Humble Bundle #2 (Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans)

I'm sure they realize some people will pay a lot less given the opportunity to, and some people will actually spend more given the same opportunity to.

So really, some people need to get off their high horses. I'm sure they live perfect lives everyone can agree to love them for. :roll:

[quote name='Ichigo1993']You can do whatever you want. You're just a douche for paying for something that's intended to help charity. If more than anything, they paid money for the servers and the fees associated with paypal. If you're only going to spend one cent, don't even bother.[/QUOTE]

Let's see... if its games I'm not sure I would want, for charities I'm not sure I would want to support am I just expected to give money for the sake? or just pass on them for moralities sake?

I think they have a cheap option for a reason... They are in the spirit of things. If people get if or cheap maybe they don't mind. Whoever donated the games or server space did so with a giving heart and probably a good tax deduction, etc.

There is nothing to say someone won't pay a penny for the bundle.. absolutely love some of the games and then come back and rebuy it and pay what they feel it is worth. Or better yet maybe someone pays a penny for it and loves them and decides to give gifts to others that include a charitable contribution in their name and the games.

Or maybe they pay a penny now and love em and next year pay more because of it.

You really never know.

I want to pay the least amount, I want to play the games and if I love em and really think they are worth more I'll come back and donate accordingly. No one is in any position to judge anyone else.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Let's see... if its games I'm not sure I would want, for charities I'm not sure I would want to support am I just expected to give money for the sake? or just pass on them for moralities sake?[/QUOTE]

You don't support the Electronic Frontier Foundation? Wow. Here are some of their past legal victories:

http://www.eff.org/victories

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Let's see... if its games I'm not sure I would want, for charities I'm not sure I would want to support am I just expected to give money for the sake? or just pass on them for moralities sake?

I think they have a cheap option for a reason... They are in the spirit of things. If people get if or cheap maybe they don't mind. Whoever donated the games or server space did so with a giving heart and probably a good tax deduction, etc.

There is nothing to say someone won't pay a penny for the bundle.. absolutely love some of the games and then come back and rebuy it and pay what they feel it is worth. Or better yet maybe someone pays a penny for it and loves them and decides to give gifts to others that include a charitable contribution in their name and the games.

Or maybe they pay a penny now and love em and next year pay more because of it.

You really never know.

I want to pay the least amount, I want to play the games and if I love em and really think they are worth more I'll come back and donate accordingly. No one is in any position to judge anyone else.[/QUOTE]

So just torrent them and save their bandwidth/not make them pay a fee for your cheapness.

I mean you couldn't even give them a dollar for five games?

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
I want to pay the least amount, I want to play the games and if I love em and really think they are worth more I'll come back and donate accordingly. No one is in any position to judge anyone else.[/QUOTE]

Quoted to see if you donate more in the future. I'm guessing probably not.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Why would i do something illegal?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BlazeP']Ah, but that would be illegal.[/QUOTE]

Ripping off a charity effort (giving them nothing due to processing fees while still downloading all the games from their servers) and bragging about it on a forum is ok but saving their bandwidth by going through alternative means is wrong?

[quote name='illennium']You don't support the Electronic Frontier Foundation? Wow. Here are some of their past legal victories:

http://www.eff.org/victories[/QUOTE]

Honestly around the holidays I would rather support charities that give to the truly needy with things like food and toys and housing. My donation to Child's Play comes through the CAG Fund/Raffle so I see no moral obligation to donate again.

Like I said, the people donating the games/servers will get a nice tax deduction and the charities will not lose money for us penny pinchers.

[quote name='Sporadic']Ripping off a charity effort (giving them nothing due to processing fees while still downloading all the games from their servers) and bragging about it on a forum is ok but saving their bandwidth by going through alternative means is wrong?[/QUOTE]

You can't seem to understand that no one gets ripped off. And no one is bragging. Isn't it common courtesy to acknowledge to the OP that you took advantage of their deal? Is it bragging when people post they gave 5 or 10 bucks? Isn't bragging about charitible contributions defeating the purpose?

I gave $10 bucks. Gave ~40% to the Devs and 50% to Child's Play and 10% to Humble as a Tip I guess. I love the EFF, but Child's Play is a much better charity for this time of year, doing much more grass roots and helping individuals.

They've done $87,000 in sales today, I'm guessing, if that counter is right. That is insane (and awesome)

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']You can't seem to understand that no one gets ripped off.[/QUOTE]

They put up five games in the hopes of raising money for charity (and maybe getting paid for being willing to put their items up for a good cause)
You download 5 games from their server.
They don't get anything from you since your $0.01 goes straight to Paypal/whoever due to processing fees.

