HEROES - super thread...

Easily the best series premiere of any show I've ever seen. The preview for the season look even better too. I really can't say enough good things about it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Easily the best series premiere of any show I've ever seen. The preview for the season look even better too. I really can't say enough good things about it.[/quote]

I mostly disagree. I thought the first ep was only somewhat interesting and didn't really pull me in. I've read some reviews and the first hour has been described as slow so I'll give it a couple more eps before I decide to stick with it or not.

The season preview does look good but that's easy to do when you can pick the best stuff and amp it up w/voiceovers and dramatic music.

Off-topic, I'm finishing up season 2 of Battlestar Gallactica this week and the only show that has impressed me this much in the last 5 years is Lost. Anybody not wathcing BG is really missing out.

I saw a rough cut of this about 3 months ago it was 54 mins. I am hoping they changed some things for the "TV" pilot though. The screener that was sent to me was not enough to woo me.

I thought it was pretty good. Hopefully it doesnt get canceled mid-season. I'll be watching this weekly.

The pilot is long. It only has 2 short commerical breaks, so it might be about 54 minutes.

[quote name='neocisco']I mostly disagree. I thought the first ep was only somewhat interesting and didn't really pull me in. I've read some reviews and the first hour has been described as slow so I'll give it a couple more eps before I decide to stick with it or not.

The season preview does look good but that's easy to do when you can pick the best stuff and amp it up w/voiceovers and dramatic music.

Off-topic, I'm finishing up season 2 of Battlestar Gallactica this week and the only show that has impressed me this much in the last 5 years is Lost. Anybody not wathcing BG is really missing out.[/QUOTE]

I really liked how they were able to introduce Battlestar Galactica as a miniseries first and then a series. If they had more than 1 hour to introduce us to Heroes, I feel they would have spent more time on the action. I mean we didn't even get a chance to meet all the Heroes.

I still like what they did with Heroes though, given their constraints of network primetime and around 45 minutes (well a little more probably because of the limited commercial interruption). What they did with the intro was give us a small sample of what's in store for us. They gave us a slight clue as to who the villain will be and what the bigger problem will be for them to overcome.
The picture of the nuke in Manhattan was just a brillaint plot device.

[quote name='fuzz']Huge Spoiler... well you decide

The China man does no speak a word of english...
[/QUOTE]

Wrong nationality there Pedro, I thought it was promising and witht he state that NBC is in right now I doubt you will have to worry about it getting cancelled

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I really liked how they were able to introduce Battlestar Galactica as a miniseries first and then a series. If they had more than 1 hour to introduce us to Heroes, I feel they would have spent more time on the action. I mean we didn't even get a chance to meet all the Heroes.

I still like what they did with Heroes though, given their constraints of network primetime and around 45 minutes (well a little more probably because of the limited commercial interruption). What they did with the intro was give us a small sample of what's in store for us. They gave us a slight clue as to who the villain will be and what the bigger problem will be for them to overcome.
The picture of the nuke in Manhattan was just a brillaint plot device.
[/quote]
I agree with your network restraint point. I believe the pilot was shot as a 2 hour ep that NBC chose to break up into 2 parts so hopefully next week things will pick up (plus we get Greg Grunberg-I could barely type that, much less say it:lol: ). I definitely agree with your spoiler, it made sit up and pay closer attention.

Off-topic again, I watched the ep of BG yesterday when Adama and the admiral were plotting each other's assassinations. That was intense!

[quote name='neocisco']I agree with your network restraint point. I believe the pilot was shot as a 2 hour ep that NBC chose to break up into 2 parts so hopefully next week things will pick up (plus we get Greg Grunberg-I could barely type that, much less say it:lol: ). I definitely agree with your spoiler, it made sit up and pay closer attention.

Off-topic again, I watched the ep of BG yesterday when Adama and the admiral were plotting each other's assassinations. That was intense![/QUOTE]

Oh god, you don't even know the HALF of it. Its like I keep telling my friends who are about as far as you are into season 2, just wait till you get to the end of season 2.5, the last few episodes and the finale are simply unbelievable.

