I just bought a DS Lite from Target! Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Ravenlock']Your original post to the board about switching products / receipts didn't indicate joking in any way. On most forums I frequent, suggesting any kind of illegal activity - even in jest - is enough to get the moderators on your tail because it can get the board in hot water to have stuff like that on there.

I would think that suggesting a method of theft on a board where the primary purpose is to get games cheap would meet with an even harsher response.[/quote]

You're right... I didn't hint that I was playing around what so ever... That's the internet for you. As for the moderators not censoring the comment, oh well... Deal with it. I was playin around and you shouldn't take forums so seriously. If joking bypassing the registers which block the sale is so bad then this whole thread which people are being serious about trying to get ahold of DS Lite's early are along the exact same line of ethical blah blah blah.......

[quote name='utsava']I had pretty much given up on getting a DS lite before the street date but decided to try the Target in Riverhead, NY (Long Island) last night at around 8PM since I was in the area. Much to my surprise, there was 20+ DS lites sitting there in the case! I quickly called the closest person over to open the case and grabbed them. The kid rung me up no problem and I walked off....

No item number trick, nothing...

So anyone who is still looking to get one a few days early and is on Long Island, head over to the Target in Riverhead.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the tip, i picked one up today, there are still a shitload left if you dont mind the drive to riverhead.

[quote name='PimpitySnicket']You're right... I didn't hint that I was playing around what so ever... That's the internet for you. As for the moderators not censoring the comment, oh well... Deal with it. I was playin around and you shouldn't take forums so seriously. If joking bypassing the registers which block the sale is so bad then this whole thread which people are being serious about trying to get ahold of DS Lite's early are along the exact same line of ethical blah blah blah.......[/QUOTE]

I don't care if you were joking or not. Scamming someone is NEVER funny. I do hope someday someone scams you for real. Then we'll see if you find it funny.

For any Cincinnati Cag's....I just picked one up at the Meijer on Marburg near Ridge road. It's the one in the same area as the Target and Sam's Club. I just walked in and bought it no problem. They had two left in the case if anyone is interested and they are open 24 hours. I did stop at Target first and there were none in the case.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I don't care if you were joking or not. Scamming someone is NEVER funny. I do hope someday someone scams you for real. Then we'll see if you find it funny.[/quote]

Awwww.... Someone skipped their yoga class this morning...

[quote name='anarchyburger']grrrr i went to my local walmart and they had a nice brand new ds lite on dislay to play with i asked the guy if he had any of them and he denied it even though the one on display proves that they got their shipment of lites.... the guy was on to me though he instantly denied it wen i asked him i think he knew wat was going on he said that someone else asked him the exact same thing hmmmm i wonder if he reads this site... oh well looks like im waiting for sunday also i already got me a pre-order on it too :D[/QUOTE]

you do realize that the DS Lite displays at retailers are property of Nintendo right? our DS Lite display at TRU was installed early last week and we did not have any DS Lites in. our 360 was setup before the system came out...and so on.

I love how this street date break has brought out all the newbs and lurkers.

I suck. But I swear everyone should have to work a year in retail. Yes.

[quote name='PimpitySnicket']Awwww.... Someone skipped their yoga class this morning...[/QUOTE]

Tis okay. I caught up on it this afternoon so all is good. :D

Oh, and this is post 1,000 in this thread. Amazing.

[quote name='asianxcore']I love how this street date break has brought out all the newbs and lurkers.[/quote]

Well to be honest I certainly don't fall into either one of those yet I could of gotten a DS Lite a week ago yet I passed. Why? Because I can wait a bit, get my giftcard from CC on my DS, and use that giftcard towards a DS Lite. No biggie to wait a few weeks.

I suck. But I swear everyone should have to work a year in retail. Yes.

That is 110% right. I've been in retail for six years now (four of them with CC). You would think I would learn to quit, right. ;)

[quote name='Demolition Man']Well to be honest I certainly don't fall into either one of those yet I could of gotten a DS Lite a week ago yet I passed. Why? Because I can wait a bit, get my giftcard from CC on my DS, and use that giftcard towards a DS Lite. No biggie to wait a few weeks.

That is 110% right. I've been in retail for six years now (four of them with CC). You would think I would learn to quit, right. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm going on almost 2 years, I still haven't learned :)

I guess I get annoyed by people on this board who post "stupid employee" stories, when they don't know how things work at a said retail place. I'm not saying though, that stupid employees don't exist :).

