Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

[quote name='smiggity']The new trailer is sick and should have a bit more mass appeal. Its on the PS Blog for those interested[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that trailer made me go from probably not... to a definite maybe.... :lol:

Crazy stuff is happening at the 4 days challenge twitter page, almost seems like it might be the killer. He posted this picture
60775198.jpg

I tried going to that picxaminer site and it's a fake site they set up. You can submit 1 photo for "picxamining" which will probably come in handy some time later in the challenge. I submitted the above picture and it says I should get results through email in 24 hours, I'll let you know if I get anything.
Here's the twitter page
http://twitter.com/perfectfolds

[quote name='Saint Noir']I have gotten very interested in this game all a sudden. I hope it turns out to be worth it... I will probably be preodering soon... or maybe the day reviews go live.[/QUOTE]
Sweet. I look forward to a dedicated thread and good conversation with some of the Demon's soul guys.

I have not got into twitter at all, so keep us informed jrsmaster411.

[quote name='Jodou']JFC kid, read the OP much?[/QUOTE]

For one, I am not a kid. Two, you can access the internet from many things other than a computer. I was on a slightly crappy phone at the time which makes it take 20 min to navigate back to the OP. It was easier to just ask the question.

Calm down tough guy. :roll:

[quote name='Snake2715']Sweet. I look forward to a dedicated thread and good conversation with some of the Demon's soul guys.

I have not got into twitter at all, so keep us informed jrsmaster411.[/QUOTE]

For real. I had a blast in the DS thread and would love to see some of the same people get this game as well.

I am waiting for review scores to hit in 10 days or so... Though, I have a feeling this game might divide a lot of critics.

Wow, that kid is all types of fail.He practically begs to be kidnapped and killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Soodmeg']Wow,
that kid is all types of fail. He practically begs to be kidnapped and killed.
[/QUOTE]

You fail.

Spoiler tags are great. May have to abandon this thread all together.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is that even close to being a spoiler? Kidding me here? Dont be so sensitive.

I dont know if the kid gets killed or kidnapped but in the video he seems to just sprint away from his dad.....God, I hate when people are so spoiler sensitive.

EDIT: If it was a big spoiler why the hell did you just quote it so now I cant even change it? Although it wasnt even close to being a spoiler.

I'll just say that the video shows a mall where there's hundreds of shoppers all interacting in realtime while you explore. It was definitely "next gen".

In the game you play as
4 people
trying to
figure out who the Origami Killer is.
Each of them has
a weakness (I'm guessing that the killer plays on).

You can have
characters die and stay dead.

The demo will allow players to play two chapters from Heavy Rain, featuring Norman Jayden,
an FBI agent brought in to help local authorities track down the Origami Killer,
and Scott Shelby,
a private detective hired by the families of past victims of the Origami Killer to find the serial killer.

Soodmeg they didn't want to know that much. We don't know what happened (what you said is guessing) but even so they want a completely fresh experience.

[quote name='J7.']I'll just say that the video shows a mall where there's hundreds of shoppers all interacting in realtime while you explore. It was definitely "next gen".

In the game you play as
4 people
trying to
figure out who the Origami Killer is.
Each of them has
a weakness (I'm guessing that the killer plays on).

You can have
characters die and stay dead.

The demo will allow players to play two chapters from Heavy Rain, featuring Norman Jayden,
an FBI agent brought in to help local authorities track down the Origami Killer,
and Scott Shelby,
a private detective hired by the families of past victims of the Origami Killer to find the serial killer.
[/QUOTE]

I cant tell if you are making fun of me or them? Either way....:D

That much? It was said 6 months ago that
the kid is going to die in some way.
Its the focal point of the damn game.

But I didnt mean to spoil anything but that is as far from a spoiler as you can get.

Also, I cant really tell if you are making fun of them or me with your post. Because everything in your spoiler tags would be written on the back of the box.

All I am saying is dont be so sensitive, yeah it sucks when someone spoils a plot point but people get so up in arms about anything linked to a game that hasnt come out. I sure there are a couple people who would get pissed if I simply said,
There is a killer in the game!!!!!!!!

While it's true that I've known for a long time that his motivation in the game is that
his son dies
, I just didn't know how or why. At least you were more vague than others but still, I know a little more now. Reading it over again, it wasn't too bad.

Can't wait to play.
I think everone here will have a different experience with their first playthrough. Comments will be interesting.

I'm not really upset. But I am trying to set a tone that this thread will require heavy use of spoiler tags.

