Humble Bundle #2 (Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans)

[quote name='Rollobobo']I'm still trying to download Machinarium but having no luck it keeps stopping at 1% downloaded....anyone else having trouble[/QUOTE]

I have been trying to download it for hours. Chatting with them they said the server is having trouble dealing with all the downloads. Hopefully they will fix it soon. I am already done downloading all the other ones.

And I only paid $2 because I am a seriously broke college student and couldn't afford more. I would have gladly paid a lot more if I had it.

[quote name='Rabidmuskrat']Anyone know what the "Humble Tip" part is?[/QUOTE]

Basically to support this type of thing, and cover for the bandwidth costs, etc.

[quote name='Rabidmuskrat']Anyone know what the "Humble Tip" part is?[/QUOTE]

The sale is still being organized by Wolfire Games, though the development studio doesn't have any of its titles in the Bundle this year. That said, generous gamers can still throw a little money Wolfire's way via the "Humble Tip" option.

Its a way to give back to the people who put this all together.

just gave $10, I was a huge fan of this last year and again this year. remember to tell your friends, I got a few of my non-gamer friends to buy on the principle that it was for charity/developers

I bought 2 copies for 2 bucks each. 1 Dollar to the devs, 1 dollar to childs play. Id of paid more if I could have immediately downloaded them on steam. If I cant download them on steam eventually I wont play or download them at all.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']There is no "right" amount, but there really isn't an excuse for paying so little that you don't cover the Paypal fees and bandwidth cost. I'd say $1 for the bare minimum; personally, I'm probably going to put in $5 or $10.

You're comparing apples to giraffes. In other words, that doesn't make any sense at all, because that situation has no parallel to this one.

You're either a complete fucking idiot, or a troll. Probably both.

The reason people are mad at you isn't because of some twisted semantic argument - it's because you paid a fucking penny and have spent all day trying to defend that. I'm not asking for overwhelming altruism - I'm asking for "don't be a dick and pay at least enough to cover the costs they incur by running the offer."[/QUOTE]

I love how people miss the point of these types of things completely. When I was in high school we used to do car wash fundraisers pay what you want no minimum donation.

Sure some people didn't pay enough to cover the water and cleaning materials, but we didn't wash their cars any less or complain about it. We certainly didn't have a bunch of fools not even involved in our cause standing on the sidewalk heckling those people!

When you do these types of things you do them for a certain reason and with a certain spirit.

Thank god these devs and charities didn't hire some of you sad CAGs as their reps! Imagine that "donate more or you suck troll!" - way to raise money for a good cause!

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I love how people miss the point of these types of things completely. When I was in high school we used to do car wash fundraisers pay what you want no minimum donation.

Sure some people didn't pay enough to cover the water and cleaning materials, but we didn't wash their cars any less or complain about it. We certainly didn't have a bunch of fools not even involved in our cause standing on the sidewalk heckling those people!

When you do these types of things you do them for a certain reason and with a certain spirit.

Thank god these devs and charities didn't hire some of you sad CAGs as their reps! Imagine that "donate more or you suck troll!" - way to raise money for a good cause![/QUOTE]

QFE, thank you.

[quote name='Nova_01']With no explanation as to why you feel this way, the opinion isn't very worthwhile.

If the issue is them losing money due to the cost of fee and bandwidth, then I don't see how there is no parallel when ten cents in either situation goes just as far.

Is it also rude to download free demos one isn't paying directly for when we all know about the loses they incur from bandwidth.[/QUOTE]

The point discount came from a third-party retailer. Microsoft had no say in it, and it didn't affect their pricing...and they still made a profit, because odds are whoever discounted the points would have paid Microsoft whatever the wholesale rate for them was.

Again, not comparable at all.

Same thing with the demos - those are free in anticipation of future sales generated by the demo. I think we all know damn well that the vast majority of people pirating or paying a penny have no intention of ever giving money to the bundle.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I love how people miss the point of these types of things completely. When I was in high school we used to do car wash fundraisers pay what you want no minimum donation.

Thank god these devs and charities didn't hire some of you sad CAGs as their reps! Imagine that "donate more or you suck troll!" - way to raise money for a good cause![/QUOTE]

You're still completely missing the point. It's not "donate more or you suck" - it's you're not donating AT ALL. You're just taking. Taking the product for what's going to be a loss to the provider and then bragging about it isn't in the "certain reason" or "certain spirit" behind the promotion.

Notice how I'm not bitching out the people who are throwing in a dollar or two? That's because at least some fraction of what they're paying is going to the developers or charities.

