Humble Bundle Thread

I have to seriously disagree with this. I tried getting into Dungeon Defenders but unless you're playing co-op, it takes a ridiculously-long time to get the levels jiggered up properly. I played one game where it literally took me a half-hour of real time to finish a level. This is not a game that is meant for single-play. It's meant for at least 2-4 people. It's a shame because I hate other people and DD looks like something I might enjoy otherwise.
I don't disagree that it's meant to play co-op. It gets especially tough to solo at higher levels. However, I played quite a bit of it solo and had a great time. I've also played Borderlands/2 mostly solo as well, if that means anything.

Defense Grid is okay... one of the old Steam stalwarts but nothing particularly amazing

Heretic!

Last edited by a moderator:
I should like the game more than I do.  Played through the base campaign and despite buying nearly all of the DLC (mini resurgence packs and the 'You Monster' pack) I've never played them.  If someone is looking for a solid and 'classic' tower defense experience (and not one of the hybrids that is all too common today) I'd certainly recommend it.  It just... doesn't do anything unique/exceptional.  I remember a while ago they tried to Kickstart Defense Grid 2 but fell short of their goal (and just made some more DLC instead).

I don't disagree that it's meant to play co-op. It gets especially tough to solo at higher levels. However, I played quite a bit of it solo and had a great time. I've also played Borderlands/2 mostly solo as well, if that means anything.

Heretic!
I played Borderlands solo as well, and that's another game that screams "made for co-op." In the near future, I'l probably play BL2 solo, but I won't make the mistake I did with BL1 and buy a bunch of DLC I'll probably never play (I picked up Tiny Tina during the recent GMG sale and I'll likely play that one just because of the wacky D&D theme).

I played Borderlands solo as well, and that's another game that screams "made for co-op." In the near future, I'l probably play BL2 solo, but I won't make the mistake I did with BL1 and buy a bunch of DLC I'll probably never play (I picked up Tiny Tina during the recent GMG sale and I'll likely play that one just because of the wacky D&D theme).
fwiw, i'm pretty strictly a solo player, as well

borderlands is awesome w/out other people, but it's a bit too easy solo (assuming you do every sidequest you can get your hands on...like i do due to ocdness)

this makes me wonder wtf i picked up payday 1 over this past sale

Dragon Keep is the only worthwhile BL2 DLC, imo.  I got the season pass during a Gamer's Gate glitch last year for $7.50 -- other DLC bored me.  After a while grinding and looting gets tedious.

luv u 2 warren​
11209782905_9e716bcb32_m.jpg
You need to stop posting broken flicker image links.

If that's how you feel about BL1, you will hate the Raid bosses.

If it's not too spoiler-y, what the hell is a raid boss?
It's not really a spoiler. Did you ever encounter/read about Crawmereaux (or w/e) in the first game? It's basically a boss you (ideally) need three or four people to take down although it's possibly to solo them with enough farmed gear, glitch strategies, tricks, etc. They drop better/specific loot (zomg legendaries) and tokens you can use to buy other loot that... isn't as good?

I never quite understood the loot progression in BL2. They put stuff on raid bosses but you there were easier methods to farming legendaries and pearlescents. Anyway, it's just grinding for grind sake.

Fake edit: Not like you can really 'spoil' the storyline of BL2. It's just a horrible string of unfunny internet memes. God I hate Anthony Burch.

It's not really a spoiler. Did you ever encounter/read about Crawmereaux (or w/e) in the first game? It's basically a boss you (ideally) need three or four people to take down although it's possibly to solo them with enough farmed gear, glitch strategies, tricks, etc. They drop better/specific loot (zomg legendaries) and tokens you can use to buy other loot that... isn't as good?

I never quite understood the loot progression in BL2. They put stuff on raid bosses but you there were easier methods to farming legendaries and pearlescents. Anyway, it's just grinding for grind sake.

Fake edit: Not like you can really 'spoil' the storyline of BL2. It's just a horrible string of unfunny internet memes. God I hate Anthony Burch.
Is it bad that I don't know who that is?

