Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Nobody Wants This Game To End... Ever...

[quote name='Tybee']I think one of the best parts of the game is the way it gives you the choice between being callous and insensitive or taking a genuine interest in the people around you. Choose the first option too often, and sooner or later it will be game over for you. And yet he never really lets down his gruff exterior.[/quote]
Yes, but the game penalizes you frequently for being a jackass. Or even if it isn't Game Over, you pick the Jackass option and the game will redirect you to pick the Jesus-And-Pals option. This isn't really true choice. It would have been far more interesting if you, as Kyle, were able to dimiss social niceities, give everyone the bird, and see what game ending you get, asshole.

I'm not dismissing Kyle as a jerk, by any means. He "shows his quality" on numerous occassions, but being an engaging companion isn't one of his natural gifts.

Comment on after-ending:

And am I the only one that is concerned about Kyle having his way with supremely innocent Mila? Or maybe I'm just a cockeyed biddie that looks at a male and female and assumes they'll be soon experimenting with drugs, alcohol, and sex with animals.

Perhaps Kyle Hyde is only a likable character by males? So far the only CAGs who have expressed their dislike for him are of the female variety. :lol:

[quote name='utopianmachine']Comment on after-ending:

And am I the only one that is concerned about Kyle having his way with supremely innocent Mila? Or maybe I'm just a cockeyed biddie that looks at a male and female and assumes they'll be soon experimenting with drugs, alcohol, and sex with animals.
[/quote]
I was a little concerned about that arrangement myself, but I got the impression that Kyle's connection with her was more as a fellow lost soul traveling the open road, rather than a sexual or even a romantic thing. Mila's a person who, like Kyle, who feels she doesn't really have a place in the world. I think they'll be sharing a car...not a bed.

Incidentally, throughout most of the game they suggest, subtly, that Rachael is the most likely to be Kyle's love interest. She's the one that cares about him and one of the few people he can comfortably talk with. I kind of like to think of him going back to her after his "vacation," and maybe making a life, probably after getting Mila on her feet.

Actually, the person I kept thinking about was Louie, who really grows on you over the course of the game. Yeah, he's a cheeseball, but the thought of him and Mila together was kind of nice. Bet he was kind of busted up that she left. Then again, if you ascribe to the ending that has Jenny returning, there may be an opportunity there. ;)

[quote name='Strell']So if you don't like him you vicariously don't like me according to my non-sequiter poorly-thought-out logic.[/quote]Vicariously? Strell, I don't like you as we are.
tongue.gif

I hope he comes back in a sequel and is an even bigger jerk
Uh huh.

[quote name='Tybee']Come on, Guin. Does the word "antihero" mean anything to you?[/quote]It does. And I never cared for that character. EVEN when thin Orson played it. And that's saying something.

Kyle is the classic film noir archetype: world weary, cynical, self serving. But underneath is a heart of gold and the desire to make things right. I think it's a disservice to simply write off that kind of character as "a jerk."
If there were a self-less heart of gold underneath, I'd be more sympathetic to the fiction and the character. When the character is well meaning for his own ends, that's when I have problems. Be it the male anti-hero in fiction, or the manipulative female too often found in everyday life and generally over-characatured (is that a word?) in fiction.

I would have lost interest pretty quick if Kyle had walked up to everyone saying, "Gosh howdy! My name's Kyle Hyde! You folks sure look nice! What can I do ya for?"
Are you making fun of how I greet people? I don't tell people my name's Kyle, but that goes without saying.

[quote name='Tybee']
Incidentally, throughout most of the game they suggest, subtly, that Rachael is the most likely to be Kyle's love interest. She's the one that cares about him and one of the few people he can comfortably talk with.
[/quote]
Exactly, which was another reason I was uncomfortable with him taking Mila, instead of leaving her in Rosa's care (imo, an infinitely better care-giver for her state... and sex and age). He was down on himself for not being able to just ask Rachel to join him on a break or vacation (forget which part of the game he's yelling at himself over that) and then he let's Mila join him as he goes wandering to who-knows-where? That felt awkward.