Like I've already said, nothing stops you from paying that little. I just don't see how you can justify it.

I am not bragging. You keep insisting I am bragging. Goodness, next time I do this I will simply just thank the OP to avoid this! Everyone is posting "IN PAID X AMOUNT" - no one is getting on them for "bragging" - I simply did the same to acknowledge to the OP I took advantage of the deal. Nothing more, nothing less.

The problem here is not that anyone is "bragging" it is that YOU think people should donate at least a dollar or whatever arbitrary number you choose and YOU are getting upset when people don't.

I have yet to see someone brag about anything.

I'm donating a penny - are they technically losing money? maybe - not my fault though.

If I think the change I throw into the salvation army bucket isn't going to cover their operating costs am I horrible for throwing it in anyways? If a charity offers me a free cup of coffee or snack to listen to their 5 minute speech and I decide not to donate does that make me horrible?

The reality you don't seem to get is that they have their budget and cost covered every step of the way. They throw the net and reel in what they can. Just like any sort of advertising. Companies lose money demoing games but they gain it back when just a fraction of those demoing purchase. Same principle.

The only good thing about some of you guys stubborness is that it keeps this thread at the top of the page so others who are Grinches like me will keep seeing and donate!

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']

Same thing with the demos - those are free in anticipation of future sales generated by the demo. I think we all know damn well that the vast majority of people pirating or paying a penny have no intention of ever giving money to the bundle.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe they don't have any intention of giving money to the bundle, but they may have never had an interest that they will now develop and create future sales on the strength of. It is VERY comparable to the idea of demos.
And many more demos are downloaded than the actual number of sales they help push, I'm sure, even if this is purely anecdotal. And when the games these demos help move are 1 dollar games, what then is the difference between the price of the purchase and the costs they have incurred from the bandwidth of these downloads (the game and the demo) and the transaction fees that might be applicable.

No one can come up with a reasonable minimum price either, because there is none. Just argue about what is not right with faulty logic that doesn't remain consistent throughout.
These people have an idea of "fairness" that doesn't lend itself to the purpose of this site at all. Nothing immoral has gone on as long as a price was paid.

I think the people arguing for their "losses" are both making mountains of mole hills, and thankfully not in anyones marketing department, because they clearly don't understand a bigger picture. Or that this situation is only unique in that there's a choice given to the consumer. Otherwise, the idea of taking a loss for a future gain is still in play here.

Paying 1 penny for this is basically the same thing as sharing your download link with friends. Both are possible (even though there are channels they can take to try and close those holes) and both are using their resources without contributing anything to the cause (again because they don't get that penny you "paid")

Paying 2/10th of a penny per game is insulting. The fact people are trying to defend that action is disgusting.

[quote name='Nova_01']No one can come up with a reasonable minimum price either, because there is none. Just argue about what is not right with faulty logic that doesn't remain consistent throughout.
These people have an idea of "fairness" that doesn't lend itself to the purpose of this site at all. Nothing immoral has gone on as long as a price was paid. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']:roll:

At least 30 cents. And that's not including bandwidth or server costs - that's just the transaction fees.[/QUOTE]

And please don't try to say that this is what this site is about (I have been here pretty much since the beginning). This isn't fatwallet.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox'] If a charity offers me a free cup of coffee or snack to listen to their 5 minute speech and I decide not to donate does that make me horrible?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it kind of does actually, you can just choose to not take the coffee if there is an expected contribution. Hey, I don't have a problem with you donating a penny, but I don't understand why you're upset when people call you a douche when really you brought it on yourself by saying how much you gave.

[quote name='Ribkage']I bought 2 copies for 2 bucks each. 1 Dollar to the devs, 1 dollar to childs play. Id of paid more if I could have immediately downloaded them on steam. If I cant download them on steam eventually I wont play or download them at all.[/QUOTE]
I think they stopped a lot of sales because they didn't include Steam from the start

I might just donate a dollar and be done with it, if the games aren't in Steam I wont bother downloading and playing the games

[quote name='docvinh'] when really you brought it on yourself by saying how much you gave.[/QUOTE]

The same way they did when they said "here, these are our terms. you can do this"?

What am I missing?

[quote name='docvinh']Yeah, it kind of does actually, you can just choose to not take the coffee if there is an expected contribution. Hey, I don't have a problem with you donating a penny, but I don't understand why you're upset when people call you a douche when really you brought it on yourself by saying how much you gave.[/QUOTE]

yea, seriously. pay whatever you want, just don't announce it and expect zero fallout

In for one for $1. Hard to justify more right now given that I have a backlog at the moment large enough that I still haven't even touched last year's bundle.

if you were to throw 1 penny into a Salvation Army bucket, I'm pretty sure they would be upset, even if they put on a happy face.

