Humble Bundle Thread

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what game that background artwork is from? I'm assuming this is a slightly more sophisticated version of the Jonny drawings that Groupees is now notorious for.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know what game that background artwork is from? I'm assuming this is a slightly more sophisticated version of the Jonny drawings that Groupees is now notorious for.
I think it's just custom art by/for Humble (the character is holding a red knapsack, just like the Humble logo).

Is it too late to get the monthly bundle tomorrow If I subscribe?

Ah nvm, it appears the first bundle isn't until November.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's just custom art by/for Humble (the character is holding a red knapsack, just like the Humble logo).
Probably not a hint of an actual game, but it does remind me of Flame in the Flood.

Yeah, Grimlock 2 is a nice incentive. I've been meaning to get that, and will probably get at least one month from this anyway. But I think I'll still hold out to see if any information leaks.
Sure just wait for them to put up an archaic chat room where no lives who spend all day in there because they're on disability so what the hell else are they going to do run some DoIOwn? command 800 times a day one by one through the process of elimination ruling out each of their 5,000 games.

Pay $12, get four games I already own. Sounds like a capital idea.
I just got this email, I thought it was a fucking joke. They really can't be serious with this..... I mean I know Humble Bundle has largely been going downhill, but I think they've really lost their minds now.

Sadly this will probably still sell, more and more idiots are willing to throw money and subscriptions at stuff without the first inkling of what they are actually going to get.

12 keys of solitaire. Every month. Maybe that's why Windows 10 charges for it now.

Last edited:
Me, Grimlock 2 isn't much of an incentive.  Should be around $6 or less during the upcoming sales.  And you know they're going to tease you with the better game meaning the others could, quite possibly, be Greenlight fodder.

Anyway, RIP Humble.

On the contrary; I hear the Humble coin is on the rise.
Nah, eCoins is so yesterday...Humble is going with ePaperMoney. Here is what you get for buying the first Monthly Bundle (in addition to sum really sooper games...yuk yuk!)

wBRUVfx.png

Apparently I bought two of this bundle. Enjoy!

FV576-ZYIIT-P3JP9

Shogun: Total War Collection
Medieval II: Total War Collection
Viking: Battle for Asgard
Total War: ARENA Beta Access Key

Apparently I bought two of this bundle. Enjoy!

FV576-ZYIIT-P3JP9

Shogun: Total War Collection
Medieval II: Total War Collection
Viking: Battle for Asgard
Total War: ARENA Beta Access Key
Already yoinked, but thanks nevertheless

that monthly thing is fucking hilarious, did I Rip Van Winkle my way to April 1st or some shit?

loot crate but with games I probably already have, a winning combination of two shitty things that are even worse together

that monthly thing is fucking hilarious, did I Rip Van Winkle my way to April 1st or some shit?

loot crate but with games I probably already have, a winning combination of two shitty things that are even worse together
Except lootcrate at least gives you some physical chotchkies and crap. The most you can hope for with this is mp3s. woofuckinghoo

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking "whatawaste". It be useful for having things to giveaway on my website but not really investing in it at the moment.

Ok. I admit I at first glance of the email from humble bundle thought something different.

I was thinking/hoping that I could be lazy and simply prepay every month $12 for at least each of the second tier weekly bundles (third / top tier would even be better).

I typically buy the main and weekly bundles at least dollar to second tier.  If I really want the top tier game, I will sometimes justify paying $10 or whatever for that bundle.  Thus, I thought $12  for 4 weekly bundles and I only have to pay once would not be bad. (Yes, I am that lazy)

I am hesitant about this monthly.  While I would not mind buying Grimlock 2 at a substantial 75 or more off, I am wanting more info before I commit $12.  I also worry that humble is outpacing itself.  Humble has been the site to beat with regards to quality.  For instance, groupees aka poopees is okay if you just want greenlight or fodder plus ones.  Maybe I am wrong, but I do not think that adding yet another bundle every month is going to keep quality games coming.  I would prefer that humble ask developers and publishers to come with better offers i.e. better enticements for a BTA or upper tier.

Regarding OST, I consider music to be gravy with these bundles.  I like OST to be included, but will not loose sleep if not.

Please do not ask.  The answer is yes I am a silly person that will buy the first month bundle more for FOMO instead of rational thought.

