Help Destroy a signed Jack Thompson book for charity! - video linked

I love the idea the buyer came up with, but I'd like to interject with one minor addition.

I'm thinking you need an eyebolt in the cement block, tie some fishing line or something non-biodegradable to it, and have a "floating memorial" if you will, so that anyone coming across the lake/pond/ knows exactly what is down there and why :lol::applause:

Not a bad idea but that carries the risk of someone pulling it out of the water, and I think I speak for everyone here when I say it should stay down there.

[quote name='Adm_SkyWalker']Not a bad idea but that carries the risk of someone pulling it out of the water, and I think I speak for everyone here when I say it should stay down there.[/quote]

Oh, I don't doubt that...that's why I suggested fishing line or something of the sort.

Then again, I'm thinking of a pretty hefty concrete block...at least a one-bagger, right? ;)

Just a quick update on whats going on with the video.

Production begins in about 2 weeks when friends of mine return from college - it wasn't too hard to get a crew for this it turns out. THe seller has made his payment already and the money went right over to the charity, with the exception of the shipping charge which will be used to send hin a finished DVD of everything. Everyone will get the chance to see it too as I will post the video on youtube and rapidshare.

Finally, as sort of a thank you to everyone here for the support, I'm going to give everyone here something:

[email protected]

Thats Jack's email. Feel free to have fun with the bastard. More updates will come as things progress.

[quote name='Autumn Star']How did the seller want it destroyed?[/quote]

Its the first post on this page actually - he confirmed it through ebay shortly afterwards.

Darn you and your few seconds quicker than me ways, Owl :p

[quote name='Visc']Just a quick update on whats going on with the video.

Production begins in about 2 weeks when friends of mine return from college - it wasn't too hard to get a crew for this it turns out. THe seller has made his payment already and the money went right over to the charity, with the exception of the shipping charge which will be used to send hin a finished DVD of everything. Everyone will get the chance to see it too as I will post the video on youtube and rapidshare.

Finally, as sort of a thank you to everyone here for the support, I'm going to give everyone here something:

[email protected]

Thats Jack's email. Feel free to have fun with the bastard. More updates will come as things progress.[/quote]

Jack's e-mail?! I know he's gonna regret emailing you now! :lol:

[quote name='Sejad']So this video will be ready in two weeks?[/quote]

It all depends on whether I can get all my materials together - I said I was starting in 2 weeks when everyone in my crew is out of college and has time to spare. So far I only need to get some cement mix (or plaster of paris if I can't find any), a tripod, and the assistance of someone with a shotgun - probably a relative or local law enforcement (for safety concerns). Other than that, I have my volunteers, I have multiple locations on the ready, I have an art kit ready to alter Jack into a prostitute on the book, and it won't really be hard to set the book on fire or bash it with bats.

Sounds good, can't wait to see it. But for those who don't know I'm shipping off to basic traing for the Army National Guard today. I just wanted to say good bye and I hope you enjoy the books destruction when you see it. I did this for all gamers not just for me. So have fun and wish me luck, I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

[quote name='Adm_SkyWalker']Sounds good, can't wait to see it. But for those who don't know I'm shipping off to basic traing for the Army National Guard today. I just wanted to say good bye and I hope you enjoy the books destruction when you see it. I did this for all gamers not just for me. So have fun and wish me luck, I have a feeling I'm going to need it.[/quote]
Wow, contributing to charitable causes, and protecting our country. You're an awesome guy.

Good luck with the training.

Visc - I'm glad this ended well.

Adm_SkyWalker - thanks, welcome to CAG, and good luck.

This video will be something to look forward to.

/planning to do a good cause auction soon
//may borrow Thompson's book from one of the libraries in Evansville for a cheap laugh
/// ...what?

If i would have won i would have wanted every page of the book to be cut into exactly 1000 pieces so someone better be glad i didn't win that book , can't wait for the vid and you better show yourself visc !

If I won, I was going to have Visc eat the book. But when he said he wouldnt do that, I then thought it would be funny to win the auction and tell him I wanted to ship it to me because I wanted to film and destroy it.

Then I would of gave him Jack Thompson's address, therefore making this whole deal negated.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']If I won, I was going to have Visc eat the book. But when he said he wouldnt do that, I then thought it would be funny to win the auction and tell him I wanted to ship it to me because I wanted to film and destroy it.

Then I would of gave him Jack Thompson's address, therefore making this whole deal negated.[/quote]

Already had a plan for that in case that did happen, so it wouldn't have worked anyways ;)

[quote name='mikeohara']can we send Mr. Thompson some ... stuff to that email?? or is that against the rules?[/quote] He probably posted it on a public forum for a reason.

I'm tempted to suggest just leeting the book burn a little bit so its somewhat charred and then partially submerge (perhaps up to the bullet hole) the book in the mix of choice. Then dump it into a deep body of water mafia style.

Guess I was more than tempted.

[quote name='iufoltzie']I'm tempted to suggest just leeting the book burn a little bit so its somewhat charred and then partially submerge (perhaps up to the bullet hole) the book in the mix of choice. Then dump it into a deep body of water mafia style.

Guess I was more than tempted.[/quote]

I rather like that notion, depending on how the book is after the shotgun blast, I may just do that. Also, the planned day of doing all this is now set to June 11, just before my graduation party - I figure I ought to make the most of that day.

