Humble Bundle Thread

You guys are right. I'll concede. That bundle was probably better than I was giving it credit for.
yeah, the modern equivalent would look something like:

$1: Gunpoint, Don't Starve, The Swapper, To the Moon

BTA: Papers, Please, Antichamber, Monaco, Runner 2

People would poop their pants and gladly throw down 8 bucks if a bundle was something like that

Don't see how some can trash a bundle when the money can just be sent to charity. I bet Child's Play and the EFF have seen multifold increases in revenue since this thing started. and I believe the Joe Danger crew lost everything in a flood.

Honestly, I'm too busy to even play games anymore, more keeping up with the news of them than doing anything with them. It's one thing to say, "well I have these games already" or "just not interested" - it's another to complain about pricing, no Steam keys, and trash the people behind it. Don't see why some do the latter.

CAG = Charitable Ass Gamer?
Finding a deal from a PWYW organization who supports charily is a little different than trying to find a console on sale, Steam deal, or a half price Nintendo game, IMO. I think people should act accordingly, it's a ridiculous thing to complain about not getting enough in return from an organization like this. It's fairly tactless.

I mean, if the ultimate goal is to get something as cheap as possible with no ethical compass about who it is, and just compile a list of games 'owned' in a stockpile, its fairly easy to get these games from any neighborhood torrent site. Including the magnet links for the site itself.

Or if you just want certain games, period, there's a bazillion Steam sales with whatever someone wants. Go figure.

Ask Hitler. I heard he's loaded with cash.
Yeah, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Reichsmarks are worth less than toilet paper.

Finding a deal from a PWYW organization who supports charily is a little different than trying to find a console on sale, Steam deal, or a half price Nintendo game, IMO. I think people should act accordingly, it's a ridiculous thing to complain about not getting enough in return from an organization like this. It's fairly tactless.

I mean, if the ultimate goal is to get something as cheap as possible with no ethical compass about who it is, and just compile a list of games 'owned' in a stockpile, its fairly easy to get these games from any neighborhood torrent site. Including the magnet links for the site itself.

Or if you just want certain games, period, there's a bazillion Steam sales with whatever someone wants. Go figure.
You're right--a small percentage of these profits go to charitable organizations and some of them go to making more bundles, but most of it goes to the developers of the games. And that's fine and the way it should be, but I don't think that means you need to look down your nose at people who don't think much of the bundles that are composed primarily of things that have been bundled previously. If it bothers you that much, there are ignore buttons and other threads, and, hell, other websites. Like Mooby said, most of us are here for cheap games; if you don't like it, well. . . .

This bundle sucks.  Humble sucks.  Whoever runs humble as individual people suck and suck at life in general.  All these games should be a penny with Steam keys and devs should get day jobs to support themselves.  Charities can go to hell also.  

Yeah, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Reichsmarks are worth less than toilet paper.

You're right--a small percentage of these profits go to charitable organizations and some of them go to making more bundles, but most of it goes to the developers of the games. And that's fine and the way it should be, but I don't think that means you need to look down your nose at people who don't think much of the bundles that are composed primarily of things that have been bundled previously. If it bothers you that much, there are ignore buttons and other threads, and, hell, other websites. Like Mooby said, most of us are here for cheap games; if you don't like it, well. . . .
Well it's a good thing nothing you mentioned I said bothered me. I.e.:

It's one thing to say, "well I have these games already" or "just not interested" - it's another to complain about pricing, no Steam keys, and trash the people behind it.

Maybe bad timing on my part, don't see much of it on this page but the last couple about the Humble "brand" is pretty ridiculous. Not a good look, that's all I'm saying.

Don't see how some can trash a bundle when the money can just be sent to charity. I bet Child's Play and the EFF have seen multifold increases in revenue since this thing started. and I believe the Joe Danger crew lost everything in a flood.

