Heavy Rain Discussion Thread

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Trust me when I say you gotta play through it at least 2-3 times. The walking controls are never quite as easy as just "pressing up on the left stick", but you do get used to them. And as it's already been brought up, they're like that for a reason. Anyone who can't get past it is an imbecile. I get that most people reject anything that is new and different, but it really isn't "game breaking" by any means.[/QUOTE]

No, it isn't game breaking. It is still clunky and of course you would get used to it with more play time. And yes, they are like that for a reason, much like (as mentioned) Resident Evil tank controls (but not as bad as you stated Vinny). I don't think that if someone doesn't like it or chooses not to play it because of the controls that they are an imbecile.

the way the character moves is diff but ok the only thing about it i didnt like was he odd way the head turned when you moved in a circle ( kind of how it does in gta4). i was hoping the demo would have that part in it weve seen in prevews where the guy wakes up and goes around his house doing stuff i think that as a demo would have wowed more people.

i was curious about the game before the demo and after playing it i cant wait to play the full thing. hopefully theres some replay to it ( outside of dling the extra chapters at a price). i hope youll be able to talk and interact with more people too. during the second part of the demo it seemed weird you could talk to/question the bystanders at the scene. the games got alot of personality though like a more adult shenmue.

[quote name='Saint Noir']I don't think that if someone doesn't like it or chooses not to play it because of the controls that they are an imbecile.[/QUOTE]

I mainly meant that if it's something that someone can't get past and it prevents them from enjoying the game. I just don't think it's anywhere near that "crippling" to the gameplay experience. And I kinda feel like some people are blowing it way out of proportion just to have something to trash the game for.

I really enjoyed the demo but I'm trying to understand the decision behind the walking mechanic. Obviously many people have the same gripe about the controls. They aren't too difficult but why would a developer go out of their way to design a walking mechanic that is clearly clunky. I don't see any benefit to it based on what I've played in the demo.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']I really enjoyed the demo but I'm trying to understand the decision behind the walking mechanic. Obviously many people have the same gripe about the controls. They aren't too difficult but why would a developer go out of their way to design a walking mechanic that is clearly clunky. I don't see any benefit to it based on what I've played in the demo.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was fairly obvious why they would use R2 to walk. Sure, it's unconventional as hell and takes some getting used to. But considering that so much of the rest of the games actions involve movements with both of the joysticks, it would be impractical to map walking to one of the sticks as well.

The other thing is, if you hold R2, and then move the left stick around, it controls EXACTLY how it would if they mapped movement to just the left stick. But if they did that, how would you turn your body to interact with objects close by? You wouldn't want to always start walking every time you press the left stick (like it is in Indigo Prophecy, which I'm sorry...is far worse). It's not that difficult to do, and is the same as any driving game controls. The way people on here reject the system, you'd think they were incapable of doing it.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']I thought it was fairly obvious why they would use R2 to walk. Sure, it's unconventional as hell and takes some getting used to. But considering that so much of the rest of the games actions involve movements with both of the joysticks, it would be impractical to map walking to one of the sticks as well.

The other thing is, if you hold R2, and then move the left stick around, it controls EXACTLY how it would if they mapped movement to just the left stick. But if they did that, how would you turn your body to interact with objects close by? You wouldn't want to always start walking every time you press the left stick (like it is in Indigo Prophecy, which I'm sorry...is far worse). It's not that difficult to do, and is the same as any driving game controls. The way people on here reject the system, you'd think they were incapable of doing it.[/QUOTE]
That may be but I honestly don't recall using the left analog stick for many actions, it was almost always with the right analog stick.

It's not a deal breaker but a little jarring which kinda took me out of the atmospher.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']That may be but I honestly don't recall using the left analog stick for many actions, it was almost always with the right analog stick.