I agree with everyone. Don't be a douche, donate a dollar. No one here is too poor to donate a dollar for a bunch of games. You're just being selfish by donating a penny. That's really what it comes down to.

[quote name='Nova_01']The same way they did when they said "here, these are our terms. you can do this"?

What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I have no problem with him donating a penny, but how does that excuse him from being criticized? I didn't say it was wrong, I just said it was wrong for him to not expect to be criticized.

[quote name='Nova_01']The same way they did when they said "here, these are our terms. you can do this"?

What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

It also possible for me to post my download link here and let everybody download these games from it. Is it their fault for not putting certain hurdles to stop me from sharing my download link or is it my fault for taking advantage of them?

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']How big is the total download/install size?[/QUOTE]

With additional MP3 soundtrack bonuses, 822 MB

Just the 5 games is 625 MB

I would argue a donation that doesn't at least cover the basic costs should be considered unethical. Like all possibly unethical behavior it is likely to be judged by those who are unethical in different ways. At the end of the day you are free to do what you want, but don't necessarily expect positive posts just because something isn't against the rules.

[quote name='TimTucker']In for one for $1. Hard to justify more right now given that I have a backlog at the moment large enough that I still haven't even touched last year's bundle.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel too bad. Revenge of the Titans and Osmos wouldn't even run for me, Cortex Command is incomplete, Machinarium is pretty terrible (unless you like point+click games, and even then you probably wouldn't like this), and you've probably already played Braid.

[quote name='Sporadic']It also possible for me to post my download link here and let everybody download these games from it. Is it their fault for not putting certain securities to stop me from sharing my download link or is it my fault for taking advantage of them?[/QUOTE]

There is a huge difference between doing something legally and in a licensed manner, no matter how douchey some of you idiots think it is, and doing something illegal.

What you guys don't understand is at the the end of the day Developer X is going to say "We donated X amount of games to charity at X RETAIL value" and are going to take a tax deduction for that amount...they get a positive benefit in their book no matter what.

I don't really care about being "criticized" - I'm not trying to defend my actions against people who are illogical.

The point here is twofold:

1. You do not know the intention of people here. If I do not like a "gift" I get for a donation it won't affect my decision to donate or not. How many people pay a penny to try out the gift and then donate later? No one knows that, you guys are making assumptions you have no backing on. Sure a lot of people will donate a penny and nothing more which leads me to...

2. These devs are getting a huge benefit here even if they get 1000000 people who donate a penny. They know it, it's damn smart business on their part. It seems a ton of you are unable to process that in your "charitable" minds.

I'll keep my charitable contribution to Child Play's limited to the Fund/Raffle and hope I can sleep at night.

[quote name='docvinh']Like I said, I have no problem with him donating a penny, but how does that excuse him from being criticized? I didn't say it was wrong, I just said it was wrong for him to not expect to be criticized.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was wrong for him to expect not to be criticized. But that doesn't mean its necessarily right to criticize about it either. Somebodies going to. I'd just feel like the asshole to actually do it. They know and they're fine with it. I'm sure they have their reasons, or they'd disallow it.

[quote name='Sporadic']It also possible for me to post my download link here and let everybody download these games from it. Is it their fault for not putting certain hurdles to stop me from sharing my download link or is it my fault for taking advantage of them?
[/QUOTE]

Its not about hurdles. One is explicitly allowed. One is not.

Already 7 pages of THEIR INDIE DEVS ITS CHARITY MAN IM DONATING A LOT OF MONEY.

I hate this preening nonsense so much I couldn't in good conscience donate real money to them. Maybe I'm too touchy but damn.

Sorry, Amazon returned the following error:

Transaction amount must be greater than "Recipient Fee" liability

This seems to show up for some very small credit card purchases on certain
credit cards.

I believe this is because Amazon doesn't allow transactions where they lose
money. Please increase your donation amount slightly or give PayPal a try. I
am very sorry for this inconvenience!

Click here to go back and try again.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Already 7 pages of THEIR INDIE DEVS ITS CHARITY MAN IM DONATING A LOT OF MONEY.

I hate this preening nonsense so much I couldn't in good conscience donate real money to them. Maybe I'm too touchy but damn.[/QUOTE]

DanHibikiCOOLSTORYBRO-1.jpg

[quote name='Nova_01']Its not about hurdles. One is explicitly allowed. One is not.[/QUOTE]

But they don't try to stop it. If they didn't want me to share my download link, they would put some type of system in place to stop me. It's not my fault they let me do that.

