Humble Bundle Thread

Some of you guys trust these bundle sites way too much. With stuff like the Poopees hd crash, expiring GOG keys, expiring Shiny Loot keys etc I don't trust any of them and activate that shit right away.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of dumbass delays redeeming free keys???
I thought it might be a mistake and redeemed my key right away. After that ended up not being the case I stopped worrying about it and hadn't gotten around to logging into my wife's account to redeem stuff for her in awhile.

I didn't download the soundtrack and wallpaper because I didn't think the items would be unlinked from my Humble account. That's something new.

I actually don't care.  I wasn't sure Stealth Bastard 2 was worthy of my rose so I was just going to play the DRM Free one and spare my rose.  I guess my rose is safe for another day. 

In other Humble news, Doodle God was released on Steam on the 24th. I'm sure everyone is eagerly awaiting this mobile port and totally noticed that the keys still haven't been posted yet.

That Humble, they sure take care of their throngs of customers. They don't need to take a minute and write an email to check in with the developer about those keys because they can just sit around and expect them to arrive.

When I saw the whole limited time thing, I figured we would have downloads associated to our accounts permanently. I don't remember seeing anything except "the keys will become invalid after X day."
Yeah, where did you see the limited time thing? I don't remember seeing it anywhere, and didn't find anything about it with a quick search.

I actually don't care. I wasn't sure Stealth Bastard 2 was worthy of my rose so I was just going to play the DRM Free one and spare my rose. I guess my rose is safe for another day.
The first Stealth Bastard was great and is one of the small percentage of games I've actually finished. I expect the sequel is also great, I'll probably never play it though.

I'm not sure Humble understands its target demographic anymore.
No, I think they do. And it really isn't cheapass gamers. They want the demographic that says, "$15 for all that? Why don't I just make it $25," and not the demographic that says, "Eh, maybe I'll penny in."

No, I think they do. And it really isn't cheapass gamers. They want the demographic that says, "$15 for all that? Why don't I just make it $25," and not the demographic that says, "Eh, maybe I'll penny in."
Then perhaps I misspoke: Humble no longer understands the demographic that allowed it to become so popular in the first place (hint: that's us).

Well, looks like it's going to be nothing but Greenlight asset flips from here on in, if they have to pull a Groupees to get people to buy.

... so they basically ripped off IndieGameStand's elite subscription idea?

Edit: Also, if these bundles are monthly, does that mean that I have to be subscribed before the bundle goes live to get it? I can't pay the $12 once it goes live? That's... I dunno.

"Every bundle you get is yours to keep."

Klos3E8.gif

I get why they clarify that due to the word "subscription", but still made me laugh for some reason.

Seems like a good deal for the people gilby is talking about. Problem is, taking a gamble like that and risking repeats of games from previous bundles (Humble or not) might make this unattractive to more frequent deal/bundle shoppers.

Then perhaps I misspoke: Humble no longer understands the demographic that allowed it to become so popular in the first place (hint: that's us).
No, I don't think that's right. Humble has had some enormous sales numbers. We aren't exactly legion. Groupees, Indiegala, Bundlestars and the others that followed in the bundle scene, sure, they depend on us. Humble's on a different level, though.

"Every bundle you get is yours to keep."

Klos3E8.gif

I get why they clarify that due to the word "subscription", but still made me laugh for some reason.

Seems like a good deal for the people gilby is talking about. Problem is, taking a gamble like that and risking repeats of games from previous bundles (Humble or not) might make this unattractive to more frequent deal/bundle shoppers.
on PSN+ and XBLG, they're legit rentals. You unsubscribe, you lose those games. So it's unfortunately a valid thing to state.

But $12 is way too high. $12 is what you spend on a humble bundle after knowing what's in it and really really want it. not a gamble ahead of time not knowing what's in it

on PSN+ and XBLG, they're legit rentals. You unsubscribe, you lose those games. So it's unfortunately a valid thing to state.

But $12 is way too high. $12 is what you spend on a humble bundle after knowing what's in it and really really want it. not a gamble ahead of time not knowing what's in it
... Humble is now doing Poopies-styled preorders.

