Hurricane Katrina

[quote name='dubya'] "You know," he said, "we would love help, but we're going to take care of our own business as well, and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed. And there's no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city."[/quote]

fuck you junior. Give up your fucking pride and let them help us, you douchefuck.

[quote name='zewone']What the hell is wrong with people? Why would people be raping others at a time like this? It sickens me.[/QUOTE]

Because they can easily get away with it.

And judging by the people left in New Orleans on TV, it's hardly surprising.

[quote name='kittie']Because they can easily get away with it.

And judging by the people left in New Orleans on TV, it's hardly surprising.[/QUOTE]
Fats Domino?

Confirmed:
-2/3 of NO police force resigns.
-Police seen taking SUV's from dealerships to loot stores
-Rapes and murder becoming common

NO is a shit storm. If people can spare it, donate - this isn't a "I rebuild my house every year" storm, this is a shit storm of anarchy.

[quote name='SkyGheNe']Confirmed:
-2/3 of NO police force resigns.
-Police seen taking SUV's from dealerships to loot stores
-Rapes and murder becoming common

NO is a shit storm. If people can spare it, donate - this isn't a "I rebuild my house every year" storm, this is a shit storm of anarchy.[/QUOTE]

Well, I can't really blame the police for resigning. Would you want to be out there, or be somehwere safe with your family?

[quote name='SkyGheNe']
NO is a shit storm. If people can spare it, donate - this isn't a "I rebuild my house every year" storm, this is a shit storm of anarchy.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the Yahoo! front page, that's what it says: "New Orleans in anarchy." Have there been any reports on whether the anarchy is spreading to other places. For example, are there any reports of things happening in other states/cities where the hurricane survivors are being held?

Here's the Yahoo! article. Read it all; it's sickening:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050902/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_58

FEMA director Michael Brown said the agency just learned about the situation at the convention center Thursday and quickly scrambled to provide food, water and medical care and remove the corpses.

Doesn't FEMA people watch the news, I've known of the situation at the convention center since Wed. Good grief.

[quote name='Mr.Answer']FEMA director Michael Brown said the agency just learned about the situation at the convention center Thursday and quickly scrambled to provide food, water and medical care and remove the corpses.

Doesn't FEMA people watch the news, I've known of the situation at the convention center since Wed. Good grief.[/QUOTE]

So they can scramble to do this the day they learned of it, but the rest of the federal government does nothing until the first 3, and little on the 4th?

[quote name='rywateska']http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/wwl090105usgetshelp.16cbe69d.html

4:45 P.M. - (AP): In a dramatic turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistanc

An informative link that I found at the site that I posted above.[/QUOTE]

It has happened before, many countries offered help after 9-11. The 'dramatic turnabout' would be if we accepted.

I have not yet heard reports that the US is accepting these offers.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']So they can scramble to do this the day they learned of it, but the rest of the federal government does nothing until the first 3, and little on the 4th?[/QUOTE]

No what I am pointing out is that they say they just heard about this problem on Thursday (today) when I (and anyone else who watch cnn, foxnews, whatever heard about this on Wed morning.

I read some articles that FEMA was there and helping but had to pull out of some areas due to the looting and violence toward their crew. That is why it looks like they arent doing mutch. There really isnt anything they can do until order is restored and they are allowed to help without fear of being attacked or killed.

I also found it hard to believe that some people I've talked to have no idea what is going on down there. I asked my girlfriend what she thought of the situation, and she asks if the hurricane hit them yet...

It's just disgusting and it's probably only going to get worse before it gets better. I've been watching the news every chance I get. I'm in a state of shock honestly.

Just heard on CNN, they houston astrodome is turning away refugees and telling them to find somewhere else to stay.

Mississippi has a confirmed death toll of 120

Also, in hospitals, the morgues have been flooded so they've had to leave the dead patients in the stairwells. The sad, but obvious, thing is many were not at risk of death under normal circumstances. Though, since they're leaving them in the stairwells, this further increases the chance of disease spreading.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']If you look at the Yahoo! front page, that's what it says: "New Orleans in anarchy." Have there been any reports on whether the anarchy is spreading to other places. For example, are there any reports of things happening in other states/cities where the hurricane survivors are being held?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050902/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_58[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that while there is some looting in Mississippi and Alabama it isn't nearly as bad. Almost all the video I have seen from those two states has plenty of destruction, but little flooding (which is the root of anarchy in New Orleans). There doesn't seem to be as much of a breakdown in security MS and AL.

If anyone goes to a college that has a Follett-operated store, I just got word that we are taking $1 donations on behalf of the American Red Cross at the point of sale. I'm not sure how many people may go to a college with a Follett store, but I wanted to pass that along.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050902/ts_nm/weather_katrina_reaction_dc

LONDON (Reuters) - The world has watched amazed as the planet's only superpower struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, with some saying the chaos has exposed flaws and deep divisions in American society.

World leaders and ordinary citizens have expressed sympathy with the people of the southern United States whose lives were devastated by the hurricane and the flooding that followed.

But many have also been shocked by the images of disorder beamed around the world -- looters roaming the debris-strewn streets and thousands of people gathered in New Orleans waiting for the authorities to provide food, water and other aid.

"Anarchy in the USA" declared Britain's best-selling newspaper The Sun.

"Apocalypse Now" headlined Germany's Handelsblatt daily.

The pictures of the catastrophe -- which has killed hundreds and possibly thousands -- have evoked memories of crises in the world's poorest nations such as last year's tsunami in Asia, which left more than 230,000 people dead or missing.