It's not a deal breaker but a little jarring which kinda took me out of the atmospher.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you missed the point. If the left stick controlled only walking, how would you turn when you didn't need to walk? I get that some people don't like it. I'm just saying, get over it. You get used to it anyway. :)

The controls aren't too hard to get accustomed to ... if you enjoyed/played the Resident Evil series before RE 4, Silent Hill, etc. Or Indigo Prophecy for that matter. Needless to say, it's going to be another sticking point preventing this from being a hit game.

It will be interesting to see what the dev's response to complaints about the controls will be.

[quote name='MSUHitman']The controls aren't too hard to get accustomed to ... if you enjoyed/played the Resident Evil series before RE 4, Silent Hill, etc. Or Indigo Prophecy for that matter. Needless to say, it's going to be another sticking point preventing this from being a hit game.

It will be interesting to see what the dev's response to complaints about the controls will be.[/QUOTE]

Well it's already a MILE of a step above Indigo Prophecy. Those controls were downright terrible with the switching camera angles (Devil May Cry had a similar problem as well).

While I agree the controls aren't ideal, using the left analog like most action games defeats the purpose of this game, as it's clearly an interactive novel/movie and not a tradtional run-and-gun action game.

It's definitely purposely made this way to force the gamer to move at the pace the game wants to move at.

Embargo is up today. Reviews are starting to pop up.

I'm looking more at the scores and avoiding the actual text to keep as spoiler free as possible.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1067755p1.html 9/10

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/213908/heavy-rain/ 5/5

Destructoid http://www.destructoid.com/review-heavy-rain-163165.phtml 7/10

Famitsu gave it 37/40

MTV a less than favorable review.

Kotaku a fairly favorable review... read last paragraph...
"Heavy Rain is a strong effort by Quantic Dream, a game that doesn't need the constant killing and chaos that so many video games depend on to be interesting. This game may ultimately be a murder mystery and an exploration about the lengths to which players might push the characters they control. But it is, at its frequent best, a game about emotion and subtlety, a game that doesn't condemn choices as bad but instead allows them to be different, allows them to be meaningful and allows the player to feel. This is a game for grown-ups or anyone who wants to feel like one."

1UP http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3177883 A-

Last edited by a moderator:
MTV - "Well, it doesn't have crappy music from Soulja Boy or pregnant teenagers, so this game sucks."

I'd never take an MTV review on anything seriously.

Wow. Nice reviews. I really want to read them all but am forcing myself to stay away as I want this game to be as fresh of an expecience as it can be for me.

Just got a e-mail from amazon and they are giving me release day delivery for this game for free. Anyone else who pre-ordered this from amazon get the same e-mail?

[quote name='johnnyrocker360']Just got a e-mail from amazon and they are giving me release day delivery for this game for free. Anyone else who pre-ordered this from amazon get the same e-mail?[/QUOTE]

Do you currently have a subscription or a trial of Prime active? They'll usually auto-upgrade people to Release Day delivery if they have some form of Amazon Prime active on their account. Only downside is that it doesn't work on orders where 1 or more items don't qualify for Release Day.

Man I'm beat. I'm pretty happy with my review (kept it light on the story details because most people already know it)

Here the link: http://www.examiner.com/x-13269-Gaming-Lifestyle-Examiner~y2010m2d10-Heavy-Rain-review

Here's the text (click the link above to support my habit):

For the majority of those who end up following a particular story path in Heavy Rain, it will take about 20 chapters before those players understand the repercussions of their earlier actions. Many of these gamers will then be hit with the realization of how certain choices can significantly affect the events and outcomes of the rest of their playthrough. This will then lead some players to overthink their future decisions: "Should I drink this scotch, or will it affect my ability to hold my own in a fist fight?", "What happens if don't cook this dish correctly?", "Should I turn off the TV and send my kid to bed?". It is these types of reactions and anxiety-triggers that make Heavy Rain a joy to experience, even though not every decision has significant consequences.