And in case you havent figured it out...that is basically the same argument you are using to try to justify only donating 1 penny

[quote name='Sporadic']But they don't try to stop it. If they didn't want me to share my download link, they would put some type of system in place to stop me.[/QUOTE]

Flawless logic. :applause:

I guess if society didn't want me to go on a crime spree they would have permanently disabled me at birth! I guess since I am an abled body individual I can ignore laws and do what I want.

I love how us people responding to idiots criticizing others for no reason are labeled "trolls." But you do have a point... the more people mind their business, the less other people are inclined to respond to their foolishness.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Flawless logic. :applause:

I guess if society didn't want me to go on a crime spree they would have permanently disabled me at birth! I guess since I am an abled body individual I can ignore laws and do what I want.[/QUOTE]

if you can get away with it, everything's legal.

Thanks! Was waiting for this, missed out on the first one. Going to donate $10 right now but maybe a bit more later on.

Seeing as how Braid AND Machinarium are on there, I can't really say no. Win/Win everywhere!

[quote name='RollingSkull']Already 7 pages of THEIR INDIE DEVS ITS CHARITY MAN IM DONATING A LOT OF MONEY.

I hate this preening nonsense so much I couldn't in good conscience donate real money to them. Maybe I'm too touchy but damn.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen a single person claim they're donating a lot of money. Lord knows I haven't. Just people saying they're paying reasonable amounts, or a penny.

[quote name='Sporadic']And please don't try to say that this is what this site is about (I have been here pretty much since the beginning). This isn't fatwallet.[/QUOTE]

Again, never said that, and not planning to. I've been here longer than you. ;)

I guess I expected better from the community based on the huge amounts we've raised for Child's Play in the past. Of course, I also know i shouldn't extrapolate the actions of a few assholes to the community at large, so...I won't.

Most of the people here would jump on pricing mistakes or try to worm their way to the lowest price they can; I've done that myself plenty of times. Given the causes here, though, I don't think it's that unreasonable to try and encourage people just this once not to give in to that side. And I know that, for the most part, that's probably going to be what happens.

There are always a few, though...

[quote name='Sporadic']But they don't try to stop it. If they didn't want me to share my download link, they would put some type of system in place to stop me. It's not my fault they let me do that.

And in case you havent figured it out...that is basically the same argument you are using to try to justify only donating 1 penny
[/QUOTE]

Both cases rely on assuming you'll be a decent human being. That didn't happen last year, and probably won't this year either.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Again, never said that, and not planning to. I've been here longer than you. ;)[/QUOTE]

I was talking to the guy above your quote, not you :) (I was using your post to answer his question so I didn't have to retype it)

[quote name='Nova_01']No one can come up with a reasonable minimum price either, because there is none. Just argue about what is not right with faulty logic that doesn't remain consistent throughout.
These people have an idea of "fairness" that doesn't lend itself to the purpose of this site at all. Nothing immoral has gone on as long as a price was paid. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']I was talking to the guy above your quote, not you :) (I was using your post to answer his question so I didn't have to retype it)[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. :cool:

I wish I could pay more for this one, but all I can spare is 10 bucks. With school starting in January my finances are a bit strained =(

Generally speaking are the system requirements pretty low on these? I don't have anything resembling a power gaming rig, but I can run Super Meat Boy and the Telltale Sam & Max games without a problem.

Has anyone got Machaniarium to download completely....it gets to 3.8 megabytes downloaded and just freezes at that point....it has done this since I bought it around noon today. I have retried downloading it a few times now and keep running into the same issue. Every other game downloaded, but not Machanarium. Anybody having the same problem?!?!

[quote name='BustaUppa']Generally speaking are the system requirements pretty low on these? I don't have anything resembling a power gaming rig, but I can run Super Meat Boy and the Telltale Sam & Max games without a problem.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand all of these are 2D and should run fine on anything that isn't 10-15 years old.

Osmos might be taxing with all that's going on.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Has anyone got Machaniarium to download completely....it gets to 3.8 megabytes downloaded and just freezes at that point....it has done this since I bought it around noon today. I have retried downloading it a few times now and keep running into the same issue. Every other game downloaded, but not Machanarium. Anybody having the same problem?!?![/QUOTE]
Same thing here. From what I read, the guys behind this deal know about the issue (it's just with the Machinarium download) and are working it out with the file-serving company.

I put thirty bucks toward the first one, but the only one I'd already owned that time around was World of Goo. I want to help this time around but own three of the (current) offerings already. Might just do the ten others are apparently contributing.

bread's done
Back