Humble Bundle #2 (Braid, Cortex Command, Machinarium, Osmos, Revenge of the Titans)

[quote name='JazzFlight']Same thing here. From what I read, the guys behind this deal know about the issue (it's just with the Machinarium download) and are working it out with the file-serving company.[/QUOTE]

Ah ok, glad im not the only one....maybe we can get an update here when it gets fixed....I most certainly will update once I know as well. Hope its soon as Machinaroum is the one I wanted to play most.

After more thought I've decided to pass on this bundle. The only one I really want is Braid, but I know I'm never really going to play it on my computer so it's a bit pointless. I don't even play the games I got from last year's bundle. I'm going to donate more to CAGs Child Play, rather then buying this bundle and feeling obligated to give some to the devs. If I didn't already have 2 of the games and if another 2 were already complete games and not just with the promise of someday being finished, I'd feel more inclined to buy this.

Pretty nice selection. :)

Betting $5 on the off-chance that Machinarium will one day be redeemable on steam. I hate having to recontact to get a download link every 3 months.

[quote name='Rollobobo']Has anyone got Machaniarium to download completely....it gets to 3.8 megabytes downloaded and just freezes at that point....it has done this since I bought it around noon today. I have retried downloading it a few times now and keep running into the same issue. Every other game downloaded, but not Machanarium. Anybody having the same problem?!?![/QUOTE]

Mine worked fine but I downloaded it a few hours ago with Opera.

Am I the only one who thinks Cortex Command sucks? I can only get it to run in a window (not fullscreen) and the game isn't finished.

I would pay $50 for Minecraft ... definitely not more than a few dollars for any of the games in here though, which is what I did.

[quote name='crunchewy']After more thought I've decided to pass on this bundle. The only one I really want is Braid, but I know I'm never really going to play it on my computer so it's a bit pointless. I don't even play the games I got from last year's bundle. I'm going to donate more to CAGs Child Play, rather then buying this bundle and feeling obligated to give some to the devs. If I didn't already have 2 of the games and if another 2 were already complete games and not just with the promise of someday being finished, I'd feel more inclined to buy this.[/QUOTE]

I feel almost exactly the same way, except I am only interested in Revenge of Titans.I haven't played any of the games from the last bundle. I already have Braid (2 copies of it, maybe more) and Machinarium. I don't have any interest in Osmos or the Cortex game.

[quote name='MrAcademic']Am I the only one who thinks Cortex Command sucks? I can only get it to run in a window (not fullscreen) and the game isn't finished.[/QUOTE]

im really not a fan either, but i've gotten my $10 out of braid...i can't complain at this point

Now I just need them to send me the Steam unlock code so I'll actually get around to playing them.

Downloading all of the various files for the various platforms and burning them to a DVD is great but having them sitting there in my Steam list taunting me is better.

I easily went in for this year's deal, too. I'm between jobs, though, but I put in what I believed was still hearty. Thanks Humble Bundle folks and all the devs! Times are tough, but know that my kids and I appreciate some good fun that also helps everyone involved with the promotion. Next year I'm hoping to donate substantially more.

For 64-bit GNU/Linux users you should know that only Osmos, Cortex Command, amd Revenge of the Titans provide 64-bit builds. Braid and Machinarium are 32-bit only.

Rise of the Titans is a great game. I only wish it ran on my netbook. I guess the game doesn't like the Intel Celeron 1.2GHz or Intel GMA X4500MHD.

Anyone else having problems installing "Revenge of the Titans"?

It's not installing the game.

The check box to install the game is grayed out. Only the soundtrack and start menu/desktop icon's check box are highlighted.

Looks like the Minecraft creator donated $2000. Very generous move on his part, even if he makes more than a million dollars every 3 days.

(http://www.1up.com/news/independent-game-hit-minecraft-making)

On a more personal note, I gave $7 ($5 to devs, $1 to EFF, $1 to Humble. Will give $10 on Child's Play on CAG later) to the bundle. I might grab a few more bundles later, probably $2 for each, for some cheap and excellent Christmas gifts.

Accidentally not having numlock on, I did a purchase through Google for $0.00 which worked. Had to go through and repurchase, this time at $20, darn conscience. Free would have been nice, but that doesn't float my boat.