The game does not deliver complex butterfly effect results that excited gamers might have fantastically assumed, but that does not stop the game's decision-driven gameplay from being engaging and thought-provoking. Many of the much-publicized "multiple paths" often reconverges by the end of the respective chapter.

The conversation-response choices bring to mind a streamlined version of 80's/90's PC adventure games where each response is assigned a specific PS3 controller button. There are times were a single reaction can significantly alter the rest of the story, while other times the game forces the user to cycle through all the reply choices before the story moves along on a very brief set path.

Heavy Rain celebrates beauty in the mundane. Right from the start, the act of engaging in one's morning ablutions sets the tone for what to expect throughout the game. Microwaves can be operated to heat up tea, a magnifying glass can be fetched at the request of an elderly friend, and pants pockets can be searched in order to find money to pay a clown for a balloon. Developer Quantic Dream takes this a step further by having a few of these seemingly minor actions act as the trigger to a significant event, except the player will not know this until after the fact.

These little things that are considered ordinary in real life extend beyond the game's interactivity. There's much to be appreciated in the awe-inspiring degree in motion capture both with bodily and facial movements. Detail-oriented gamers will smile at the sight of a woman's restless legs as she eagerly waits to speak to someone (such a motion would be edited out if it was any other game). Heavy Rain's older, more worn characters steal the show in facial detail. These well-captured puffy and wrinkled visages will most likely inspire other developers to incorporate more middle aged supporting (or even main) characters in their future titles.

While the environments might not have a similar level of detail, but they excel in their variety. Many large locales feature a mix of explorable space and narrow set pieces meant for chases and inducing claustrophobia. There are no fewer than 40 unique areas and range from confining tunnels to a multi-level motel. One particularly poignant setting involves a well-colored and depressing interaction between the emotionally lost Ethan Mars and his son Shawn, a scene that is sure to hit too close to home with a few single parents.

Serial killing as plot device almost seems underused in video games, which is one of the reasons why Heavy Rain will feel fresh as a game and as an unapologetic film noir homage to many people. The game's light bloom-intensive opening chapter (set in a house that ironically could be a premium version of PlayStation Home) provides the perfect contrast to the rest of the game's dark and depressing tone. As with any crime film, active minds will be drawn to solving the murders alongside the characters. These same gamers will find the red herrings effective and most will be impressed with an ending that will compel many to replay Heavy Rain immediately after the end credits roll.

Writer and director David Cage has maintained the implication of comparing Heavy Rain to films before games. It may not pull at all the intended emotional strings that a competent director could accomplish with a movie but Heavy Rain does often shine when good storyboarding, motion capture, acting and music come together. These become gut-wrenching scenes that many players will place alongside their favorite emotional moments in past games.

Composer Normand Corbeil, who had worked with Cage on Fahrenheit returns with a soundtrack that is sure to make many critics shortlists for Best Music at the end of year. The simple, yet somewhat somber piano arrangement at the start of the game will certainly be covered by many musically inclined YouTube users. It acts as one of the game's reoccurring compositions, assisting in the game's pace and cohesiveness. One reason to get David Fincher fans interested Heavy Rain is that a number of the darker scores could have be lifted straight out of Howard Shore's work in Seven and The Game.

What makes Heavy Rain fall short of being an unquestionable masterpiece is that it could have benefited from a couple more months of fine tuning. The game suffers from occasional screen tearing, though it is not detrimental to the overall experience. Even before gamers have a chance to IMDB-check the voice actors during the end credits, it becomes obvious to many players that many of the cast members were not born in the U.S. (this would not be an issue if it was not for the game's American settings). What results are some curious line deliveries that will draw a few chuckles (eg, the inconsistent pronunciation of 'origami', often vocalized as "oree-gammy"). David Cage also plays with a minor storytelling cheat in one particular event, where one perspective of the scene was played out as a visual lie in order to conceal the truth from the player (which is revealed near the end). There are also couple plot holes that could have easily been resolved at the end and many will suspect that Quantic would have fleshed out those scenes had they had more time.