Actually, the person I kept thinking about was Louie, who really grows on you over the course of the game. Yeah, he's a cheeseball, but the thought of him and Mila together was kind of nice.
I really wasn't thinking of he and Mila, but the way he was just dropped at the end felt sad. No, I didn't expect he and Kyle to go riding off into the sunset. But I did feel a sort of pang for him. He proves his worth to someone he wanted to impress, even becomes friendly with Kyle. And then that's it.

I'll say this though, despite my kvetching, I definately prefer THIS sort of ending than one where everything is clean and everyone is spoon-fed a happy ending.

PS. Strell, you know I wubs ya.

[quote name='guinaevere']
It does. And I never cared for that character. EVEN when thin Orson played it. And that's saying something.

If there were a self-less heart of gold underneath, I'd be more sympathetic to the fiction and the character. When the character is well meaning for his own ends, that's when I have problems. Be it the male anti-hero in fiction, or the manipulative female too often found in everyday life and generally over-characatured (is that a word?) in fiction.[/quote]
Why'd you bother with it if you don't like classic noir stories? I'm assuming you were aware that this would be neo-noir, right? The whole idea is that the characters aren't likable except in rare moments of humanity. The hero is always troubled and cynical and too easily manipulated.

[quote name='Strell']So if you don't like him you vicariously don't like me according to my non-sequiter poorly-thought-out logic.[/quote]Vicariously? Strell, I don't like you as we are.
tongue.gif

I hope he comes back in a sequel and is an even bigger jerk
Uh huh.

[quote name='Tybee']Come on, Guin. Does the word "antihero" mean anything to you?[/quote]It does. And I never cared for that character. EVEN when thin Orson played it. And that's saying something.

Kyle is the classic film noir archetype: world weary, cynical, self serving. But underneath is a heart of gold and the desire to make things right. I think it's a disservice to simply write off that kind of character as "a jerk."
If there were a self-less heart of gold underneath, I'd be more sympathetic to the fiction and the character. When the character is well meaning for his own ends, that's when I have problems. Be it the male anti-hero in fiction, or the manipulative female too often found in everyday life and generally over-characatured (is that a word?) in fiction.

I would have lost interest pretty quick if Kyle had walked up to everyone saying, "Gosh howdy! My name's Kyle Hyde! You folks sure look nice! What can I do ya for?"
Are you making fun of how I greet people? I don't tell people my name's Kyle, but that goes without saying.

[quote name='Tybee']
Incidentally, throughout most of the game they suggest, subtly, that Rachael is the most likely to be Kyle's love interest. She's the one that cares about him and one of the few people he can comfortably talk with.
[/quote]
Exactly, which was another reason I was uncomfortable with him taking Mila, instead of leaving her in Rosa's care (imo, an infinitely better care-giver for her state... and sex and age). He was down on himself for not being able to just ask Rachel to join him on a break or vacation (forget which part of the game he's yelling at himself over that) and then he let's Mila join him as he goes wandering to who-knows-where? That felt awkward.

Actually, the person I kept thinking about was Louie, who really grows on you over the course of the game. Yeah, he's a cheeseball, but the thought of him and Mila together was kind of nice.
I really wasn't thinking of he and Mila, but the way he was just dropped at the end felt sad. No, I didn't expect he and Kyle to go riding off into the sunset. But I did feel a sort of pang for him. He proves his worth to someone he wanted to impress, even becomes friendly with Kyle. And then that's it.

I'll say this though, despite my kvetching, I definately prefer THIS sort of ending than one where everything is clean and everyone is spoon-fed a happy ending.

PS. Strell, you know I wubs ya.

Just because I don't care for aspects of a genre, doesn't mean I avoid it all together.

I enjoy a mystery, I enjoy characters and settings. In this, I was pleased with ²/³ and then some. I dislike Kyle. I don't dislike every character in the story.

And yukine made a good point earlier about how guys will probably more often appreciate this sort of character than girls would. I know in speaking with my big brother, I mentioned that Kyle was dislikable. He said that's what he liked about him. :roll: And this from a guy who's more of a goody-two-shoes than I am.