I know very little to be honest... and I like it that way for this type of thing. I go into movies all the time without ever seeing a preview for them (I do usually go in based on a recommendation or skim review consensus). Works best!

[quote name='Saint Noir']I'm not really upset. But I am trying to set a tone that this thread will require heavy use of spoiler tags.

I know very little to be honest... and I like it that way for this type of thing. I go into movies all the time without ever seeing a preview for them (I do usually go in based on a recommendation or skim review consensus). Works best![/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Saint here. Sometimes its more fun to not know what your getting into at all. Others you may miss a lot of the underlying stuff or whatever. Either way i do this on movies quite a bit and sometimes on games.

It works about 50% of the time on movies. I normally enjoy games a bit more when i dont know what the whole deal is, provided its a game capable of fleshing itself out a bit.

I just thought everyone should know that the Titanic sinks, Snape kills Dumbledore, and this game has tits.

Great stonking tits.

[quote name='Soodmeg']That much? It was said 6 months ago that
the kid is going to die in some way.
Its the focal point of the damn game.

But I didnt mean to spoil anything but that is as far from a spoiler as you can get.

Also, I cant really tell if you are making fun of them or me with your post. Because everything in your spoiler tags would be written on the back of the box.

All I am saying is dont be so sensitive, yeah it sucks when someone spoils a plot point but people get so up in arms about anything linked to a game that hasnt come out. I sure there are a couple people who would get pissed if I simply said,
There is a killer in the game!!!!!!!!
[/QUOTE]

They didn't know how things in the game happen they only know they happen. I'd rather use spoilers even when they may not be required (some people know little about the game and don't want to know anything) than spoil something for someone. As I know how bad that can be like when someone spoiled FF7's biggest spoiler for me. A spoiler is a spoiler, it spoils. And yes I'll admit I was overspoiler tagging as I didn't want to upset anyone after seeing what happened.

The mall scene on gametrailers is so bad I can hardly believe it. Just listen to that dialogue, especially from the kid. Christ. Utter hackery, in the writing.

[quote name='Jodou']I just thought everyone should know that the Titanic sinks, Snape kills Dumbledore, and this game has tits.

Great stonking tits.[/QUOTE]

movie-spoilers-poster.jpg

[quote name='J7.']It does have a few moments like that but overall it looks great.[/QUOTE]

Agreed looking really good.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The mall scene on gametrailers is so bad I can hardly believe it. Just listen to that dialogue, especially from the kid. Christ. Utter hackery, in the writing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah..it looks pretty sitting still but is rough in motion. The kid doesn't even react to the father at all. Nothing and after the kid runs off the dad just buys a balloon and the kid runs off again. fuck paying for the balloon, go get your punk ass kid and beat his ass.

[quote name='Brownjohn']
movie-spoilers-poster.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow, I actually dont know a decent amount of those references. Care to list the movies they are from??

Starting at the top left and moving to the right:
Star Wars
Planet of the Apes
The Usual Suspects
The Wicker Man
The Crying Game
Harry Potter
The 6th Sense
Dallas
The Matrix
Fight Club
Psycho
Citizen Kane
The Others
Soylent Green
Beautiful Mind
The Villiage
Donnie Darko

I think that's all of them. I might have missed one though. Oh, and Dallas was a TV show, not a movie like all the others.

"Please dad can I HAAHVE one, I would really love to have one. Please dad c'mon."

The fixed-gaze dead eye syndrome is really extreme here. And I like how the game's idea of innovative storytelling is literally pressing a button to choose your character's emotional state. And that car thing at the end...seriously, how is ANYONE supposed to be able to take that seriously?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']"Please dad can I HAAHVE one, I would really love to have one. Please dad c'mon."

The fixed-gaze dead eye syndrome is really extreme here. And I like how the game's idea of innovative storytelling is literally pressing a button to choose your character's emotional state. And that car thing at the end...seriously, how is ANYONE supposed to be able to take that seriously?[/QUOTE]

So you won't be buying this game?

I can't believe how poorly animated this game is. For a game that is striving for realism, it's a joke how badly they dropped the ball here. I guess they're hoping it sells on hype and pretty graphics, because everything else looks and sounds like garbage. Why the hell am I still buying this?

Sam Bishop over at IGN absolutely loves this game. There's no doubt his review will be extremely positive. He calls the mall scene probably the weakest part of the game before it really ramps up.

Others who've finished seem pretty enthusiastic as well.
I've no doubts about this game.