I only found the cheerleader parts interesting. That little twist with the brother at the end was pretty good too but I guess I have to watch a few more episodes before any judgement.

I liked it and all...but haven't we seen this all before? And if anyone has read J. Michael [SIZE=-1]Straczynski's Rising Stars (excellent, by the way) it seems uncannily similar.
[/SIZE]

Not too much revealed, still a little confused but thats expected from a pilot. I am interested to see how this develops. Scheduling my TVR for all new episodes. I'll decide after the next episode or two.

btw

Does anyone know if both brothers eventually fly?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']
Does anyone know if both brothers eventually fly?
[/quote]

From what I could understand it's a ying-yang thing. Equal and opposite reaction.

I taped it last night and will be watching it later on this morning. For the last couple years, I've been trying not to add any new shows to my regular viewing, and in fact have stopped watching a few that I really enjoyed, all because of limited free time. But I've always been a sucker for anything superhero-related, and this show sounds like it has some potential. Can't wait to check it out, I'll try to post again later with my impressions.

With regards to the other topic that has popped up a few times in this thread...
[quote name='RedvsBlue']Oh god, you don't even know the HALF of it. Its like I keep telling my friends who are about as far as you are into season 2, just wait till you get to the end of season 2.5, the last few episodes and the finale are simply unbelievable.[/QUOTE]I've never seen the new BG (didn't like the original, so when the new one came out, I ignored it. I've since heard that the shows couldn't be more different) I've thought about picking up a season in the next DDD sale to check it out after hearing so many good things about it, but what's this about season 2.5? Are the seasons being released a little at a time like Farscape Starburst sets? What season is currently airing, and how many seasons have been released to DVD? I'm already going to be breaking the bank in the next DDD sale; maybe I should wait a while longer on BG if seasons are coming out in partial sets.

Good, but not great. But it piqued my interest enough that I'll stick with it for another few episodes. Nice to see an Asian character in a primetime series at least, even if he is portrayed as the stereotypical nerd, at least he has the best power (in my opinion).

I loved it but I actually found it a bit fast. Hiro especially evolved a bit too quickly. In the morning he bends time, in the evening he teleports into the bathroom, and then at night he's already teleporting to the other side of the world. I understand though that they have to get people hooked immidiately so they keep watching, with the state that TV is in you better grab your audience right away.

So slooooooooooow. Look, I know NBC has to try and come up with their own "Lost" type show somehow, but being super vague and revealing only one thing every 20 minutes isn't a good way to replicate it. Also, we have to remember, this is a pilot. There is a lot of exposition, and its supposed to hook you in. Meaning, this is probably as fast as its going to get.

My prediction, it gets even slower over the next few weeks and people will loose interest, cheerleader uniform or not.

Also, anyone think it seemned a little gory for 9pm? Not for me, but the kids man, the kids.

It was fairly slow, but did pick up toward the end. I suspect the next episode will be a little slow, since it is the second half of the pilot. Still, it has a very Lost-like feel. From the previews, it looked like it will pcik up over the next few weeks. I am cautiously optimistic.

Just finished watching it on tape. I liked it enough to check out a few more episodes at least. Hopefully it will live up to the potential a lot of us see in it, and draw enough ratings to stick around for the ones who do get hooked on it.

i saw the trailer on xbox live and thought it would be good.. i missed the show yesterday though... may have to download it.

o shit theres an encore? gonna have to check at what time! ill watch it if it doesnt intefere with wresting tonight

The bad acting really drags this away from being "pretty good" -- the editing and direction don't help, either.

I'll continue watching, in case this is suffering from pilot awkwardness.

People complaining about it being slow strikes me as odd, too, as it feels too rushed and under-developed.

Saw the pilot last night, i thought it was pretty good. I'll give it a couple more episodes before i decide to watch it every monday.

Catch the pilot again tonight if you guys missed it yesterday, give it a chance.