Now if ONLY they'd repeat the original Humble Indie Bundle to get even more moneyz, I'll have done all the charity donations for games I'm going to do tonight. ;)

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Anyone else having problems installing "Revenge of the Titans"?

It's not installing the game.

The check box to install the game is grayed out. Only the soundtrack and start menu/desktop icon's check box are highlighted.[/QUOTE]
No one else has this issue?

Can't find the .exe file in my folders.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']No one else has this issue?

Can't find the .exe file in my folders.[/QUOTE]

I had this happen. Norton was being stupid and deleting the launcher
It thats your problem put the folder on your

"Items to exclude from Auto protect and SONAR detection" list in settings and reinstall the game.

[quote name='MrAcademic']Am I the only one who thinks Cortex Command sucks? I can only get it to run in a window (not fullscreen) and the game isn't finished.[/QUOTE]

Try running it at 1920x1080 on a 22" monitor....you'll need a microscope to see anything! Didn't get a chance to play it for long, but I'm not getting my hopes up...

I'd already bought, played, and loved Braid and Machinarium. I will still throw some dollars their way to try out the other games. They all look pretty cool I think.

Ah, what the hell. Decided to toss in $5 and take the Bundle. I already have 2 of them, 2 of them are unfinished, so that leaves Braid. I'll try to make it a point to actually play it this time, unlike the games from the last Bundle. I put most of it toward the games, a $1 toward Child's play, something toward EFF and Humble tip.

EDIT: crap. Braid doesn't even work on my 1st gen MacBook at work. I just get a black screen. :( I expect it will work fine on my much newer Mac mini at home, though, which is where I ought to be playing it anyway :) but consider that a warning for anyone with a 1st gen MacBook as their sole machine. The other two I launched briefly, Cortex Command and RevengeOfTheTitans seemed to work OK, but I didn't actually play them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've crunched the numbers and determined that anything less than $5 doesn't cover the bandwidth costs of the download, and so you'd actually be doing them a favor by pirating these games if you're not willing to spend at least $5.01.

[quote name='wtcjewsdid']I've crunched the numbers and determined that anything less than $5 doesn't cover the bandwidth costs of the download, and so you'd actually be doing them a favor by pirating these games if you're not willing to spend at least $5.01.[/QUOTE]

lol you mind sharing the math? I don't think they would've done this charity if a $5 average was required. They are barely at a $7 average right now.

Plus, they probably got Comcast or someone to help donate bandwidth to the cause anyway.

[quote name='wtcjewsdid']I've crunched the numbers and determined that anything less than $5 doesn't cover the bandwidth costs of the download, and so you'd actually be doing them a favor by pirating these games if you're not willing to spend at least $5.01.[/QUOTE]

Wait...what? $5 should cover at least multiple tens of gigabytes of downloads on any reasonable hosting plan. If I remember correctly my shitty GoDaddy account gave me like 200GB of bandwidth for around $10-15 a month.

[quote name='mikespit1']Wait...what? $5 should cover at least multiple tens of gigabytes of downloads on any reasonable hosting plan. If I remember correctly my shitty GoDaddy account gave me like 200GB of bandwidth for around $10-15 a month.[/QUOTE]

yeah, he's on crack if he thinks bandwidth costs alone are $5. Then you have to keep in mind the cost of employing people to run the charity. There would be no way the charity would make any money at all if bandwidth cost $5 per buyer. He's WAY off

[quote name='mikespit1']Wait...what? $5 should cover at least multiple tens of gigabytes of downloads on any reasonable hosting plan. If I remember correctly my shitty GoDaddy account gave me like 200GB of bandwidth for around $10-15 a month.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but don't forget that at the default payout, the guy paying for hosting only gets 5%, which is 25 cents. Still, I'd like to see where that $5 figure comes from, because I don't think I buy it.

[quote name='wtcjewsdid']Just take my word on this guys. I'm an IT professional.[/QUOTE]

And that's how you spot a troll. Well, that and his name.

I only paid 10 cents for the first bundle, but I swear to you that's all I could afford at the time. Paid $1 for this bundle, 'cause once again that's what I had available to me. I'm sorry... I don't like waiting. lol...

But I am most definitely going to donate a lot more to these charities. I'm selling my album (it's hip-hop) on my Bandcamp site and donating all of proceeds that I get today. If anybody is interested in downloading my album to help these charities out even more, let me know. It's name your own price, minimum 50 cents.