How is that not ripping them off?

But whatever be happy you contributed nothing to an awesome cause. I don't plan on responding to you anymore in here. If you don't get it, you don't get it.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Indeed. If they lose money on a penny they really should mark a minimum donation where they break even.[/QUOTE]

it's digital copies, it costs them nothing to sell these, developers are aware that people who pay a penny are the type of people who would have pirated there games anyways and I'm sure they rather get a penny then get nothing, since eventually millions of pennys add up.

I donated $5.

So are we to assume we will be able to activate the humble bundle 2 on steam eventually? Ill donate 5 bucks twice for 2 keys if so.

Already had a couple of the games but dropped $10 on the rest...about what I'd pay if I was going to get them on Steam during a good sale (which is almost the only time I buy games on Steam) plus a little extra for charity.

[quote name='RockMySocks10']it's digital copies, it costs them nothing to sell these, developers are aware that people who pay a penny are the type of people who would have pirated there games anyways and I'm sure they rather get a penny then get nothing, since eventually millions of pennys add up.

I donated $5.[/QUOTE]

It actually still does cost them money, through bandwidth and server costs, as well as paypal fees. I'm broke and down to double digits for my savings but I still wouldn't want to pay less than a dollar. That being said people are free to do as they please thats why they don't even set a minimum amount.

[quote name='RockMySocks10']it's digital copies, it costs them nothing to sell these...[/QUOTE]

That's not quite true. Hosting and bandwidth aren't free, and it takes time to setup, manage and coordinate this type of effort. If a million people only paid 1-cent and then downloaded all the games, I'm pretty sure they would end up losing money.

Great cause and i will be getting this soon as i can. I think this is a great opportunity here but i think ppl shouldnt judge others by what they paid/contributed. If they donated less than you then leave it at that but kudos to yourself for coining up

[quote name='illennium']You don't support the Electronic Frontier Foundation? Wow. Here are some of their past legal victories:

http://www.eff.org/victories[/QUOTE]

In addition to that, I find it hard to believe that anyone who posts on this site wouldn't support Child's Play.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Not to be rude or overzealous, but I hope you're joking. The last time there was a Humble Indie Bundle, CAG's were bragging about how little they contributed. (In addition, I believe anything under 50 cents results in nothing but fees for the PayPal user.)

Wargamer said it best.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that mark is around $0.30, but can't find a source to back it up. It was either from the first Humble Indie Bundle or the World of Goo sale, but I can't find the link that gives the minimum amount.

[quote name='Meeza']It actually still does cost them money, through bandwidth and server costs, as well as paypal fees. I'm broke and down to double digits for my savings but I still wouldn't want to pay less than a dollar. That being said people are free to do as they please thats why they don't even set a minimum amount.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

[quote name='thetruelokre'][rant about how sleazy it is to brag about short changing a worthy cause and/or charity.]

[general smack talk regarding a lack of morals]

[realization that there's no hope for humanity]

[statement of disappointment][/QUOTE]

Pretty much. :whistle2:(

In for $10 if I like Cortex Command or Revenge of the Titans I will give them more I really want to support these indie devs some of them make great little games I never would have thought to try.

Oh sweet, another great bundle! Interesting this one follows closely on the heels of the first's steam activation keys. Not a coincidence for sure, given the potential "warm glow" effects the keys probably generated.

There is some interesting discussion on the pay-what-you-want price model. In some cases, companies make more money this way. :applause:
I'm sure there is some benefit to the peer-pressure bullying being utilized in this thread.

Some light reading for those interested:
http://arstechnica.com/science/news...nt-benefits-companies-consumers-charities.ars

-

I already have Machinarium and Osmos from some other deal, I think on Steam. Braid is of interest, as is Cortex Command, though, and I know I'll be in the minority on this, Cortex Command would be A LOT more appealing to me if it didn't have blood and went for a cartoonish approach. I'll not have anyone to play coop with because of that - I'm not going to play it with my (young) kids. So that sucks. Maybe there's a way to turn off the blood, though. Anyway, the biggest problem is that I just don't really play games on my computer that much, so I'm waffling. I'll probably bite, though, given the charity aspect.

[quote name='RockMySocks10']it's digital copies, it costs them nothing to sell these, developers are aware that people who pay a penny are the type of people who would have pirated there games anyways and I'm sure they rather get a penny then get nothing, since eventually millions of pennys add up.