Honestly, I'm too busy to even play games anymore, more keeping up with the news of them than doing anything with them. It's one thing to say, "well I have these games already" or "just not interested" - it's another to complain about pricing, no Steam keys, and trash the people behind it. Don't see why some do the latter.
Deal_with_it.png

I wonder why all the bundle sites that support charities do not have statistics counters to show how much money is going to the site, developers and charities.

I wonder why all the bundle sites that support charities do not have statistics counters to show how much money is going to the site, developers and charities.
Good point, I wish they would add something along those lines.

I found Child's Play numbers though from Wikipedia.

• 2003: $250,000
  • 2004: $310,000
  • 2005: $605,000
  • 2006: $1,024,000
  • 2007: $1,300,000
  • 2008: $1,434,377
  • 2009: $1,780,870
  • 2010: $2,294,317
  • 2011: $3,512,345
  • 2012: $5,085,761
  • 2013: $7,600,000
  • Running Total: $25,196,670
It's definitely boosted a ton the last few year, the last year specifically, I'm guessing a lot due to HIB and weekly sales, etc.

I wonder if they have integrated any of the HIB games into the charity itself though.

EDIT: Also EFF numbers, no up to date ones on percentage but going by Child's Play 2010 baseline, it's probably fairly up there these days:

Beginning 2010, the EFF began regularly receiving income from the Humble Indie Bundle. In 2010 these donations made up 14% of EFF's total revenue for that year.[21]

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see how some can trash a bundle when the money can just be sent to charity.
The logic here is terrible. Yes, it's great that you can send all the money to charity...but it's still a product. Humble DOES make a good bit of change in these things. You don't get immunity from criticism just because you give some money to charity. Maybe if ALL of the money went to charity, it'd be different. But Humble makes money off of this. Therefore, they are SELLING a PRODUCT. When their product pales in comparison to what it used to be, they are open to criticism.

Let's say Coca Cola starting donating some of their proceeds to charity. Great! Now let's say they started watering down their Coke. If somebody criticized it, would you say HOW DARE YOU SCUM THAT MONEY SUPPORTS CHARITY? I doubt it.

Good point, I wish they would add something along those lines.

• 2003: $250,000
  • 2004: $310,000
  • 2005: $605,000
  • 2006: $1,024,000
  • 2007: $1,300,000
  • 2008: $1,434,377
  • 2009: $1,780,870
  • 2010: $2,294,317
  • 2011: $3,512,345
  • 2012: $5,085,761
  • 2013: $7,600,000
  • Running Total: $25,196,670
It's definitely boosted a ton the last few year, the last year specifically, I'm guessing a lot due to HIB and weekly sales, etc.

I wonder if they have integrated any of the HIB games into the charity itself though.

EDIT: Also EFF numbers, no up to date ones on percentage but going by Child's Play 2010 baseline, it's probably fairly up there these days:

Beginning 2010, the EFF began regularly receiving income from the Humble Indie Bundle. In 2010 these donations made up 14% of EFF's total revenue for that year.[21]
but eff is protecting our internet freedom so they deserve it more than child play for now cause govt destroying our internet freedom

I didn't ask for Tebow's opinion. :p
nope i brought ur dimension last night over ur drunk tho i have u as th manager hhe

Both are good causes. From the utilitarian view you can discuss all day which charity's money would make the most impact on our world.
but i think for eff is more internet and is protecting internet freedom electronic freedom while cchild play is helping child to have toys but not much corruption or rights relalated maybe if govt was not tratior child play would be more important for me but govt is destroying with their bs laws so eff is now more important for nwo maybe 5-8 years child lay will be as important or mor important not saying i hate either but just saying right now what more important where i give my money to if i acutally buy 1buck at least.