I don't think I saw Crawmerax--wasn't that it in General Knox? I got aggravated after being incessantly killed by zombies in Dr. Ned and quit during that one. So the bottom line is these things are optional? That's okay, then. Sounds like an insta-skip.

2) What are peoples thoughts on the weekly... I actually own none of those.
In my opinion each of the games in the weekly is great, but it might depend on what sort of games you enjoy.

Jamestown is a really cool bullethell shooter, which I haven't played tons of but was very impressed with what I did play. It has four player co-op as well, which sounds ridiculous but probably quite fun as well. The soundtrack though almost makes it worth it in and of itself. I've listened more to it than I've put time into the game, if that says anything.

Closure is a rather creative puzzle platformer that plays off light, and I found it immensely satisfying. The basic idea is that anything in light is visible and solid, but take away the light and it disappears entirely. There's a flash version you can try for a taste, and the full version is mostly a bigger better version of that. Highly recommend if you aren't sick of puzlle platformers yet, it's among my favorites.

SPAZ I really can't say much of, but many here have very positive things to say about it. I played about an hour of it and recall enjoying it far more than I expected, but I couldn't tell you much about how it works. If you like strategy and space games you will probably enjoy it, and from what I saw there's a lot of content as well.

Shatter is probably the best game here, and worth at least a buck all on its own. On the surface it's a typical arkanoid/breakout brick breaking game, but the push/pull mechanic adds so much more strategy to it than any of game in the genre I can think of, and the brick patterns, addicting leaderboards, and boss battles make it very easy to lose hours of your life going through the numerous levels. Get this, even if you have no interest in any of the other games.

Dungeon Defenders I have to agree with a few others, is really designed for co-op. I got a few levels in going solo, but there is no comparison to playing with friends as it's much more difficult and tedious on your own. I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on playing it SP, but if you have other people to play with it's a great deal of fun and a neat hybrid tower defense game (sorta like Orcs Must Die, or so I gather).

Defense Grid is a much more traditional TD game, but I rather like the simplicity of it compared to all the gimmicks found in so many TD games. It also has a bunch of small usability tweaks (like showing the enemies path as you place towers) that many games simply forget to include, and because of them it feels much more thought out and substantial. If you like TD games in their purist form you will likely enjoy this. The art style is rather bland I will say, but everything else is very well done. Also, one of the DLC is Portal themed ^_^

In short the $1 is a no brainer. If you like TD games the second tier is pretty good, but unless you have friends you are basically paying $5 for Defense Grid + DLC, which while a good value, again depends how sick you are of TD. But let's be honest, we all know these are just going in the backlog anyway ;)

I solo'd Crawmerax with a Lv64 Hunter, so he's pretty vincible when all's said and done. And thanks for saying that dude's name. I knew it was the gay guy from HAWP, but I kept drawing a blank when looking at the credits.

So… this Jumbo bundle, how is is distributed? Individual keys? Can you gift individual games? Or is it one big bundle key that is only per person?

I should like the game more than I do. Played through the base campaign and despite buying nearly all of the DLC (mini resurgence packs and the 'You Monster' pack) I've never played them. If someone is looking for a solid and 'classic' tower defense experience (and not one of the hybrids that is all too common today) I'd certainly recommend it. It just... doesn't do anything unique/exceptional. I remember a while ago they tried to Kickstart Defense Grid 2 but fell short of their goal (and just made some more DLC instead).
Actually, Defense Grid 2 is in beta right now and should be released in spring. You should try the "You Monster" pack as it features Portal's GlaDoS and some very fiendish twists.

I've got nearly 300 hours of playtime out of it, behind only BL/BL2 and Killing Floor on Steam, so I've definitely enjoyed it. We'll just have to agree to disagree about the game overall.

I solo'd Crawmerax with a Lv64 Hunter, so he's pretty vincible when all's said and done. And thanks for saying that dude's name. I knew it was the gay guy from HAWP, but I kept drawing a blank when looking at the credits.
I... guess everyone is aware that Ash does the voice for Tiny Tina?