[quote name='fuzz']Huge Spoiler... well you decide

The China man does no speak a word of english...
[/quote]
he does say "herro new york" , but i guess that's engrish

liked it but i think they tried to cram too much crap into the first episode. i imagine its rather difficult to do a proper hero intro on 5-6 different people in one episode. a couple of more episodes will bring it together hopefully. all they need now is patrick stewart in a wheel chair and some spandex costumes.

Heros felt a little slow, but it was pretty good. I'll be watching again next week.
[quote name='Danimal']
With regards to the other topic that has popped up a few times in this thread...
I've never seen the new BG (didn't like the original, so when the new one came out, I ignored it. I've since heard that the shows couldn't be more different) I've thought about picking up a season in the next DDD sale to check it out after hearing so many good things about it, but what's this about season 2.5? Are the seasons being released a little at a time like Farscape Starburst sets? What season is currently airing, and how many seasons have been released to DVD? I'm already going to be breaking the bank in the next DDD sale; maybe I should wait a while longer on BG if seasons are coming out in partial sets.[/quote] Season 2 was released in 2 sets because of the way it aired (the first half aired from July to October with 2.0 coming out on DVD in December, the second half aired from January to March with 2.5 coming out a few weeks ago). Season 2.0 has episodes 1-10, and season 2.5 has episodes 11-20 (plus an extended version of episode 10). Season 1 has both the complete 13 episode first season and the miniseries that started the show.
Season 3 is going to start next Friday, but don't watch it until you've seen the rest of the episodes. Because the third season is pretty much going to be non stop except for holiday breaks it will be in a single DVD box set.

[quote name='Brak']The bad acting really drags this away from being "pretty good" -- the editing and direction don't help, either.

I'll continue watching, in case this is suffering from pilot awkwardness.

People complaining about it being slow strikes me as odd, too, as it feels too rushed and under-developed.[/QUOTE]

Same here. The acting I thought was real campy, and not the good campy. The editing nearly made my head hurt. The whole series feels like it's been done before, not much wowed me or made me say "I have to watch this" (the one thing that piqued my interest was the artist). I'll stick to Smallville for my superheroes, and Lost for my... Lost.

I'll be damned if this airs all year on Monday, who would want to watch this over 24? :)

[quote name='Jatsu']I loved it but I actually found it a bit fast. Hiro especially evolved a bit too quickly. In the morning he bends time, in the evening he teleports into the bathroom, and then at night he's already teleporting to the other side of the world. I understand though that they have to get people hooked immidiately so they keep watching, with the state that TV is in you better grab your audience right away.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking the eclipse may have accelerated their progress a little bit.

It just droned on for too long. I think it will do well, but it just had not subtance for being a pilot episode. Pilots should be gripping this... not so much.

My complaint is NBC doesn't have a fucknig clue what they are doing to their primere shows.

They made Deal or No Deal two hours last week. That was pointless, they should have made Studio 60 two hours because this weeks felt like a continution of the primere anyways. Then this week show two hours of Heros. Next week back to normal.

But why are people comparing this to Lost? This is much much more like The 4400 with the government or someone trying to hide what's going on.

[quote name='David85']But why are people comparing this to Lost? This is much much more like The 4400 with the government or someone trying to hide what's going on.[/QUOTE]

Its not really plot, its more because the type of show. Mainly because its spooky. Its not a crime drama. Its not a reality show or sitcom and its not a "Desperate Housewives" type soap opera. Anything with an aura of mystery is going to be compared to "Lost" because "Lost" is 1) superpopular and 2) at some point I'm positive an NBC executive said something along the lines of "We need something that will keep the audience guessing, keep them on the edge of their seats. You know, like Lost."

[quote name='Danimal']

I've never seen the new BG (didn't like the original, so when the new one came out, I ignored it. I've since heard that the shows couldn't be more different) I've thought about picking up a season in the next DDD sale to check it out after hearing so many good things about it, but what's this about season 2.5? Are the seasons being released a little at a time like Farscape Starburst sets? What season is currently airing, and how many seasons have been released to DVD? I'm already going to be breaking the bank in the next DDD sale; maybe I should wait a while longer on BG if seasons are coming out in partial sets.[/QUOTE]

Season 2 was split into to parts with 13 episodes each. There was season 2.0 and then season 2.5. They were aired months apart and could really be considered entirely seperate season but for the fact that they weren't seperated by an entire year. Aside from that the season 1 boxset is all 13 episodes of the 1st season including the miniseries/pilot that started the show.