While I doubt this is going to be the worst deal in the world and Humble is probably the best to do something like this, we're clearly not the target audience.  This is for the bros who always BTA and do the higher tier and buy all the physical items and just love to support indie devs and give 5% to charity. Thankfully, I have such specific likes in my games that I know even a monthly bundle of top indie hits wouldn't be of use to me so I can pass with ease. 

I'd like to thank Humble this week for coming up w/ nothing for the Weekly and saving me a bit of money from either $1 or BTA tier.

Looks like this week, my Humble Weekly Bundle $ went to Groupees for BAB9 pre-order instead.

Oh, about about the $12 subscription for a Humble Monthly Bundle - meh, no thanks.

Re: 'The monthly.' That they'll probably only reveal/tease one game a month is the worst part.  I guess they want to emulate those shitty 'What's in the box' websites that sell crap for a monthly sub?  There's a good chance the four games included for $12 will be a good deal... but I'm not buying anything blind.  Certainly not when the quality of games in their other bundles has been going down the crapper.

Re: 'The monthly.' That they'll probably only reveal/tease one game a month is the worst part. I guess they want to emulate those shitty 'What's in the box' websites that sell crap for a monthly sub? There's a good chance the four games included for $12 will be a good deal... but I'm not buying anything blind. Certainly not when the quality of games in their other bundles has been going down the crapper.
Plus, who knows what kind of repeats we could possibly wind-up with.

Seems like most of the reaction is fairly negative from the Twitter/YouTube comments. My personal favorite:

Holammer 8 hours ago
Wow, a glory hole distribution service, where every game is a surprise? this really tarnished my respect for Humble. I don't know if I'm going to get dupes, DRM Free titles or useless Origin/Uplay keys for my money. Good luck trying to give this a positive spin. Maybe pocket a few YTbers and have them fake excitement over Monthly humbles like they do with Loot Crates?

I subscribed just because I don't have many indie games and am trying to get back into them. I figure I'll give it a couple months and see what goes out. Maybe it will turn out to be a ripoff, but honestly this entire holiday seems like a ripoff with the way console prices and games are going.

I thought the incentive of a well reviewed game would be nice to try, but honestly, I have no idea what the hell people see in this Legend of Grimrock game. Maybe it's a lot of nostalgia for old school PC gamers who played Myst or whatever else I guess, but I wasn't one of those people. After about a half hour though I didn't see much fun in stepping on tiles, picking up random items, and clunky grid based combat where you're getting bullrushed by an enemy and you basically click a mouse on a weapon to throw or swing at them while using some first person based tank controls that makes Resident Evil look like Mario 64 in freedom. I watched a little bit of a Let's Play on YouTube to see if it gets any better. It doesn't.

Maybe I should have researched a little more what the game was about, oh well. Some games just aren't for everyone.

I subscribed just because I don't have many indie games and am trying to get back into them. I figure I'll give it a couple months and see what goes out. Maybe it will turn out to be a ripoff, but honestly this entire holiday seems like a ripoff with the way console prices and games are going.

I thought the incentive of a well reviewed game would be nice to try, but honestly, I have no idea what the hell people see in this Legend of Grimrock game. Maybe it's a lot of nostalgia for old school PC gamers who played Myst or whatever else I guess, but I wasn't one of those people. After about a half hour though I didn't see much fun in stepping on tiles, picking up random items, and clunky grid based combat where you're getting bullrushed by an enemy and you basically click a mouse on a weapon to throw or swing at them while using some first person based tank controls that makes Resident Evil look like Mario 64 in freedom. I watched a little bit of a Let's Play on YouTube to see if it gets any better. It doesn't.

Maybe I should have researched a little more what the game was about, oh well. Some games just aren't for everyone.
agreed with the impression on Grimrock game. Nostalgic rose-colored glasses galore.. but it was pretty average to me at this day and age. Zero immersion with very little desire to move on

It's people like you who are to blame!
Well they don't know any better. They're used to paying high prices so to them anything remotely better than those crap console sales is a steal. Also they don't have to clip Super Golden Crisp box tops and price match K-Mart to Walmart to Almart to H-Mart and then flip it on eBay so it's less work for them.

And yeah Grimlock is a bit of a nostalgia love letter to players of old PC dungeon crawlers. It's kind of a you had to be there thing.