I have like... 12 hours in Defense Grid.  I couldn't fathom getting 100+ And yeah, his wife as Tiny Tina is horribly annoying.  Fortunately she doesn't really say that much in the Dragon Keep DLC.  And what she does say isn't that horrible 'yo yo yo badoonka donk' crap.

For anybody debating the jumbo bundle, if you don't have an orcs must die game, it's almost worth buying just for that. I bought 1/2 in a bundle in the Steam halloween sale, and the HB reminded me. I'm playing OMD (1) right now - very fun take on the tower defense genre.

Interested in trying Natural Selection 2 now, since I've heard some good things about it.

'dis is 'da greatest HIB... evah!  Evah!  Now I know some of you like those 2deep4u platformers where you stumble around and ponder the meaning of life but here you get actual GAMES!  It's amazing!

'dis is 'da greatest HIB... evah! Evah! Now I know some of you like those 2deep4u platformers where you stumble around and ponder the meaning of life but here you get actual GAMES! It's amazing!
I've never seen Mooby so happy, quick, someone calm him down before he hurts himself!

'dis is 'da greatest HIB... evah! Evah! Now I know some of you like those 2deep4u platformers where you stumble around and ponder the meaning of life but here you get actual GAMES! It's amazing!
mooby happier must be his grumpy went to me

I've never seen Mooby so happy, quick, someone calm him down before he hurts himself!
oh realy now he proly getting spanky by jenna haze

I'm scared he may have stroked out
oh nah he prolyn ot

MrNinjaSquirrel said:
don't tell him, but I switched his vitamins with Quaaludes. ;) You're welcome everyone

Question. Are we no longer able to add to the total if we want to the BTA later on? I cannot find that option anymore.
I just checked my Jumbo Bundle and I have the option to add money in the place it's always been. Is yours a gift purchase? Those cannot be increased.

Oh, damn. You're right...

Make sure your total is over $3.99 to unlock Orcs Must Die Soundtrack and Serious Sam 3 Soundtrack.
You only get the soundtracks. Jesus, Humble is going down the crapper fast.

I know royt? They've only made 1.3 million since yesterday

FLAMING SHIT PILE

surriously tho that sucks if that's the case...doesn't realy make any sense either.

Dunno what you guys are talking about or where you're seeing that text but it's pretty obviously the full games you get for beating the average.

If I gift my steam copy of Jamestown will I lose access to the soundtrack and drm free edition?

That's a mistake.

Dunno what you guys are talking about or where you're seeing that text but it's pretty obviously the full games you get for beating the average.
They're seeing this on the page where you have the option to get the full bundle if you didn't BTA. It has to be a language goof on someone's part. There's no way HB would just allow you to upgrade your payment for the soundtracks.

If I gift my steam copy of Jamestown will I lose access to the soundtrack and drm free edition?
No. I gifted my copy of Journey of a Roach and I still have access in my account to the DRM-free version and the soundtrack.

EDIT: However, if it's one of those bundles that only offers Steam keys, then if you gift your Steam URL, you will lose access to that game (that should be fairly self-evident).

That's a mistake.

They're seeing this on the page where you have the option to get the full bundle if you didn't BTA. It has to be a language goof on someone's part. There's no way HB would just allow you to upgrade your payment for the soundtracks.

No. I gifted my copy of Journey of a Roach and I still have access in my account to the DRM-free version and the soundtrack.

EDIT: However, if it's one of those bundles that only offers Steam keys, then if you gift your Steam URL, you will lose access to that game (that should be fairly self-evident).
Thanks for the info.

I think he means "disappointed" in the sense that the $1 min no longer gets you the bonus games like it did in the past. These days you need to BTA to get the bonuses:

"More games coming soon! Pay more than the average of $4.12 to unlock them when they arrive!"
Well now I am disappointed, it's like Drabe is psychic or something

bread's done
Back