[quote name='wtcjewsdid']Just take my word on this guys. I'm an IT professional.[/QUOTE]

You must have struggled in math though eh?

[quote name='rockstarnati']I only paid 10 cents for the first bundle, but I swear to you that's all I could afford at the time. Paid $1 for this bundle, 'cause once again that's what I had available to me. I'm sorry... I don't like waiting. lol...

But I am most definitely going to donate a lot more to these charities. I'm selling my album (it's hip-hop) on my Bandcamp site and donating all of proceeds that I get today. If anybody is interested in downloading my album to help these charities out even more, let me know. It's name your own price, minimum 50 cents.[/QUOTE]

You should probably put a link if you want anyone to hit up your bandcamp. I'll happily pay for good hip-hop.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']You should probably put a link if you want anyone to hit up your bandcamp. I'll happily pay for good hip-hop.[/QUOTE]

Well I didn't know if that was kosher. Didn't wanna seem like a self-promoting dick. lol... I figured people could PM me. But it's http://natimusic.bandcamp.com

Code:
Average purchase = $7.19
Bandwidth humblebundle #1 = 746.5MB, average 490.01 MB ( 490.01/ 746.5 * 100 = 65.64%)
Bandwidth One platform = about 822MB (822 * 65.64% = 539.5608)  (1 download) 
* paypal micropayments = 5% + $0.05 (7.19 * 0.05 + 0.05 = 0.4095)  (best rate)
paypal Regular = 2.9% + $0.30 (7.19 * 0.029 + 0.30 = 0.50851)
paypal nonprofit organization = 1.9% + $.30  (7.19 * 0.019 + 0.30 = 0.43661)
* maxcdn.com = 7.5cents per GB (100TB)    (best case, not counting cost of [I]First [/I]50TB...)
tech support cost = 0(best case)

Best case(paypal micropayments, 65.64% download rate)
---------------------------------------
0.075 * 539.5608/1000 = 0.04046706        bandwidth
0.05                                      paypal receive fee
(0.04046706 + 0.05)  * 1.05 = 0.095       paypal cut
0.095 - ((0.095 * 0.05) + 0.05) = 0.04025 check...
$0.10

Wost case(paypal regular, missing tech support...)
(0.075 *822/1000)  = 0.06165                        bandwidth
0.30                                                paypal receive fee
(0.06165+0.30)* 1.029 = 0.37213785                  paypal cut
0.37213785 - ((0.37213785 * 0.029) + 0.30) = 0.061  check...
$0.38
notes/links:
The Humble Tip is missing as all cost should be off the top...

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']Is there anyway to buy two bundles at once? I want to buy one as a gift and another for myself but I would hate to have paypal take a cut twice.[/QUOTE]

There's no DRM. Pay what you think two copies are worth and send the resulting email to your giftee too.

Only catch is that if they ever make these available on Steam, you'd only get one steam code and I don't think that can be shared - Steam most definitely has DRM

[quote name='Hunter_Silver']Is there anyway to buy two bundles at once? I want to buy one as a gift and another for myself but I would hate to have paypal take a cut twice.[/QUOTE]

I use amazon payments and they do not take a cut at all from me. Try signing up for that to give them the most money.

Thanks for the answers. I would prefer my friend also get a steam code if they end up sending codes so I guess I'll just buy it twice. I guess I'll just do it through amazon then and hopefully that way more money gets to them.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I did the one cent thing again.. I know ya'll pissed. But I'm broke.[/QUOTE]

Why even post anything, then? Nobody cares that you don't have any compassion, as well as the fact that you are poor. Why not save yourself the hate?

Edit: Lol, five minutes later I see you in the December pickups thread bragging about "flipping" those 3 copies of Raging Blast 2 you got for 10.00 on Thanksgiving for 37 each. I'm sure you could have spared a fucking dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hunter_Silver']Thanks for the answers. I would prefer my friend also get a steam code if they end up sending codes so I guess I'll just buy it twice. I guess I'll just do it through amazon then and hopefully that way more money gets to them.[/QUOTE]
"Amazon Flexible Payments Service" has fees at the receiving end too. Your best bet should be to buy one copy at 0.01 or 0.00 so that fees on copy 2 should be max of 1cent.

bread's done
Back