Eh, first of all, several developers have talked about the amounts they made from bundles. Frozenbyte used its take from the Frozenbyte Bundle to develop Trine 2. So buying a Humble Bundle is not purely a charitable decision. Secondly, as previously mentioned, Electronic Frontier Foundation is more of an advocacy group than a charity. It's like calling the ACLU a charity. If you support what they're doing then great but you're not curing cancer children or feeding lost puppies or building third world schools. I don't have any real issue with Child's Play and, according to the PA guys, they've been divesting themselves of the charity because they don't want to be a liability to its mission. But I'm not particularly vested in it either, all things considered. Basically, the whole "But it's for charity!" argument sort of falls flat. Besides, just because something is for charity doesn't mean it's good. If I make a batch of real crappy cookies and try to sell them "for charity", I don't have the right to be offended when no one wants to buy them. Maybe next time I'll be inspired to make some decent baked goods so I can bring in some cash for my orphaned cancer birds.

Comparing cheap bundles (or wanting them) to pirating games is just asinine. There is nothing unethical about not flipping Child's Play and the EFF a dime when you buy a bundle and don't set the sliders that way. Or complain about the offerings. Hell, there's nothing unethical about paying a penny (I think it's kind of an asshole thing to do but not unethical). They're making you a business offer, you're accepting it on their terms. We're not talking about food or medicine here, these are bits of disposable entertainment.

Eh, first of all, several developers have talked about the amounts they made from bundles. Frozenbyte used its take from the Frozenbyte Bundle to develop Trine 2. So buying a Humble Bundle is not purely a charitable decision. Secondly, as previously mentioned, Electronic Frontier Foundation is more of an advocacy group than a charity. It's like calling the ACLU a charity. If you support what they're doing then great but you're not curing cancer children or feeding lost puppies or building third world schools. I don't have any real issue with Child's Play and, according to the PA guys, they've been divesting themselves of the charity because they don't want to be a liability to its mission. But I'm not particularly vested in it either, all things considered. Basically, the whole "But it's for charity!" argument sort of falls flat. Besides, just because something is for charity doesn't mean it's good. If I make a batch of real crappy cookies and try to sell them "for charity", I don't have the right to be offended when no one wants to buy them. Maybe next time I'll be inspired to make some decent baked goods so I can bring in some cash for my orphaned cancer birds.

Comparing cheap bundles (or wanting them) to pirating games is just asinine. There is nothing unethical about not flipping Child's Play and the EFF a dime when you buy a bundle and don't set the sliders that way. Or complain about the offerings. Hell, there's nothing unethical about paying a penny (I think it's kind of an asshole thing to do but not unethical). They're making you a business offer, you're accepting it on their terms. We're not talking about food or medicine here, these are bits of disposable entertainment.
im just makeing it bback to 5 bucks at least it if back to 5bucks i would buy 1buck then if one game i want i paid it at the price and give to eff and some child play. im saving cag money and maybe if im not out of money by then i might buy it before tuesday even if doesnt reach 5bucks

How come Humble Bundle was not mentioned here if it plays a significant role in Child's Play fundraising?

Gaming children's charity Child's Play has revealed its final fundraising figure for 2013 was a whopping $7.6 million.

In just ten years since launch, Child's Play has raised over $25 million, and the organizers say that's not just because of fat sponsors.

“The bulk of our donations don’t come in the form of huge grants: the millions are made up of the $10, $20, $50 donations,” the post concluded.

“They come from game marathons, golf tournaments, eBay auctions, and bake sales. They come from the incredible community that makes the tag line 'Gamers give back' an understatement.

Source

Actually, as long as I'm in cranky rant mode, I'll say a word about the whole "supports charity" angle.  Lots of places and things "support charity".  Many of them use it as a marketing tool to sell more product.  That's why Campbell's soup says on the label that you can get money for your local schools or some yogurt has a pink ribbon on the lid.  Because they want you to say "Oh, I'll buy this yogurt because it's 'for charity'" or "Well, I wasn't going to buy this candy bar but it says they give to leukemia research so I guess it's okay."