Season 3 starts in about 2 weeks.

[quote name='jalu6']So slooooooooooow. Look, I know NBC has to try and come up with their own "Lost" type show somehow, but being super vague and revealing only one thing every 20 minutes isn't a good way to replicate it. Also, we have to remember, this is a pilot. There is a lot of exposition, and its supposed to hook you in. Meaning, this is probably as fast as its going to get.

My prediction, it gets even slower over the next few weeks and people will loose interest, cheerleader uniform or not.

Also, anyone think it seemned a little gory for 9pm? Not for me, but the kids man, the kids.[/QUOTE]

And you're saying Lost isn't slow?!?! That's quite possibly the worst offender of a show moving at a snail's pace. Look back at all of season 2, 22 1 hour episodes and think about how much happened. Not a whole hell of a lot.

Last year, Surface was NBC's attempt at mimicking Lost. It was pretty blatant and not a very good copy. The only thing Heroes has in common with Lost is that its a sci-fi based show. Other than that there's very little in common with Lost.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']FYI: There's an encore on tonight for those of you who missed it.[/QUOTE]

By the time I remembered to tune in I saw the encore announcement.

Thought it was pretty good. Hiro was awesome, the cheerleader I could have done without. Don't really care for Mr. Gilmore Girl, either. But I'll keep watching.

I just gotta say Hiro is like the best character! LOL teleporting... He is the only character that believes he has the power and uses it as fast as he can. The others don't believe besides the cheerleader that doesn't know what's going on with her powers. Personaly, I wanna see some bad guys with super powers. You notice the map with all the pins on it? Most likely, those are locations of other "heroes" and the bad guys might just try to recruit some people. Most likely, that picture of the "bad" thing that happens.. I hope it is a super villain that does it. Some kind of power that lets you rain fire and make things blow up. I mean, their has to be some bad guys with powers or people that lose their powers to steal or do other things bad. I mean that one tall girl has some.. really messed up powers that might be looked at as "bad".

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not...
But I am just watching SciFi and they did a promo for HEROES, Fridays at 7 (I think). So it looks like it will be on NBC and SciFi ( the promo I saw said it was part of their new Friday lineup). Odd that the show would be shared but makes it even better if you miss it.

As for the show being slow... Aren't most shows a little slow to start? Doing all the character introductions and setting up the basic storylines... I think the pace will pick up a bit as the stor gets fleshed out some, but I still say its a definate watch.

I just saw the premiere. I thought it was awesome. It was the most impressed I've ever been with a show since I saw the first episode of Lost. I think this will end up being my second favorite show on network tv (behind Lost of course). Also, the mom lady that sees herself all weird in the mirror and the girl that cant get hurt = teh hotness.

Watched it again.

There's an apparent gap between script, writing and direction -- and it's painful for me to watch. For instance, there are some lines that are supposed to be prolific and metaphorical, but have way too much corn-emphasis on them; and there are shots, such as the professor stepping on the cockroach, that aren't presented profoundly enough.

I give it a D+.

It's obvious there was an NBC board meeting where they said, "We need our own Lost." When you write a show around that sole premise, you're going to have a trainwreck.

I just watched this and I enjoyed it.

The beginning was a little slow but it definitely picked up when I saw that hot girl jump off that thing. The brothers (if it is a Ying-Yang thing) could be a pretty cool new premise that we haven't seen from a "super powers" prospective.

[quote name='topnotch97']i saw Heroes a bit, but I just sticked to Prison Break and Vanished.[/quote] Yea, my shows on Monday are Prison Break then Heros then the last 1/2 of WWE: Raw. XD It is a nice setup, I just wish WWE started one hour later.

bread's done
Back