread's done
Back