Or "Well, I'll pay $7 instead of $1 for this bundle because it's for charity" (or better yet, "I wasn't going to buy this but since it's for charity...")

This doesn't mean that the money the companies donate is a bad thing (assuming it's properly administered, etc) but the placement of those logos and their push to let you know it's "for charity" isn't a mistake.  You know who else benefits from those increased sales?  The developers.  And the Humble Bundle organization.  Which again ain't "bad" -- I'm not being anti-capitalist -- but being pro-consumer means knowing when you're being manipulated into buying something or paying a premium for it.

Comparing cheap bundles (or wanting them) to pirating games is just asinine. There is nothing unethical about not flipping Child's Play and the EFF a dime when you buy a bundle and don't set the sliders that way. Or complain about the offerings. Hell, there's nothing unethical about paying a penny (I think it's kind of an asshole thing to do but not unethical). They're making you a business offer, you're accepting it on their terms. We're not talking about food or medicine here, these are bits of disposable entertaeinment.
First off in the bolded, you can set the sliders to all charity/EFF, if you want. Second, I have no issue with the EFF, they have value. Maybe more than an actual charity like another person said, in some people's minds. The discussion over utilitarianism over the 'perfect' place to donate is another matter.

As for the second paragraph, people can spend their money any way they want. A couple pages back, the run of posts complaining about pricing vs. offering isn't great IMO. This isn't a retailer, it's a PWYW site where you can choose to give it to the developers, give it to the administrators running it, or give it to the combo of a advocate group and charity.

While by the very nature of sites like this and Slickdeals is to save as much money as possible and get things for the cheapest price possible, I don't understand the end game of nickel and diming a site where you can give what you want, to who you want, basically when you want - and the only thing you get out of it is access to download .exe files that you could get for free if someone really wanted.

EFF isn't a charity. It's a political action group with an agenda.
The EFF is a non-political non-profit organization. If it has an "agenda" (in the seemingly deprecatory way you put it) it is to defend our digital rights and, by extention, our rights and personal freedoms in general. I rarely allocate to charity when buying game bundles but I donate to the EFF every year. I personally have nothing but praise for the work they do and wish more people realised how important their cause is.

As for the second paragraph, people can spend their money any way they want. A couple pages back, the run of posts complaining about pricing vs. offering isn't great IMO. This isn't a retailer, it's a PWYW site where you can choose to give it to the developers, give it to the administrators running it, or give it to the combo of a advocate group and charity.
A retailer setting a flexible price or distribution is still a retailer. Humble Bundle is still in it to make money, they simply found a fairly innovative (though now often copied) way of doing so. Humble Bundle, Inc is a for-profit company. They have venture capital investment where said investors expect to see a return. It's a business.

The EFF is a non-political non-profit organization. If it has an "agenda" (in the seemingly deprecatory way you put it) it is to defend our digital rights and, by extention, our rights and personal freedoms in general. I rarely allocate to charity when buying game bundles but I donate to the EFF every year. I personally have nothing but praise for the work they do and wish more people realised how important their cause is.
well said seamoss that what it doing protecitng rights cheaplikefox u been paid by nsa why u betray us all get out of this land u dont belong here tebow doesnt like u

First off in the bolded, you can set the sliders to all charity, if you want. Second, I have no issue with the EFF, they have value. Maybe more than an actual charity like another person said, in some people's minds. The discussion over utilitarianism over the 'perfect' place to donate is another matter.