But some view the response to those disasters more favorably than the lawless aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"I am absolutely disgusted. After the tsunami our people, even the ones who lost everything, wanted to help the others who were suffering," said Sajeewa Chinthaka, 36, as he watched a cricket match in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

"Not a single tourist caught in the tsunami was mugged. Now with all this happening in the U.S. we can easily see where the civilized part of the world's population is."

More.....

I could have sworn that reports of people being taken advantage of during the tsunami occured too. That's really not important though.

Also, shouldn't this be a sticky topic? I mean there have been much less important things stickied recently.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']If anyone goes to a college that has a Follett-operated store, I just got word that we are taking $1 donations on behalf of the American Red Cross at the point of sale. I'm not sure how many people may go to a college with a Follett store, but I wanted to pass that along.[/QUOTE]

Cool i didnt know that...i think mines is follet operated...thanks

[quote name='GuilewasNK']

But some view the response to those disasters more favorably than the lawless aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"I am absolutely disgusted. After the tsunami our people, even the ones who lost everything, wanted to help the others who were suffering," said Sajeewa Chinthaka, 36, as he watched a cricket match in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

"Not a single tourist caught in the tsunami was mugged. Now with all this happening in the U.S. we can easily see where the civilized part of the world's population is."
[/QUOTE]

That is so true. Look at how stupid we look right now. The world's only superpower...sad.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']If you look at the Yahoo! front page, that's what it says: "New Orleans in anarchy." Have there been any reports on whether the anarchy is spreading to other places. For example, are there any reports of things happening in other states/cities where the hurricane survivors are being held?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050902/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_katrina_58 [/QUOTE]

Very good read. Bumping the link so others can see it. The state of New Orleans is truly shocking.

KANYE WEST ON NBC FUNDRAISER: 'GEORGE BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE... They're saying black families are looting and white families are just looking for food...they're giving the (Army) permission to shoot us'... Actor Mike Myers asked people to donate... then Kanye West went on a tirade about Iraq... MORE...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/randall-robinson/new-orleans_b_6643.html

It is reported that black hurricane victims in New Orleans have begun eating corpses to survive.

A catastrophe modeling firm on Friday offered one of the first estimates of economic losses from Hurricane Katrina -- $100 billion -- and said that private insurance would probably cover less than a quarter of that...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050901/480/flpc21109012015

"WHY DIDN'T YOU DEPLOY THE BUSES DURING THE MANDATORY EVACUATION, MAYOR?..."

There's just really no words I can type to describe the feeling that all of this news gives me..

You gotta turn on fox. It's heart breaking. The on the street reporters are freaking out. Geraldo is crying. And the worst thing is all day they've been pumping up on Fox about how much the president is doing. And now they're finally letting the on the street reporters talk. And they're pointing out the truth and the fox guys in the boiooths are almost in denial.

I reiterate...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Also, shouldn't this be a sticky topic? I mean there have been much less important things stickied recently.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I need to mention what it was.

Thanks for the link Scorch. My mother had a friend living in Gulfport who was too stubborn to get out. Unfortunately she isn't on the list and is probably dead. My mother pleaded with her to leave on the phone too.

I find it seriously hard to believe they are eating corpses. Just because someone heard someone's brother's sister's freind's next door neighbor said it doesnt make it true. You try getting near a bloated rotting corpse without throwing up and sitting there long enough to eat a bit of it. Nigh impossible. Not to mention it would probably kill them with all the toxins in the body.
I'll believe it when i see some proof.

I agree there is no way people would eat corpses. Dead bodies smell worse than people give them credit for you wouldn't be able to keep it down. I can't see anyone on Earth eating a human corpse before looting food from somewhere.

Oh man I watched some of the factor today and it reaffirmed my position...Shephard Smith and Geraldo are horrible horrible assholic people. Especially Geraldo. I like O'Reilly though even though a lot of people hate him haha.

It's a carnival of self delusion on Fox.

For example, on Hannity and Combs, Hannity just said that we seem to be "turning the corner" in New Orleans. That's just after he talked directly to two reporters on the ground who were flipping out saying things are just as bad. Geraldo was crying on the air, holding a baby that hadn't recieved any help from the outside for six days. And five minutes after seeing that, Hannity has the gall to say we turned the corner. The guys in the anchor chairs on fox are almost disbelieving the reports of their own reporters on the ground.

I listened to some of the Savage Nation today and the same thing happened then. They had a guy from Fox news, an anchor, and he had to defend his reporters because he was telling the truth about what it's like out there and Micheal Savage basically said that his reporters weren't telling the truth. And theguy from Fox had to defend his men on the ground.

And the worst is how the federal goverment has treated the red cross. The red cross reporteed today that the reason they have not enetered the city is becauise they have been forbidden by the federal goverment. Now, I can understand if it's a security question. It would be a disgrace if the goverment couldn't protect the red cross but at least I would understand. But that's not the reason. The reason was that the federal goverment didn't want to "encourage" people to stay in the city. They wanted people to leave the city to get help. That's from a red cross spokesman. THAT'S ABSURD! If these people could leave THEY WOULD!

But what makes it even more farcical is that the FOX reporter on the ground says that the National Guard has set up a road block on the only road out of the city and is preventing people from leaving the city. And he can see lights, and knows there's help on the other side. But the goverment won't let them go. He was freaking out.

So lets see, the goverment won't let the red cross into the city because they want people to come out of the city. But they aren't allowing the people to leave on foot from the city to the rescue centers outside the city. It's farcical.

bread's done
Back