I donated $5.[/QUOTE]

I don't think they'd rather get a penny than nothing.. considering as mentioned above it costs money to maintain a server etc.. There's licensing fees as well, why do you think some games on steam on the $2 sales "run out of keys". You have to have paperwork to back up those digital copies. But anyway you donated $5 which is awesome, better than a penny.

Regarding the paying a penny controversy. They allow you to pay a penny. The devs know exactly what they are getting into by allowing you to pay only a penny, so therefore it is OK to pay that. I wouldn't brag about it though, because you're an ass. Still, it's allowed, so go for it if you are an ASS. Hopefully they make up the difference via the big money donators.

[quote name='plutoknight']I gave $10 bucks. Gave ~40% to the Devs and 50% to Child's Play and 10% to Humble as a Tip I guess. I love the EFF, but Child's Play is a much better charity for this time of year, doing much more grass roots and helping individuals.

They've done $87,000 in sales today, I'm guessing, if that counter is right. That is insane (and awesome)[/QUOTE]

Sounds on par with the first bundle. From eff.org:

"Wolfire's first pay-what-you-want Humble Indie Bundle raised $1 million dollars in ten days, $180,000 of which customers earmarked for EFF."

What then is the proposed minimum donation one can give without costing them money?
And even then, is it wrong to take them free, or is it proper to give them some profit margin?
What then is that margin and minimum donation?
When Steam runs a very good sale, are we careful to make sure that utilizing their sale leaves them enough profit margin too?

I really don't understand the outward moaning about "how much" people have spent. If it's a problem for them, they'll change their model. Isn't that exactly how trade works?

[quote name='Nova_01']What then is the proposed minimum donation one can give without costing them money?
And even then, is it wrong to take them free, or is it proper to give them some profit margin?
When Steam runs a very good sale, are we careful to make sure that utilizing their sale leaves them enough profit margin too?

I really don't understand the outward moaning about "how much" people have spent. If it's a problem for them, they'll change their model. Isn't that exactly how trade works?[/QUOTE]

I enjoy the discussion as well.

If they set a minimum donation I would be fine paying. I also fail to see that great of a difference between paying .01 and 1.00 to be honest.

Developers are well aware that many people will choose to use this as a free demo (well a penny demo) - it is good advertising for them, good way to get their product out there, etc. They make their money back easily.

Also, I don't see why people assume declaring what you paid is "bragging" about anything. That's an inference people draw not something I've seen anyone actually do in this thread.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I enjoy the discussion as well.

If they set a minimum donation I would be fine paying. I also fail to see that great of a difference between paying .01 and 1.00 to be honest.

Developers are well aware that many people will choose to use this as a free demo (well a penny demo) - it is good advertising for them, good way to get their product out there, etc. They make their money back easily.

Also, I don't see why people assume declaring what you paid is "bragging" about anything. That's an inference people draw not something I've seen anyone actually do in this thread.[/QUOTE]

I think paying a buck is 100x better then paying a penny.

Mathematically, sure, but does it make that great of a difference? Where do we draw the line? How much does it really cost for them to deliver the "free" game gifts that they give with the donation.

If we're up in arms about the developer "losing" money then should those who give the minimum x amount of cents to cover those costs be absolved?

Or are we up in arms about not supporting a charity? If so what is the minimum to give to a charity, etc. I see some people giving a ton more money to the developer than the charity, should it be the other way around? Who is better? etc.

basically, depends one how one sees things... and the best policy is just to worry about your own donation and not the next man.

[quote name='Sporadic']They put up five games in the hopes of raising money for charity (and maybe getting paid for being willing to put their items up for a good cause)
You download 5 games from their server.
They don't get anything from you since your $0.01 goes straight to Paypal/whoever due to processing fees.

How is that not ripping them off?[/QUOTE]

!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Mathematically, sure, but does it make that great of a difference? Where do we draw the line? How much does it really cost for them to deliver the "free" game gifts that they give with the donation.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

At least 30 cents. And that's not including bandwidth or server costs - that's just the transaction fees.

I paid 3.00, sorry guys :(. I only have $10 in the bank and that is for gas :'(. Im going to starve lol. Oh god and steams sales are almost here DX

Look, we all know that paying a penny or flat-out stealing the games are options. Nobody's arguing that. But if you're going to come in here and brag that you only paid a penny and expect congratulations or positive affirmation...you're going to be disappointed.