[quote name='guinaevere']Just because I don't care for aspects of a genre, doesn't mean I avoid it all together.

I enjoy a mystery, I enjoy characters and settings. In this, I was pleased with ²/³ and then some. I dislike Kyle. I don't dislike every character in the story.

And yukine made a good point earlier about how guys will probably more often appreciate this sort of character than girls would. I know in speaking with my big brother, I mentioned that Kyle was dislikable. He said that's what he liked about him. :roll: And this from a guy who's more of a goody-two-shoes than I am.[/QUOTE]

I think kyle is very much a tough guy, but he really has a super blunt honesty about him. He's very much a loner too, which guys like alot (and I'm guessing girls don't as much). Oddly, my guess is that girls would like louie or dunning :lol: jk

[quote name='guinaevere']Are you making fun of how I greet people? I don't tell people my name's Kyle, but that goes without saying.[/quote]

I might be. Whatcha gonna do about it, Pollyanna? ;)

Yeah, I agree for the most part. Didn't really ring true given everything that had come before. But it did surprise me, so maybe that's something.

Yeah. I really think Louie is probably the best written character in the game. He starts off as very annoying, kinda whiny and shifty, and I couldn't wait for him to leave. But as the game went on, I was happy every time he turned up, not just because he was comic relief, but because he was someone I genuinely cared about and wanted to see succeed (in helping Kyle, in turning his life around, etc.). And he was the perfect foil for Kyle. I also thought the part about him and the bar was so well done. Fit perfectly with his character, gave him a chance at a future without being overwrought.

I think Iris, Jeff Angel, and the Woodwards are the weakest characters. They're fairly one-dimensional, just filling their roles. The old woman, whose name escapes me at the moment, and the hack writer had more depth (even though the latter annoyed me, which I guess he was supposed to). I never connected with Rosa, but she was well written and had some good scenes toward the end. Dunning was a bit of a stereotype, and I don't know that they did a good job connecting that character to the person we discover him to be at the end. But I liked him and got the feeling that, despite coming off like a mobster, he generally cared that his guests were happy and was trying to make the best of his lot.

Agreed. Felt very honest in that respect.

[quote name='Tybee']
Yeah. I really think Louie is probably the best written character in the game. He starts off as very annoying, kinda whiny and shifty, and I couldn't wait for him to leave. But as the game went on, I was happy every time he turned up, not just because he was comic relief, but because he was someone I genuinely cared about and wanted to see succeed (in helping Kyle, in turning his life around, etc.). And he was the perfect foil for Kyle. I also thought the part about him and the bar was so well done. Fit perfectly with his character, gave him a chance at a future without being overwrought.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think louie had alot going for him. he and kyle are at turning points in their lives, and they are great partners. personally, I wish for more of louie if they ever make prequel/sequel. A prequel would make sense since it would still have kyle and louie.

Well said, Captain Freeze. =)

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I think kyle is very much a tough guy, but he really has a super blunt honesty about him. He's very much a loner too, which guys like alot (and I'm guessing girls don't as much).[/quote]I don't know if it's the loner aspect. You're closer with tough. But I think the true matter is that he doesn't play by the standards or rules of conventional society.

I see guys as wanting to be able to live that way. I've never felt hampered or restrained by rules or conventional niceties, so that would explain my not appreciating Hyde as most of y'all do.

Oddly, my guess is that girls would like louie or dunning :lol: jk
Dude, Dunning was HAWT. :lol: But I did like Louie's hair. Reminded me of my big bro's hair from the late 70s early 80s.

[quote name='Tybee']I might be. Whatcha gonna do about it, Pollyanna? ;)[/quote]Pout and stomp my foot?

I think Iris, Jeff Angel, and the Woodwards are the weakest characters. They're fairly one-dimensional, just filling their roles.
Definately. Very cookie-cutter, no question.

[quote name='Strell']OH YEAH? WELL I DON'T LIKE YOUR F-[/quote] Feet? Fortissimo? Fantastic personality and good looks?

