How does an adult make friends?

LOL :) My best advice? Join a sports organization. Softball, kickball, bowling league, etc. Just pick something you are going to enjoy! I met so many people performing in a country western dance team and then I switched to softball. I tried league pool (but that was too late on a school night) and I did a stint at a bowling league.

[quote name='cletus']
BTW it will only become harder to make new friends as you get older. At least that's what I've been told by people older then me.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's definitely true. The older you get the more of your peers will be married with kids, busy careers etc. and not much time/interest in making new friends etc. as they don't have much time to hang out with their current friends.

I've actually outgrown my friends as I've gotten older. I grew up, and they still act like they're in high school. SO I've been searching for friends more when I got older.

[quote name='Goonie85']I've actually outgrown my friends as I've gotten older. I grew up, and they still act like they're in high school. SO I've been searching for friends more when I got older.[/QUOTE]

This. Now I'm not against drinking, but that's all my high school friends seem to do. It's not just occasionally, it's all the time. It got old.

Y'know, when I saw the title I thought this was a cry for help from someone who just doesn't have opportunity. I know a lot of people who genuinely have trouble socializing due to circumstance. A lady I work with in her late 20's recently got divorced. She married her high school sweetheart and just kind of fell out of practice. That's understandable, but she's willing to try.

This guy just sounds like a picky shut in.

[quote name='craven_fiend']This. Now I'm not against drinking, but that's all my high school friends seem to do. It's not just occasionally, it's all the time. It got old.[/QUOTE]

I might be one of those guys, too. Not the drinking, but I still find toilet humor the most hilarious thing in the world, love to talk about wrestling and video games, and generally don't like "adult" stuff.

I was once talking to somebody about Dave and Buster's and he mentioned how D&B now has games that don't appeal to kids, like, more redemption machines and less video games. And I was like "What? Street Fighter and Daytona USA aren't supposed to appeal to me anymore? Oh my god! I'm a kid in an adult's body! Somebody help me! Somebody get me to the doctor! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!"

[quote name='Chuplayer']I might be one of those guys, too. Not the drinking, but I still find toilet humor the most hilarious thing in the world, love to talk about wrestling and video games, and generally don't like "adult" stuff.

I was once talking to somebody about Dave and Buster's and he mentioned how D&B now has games that don't appeal to kids, like, more redemption machines and less video games. And I was like "What? Street Fighter and Daytona USA aren't supposed to appeal to me anymore? Oh my god! I'm a kid in an adult's body! Somebody help me! Somebody get me to the doctor! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!"[/QUOTE]

Well, its not so much toilet humor, I still find it funny as well, its their constant "party" mode. They've also substituted wrestling for MMA, nothing against that (just haven't gotten hardcore into it, yet). I'm still in the stage where I'm stuck between child, 25 yrs old, and adult. Most of the time, I'm on the side of adult, since I've got 2 young kids, but I like to have "kid" days every once in a while.

I'm disappointed to hear that about D&B. Haven't gone to one yet, hate feeling like we are "ditching" our kids for fun. But what's not to love about racing against other people and not having to worry about killing them when you crash into them or vice versa.

[quote name='tcrash247']Was this thread yearning for a resurrection?[/QUOTE]

Goonie85 thought so at least. Good thing it was only about 2 weeks old, as opposed to months or years.

[quote name='Goonie85']I've actually outgrown my friends as I've gotten older. I grew up, and they still act like they're in high school. SO I've been searching for friends more when I got older.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty common. I don't really talk to any of my high school friends anymore, and only a couple of college friends.

I'll probably keep in touch with a couple of close friends from grad school--have been so far despite being 10+ hours away now.

Just a combination of having less in common with the friends who don't "grow up" and take different paths through life (don't go to college etc.) and moving away for college, jobs etc. and not keeping up the friendships long distance.

Truthfully, I think it depends on the people you want as "friends". Not in a joking way or anything, but I know some of my hobbies include games (obviously) and other stuff like maybe some electronics or movies or something, and I know sometimes just haning out at places that revolve around this stuff youll meet people. For example, when I used to collect comics (before I went to college) I buddied up with the clerk just cause we both had an interest in Batman. I know it sounds cliche, but usually the best way to become friends with people is to share a common interest, and the best way to do that with strangers is to go where people might congregate.

So now that your an "adult" just find a place where you and some other people might have a common interest, go to a bar to meet people that like to drink and watch a game. I know when the phillies are on EVERYONE at the local bar are best friends. I know a friend of mine moved out to Cali and took a part time job at a comic joint jsut to meet some of the locals with his same interests. I know the guys in gamestop are always down for some gaming talk.

Either way, just be creative and go out there. You never know. Just do me a favor and dont be that creepy guy that "hovers" and "stares" then strikes up an awkward conversation. And if the guy clearly starts ignoring you, just let it go. Hell heres an idea, just do what some people do here and set up a local gaming night, you might meet some of the local CAG freaks. Some might actually be good guys (or girls), just make sure your not inviting underaged boys or girls into your home. Could cross into creepy/illegal territory there.

[quote name='tcrash247']Was this thread yearning for a resurrection?[/QUOTE]Compared to some ancient threads that get bumped, this was hardly old. Sometimes people are catching up on threads they recently missed, or someone had a new thought. It's fine.

OP, have you checked out meetup.org yet? If you don't find a group, you can always create your own.

I went and checked out meetup today. There is the most awesome group in my town, evar. "Let's drink beer and play Scrabble" I say HELL YES. They ask that you are either a designated drinker or a designated driver and have it planned before you get there. So if you aren't into the drinking aspect, you just say you're being the DD and play some loosely organized Scrabble where rules are optional and 4-letter words are mandatory. Seems like all of the members are late 20's to late 30's and it meets within 2 miles of my house. Sounds like a good idea. I'll find out at the next meetup on Nov19th.

Hi, first off, I'm back! How is everyone?

Second, having had to do this with moving to a new city and starting at a new school, head out to sports bars and meet people there. If you go around 4 or 5 it won't be as crowded and you can easily strike up conversations with other people about teams, plays, stupid calls, etc.

[quote name='SoonerMatt']Hi, first off, I'm back! How is everyone?

Second, having had to do this with moving to a new city and starting at a new school, head out to sports bars and meet people there. If you go around 4 or 5 it won't be as crowded and you can easily strike up conversations with other people about teams, plays, stupid calls, etc.[/QUOTE]

so, uh, you pulled a finrats, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chika']OP, have you checked out meetup.org yet? If you don't find a group, you can always create your own.

I went and checked out meetup today. There is the most awesome group in my town, evar. "Let's drink beer and play Scrabble" [/QUOTE]That is the awesome. I'm jealous, I actually would go to that.

[quote name='Chika']i'm interested to see if the OP actually tried any of the advice given.[/QUOTE]

I'm interested too or maybe he just wanted to whine about his lonely life without actually doing anything about it. To OP: Meetup.com has been really useful and you should give it a try.

[quote name='perdition(troy']OP is out with his new friends.[/QUOTE]

Either that, or he gave up and moved to a shack in Wyoming and is about to become the next unibomber...

bread's done
Back