Klos3E8.gif

Guess I'll start buying indie games I want with my steambux. It will be less than $12/month and I won't be fooled into shitty pre-order.

I can't wait for Jonny's next Groupees blog post in which he accuses "a certain bundle company from the land of Rice-A-Roni who shall remain nameless" for "copying" Groupees' pre-order system.

Begun, the bundle wars have.

Sure. $12 is a level I rarely if ever hit on a Humble game bundle. I don't think it's generally going to be a good idea to do a $12 monthly preorder on a Humble bundle. That said, I think that hesitancy is predictable. Humble realizes it. This first monthly is probably going to be fantastic so all of those people that decided against it are kicking themselves and rush to sign up for the second monthly.

This reminds me of my console pissant days where you'd go to GameStahp or something and get a AAA game bundle for like 50 dolla or whatever and there would be 5 "AAA games".  The two "outside-of-the-game-case-sandwich" games you could see are Far Cry 4 and AC: Unity or something...then you'd open the package and the 3 games inside are: Ride to Hell, The History Channel: Battle of the Pacific, Prison Break: The Conspiracy.....

No thanks Humble...I'll forgo the poo in the middle of the turd sandwich.

Sure. $12 is a level I rarely if ever hit on a Humble game bundle. I don't think it's generally going to be a good idea to do a $12 monthly preorder on a Humble bundle. That said, I think that hesitancy is predictable. Humble realizes it. This first monthly is probably going to be fantastic so all of those people that decided against it are kicking themselves and rush to sign up for the second monthly.
Agreed. $12 for the first month is probably a reasonable gamble given that Humble needs to give people incentive to sign up in the future.

That said, the worst part is the lack of accountability - since the games aren't identified ahead of time, if Humble doesn't think the revenue is meeting expectations, they can put in cheap games to improve their financial prospects.

I am going to gamble on the first month being really a good bundle. Besides I also get LoG II out of it, which is a game I really want. Worst comes to worst, I just cancel as soon as the bundles aren't worth it anymore. 

Agreed. $12 for the first month is probably a reasonable gamble given that Humble needs to give people incentive to sign up in the future.

That said, the worst part is the lack of accountability - since the games aren't identified ahead of time, if Humble doesn't think the revenue is meeting expectations, they can put in cheap games to improve their financial prospects.
I'd actually expect at least two, maybe three really strong months to start. The goal is driving up subscriptions. Many people tend to be bad at cancelling subscriptions which is why they are so commonly offered. Humble just needs to get people to sign up first, though, as you can't forget to cancel what you never started.

I'm not too sure on your last point. Don't overlook the role played by the third player in the game. Sure, weaker sales means less money, but it means less keys being given out by the publishers at what should remain a relatively high amount per key. We've seen complaints from developers and publishers in the past that have centered not so much on the low overall amount brought in by bundles but in the low amount earned per key.

... so they basically ripped off IndieGameStand's elite subscription idea?

Edit: Also, if these bundles are monthly, does that mean that I have to be subscribed before the bundle goes live to get it? I can't pay the $12 once it goes live? That's... I dunno.
No, as I understand it, and anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong, these bundles will not be available for purchase outside of the subscription service. But, yes, once that month's bundle is gone, you won't be able to purchase it later. I have no idea whether they're planning to actually advertise the contents of each month's bundle, but if they're smart, they'll start by doing that and top-loading the first few with some stuff that they haven't bundled previously and that people actually want. But, honestly, at this point, I'm pretty sure they don't care too much about that--they're just coasting on their reputation, so I'd say there's a good chance they'll throw together a random assortment of stuff that's been in other Humbles every month.

This would be great if they didn't add in games that we all know are eventually going to end up in a $2 bundle.

I am going to gamble on the first month being really a good bundle. Besides I also get LoG II out of it, which is a game I really want. Worst comes to worst, I just cancel as soon as the bundles aren't worth it anymore.
Yeah, Grimlock 2 is a nice incentive. I've been meaning to get that, and will probably get at least one month from this anyway. But I think I'll still hold out to see if any information leaks.

bread's done
Back