Help Save G4TV from being dropped by Direct TV

[quote name='porieux']G4 is shit. I say shut it down completely.[/QUOTE]
If they'd just gut X-Play and AOTS to another network, then fine by me.

G4 is complete crap now because none of the people that say, "If they would actually would show programs about games I'd watch!" didn't actually watch. Just like the suspiciously large amount of supporters for Conan when he was getting kicked out of the Tonight Show - he's gone because you "fans" didn't actually watch.

G4 used to have a game news show, a game trailers show, a round table talk show about games, Xplay, a show for game machinma's, a game competition show ect. But nobody watched them... so slowly they had to get rid of the poor viewership shows and now we are left with COPS and Cheaters as 50% of G4's programming.

Used to love G4. I remember watching AOTS and X-Play nearly daily. The sad part is that this wasn't even 2 years ago.

When we dropped DirecTV for cable, I lost G4 since it's a premium cable channel. When we upgraded the cable to a package with a DVR I ended up getting G4 back after a year's absence, and have to say that in that year G4 went majorly down the shitter.

If G4 ended tomorrow, about the only part I'd miss is AOTS and X-Play, and I honestly haven't seen an episode of either show in probably 6 months.

Oh no, where will you get hour upon hour of Cheaters, Cops and Campus PD??? Seriously, they simply need to either go back to their roots or move their more noteworthy shows (X-Play, AOTS) to another network.

wow it's been like 5-6 years since I watched anything on G4, it was a p. cool channel when it had that review show with Tommy Tallarico, that list show with the Asian chick, and would play interviews/docs about like Wil Wright and Nintendo and such.

When I found out it was being dropped I cared for all of about 10 minutes. Sure, I love X-Play, but that's all now. They stopped focusing on the nerdy game stuff and lost my viewership a couple of years ago.

I haven't watched G4 in at least a year.

Don't they just have Cops and shows with 30something eye candy now?

I used to watch Icons and X play.

G4 can fade away for all I care. X-Play is the only thing remotely worth watching on G4, and even that's being generous. They just talk about a bunch of games I don't care about, and tend to rip on the games I like. I'd rather head over to Gametrailers for my video reviews.

I used to love Judgment Day. Tommy Tallarico is the best. He's the most uninformed, biased idiot reviewer ever, while Victor Lucas was the polar opposite being very knowledgeable and impartial. Tommy's review of Charlie & the Choclete Factory was hilarious. And he rips on anything old-school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judgement Day was a great show. I enjoyed it for exactly what it was: it wasn't reviewers trying to be impartial and give a "fair" review. Doing that is fine normally, but almost every reviewing site/show does that already, and it leads to a lot of bland I DIDNT CARE FOR THIS BUT IF YOU LIKE RPGS YOU WILL ENJOY IT 7/10" reviews. Judgement Day had Victor and Tommy just giving their own honest, bias opinions games, and although Tommy was a bit dickish, it was unique and interesting and they could get really funny bits out of it. I also liked that they actually reviewed hardware/peripherals, and that they had special segments for handheld games and "buried treasures" (SPONSORED BY EBGAMES).

Tommy was a riot. I disagreed with every single one of his reviews but it was one of those "I hate this guy so much I love em." But he's far from biased. He would give high scores to games he worked on, and most the games sucked like Advent Rising.

Man, I had forgotten about many of those shows, like Electronic Playground, until you guys mentioned it. Tommy and Victor were like the Ebert & Roeper of gaming. G4 used to be so great and it's such an empty shell of what it used to be. Truly sad.

I don't blame DirecTV for dropping the channel. AOTS and X-Play were the only 2 shows they offered and they could easily be moved to another network. The rest of their programming consisted of Cheaters, Cops, and Heroes re-runs.

[quote name='Rodimus']Tommy was a riot. I disagreed with every single one of his reviews but it was one of those "I hate this guy so much I love em." But he's far from biased. He would give high scores to games he worked on, and most the games sucked like Advent Rising.[/QUOTE]
err...I'm pretty sure this is the definition of being biased.