[quote name='Visc']I rather like that notion, depending on how the book is after the shotgun blast, I may just do that. Also, the planned day of doing all this is now set to June 11, just before my graduation party - I figure I ought to make the most of that day.[/quote]

Isn't that when the DS Lite comes out? :D

[quote name='yukine']Isn't that when the DS Lite comes out? :D[/quote]

doesn't make a difference to me - my current DS has some rather sentimental value to me ;)

Quick update to let you guys know that, provided nothing comes up before then, the book is going to meet its end this Sunday. Editing the video may take a little while though due to my new work schedule, but I can probably post some screencaps that night. Coincidently, the other day the man in Miami made this a little more interesting when he was quoted saying in Louisiana:

"Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hit man or a video gamer"

You can probably guess where the target for the shotgun blast is now. (my uncle is providing his gun and taking the shot, so he's been proven wrong yet again)

sorry for the lack of updates

I'm finding that its rather tough to get a five person crew together when all their schedules don't coincide very well. Between that, a death in the family, my uncle's boss being a dick last weekend (when it was supposed to happen), and more importantly the weather being a factor now, things have been getting annoying. All supplies are still ready here and waiting, and now its set to meet bats, a shotgun, fire, plaster, and a bog on July 2. Everyone is getting rather impatient over here, and probably here on CAG (understandably) but I haven't forgotten about it. At least at this rate, our friend Adam_skywalker should be back from Basic Training when this is finished to thoroughly enjoy the video. I can at least add now that everything will be shot in a sand lot run by one of the local construction companies my uncle works for - its isolated, its safer than most other areas, and it should provide a good background area for everything - and I can raid the local swap shack while I'm at it for more free stuff.

I'm also going to ask this to any Connecticut CAGers who read this - if I can make this open to a small viewing when it happens - is there anyone who would like to attend?

[quote name='Visc']sorry for the lack of updates

I'm finding that its rather tough to get a five person crew together when all their schedules don't coincide very well. Between that, a death in the family, my uncle's boss being a dick last weekend (when it was supposed to happen), and more importantly the weather being a factor now, things have been getting annoying. All supplies are still ready here and waiting, and now its set to meet bats, a shotgun, fire, plaster, and a bog on July 2. Everyone is getting rather impatient over here, and probably here on CAG (understandably) but I haven't forgotten about it. At least at this rate, our friend Adam_skywalker should be back from Basic Training when this is finished to thoroughly enjoy the video. I can at least add now that everything will be shot in a sand lot run by one of the local construction companies my uncle works for - its isolated, its safer than most other areas, and it should provide a good background area for everything - and I can raid the local swap shack while I'm at it for more free stuff.

I'm also going to ask this to any Connecticut CAGers who read this - if I can make this open to a small viewing when it happens - is there anyone who would like to attend?[/QUOTE]

Where in CT? And what time on July 2nd? I usually work on Sundays but that would be wicked funny!!

[quote name='Visc']sorry for the lack of updates

I'm also going to ask this to any Connecticut CAGers who read this - if I can make this open to a small viewing when it happens - is there anyone who would like to attend?[/QUOTE]

What time on Sunday, July 2nd? And where in CT? I ususally work on Sundays but that would be WICKED funny (and my gf thinks its amusing, too)

[quote name='alive741']What time on Sunday, July 2nd? And where in CT? I ususally work on Sundays but that would be WICKED funny (and my gf thinks its amusing, too)[/quote]

I would say relatively early - sometime between 11am and 1pm, though that specific part isn't finalized and it will be in my home town - Canton.

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Good to hear things are coming along. Cant wait to watch it![/quote]

I just hope the weather can hold out - we haven't had a full 24 hours without rain since the beginning of June.

Wow. I had heard briefly about this, but now I know the true story. I just read through 10 pages of forums, and I feel good!

Anyways, Visc, any updates? I'm sure this is a pain to organize, but still, keep us posted! That video, when it's done, will be priceless.

Honestly, I've just forgotten to update is all;

Everything has been shot (no pun intended) - its going through editing right now - or it will be once I finish editing photos and videos from a wedding I was hired to shoot. Considering I've been payed quite a large sum of money to take photos and video from it, I kind of have to put that first right now. The photos won't take very long to finish, the video is just being a pain in the ass (this was my first wedding job FWIW) since I have to compile tapes from 4 different people who took video that day.

Once I finished with it however, I'll be sure to have a youtube link on the ready.

I finished the wedding video two days ago and have finally gotten to editing the movie (I'm a late bastard, I know). Now that I have the majority of my hard drive space back, the video shouldn't take too long to do; then again with how long its been so far you can probably not hold me to that anyways. To tide you over at the very least, here are a few screencaps of the video off my hard drive:

bash.jpg

shotgun.jpg

flames.jpg

b01_3445.jpg

My goal is to finish the whole thing by Wednesday, between shifts at work. Then I'll try and get it on youtube.

EDIT: just for the record, I was behind the camera for the shoot, the gent in the shot is my friend Chris, who volunteered to assist,

looks a little close to be shooting a shotgun into a pile of rocky dirt... but its sounds as if only the book didnt make it out ok so i guess it was safe enough.

bread's done
Back