How long has your PS3 held up?

Original 60GB bought in Aug 07, died in Sept 08. Refurb replacement died within 3 months. Refurb replacement for the dead Refurb was sold off and bought a 80GB fatty non-BC.

80GB has been running 2 plus years now without a problem although lately I've noticed that it's getting louder especially if it's on several hours.

Bought my import 20GB from a fellow CAG back in '07. It's still up and running but no longer my main PS3. It's jet engine loud but I haven't had a problem yet.

I got a 250GB Slim for Father's Day last year and it's smooth like butta.

I've changed PS3 three times, but none due to failure. I started with a BC 80 Gb used, worked without problems for a few months, then black friday came along and I managed to purchase a new fat 80Gb family bundle (with PoTC BluRays + LBP + remote for $200), so I sold the old one for a small profit. Then on the next holiday sales I bought a 120 Gb Slim KZ2+Infamous bundle, sold the old unit and the games and I've been using the current one for over a year without any problems

Fat 80gb from January 2008 still running. Only upgraded the hard drive this year to a 320gb.

No issues. Primary uses are gaming and streaming from my WHS thru PS3MS.

Bought a 120 gb in Jan. 2010. I'm worried it's not going to hold up much longer, because I have quite a bit of freezing issues with games. Crossing my fingers...

I got the 80GB that was bundled with MGS4- never repaired or anything.

EDIT* I did upgrade the HD... but everyone does that.

Gah, I forgot to answer in my own thread. Bought the Amazon KZ2-inFamous 120GB bundle back on Black Friday 2009, died on me Feb of this year. Just got a new 160GB at Target with the $160 GC deal and been using that for......1 day!

Had one in October 2007, lasted till December 2010, bought a slim and it's been fine.

This thread has me nervous. I have a 60GB fat full bc with no problems but last week when watching a blu ray it got so loud. Even after the movie ended the fan was still running super loud. Is this a sign on imminent death?

In 2008 I bought my 80GB Motorstorm Bundle for 129.99. I am the second owner of the console and so far my 80GB is working well. The fans do kick in about 20-25 minutes though and sooner if its a PS2 game (I wonder why is that?). I take care of my PS3 I wipe it with a screen cloth and I vacuum all of the vents about 3 times a month. I have had it freeze a few times on me, and recently when I play Rock Band 3 it just goes back to the XMB. My PS3 is about 4 years old a and I have owned it for 3 of those years, I hope it lives to make it at least to 5 years or until I have a job to be able to fix it for repairs. I plan to keep this console permanently and I also want to upgrade the HD since I have about 9 GBs left.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']This thread has me nervous. I have a 60GB fat full bc with no problems but last week when watching a blu ray it got so loud. Even after the movie ended the fan was still running super loud. Is this a sign on imminent death?[/QUOTE]

If its your original system, and you've never changed the thermal paste, I can guarantee it needs it. Sony did a horrendous job with that, just Google it and you'll see what I mean.
If you're to afraid to do it yourself (which is a perfectly acceptable feeling), pay someone to do it. Hopefully that will fix all of your problems.

EDIT: and get it cleaned out too, because the dust it collects over the years... yeeesh!

My fat 80gb b/c motorstorm bundle was working 2 months ago, it also YLOD, got it fixed then died again in april so i got 3 and half year out of it. I am glad others are going strong unlike xbox360 which almost all of the people who i've known got RROD, some even went thru 4 xbox360 since the problem began. So i got say R.I.P ol' phat PS3, hello slim comin soon to my nearest living room.

80 gig non bc going for 3 years and strong. Alot more freezes than I would have liked but I think I played toooo much. Upgraded to 500gig (samsung spinpoint) for a little more than a year. No problems.My friends 80 gig metal gear ps3 is about 3 years. He keeps it in pristine condition but I know his is worse off than mine. His room gets hot as hell from the tv, ps3, xbox, etc. The fan of the ps3 just kicks on high after a short while from turning it on. Unfortunately, I can see it bricking from over heating. I love that metal gear ps3...

I have and 80gb Fat 4 Usb (ps2 working model) that i have had since release date have had to do some new heat sink compound i have both my 80gb HDD and a 160 for my ps3.

I had a 60GB that I got from trading on here, but it died December 09 (about 6 months later). But at that point, I had fallen in love, so I went out and got a Slim. Absolutely love it. Never used the BC anyway.

Got a 80GB non-BC Ps3 during the eBay 30%(or was it more?) cash back thing in fall of '08 I think for MSRP(-30%). Been working fine, never had a fan issue or anything.

wow this makes me wanna wait a few years before getting a new console after what happens to the 360 and ps3 issues.

but anyways

80 GB Phat ps3 - Bought it during the amazon promotion in november 2008. it was a deal where you get resistance 2 CE and dark knight blu ray all for $400. i thought it was a good deal then.

had it till january 2011. i sold it for $200. this was after i bought a PS3 BF bundle from AMWarehouse for $187. the phat had no problems what so ever. i probably used it for about 30-50 hours. maybe a little bit more.

I got an original 60 GB in December of 2007. It broke about a year later (something about the hard drive), and I sent back and they replaced it. I've had the replacement ever since.