I loved that show too. Cheesy jokes and all. Its still on the air in Canada, but Tommy left to do those Video Games Live concerts. If you guys are curious, then check out their site: http://www.reviewsontherun.com/

If I was G4 I'd have more tech and video game programming. Instead of having just one review show why not have a few. Maybe some program that talks about retro games, maybe a game show like Nick Arcade where you play games or a quiz show with video game trivia, I'd watch that.

I don't understand why they air Cheaters & Cops. Might as well air Matlock and "In the Heat of the Night" it's just filler that nobody watches anyways. If you want cheap shows why not air some old animes like Gundam, Ranma, Lupin, etc.

[quote name='Rodimus']If I was G4 I'd have more tech and video game programming. Instead of having just one review show why not have a few. Maybe some program that talks about retro games, maybe a game show like Nick Arcade where you play games or a quiz show with video game trivia, I'd watch that.

I don't understand why they air Cheaters & Cops. Might as well air Matlock and "In the Heat of the Night" it's just filler that nobody watches anyways. If you want cheap shows why not air some old animes like Gundam, Ranma, Lupin, etc.[/QUOTE]

They did have those types of shows... they did horribly. Thus why there is one game show. What don't people understand? And Cheaters & Cops are cheap as hell to air and get more views than Xplay... so why not?

[quote name='eddie291']err...I'm pretty sure this is the definition of being biased.[/QUOTE]

I miss wrote, my bad.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']They did have those types of shows... they did horribly. Thus why there is one game show. What don't people understand? And Cheaters & Cops are cheap as hell to air and get more views than Xplay... so why not?[/QUOTE]

This is true, but it wasn't good enough to keep them going. And I remember that game show, it was called Arena but it was people playing Unreal Tournament and Call of Duty for 30 minutes, not much of a game show. It was boring as hell so of course it bombed.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lyricsborn']So Cops and Cheaters pull in ratings?[/QUOTE]

I have been at panels at PAX with Sessler and yes Cops and Cheaters get good ratings (for G4.)

[quote name='DarkNessBear']G4 is complete crap now because none of the people that say, "If they would actually would show programs about games I'd watch!" didn't actually watch. Just like the suspiciously large amount of supporters for Conan when he was getting kicked out of the Tonight Show - he's gone because you "fans" didn't actually watch.

G4 used to have a game news show, a game trailers show, a round table talk show about games, Xplay, a show for game machinma's, a game competition show ect. But nobody watched them... so slowly they had to get rid of the poor viewership shows and now we are left with COPS and Cheaters as 50% of G4's programming.[/QUOTE]

This. All of this stuff had to go to the internet in terms of gametrailers.com or Revison3.com to be able to turn a profit.

Although I am one of the people who Tivo'd and watched Extended Play/XPlay and Screen Savers daily, and also watched Icons, Arena, and Cinematech religiously.

OMG there will be no VGA anymore... Gaming is DEAD! *faints*

So, anyone knows what Webb and Sessler are planning to do?

[quote name='Bazylik']OMG there will be no VGA anymore... Gaming is DEAD! *faints[/QUOTE]Aren't the VGAs on Spike?

[quote name='Bazylik']So, anyone knows what Webb and Sessler are planning to do?[/QUOTE]Probably continue to do X Play for the providers that still carry G4.

[quote name='Rodimus']I don't understand why they air Cheaters & Cops. Might as well air Matlock and "In the Heat of the Night" it's just filler that nobody watches anyways. If you want cheap shows why not air some old animes like Gundam, Ranma, Lupin, etc.[/QUOTE]

I know people that watch those shows just because they want to see their comment on television (I guess they take remarks via Twitter or something and air them?)

I used to think that 'Attack of the Show' was pretty awesome until I saw 10 episodes and realized Olivia Munn was the most annoying woman on television.

No thanks, I wish this channel would drop from my Dish lineup instead and be replaced by ImaginAsian or that other Asian channel, the one that use to be called "The International Channel".
At least that way I could watch new Anime subbed as well as the Korean soaps I like.