[quote name='dallow']Sam Bishop over at IGN absolutely loves this game. There's no doubt his review will be extremely positive. He calls the mall scene probably the weakest part of the game before it really ramps up.

Others who've finished seem pretty enthusiastic as well.
I've no doubts about this game.[/QUOTE]

You have any links from the blogs or tweets or what have from the people who have played it?

They're not yet allowed to talk specific details. Embargo ends real soon though.

I'll post one of Sam's comments that I like when I'm not on my phone though.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']"Please dad can I HAAHVE one, I would really love to have one. Please dad c'mon."

The fixed-gaze dead eye syndrome is really extreme here. And I like how the game's idea of innovative storytelling is literally pressing a button to choose your character's emotional state. And that car thing at the end...seriously, how is ANYONE supposed to be able to take that seriously?[/QUOTE]

See this is my problem.

I love everything I hear about the game.....but when I see the game it looks like trash.

So on the fence about it, probably going to pick it up on principle alone.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Wow, that kid is all types of fail.He practically begs to be kidnapped and killed.[/QUOTE]

True, I thought it was a real fail of striking the sympathy chord.

[quote name='Soodmeg']See this is my problem.

I love everything I hear about the game.....but when I see the game it looks like trash.

So on the fence about it, probably going to pick it up on principle alone.[/QUOTE]

It's got two reviews on Metacritic in the 90s and the Official UK PS mag supposedly gave it a 9.5/10. So the game must improve significantly later on.

And about the kid (Jason), is something wrong with him? I mean, the way he talks can't be bad voice acting (QD's voice work was excellent in Indigo Prophecy so I can't seem them faltering that much here) and he seems to have a problem listening... I wonder if he has some kind of mental deficiency?

I'm really excited about the potential of the game but if even one of many things goes wrong (voice acting, animation, story quality) the whole experience is hugely diminished. The mall video looks they fucked up the animation, performance, and emotional effect on the player. I'm not ready to give up altogether because I'm willing to give them the benefit that they can succeed in those areas during the game, I just hope it happens more often than not. Really eager for the demo and will rent before I make up my mind.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Why are there reviews for a game that doesnt come out for weeks? Thats strange.[/QUOTE]

Not when it is a print magazine... they can review it when they go to press now or be a few weeks late if they did it next issue.

I watched the video after most people hated on it, I liked it. I did have some issues with it, mainly a man yelling in a mall and no one watching. I still think I will enjoy it as long as it tells a compelling story.

If you don't like the voice work you can just change the language and play it like a foreign film, I think it has like 7 voice languages and 10 subtitle. btw I got my picxamine results.
Hi PicXaminer User,

Thanks for trying PicXaminer! Unfortunately we found no hidden secrets in
the scan you uploaded this time.

To find out more about the exciting possibilities of PicXaminer, why not
click here and discuss your experiences with fellow users?
http://www.facebook.com/heavyrainofficialfanpage

Best wishes,
The PicXaminer Team

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

The 'For Love' picture was apparently the one that worked. Went to the Facebook page to the discussions, and one guy posted the result. Here it is.

[quote name='Saint Noir']You have any links from the blogs or tweets or what have from the people who have played it?[/QUOTE]
This is Sam's response to someone who absolutely hated the mall video seen above.

The Mall scene is easily the weakest overall from the early part of the game. The voice acting, the "logic" of what happens, it's all stuff that's pretty bad (and, coupled with all the comments about those videos some ass posted of the first few minutes of the game, makes for a pretty weak opening). This is stuff that the preview builds made pretty clear as the game quickly ramps up in quality of nearly everything by the time even those preview build levels were done. As for the full game... Well, February 10th can't get here soon enough. I promise you, there will be more discussions in reviews and once the embargo is up at length about how this game is attempting to push the medium in interesting new directions.

It's taking everything in me to just try to go to sleep instead of re-playing the whole game from the start and doing everything differently this time. I'm very curious to see how things will work out when characters are dead. Hell, I just want to see if I can pile on a bunch of early game fuck-ups to make a difference toward the end. The problem is that I don't want to ruin the illusion. The experience I had was so damn memorable, and half the fun is going to be comparing stories of how people got through the game differently because of their choices.

It does definitely seem like there's quite a bit of nuance to things; discoveries minutes and even seconds before some dialogue happens can make for more/varied conversation. It's really a nice touch, so it's quite possible that without actual dialogue breakdowns, some people may not even realize their games are different. That's definitely cool.

Oh, and the second "big crowd" scene in the game owns the shit out of the Mall, so don't worry.

bread's done
Back