[quote name='Phrozenx']I paid 3.00, sorry guys :(. I only have $10 in the bank and that is for gas :'(. Im going to starve lol. Oh god and steams sales are almost here DX[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's still better than some of the jackasses in this thread. That's high enough where some of that will go to the developers or charities depending on what split you picked. :)

[quote name='Sporadic']

How is that not ripping them off?

.[/QUOTE]
How IS it ripping them off, when they fully understand this possibility. This isn't swindling. They ALLOW it in their model. And KNOW it happens. This isn't their first rodeo.

[quote name='redlupine']

EDIT:
lol, #1 contributor so far paid $666[/QUOTE]
Like I said earlier. They fully understand that some people will pay less because they can and some people will pay more because they can.
They leave this open, and aren't losing anything. If they were, they wouldn't allow this no minimum donation.

[quote name='chuckywang']What is the general consensus among CAGs about the "right" amount to pay? $10? More? Less?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Nova_01']What then is the proposed minimum donation one can give without costing them money?
[/QUOTE]

I was still waiting for that answer too.

nice, i will buy 20 for $0.01 and sell it on ebay for 5.- each! :cool:

just j/k btw, bought a copy for $10 although i already have 3/5 games. but i like the idea and want to support it. and no, i'm not super rich

I bought a game the other day for 80 Microsoft points. The points I purchased 40 percent off. Meaning I bought a game that retails on Amazon for $16, I purchased for 60 cents. Should I have not bought that as well, because it was a rip off?
Where was the long thread about bandwidth costs when GFW was running their sales. Or sold Age of "whatever" for ten cents?

Does anyone even realize what site we're on?

I think the site rules state:

1. All money you save on CAG during the year must then be thrown away on charities during the holidays or else a few altruistic CAGs will get upset.

I'm still trying to download Machinarium but having no luck it keeps stopping at 1% downloaded....anyone else having trouble

This isn't all that different than when an app goes free for a short while on the Apple iOS store, it generates buzz for the games and word of mouth. The developers chose to allow someone to pay a cent for the game and they are well aware many people will pay that, it is still not a loss for them because its getting their game out there. Also, they get a ton of free advertising from major gaming sites because of the deal. The fact that you can choose to give the developers money in addition to or actually in place of charities(the default split heavily favors the money going to developers at 67%), along with the attention this bundle brings, indicates to me this is more than just them being charitable to Child's Play but also making a savvy business decision. There is already $200,000 in revenue, if most people don't change the defaults that projects to a pretty big chunk of dough by the time this is all said and done.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chuckywang']What is the general consensus among CAGs about the "right" amount to pay? $10? More? Less?[/QUOTE]

There is no "right" amount, but there really isn't an excuse for paying so little that you don't cover the Paypal fees and bandwidth cost. I'd say $1 for the bare minimum; personally, I'm probably going to put in $5 or $10.

[quote name='Nova_01']I bought a game the other day for 80 Microsoft points. The points I purchased 40 percent off. Meaning I bought a game that retails on Amazon for $16, I purchased for 60 cents. Should I have not bought that as well, because it was a rip off?
Where was the long thread about bandwidth costs when GFW was running their sales. Or sold Age of "whatever" for ten cents?

Does anyone even realize what site we're on?[/QUOTE]

You're comparing apples to giraffes. In other words, that doesn't make any sense at all, because that situation has no parallel to this one.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I think the site rules state:

1. All money you save on CAG during the year must then be thrown away on charities during the holidays or else a few altruistic CAGs will get upset.[/QUOTE]

You're either a complete fucking idiot, or a troll. Probably both.

The reason people are mad at you isn't because of some twisted semantic argument - it's because you paid a fucking penny and have spent all day trying to defend that. I'm not asking for overwhelming altruism - I'm asking for "don't be a dick and pay at least enough to cover the costs they incur by running the offer."

Again, saving is why we are all here, true. But being a Cheap Ass when a Charity is involved cuts the Cheap from Cheap Ass.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
You're comparing apples to giraffes. In other words, that doesn't make any sense at all, because that situation has no parallel to this one.
[/QUOTE]

With no explanation as to why you feel this way, the opinion isn't very worthwhile.

If the issue is them losing money due to the cost of fee and bandwidth, then I don't see how there is no parallel when ten cents in either situation goes just as far.

Is it also rude to download free demos one isn't paying directly for when we all know about the loses they incur from bandwidth.

bread's done
Back