One subtle positive about Heavy Rain is that its cinematic nature makes it one of the best social games ever made. When one considers how movie-going tends to be a group activity, where the appeal of a summer blockbuster is heightened in a crowded setting, many Heavy Rain buyers should seriously consider inviting non-PS3-owning friends for the initial playthrough. In both this review build and the preview build from last year, Heavy Rain became the centerpiece of two different dinner parties for this reviewer, where adapt players and non-gaming friends were involved and the controller was passed to another person at the beginning of each chapter. There's potential for amusement when viewers try to egg the player on to choose one action or another. Like any film, Heavy Rain's tense and dramatic scenes can be met with some very vocal reactions. That's how effective the game is cinematically. If the aforementioned dinner parties were any indication, any PlayStation evangelist should consider this approach if they want to help Sony sell more systems.

Heavy Rain is also an unusual title in that it will compel many casual players to hunt down the game's 57 trophies. A few are given just for progressing and some of these act as pairs--one is earned based on how the user acts in a particular chapter, whereas the other can be unlocked by replaying the chapter and making choices contrary to the previous playthrough. The game wisely withholds any trophy reveals until the next chapter's loading screen, so as not to break up the flow of the game. What also makes trophy collecting attractive is that the majority of them are earned through decision making while only a few require quick reflexes. Better yet, getting a number of trophies simply requires replaying specific chapters without restarting from the beginning of the game.

Beyond the trophies, Heavy Rain's progressively unlockable extras makes for worthwhile additional viewing. While not as in-depth compared to other titles, these bonuses offer some environmental concept art as well as clips from the motion capture and audition sessions. Players can also revisit the 2006 "Mary Smith" demo clip to see how far Quantic Dream has progressed in accurately depicting facial features.

Despite how unfamiliar Heavy Rain might seem, any skilled gamer should find the hardest difficulty setting a very fitting and satisfying challenge as their first playthrough. It delivers the right amount of heart-racing tension while making the player feel they have the potential to survive the game's numerous action sequences. It is definitely possible to get the game's happiest ending the first time around (as this and other reviewers managed to do) provided one's moral compass stays relatively straight.

For the skeptics who assume Heavy Rain is short on interactivity, here's a stat to think about: Not counting the game's 12+ epilogues, the longest time period that the gamer has to sit through a non-playable scene is 2 minutes. Even if the player is not engaged in a heated pursuit or a time-sensitive exploration mission, many will discover a zen-like appreciation for scenes where characters are simply "hanging out" whether it is waiting for someone or listening to another character.

Heavy Rain does its share in filling a void that much of the gaming community did not know existed. In a way it completes a decade-long redemption of the so-called Quick Time Event style of gameplay that was tarnished by FMV games in the 17 years between Dragon's Lair and Shenmue. Now this feature is present in critically acclaimed games like God of War I & II, Resident Evil 4, and Bayonetta. The way it is integrated in Heavy Rain feels incredibly intuitive. Orange juice cartons are shaken by shaking the controller, lock picks feel dexterously-challenging, and even the act of carrying heavy objects makes holding multiple controller buttons seem appropriate.

It is obviously that the gameplay and pacing will not appeal to a good portion of mainstream audiences, but it is still sure to convert a few of those gamers even if their default genres are first person shooters and sports games. If anything, Heavy Rain might very well turn out to be the biggest cult hit of all time, with the same fanatical following the Silent Hill series developed after the second installment (at least the cosplay will be easy for the fans). Equally important is that it is guaranteed to influence younger developers, some of whom are still too young play this M-rated title. Do not be surprised to see a successful developer at GDC citing Heavy Rain as a major influence 5, 10 years from now. In spite of the genre preferences everyone is entitled to, anyone who has an open minded appreciation for the medium should consider Heavy Rain required playing.