While by the very nature of sites like this and Slickdeals is to save as much money as possible and get things for the cheapest price possible, I don't understand the end game of nickel and diming a site where you can give what you want, to who you want, basically when you want - and the only thing you get out of it is access to download .exe files that you could get for free if someone really wanted.
Okay...yeah you CAN choose to give it all to charity, but there's a big difference between selling something FOR charity (like the EA bundle) and the option to be able to donate everything to charity. Let's not kid ourselves, humble makes a LOT of money off of this. And as syntax said...the charity thing is a great marketing tool. Since humble makes money off of this, that makes it a product. Therefore, yes, pricing vs offering is, and should, be in the discussion. That it's PWYW is irrelevant. And maybe we don't all pirate the games because we'd rather buy them legally? Or we don't mind supporting the developers? I also don't think anybody here exactly minds giving to charity, we just realize that because you donate some of your proceeds to charity it doesn't make you immune to criticism. I posted this example earlier, and hid the post because I didn't want to get involved...but I couldn't help myself, haha...but if Coca Cola donated some of their funds to charity, that'd be great, right? What if they started watering down their coke? Would you say "oh, well they donate to charity, that's fine?" I doubt it.

A retailer setting a flexible price or distribution is still a retailer. Humble Bundle is still in it to make money, they simply found a fairly innovative (though now often copied) way of doing so. Humble Bundle, Inc is a for-profit company. They have venture capital investment where said investors expect to see a return. It's a business.
Not to mention Humble started a store that DOES have fixed prices.

That's political to me. It's politics. They have an agenda. They use money donated to further their agenda. They proceed with legal actions with the purpose of changing law/policy, etc. to further their agenda. Just because they don't side with one of the major political parties doesn't change the fact they are political and try to influence and change policy. Just because I happen to agree with some of the work they do doesn't change that fact either. Me calling them what they are, a political action group with an agenda, isn't a negative or positive thing. It is what it is.

What's this bumbling going on around here? Once you guys write more than a paragraph I stop paying attention

That is 4.7 million from Sequoia Capital injected into Humble Bundle, Inc, they have investments in big companies like Apple, Google, Paypal, Instagram, Yahoo and even Electronic Arts. I doubt they will throw their money at Humble if there are no profit to be made.

You can choose not to pay them though. I'm sure they have made money, simply off the default split and being the first entry into this side of things and being one of the main drivers behind the indie game movement that people WANT to contribute to their effort.

You don't HAVE to pay them though. You can set it straight to the developer, or set it straight to charity/EFF, that's the difference make in my mind. You can't tell Apple to give their hoard of cash to anyone to make a difference, but there's a measure of control here.

And what you're paying for honestly, for all intents and purposes, is access to a DRM-free non tangible commodity that can be had for about 10 seconds of Google search. Maybe it can be argued that's unethical, but it's hard to be on that high horse for many who are agonizing over things like a quarter or two in price difference to get it, or aren't paying for content somewhere else.

Granted, maybe just pointing out the simple DRM-free nature is ignoring and underestimating the lure of yet another name in a list for Steam backloggers who want to add to their endless key collection on the client.

In the end, really you're setting your own price, paying what you want, to who you want, for something that is little more than an access page to .exe files. That's it. It seems like yelling at clouds to complain about 25 or 50 cents over that.

But hey, to each his own.

What's this bumbling going on around here? If you guys write more than a paragraph I stop paying attention
Same thing that happens with every humble bundle. Someone complains, someone else complains about the complainers BECAUSE CHARITY, occasionally polite discussion ensues, next bundle is released, someone complains, etc etc etc.

From the countless times you've regurgitated the same argument today I highly doubt you actually live by this mantra.
Obviously, since my 370 or so posts on this site in 10 plus years registered here indicate, I'm definitely one to start a flame war here over my opinion. You caught me. I was just biding my time to strike. :pray:

You can choose not to pay them though. I'm sure they have made money, simply off the default split and being the first entry into this side of things and being one of the main drivers behind the indie game movement that people WANT to contribute to their effort.

You don't HAVE to pay them though. You can set it straight to the developer, or set it straight to charity/EFF, that's the difference make in my mind. You can't tell Apple to give their hoard of cash to anyone to make a difference, but there's a measure of control here.
You keep saying this as though it makes a difference. It's a for-profit company. The "you can set it..." thing is just a hook. Most people don't change the sliders. Even if they did, it would still be a for-profit company and they would just change the system to something that goes back to making them money (like, say, locking out bonus games unless you BTA). There is no reason to treat Humble Bundle, Inc differently from any other merchant I do business with or change my expectations for them.