I thought the incentive of a well reviewed game would be nice to try, but honestly, I have no idea what the hell people see in this Legend of Grimrock game. Maybe it's a lot of nostalgia for old school PC gamers who played Myst or whatever else I guess, but I wasn't one of those people.

After about a half hour though I didn't see much fun in stepping on tiles, picking up random items, and clunky grid based combat where you're getting bullrushed by an enemy and you basically click a mouse on a weapon to throw or swing at them while using some first person based tank controls that makes Resident Evil look like Mario 64 in freedom. I watched a little bit of a Let's Play on YouTube to see if it gets any better. It doesn't.

1592_600.jpg

And yeah Grimlock is a bit of a nostalgia love letter to players of old PC dungeon crawlers. It's kind of a you had to be there thing.
If you ask me it should have stayed there along with dial-up, Realplayer, and Chip's Challenge. :wall:

If you ask me it should have stayed there along with dial-up, Realplayer, and Chip's Challenge. :wall:
Why should it have stayed there?

I'm sure fans of a certain style of games that many publishers often no longer want to greenlight anymore finally got something that's in a very similar style of games from back in that era can go ahead and rejoice!

And there's bound to be some gamers who never-ever played any kind of tile-based, party-based, dungeon-crawling RPG, give Grimrock a shot, and then realize, "Hey, this is different than your typical modern-day RPG...and I like/love this!"

The first was obviously a nostalgia trip that was a bit shallow.  Have not played the second.  But there are worse plagues upon PC gaming than nostalgic dungeon crawlers.

While I doubt this is going to be the worst deal in the world and Humble is probably the best to do something like this, we're clearly not the target audience. This is for the bros who always BTA and do the higher tier and buy all the physical items and just love to support indie devs and give 5% to charity. Thankfully, I have such specific likes in my games that I know even a monthly bundle of top indie hits wouldn't be of use to me so I can pass with ease.
True, but as I said I expect the first two or three (at least) to be really good. Expect bundles that you are more likely to regret skipping than to regret preordering. The weaker monthlies are a bit down the line.

Re: 'The monthly.' That they'll probably only reveal/tease one game a month is the worst part. I guess they want to emulate those shitty 'What's in the box' websites that sell crap for a monthly sub? There's a good chance the four games included for $12 will be a good deal... but I'm not buying anything blind. Certainly not when the quality of games in their other bundles has been going down the crapper.
Where did you see that these will have four games? I didn't see anything specifying quantity.

See, the funny thing about console gamers is that they'll shit all over a game like Grimrock but they'll be waiting in a line at midnight for something retarded like Madden 16 with the special DLC that lets you play as Brian Bosworth.

Oh man...

At launch, all games in the monthly bundle will include Steam codes. However, in the future, some games will be DRM-free and may not be on Steam, or may appear on other platforms.

See, the funny thing about console gamers is that they'll shit all over a game like Grimrock but they'll be waiting in a line at midnight for something retarded like Madden 16 with the special DLC that lets you play as Brian Bosworth.
I'm not sure if you're referencing me, but I haven't owned a Madden game ever, and haven't played one probably in a decade. And the people who actually play Madden wouldn't even be aware of a game like this, or probably any indie games period.

Just like a lot of faux 2D pixel games try to allude to some nostalgic magic of the past, doesn't necessarily mean retro design is good. A lot of it went away with good reason, and I don't necessarily want to see the return of cheap deaths, blind jumps, bullet sponge enemies, etc of the past.

Making combat a significant part of the game and the only strategy is to backtrack and fire weapons isn't even good game design when you have a game with assigned action buttons and complete freedom of movement, much less in a game where you have neither and are clicking an on-screen HUD to attack over and over and maneuvering with the keyboard in a clunky grid pattern.

See, the funny thing about console gamers is that they'll shit all over a game like Grimrock but they'll be waiting in a line at midnight for something retarded like Madden 16 with the special DLC that lets you play as Brian Bosworth Bo Jackson.
Fixed that for you...

Have no idea what to think about the monthly bundle... I suspect I'll pass but see the logic of the people saying the first month or so should be good.

That's awesome because I play my DRM-Free games all the time.

Heck, maybe they should up the ante and make some of them GOG keys or only playable on Capsule.

In all seriousness I think they would love to do a monthly Nintendo bundle. Console people would think it was a great deal and eat it up. Except the Europeans who was scream about being blocked from it.

bread's done
Back