(This review was based off two full playthroughs of the game, having beaten it both times on the hardest difficulty setting. Various individual chapters were replayed as well for an approximate grand total of 22 hours. 35 out of 57 trophies were earned [52%]. PlayStation Network ID: oilywater)

Developer: Quantic Dream

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America

Platform: PlayStation 3

Released: February 23, 2010

I'm staying away from reviews, so I go into the game completely fresh and not knowing anything outside of playing the demo and knowing about the origami killer.

[quote name='J7.']Anyone else not play the demo and holding out for the full release? Metacritic currently at 90![/QUOTE]

I will be waiting for the full game.

Early reviews are good enough that I'm actually debating whether to play Heavy Rain or FFXIII first (I don't get much time to play).

[quote name='J7.']Anyone else not play the demo and holding out for the full release? Metacritic currently at 90![/QUOTE]

Yeah, no demo for me. Waiting for the whole game.

Glad to see good reviews coming in. This game is one of the main reasons I bought a PS3, and I have had it pre-ordered since September. Only a couple of more weeks to go!

Sounds like this game is excellent. I loved Indigo Prophecy except for the
sci-fi twist
but it sounds like this one doesn't pull that nonsense. One thing I need to know: Are there more events in this game like, for example, the diner scene at the beginning of IP? Where you have to do a bunch of things and it has drastically different results afterwards? Because IP had the in the beginning and I was blown away, but the rest of the game fell into a stream of underwhelming QTE events with the diner type stuff very few and far between.

FYI -- Heavy Rain is currently the #1 best seller at Amazon.com's video game department (includes Wii, PS3, and 360)!

Amazon doesn't sell much in volume compared to Walmart or Gamestop nationally, but it's still good to see that it's pulling in a lot of pre-orders.

Very nice to see the good reviews. I expected themto be more all over the place but even the worst reviews have pretty positive things to say.
Glad it's doing well at Amazon!
[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Wanted to know if this is the collectors edition from Amazon uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Was thinking about getting this since its region free, right?[/QUOTE]
Collector's Edition is HMV exclusive in the UK.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=308607

They ship to USA, total was GBP 47.49 for me.
Trustworthy retailer.

Yes, but only because I have no time to play the demo with everything else coming out. Still need to play BioShock 2 and try the BFBC2 beta, sigh.

Yeah I don't think I'm going to play the demo either. I already know I'm getting the game so why spoil anything more for myself?

[quote name='BigPoppa99']did anyone get the demo yet from psn?[/QUOTE]

A lot of us have had it for a few days now.

[quote name='BigPoppa99']I couldnt get into the website to get the code. Its supposed to come out today right?[/QUOTE]

I think PSN updates at 8:00 PM CST... so there's like an hour to go.

PSN is gonna be slow tonight.:lol:

Sorry, I was wrong. It's up now.

Last edited by a moderator:
so what is everyone's impressions on the demo?

my thoughts are as follows:

incredible graphics and sound.
i like the multiple choices.
the control system is refreshing.
definitely now going to buy this game because of the ability to play 4 characters and the replay factor with the alternate endings.

I'm probably waiting for a price drop and real player impressions. This is CAG after all. I've heard the first playthrough is only 12 hours and I remember getting burned by Indigo Prophecy even though I only paid ~20 for it. This game looks great, but Indigo Prophecy was a real screwjob and I find it hard to trust reviewers over real gamers these days. Anyone else feel the same way?

[quote name='etschell']so what is everyone's impressions on the demo?[/QUOTE]

I am very disappointed - I can confirm the demo DOES NOT support 1080i which means the retail game probably won't either. Add it to the list of PS3 games I won't be purchasing. It really looks like a different experience. Oh well, my backlog is big enough.

[quote name='javeryh']I am very disappointed - I can confirm the demo DOES NOT support 1080i which means the retail game probably won't either. Add it to the list of PS3 games I won't be purchasing. It really looks like a different experience. Oh well, my backlog is big enough.[/QUOTE]
Really, games being in 720p result in a non purchase for you?

bread's done
Back