I would argue G4 sucked at the beginning. How the fuck can you have a 24 hour video game channel and not have a show covering imports entirely?! I'm not even asking an hour, even half an hour I'd take. So my response was "fuck them." and I really haven't watched it for the most part.
It doesn't surprise me the people who started up the channel overlooked it. I mean, E! headed it's creation. That's just a total piece of shit gossip channel for the most part, who would expect G4 to be better?
I figure the way to really fix G4 is to take the show's ya'll like and just pair them onto the Korean "Ongamenet" channel. Then you have a serious gaming channel that makes money from GAMING shows, most would just happen to be in Korean though.
I suppose ImaginAsian or the other channel mentioned above would work as well and the ratings would likely increase as well. I mean, since you're appealing to an audience overall that's into gaming.

[quote name='MSUHitman']This. All of this stuff had to go to the internet in terms of gametrailers.com or Revison3.com to be able to turn a profit. [/QUOTE]

Agreed, the technology and gaming community gets the same content directly from internet. I used to watch Screensavers, now I get much of the same content directly from Leo Laporte through TWIT, or similarly through Revision3. Now with google TV, boxee, roku, TV's that include apps, etc. all of this content is easy to put on your tv, but you no longer need to subscribe to a cable/satellite tv package.

This is just another a smaller battle in an ongoing war between cable/satellite and the content providers. It's bad news in the short term for G4, but the big losers long term will be the cable and satellite providers, unless they can leverage their control over internet access. G4 may not matter to enough people, but cable/satellite are going to continue to alienate customers through things like this, and the ease and cheap availability of internet tv is going to grow and become more accessible and attractive to the average consumer.

[quote name='GUNNM']
only thing I'll miss from g4 is alison haislip[/QUOTE]

yup agree about haislip

I do also enjoy ninja warrior though

[quote name='Thrinn']Aren't the VGAs on Spike?[/QUOTE]

oh yeah, you're right. I had a feeling I was confusing something here hehe

[quote name='Thrinn']Probably continue to do X Play for the providers that still carry G4.[/QUOTE]

ah, misunderstanding on my part. Everyone is talking like G4 seized to exist. I thought cablevision owned G4 channel and they canned it because nobody watched it. I had a long and exhausting week, my fault for not looking into it.

I still get it and in the past 5 or 6 years the only thing that I have wanted to watch on it has been Code Monkies. The station was better when it was ZDtv and TechTV back when it had Call for Help, Screen Savers, GameSpot TV/early Xplay and Fresh Gear. Judgment Day wasn't bad also. The only shows that I watch now is it's f'en science and AOTS and that is when nothing else is on. Hell AOTS for the most part is just when they cover the cons they go to.

For you Alison Haislip fans out there, be looking out for the God of War- The Creators documentary on PSN (it was free if you preordered Ghost of Sparta at Gamestop.)

She moderates a panel discussion with all 5 GoW directors. If it's anything like the documentary on the history of God of War that was included in the Ultimate Edition of GoW 3, it will be available seperately on PSN sometime in the coming months.

To be serious, what kind of shithead watch cheater, cops and campus pd? I like Adam and Morgan, xplay is not the best it is better than none. One of my favorite clip of Adam was back it was TechTV, Adamn made a short video on what would happen of the office is in Resident evil world and weird camera angle. It made me lol seriously.

Adam hinted at the panel I attended at PAX 09 that Cops and the like got big ratings (comparative for G4) and that's why there's so many episodes of it on the network, plus its low cost. He also challenged people to watch a minute of it and not watch the entire episode.

[quote name='Bazylik']oh yeah, you're right. I had a feeling I was confusing something here hehe

ah, misunderstanding on my part. Everyone is talking like G4 seized to exist. I thought cablevision owned G4 channel and they canned it because nobody watched it. I had a long and exhausting week, my fault for not looking into it.[/QUOTE]

Comcast owns G4. And I have to agree with the folks that said Cops and cheaters is cheap filler that seems to keep the rest of the shows afloat.

bread's done
Back