BAD GRAMMAR.
Oh, you ARE a rebel ain'tchya? Kyle Hyde is definately you in game form. "Sorry Dunning, I'm not playing by your rules. Not until you clean up that dangling participle."

I just wanted to add that there is a State Farm commercial right now that depicts this middle aged dude running around a house amidst several screaming toddlers, culminating in one of them flushing his watch down the toilet.

The only reason I add this is that the dude looks exactly like Louie DeNonno (maybe +5 years), and since so many people here seem to luv him so much and hate my digital likeness/namesake, MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST WATCH THE COMMERCIAL OVER AND OVER AND THEN MARRY IT.

/Icy Hot Hydaz 4 eva

[quote name='Strell']I just wanted to add that there is a State Farm commercial right now that depicts this middle aged dude running around a house amidst several screaming toddlers, culminating in one of them flushing his watch down the toilet.

The only reason I add this is that the dude looks exactly like Louie DeNonno (maybe +5 years), and since so many people here seem to luv him so much and hate my digital likeness/namesake, MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST WATCH THE COMMERCIAL OVER AND OVER AND THEN MARRY IT.

/Icy Hot Hydaz 4 eva[/QUOTE]
vid plz kthxbye

no, seriously, im a kyle guy with strell. blunt honesty and prickishness is oh so refreshing, especially in a nintendo game

[quote name='Strell']I just wanted to add that there is a State Farm commercial right now that depicts this middle aged dude running around a house amidst several screaming toddlers, culminating in one of them flushing his watch down the toilet.

/Icy Hot Hydaz 4 eva[/quote]

Well, he's white and he has curly hair, but other than that, I don't see the Louis resemblance. The guy's like 30 pounds heavier and his face looks nothing like Mr. DeNonno's. Plus his hair is short and Louie's is long. But thanks for playing!

Phbhbt. I said maybe +5 years, and if you are in a daddy role you gain weight (or so my since-childhood friends seem to confirm, being that my buddies all seem to do that).

Dude has the same eyes as DeNonno. Kinda bright in an ethereal way.

I wouldn't expect someone with a bandana over their eyes to see it anyway. Jerk.

[quote name='Strell']Dude has the same eyes as DeNonno. Kinda bright in an ethereal way.[/quote]

Ahhh....Man love.

I only played the demo, and I thought Hyde was a little pissant.

Part of that was personal, part of that was my prior adventure gaming experience where the supporting characters are all unreasonable and arbitrary obstacles and the main character must meet their demands precisely and obsequiously.

I just started a new game after finishing it months ago, and I just realized how fuck ing funny Kyle is, especially in his conversation with the little girl on the steps, his expression was priceless when she broke the puzzle :lol:

[quote name='Strell']I don't watch Naruto, what with its ninja pirate robolords hunting Kishon jems and fighting the ever-luvable Team Locket.[/quote]
:rofl:

[quote name='grendel19']This game getting rare? Amazon doesn't carry it anymore and 3rd party sellers are asking for over MSRP.[/QUOTE]

People just love Kyle Hyde.

Because he is so awesome.

I beat it, sold my copy, and found the soundtrack online. That'll keep me in touch with the game.

I really enjoyed it, just not sure I could ever play it again.

Whoo ... bumping old threads.

Just got around to playing this about a week or so ago, and I admittedly haven't had that much time to put into it (I've barely made it into Chapter 2), but I feel compelled to ask--at what point does this game get interesting? (I'm sure I could read through the thread and get my question answered, but I don't need that many spoilers.) I'm finding myself bored to tears right now, and I'm wondering if I'm just not a fan of this game or perhaps the adventure genre as a whole (didn't really enjoy PW, either).

If things pick up (they should, shouldn't they?), I'll probably stick with it, but I'm beginning to think that this game is headed for an early trade-in. And I've never traded in ANYTHING.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']The beginning is slow, but give it a few more chapters (I forget where) and it starts to pick up where you really hate to stop playing.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. The beginning was so damn boring and tedious but it definitely picks up.