And what you're paying for honestly, for all intents and purposes, is access to a DRM-free non tangible commodity that can be had for about 10 seconds of Google search.
Really, I'm paying for a Steam key for those games. It's irrelevant anyway; GOG offers DRM-free software that I could theoretically torrent but I still treat them like I would any other merchant. Amazon and Google Play offer DRM free music files I could torrent but I still treat them like any other merchant, etc.

In the end, really you're setting your own price, paying what you want, to who you want, for something that is little more than an access page to .exe files. That's it. It seems like yelling at clouds to complain about 25 or 50 cents over that.
Well, first off, "yelling at clouds" is its own entertainment around here. I don't think anyone is losing sleep or quietly plotting revenge over this bundle. It's just folks chewing the fat about a common interest. Secondly, you can try an minimize stuff as much as you want but if a (potential) customer is upset then so it goes. A $1 small fries from a fast food joint is gone quicker than my .exe files but if they're cold and shitty fries I'm still making a legitimate point to say "that place sells cold, shitty fries".

This thread makes me think that GamersGate is missing out on a golden opportunity.  If they started setting aside 1% of their profits to, I dunno, knit tiny sweaters for voles or something then we wouldn't be allowed to bitch about their poor service, crappy website or bad sale prices any more.  You know, 'cause charity.

Someone get me Sweden on the horn!

I put all the free game keys in the second paragraph.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooouuuuuhhhhhhhhh - it's ok I still <3 u

Same thing that happens with every humble bundle. Someone complains, someone else complains about the complainers BECAUSE CHARITY, occasionally polite discussion ensues, next bundle is released, someone complains, etc etc etc.
IC, well shit bundle X was a shit bundle compared to what it should've been. And the charities? Hah - the one charity is a tax haven and the other (not charity) is dubious at best. HB should just hire someone who just buys consoles for kidren at hospitals if they wanted charity. We good now

This thread makes me think that GamersGate is missing out on a golden opportunity. If they started setting aside 1% of their profits to, I dunno, knit tiny sweaters for voles or something then we wouldn't be allowed to bitch about their poor service, crappy website or bad sale prices any more. You know, 'cause charity.

Someone get me Sweden on the horn!
Well I'm sure someone, somewhere would complain about it somehow regardless of the charity. Like that stupid Salvation Army bell ringer this past holiday. They gave me a dirty look after I donated a penny, emptied their complimentary peppermint candy bowl, asked if I could keep the bowl, and had horrible service because they didn't wish me a Merry Christmas! Bastards! I gave them a penny they should be HAPPY with it damnit!

Then I ended up with cold fries too that night. Grrrr ..

Or they could institute a one candy per donation policy... or a minimum donation to qualify for a candy... but they don't because peppermint candy is cheap and shit and people would complain...

Another thing to look at, is Humble really isn't entirely pay what you want for their bundles, either. Their weekly sales' BTA is set at six bucks. They would never get that high otherwise, so they've inflated their "pwyw" model to make more money. They also released those Starbound keys to the first 1,000 buyers, which was a good deal for those who got in, but artificially inflated the BTA price, making Humble more money again. 

And let's not ignore just how much money humble is making off of this. The latest bundle has made a bit over 900,000 thus far. Let's say the average "humble tip" is just 5% (the default is 15%, so I'm willing to bet it's in actuality around 12-13%). That would mean humble has made over $45,000 so far. In about 3 1/2 days. Of one bundle. So yeah, humble's making a good bit of coin off of this. It's fair to criticize their business practices. Let's stop acting like they're some type of business saint that is immune to critique. 

bread's done
Back