I turned in my first ps3 and got a refurbished one from Sony. My 1st ps3 was starting to have graphical problems while I was playing some games. I got my new one sometime around November 2010. The refurbished 60gb that I have is running loudly I'm going to back up my info when I have time. I may get a new ps3 soon. I don't care about backwards compatibility anymore I have moved on from ps2 games. There is really not much that I'm interested in playing. Speaking of ps2 games I think I'm going to box them all up and put them away somewhere.

Bought my PS3 in December 2006 and it worked up until mid February. Don't know if I feel like sending it in to get fixed, Sony wants $130 which seems like a lot for a system that barely got played unless my 360 was broken.

Get this. I took a massive gamble and bought an 80GB (Non-BC) bundle off craigslist that he claimed was in great shape all for only $140 last year. To my surprise, the thing has never been repaired, opened, or modded in any way, and the thing is a beast!!! Still running strong after 2 owners.

On another note, my brother bought a brand new BC 80GB MGS4 bundle in '08 the day it came out, and the thing shit itself literally after ONE runthrough of MGS4. That turned me off to the PS3 and went with a 360 instead, but after I found my bundle for so cheap and given how great it is, all my fears were put to rest.

I still have my launch day 60gb and it works great. The 360 is my system of choice, but I play my ps3 when any exclusive game games out, watch movies and for ps2 games. I am quite impressed how long it has lasted. I had durability issues with my ps2's and ps1. My son got a ps3 also 2 years ago, which works great. My father in laws 80gb ps3 has been sent in for repairs many times due to discs freezing. I feel bad for him, because thats the only system he plays.

I hope my launch day ps3 never fails because i consider it the "holy grail" of ps3's

I still have my 60GB OG BC Console now with a 250GB hard Drive. The only problem with mine is the HDMI port is broke and I have not fixed it. Using just component cable for 1080i. Kinda sucks but I don't want to spend the money to fix it.

My original 80 GB BC PS3 lasted from DEC07 until around DEC10 (YLOD killed it and I also replaced the Blu-ray laser around MAY10). Now I think I'm using the second generation PS3 Slim.

Why do they have black consoles, it seems like it would keep the heat in the console and give it a better chance of breaking. My first ps3 broke in the summer heat only 15 months after i bought it. My slim ps3 doesn't appear to have enough vents and is now getting overly hot after only an hour of play with even nondisc games. I just don't get why all there systems are still black.

Launch 60 gigger still going strong. It gets used daily too. I use it for netflix daily and for gaming at least once a week or bidaily (depending on the game I'm playing). Every system I've ever owned I've just vacuumed it once a month or every few months and they've all lasted to their next generation counter part. I hope the same can be said of my current PS3!

I had my 60GB from july 07 and sold it july 2010 because I won a slim ps3 and decided to use that one. Definitely a solid system.

I have a phat 80GB refurb (got it via my friend's Sony employee discount) that's never let me down. Once a month or so I take it out back, fire up the air-compressor and blast all the dust out.

@Peloquin> RIGHT ON! Wizards is an awesome movie. Ralph Bakshi has such a neat gritty visual style and the characters have Very underground 70s like Harry Crumb or Gilbert Sheldon.

Man... I remember the days when all you had to do was blow out the cart to get the game to fire up, not having to take an air-compressor to the whole system every few weeks to make sure the thing just works. Changing times.

Sad times now when there are threads about how long it too for your $600 system to break... 2 years say some. Look at my SNES. I got it when I was 2, and I'm 22 now; still works great and the game that originally came with it still has a working save battery. That's quality built

My 20GB PS3 finally died today. I honestly expected it to happen. I already moved onto my slim a while ago though. Now I gotta figure out what to do with it.

Using my original 40GB PS3. I bought it around Christmas Time 2007. I use it regularly and have never had a problem. Put a 250GB HDD in about a week ago.

So if your PS3 dies after a mandatory firmware update is installed, does anyone think you could sue Sony in small claims court for the cost of a new PS3 and win?

[quote name='MSUHitman']So if your PS3 dies after a mandatory firmware update is installed, does anyone think you could sue Sony in small claims court for the cost of a new PS3 and win?[/QUOTE]

Doubtful. You have to agree to all that legalize when you go to download it and I am sure their asses are covered by all of it. Plus, they can always say you were not required to upgrade your PS3. You only had to update to get back online, not to use the device as it's main function of playing games and online is considered an extra feature.

Note: I am not saying I agree with this view, just answering the question asked.

I still have my backwards compatible 60 GB system that I got in... Oct 2007, I believe? I haven't had any problems with it and it's still chugging along but I'm thinking about upgrading and selling it anyway. For three reasons: The hard drive is full and I need a larger one, most PS One games that I want can be downloaded from the Playstation Network and I'm partially worried that the wear and tear and age might become a factor in it eventually dying out so I might go ahead and get a slim system to avoid that.

I've got the 80 GB BC model that came with the MGS4 bundle. Bought it June 5th, 2008, which happened to be a week before it was supposed to come out(thank you random WalMart employee!). Finally broke down last November and upgraded the HDD to a 640 GB one. Still runs just like the day I bought it... Super quietly too, I might add.

Grabbed a 250gb in January 2010 and has worked with no problems. Bought a 60gb BC from a guy last summer for $150 and have not had problems with it either (but I do use it sparingly).

bread's done
Back