I still just listen to the soundtrack on my Ipod, and I haven't played the game in...well, my post was the last one in here before the thread got bumped. :)

I found the OST on my comp a few days ago and listened to...well I don't know the title, but it's "____ Blues" I think. Has the real easy going twangy guitar.

I might have to replay this game again soon. It's really under-appreciated, even if I can understand why people didn't take to it as much as I did.

[quote name='clockworkgreen']I still just listen to the soundtrack on my Ipod :)[/quote]me too. :D whats tracks are your favorite? I really like silent moon, so noted, violet sky, track 16 (dont know the name), dead stare, rainy night and secrets would have to be my favorite. :D

I played this game over my winter break, and while it does have its flaws it felt like a breath of fresh air. I'll probably play it again for the second ending eventually.

Strell: If you're going to spoil Naruto, could you at least have the decency to hide them?:)

[quote name='DQT']Strell: If you're going to spoil Naruto, could you at least have the decency to hide them?:)[/QUOTE]

Hah!

I hope gwen reads that.

I have quoted it purely to make that doubly likely.

Hell I think I'll quote it again.

[quote name='DQT']Strell: If you're going to spoil Naruto, could you at least have the decency to hide them?:)[/QUOTE]

TRIPLE WORD SCORE

[quote name='geigerm']Whoo ... bumping old threads.

Just got around to playing this about a week or so ago, and I admittedly haven't had that much time to put into it (I've barely made it into Chapter 2), but I feel compelled to ask--at what point does this game get interesting? (I'm sure I could read through the thread and get my question answered, but I don't need that many spoilers.) I'm finding myself bored to tears right now, and I'm wondering if I'm just not a fan of this game or perhaps the adventure genre as a whole (didn't really enjoy PW, either).

If things pick up (they should, shouldn't they?), I'll probably stick with it, but I'm beginning to think that this game is headed for an early trade-in. And I've never traded in ANYTHING.[/quote]

It's a mystery that doesn't fall into place until the verrrrry end (like most mysteries). If you're patient with it, it is worth it.

[quote name='geigerm']Just got around to playing this about a week or so ago, and I admittedly haven't had that much time to put into it (I've barely made it into Chapter 2), but I feel compelled to ask--at what point does this game get interesting?[/QUOTE]
If you ask me, it never does. But that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.

[quote name='pete5883']If you ask me, it never does. But that doesn't seem to be a popular opinion.[/quote]

Do you even like games? :lol:

[quote name='Vegan']It's a mystery that doesn't fall into place until the verrrrry end (like most mysteries). If you're patient with it, it is worth it.[/quote]

Yeah, I think that's part of my problem. While I enjoy reading mysteries, I'm a pretty fast reader, so having to click through a whole ton of seemingly pointless dialogue with Rosa about how she has to do all the cooking and cleaning at the hotel ... yeah, not my favorite thing to do.

I'm slowly getting more into it, though, even if I have been stupid enough to get myself kicked out of the hotel a few times already ... and I'm still only in Chapter 2. Yes, you read that correctly. No, I'm not good at adventure games.

EDIT: Oh, weird thing I've noticed when I save--it's giving my elapsed time played as something like 383:10. Anyone else notice something similarly goofy when they went through this game?

If you're a pure plot person, yeah, I can see how you'd find it frustrating. But if you appreciate a character-driven story, you'll appreciate the depth and nuance the game provides for its characters. You even come to care about some of them.

Sometimes it's about the journey, not the destination.

I suspect Kyle would agree.

[quote name='yukine']Do you even like games? :lol:[/QUOTE]
Yeah. Slow-moving, plot heavy ones, too.
[quote name='geigerm']EDIT: Oh, weird thing I've noticed when I save--it's giving my elapsed time played as something like 383:10. Anyone else notice something similarly goofy when they went through this game?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the clock doesn't turn off when you close the DS.

[quote name='geigerm']
EDIT: Oh, weird thing I've noticed when I save--it's giving my elapsed time played as something like 383:10. Anyone else notice something similarly goofy when they went through this game?[/quote]

The clock keeps running when the DS is in sleep mode.

bread's done
Back