GO DS LITE

[quote name='asianxcore']I guess I get annoyed by people on this board who post "stupid employee" stories, when they don't know how things work at a said retail place. I'm not saying though, that stupid employees don't exist :).[/QUOTE]

The sad thing is that even if you explain to some of these said people SLOWLY they still will have that misconception. I guess it is sometimes easier to believe in your own theory than what the truth is. Oh well whatever makes them sleep easy at night. ;)

[quote name='DocRamon']alright, i've got a new one for you guys...

i picked up a lite this afternoon at toys r us.

on my lunch break, i dropped by to pick up this week's new DS games. big brain academy was in a cardboard standee thing. magnetica was on the shelf. cars was sitting in the glass case behind the register. when i saw it, i looked up a couple rows and they had 4 lites. when the girl came out, i handed her my two games and she said "will there be anything else?" i asked her for a copy of cars as well. when she opened the case, i said "oh, and how much is the nintendo ds lite up there?" thinking that she'd scan it and it wouldn't allow the sale. as she brought it down she said "i actually don't know. we just got them in this morning and i put them on the shelf not even an hour ago." she scanned it... "$129.99." i said "i'll take one of those too." she rang it all up... asked me if i wanted the buyer protection plan (i declined)... bagged it all for me and wished me a nice day.

walked out of the store with 3 new games and my lite... no tricks, no codes... just asked for it. lovely.[/QUOTE]

I went to TRU today and couldn't find a "glass case behind the register". I didn't see anything anywhere around the register that had electronics or games in it at all. I asked some guy who was walking around the store with a walkie talkie about the DS lite and he gave me a very gruff "Come back on this Sunday, we can't sell them."

Meh. I'm so unlucky with this stuff.

I'm not sure about your Toys R Us, but at mine there is a huge glass display case behind the register in the Games section. If you were looking around the registers at the front of the store you were in the wrong place.

Still trying to find one around Norfolk/Newport News in time for my plane ride on Saturday....sigh!...

[quote name='keithp']I'm not sure about your Toys R Us, but at mine there is a huge glass display case behind the register in the Games section. If you were looking around the registers at the front of the store you were in the wrong place.

Still trying to find one around Norfolk/Newport News in time for my plane ride on Saturday....sigh!...[/quote]

I've checked every concievable location in the Hampton Roads area dude. This area is locked down tighter than a bull's ass on fight night. I even checked my old standby out of the way KB Toys off Military Highway. A quick look in there shows how backassward their video game section has become. Its not even worth calling now. I wonder if they even get video game shipments anymore?? Let me know if you find anything on the Peninsula. That's about as far as I am willing to go. As you might remember from my earlier post, Target Greatland in Yoder Plaza is on lockdown. Does anyone know if EB or Gamestop or even Walmart is having a Midnight launch thing for the DS Lite on Saturday???

[quote name='CoconutSport']I've checked every concievable location in the Hampton Roads area dude. This area is locked down tighter than a bull's ass on fight night. I even checked my old standby out of the way KB Toys off Military Highway. A quick look in there shows how backassward their video game section has become. Its not even worth calling now. I wonder if they even get video game shipments anymore?? Let me know if you find anything on the Peninsula. That's about as far as I am willing to go. As you might remember from my earlier post, Target Greatland in Yoder Plaza is on lockdown. Does anyone know if EB or Gamestop or even Walmart is having a Midnight launch thing for the DS Lite on Saturday???[/quote]
"Midnight Launch Thing"?! I'm feeling in Japan that way... :roll:

[quote name='asianxcore']I suck. But I swear everyone should have to work a year in retail. Yes.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. I've done about a year total in retail between Wolf Camera and Waldenbooks (both stores shut down soon after I left...victory!) and it certainly gives you perspective. It should be mandatory, like serving in the army in Israel. ;)

Incidentally, I also served a year with AmeriCorps, which makes retail look like working at Pixar.

Thankfully, all of that was a long time ago and I'm now in the world of guaranteed salary, paid vacation, and cushy health benefits. Yay! ;)

[quote name='kehcalop']Has anyone had any luck finding one in the pittsburgh area??[/quote]

Definitely not. All the stores are fully aware of the street date.

[quote name='Vin']Thanks so much for the tip, i picked one up today, there are still a shitload left if you dont mind the drive to riverhead.[/quote]

No problem Vin. I'm glad they still had them out. I would have felt bad if you drove all the way there and they had taken them off the shelf. I happen to live locally, so it wasn't such a drive. Where did you come from?

AGAIN : All Long Islanders / New Yorkers :

Target in Riverhead has around 20 units in the case for sale. I bought two, Vin bought another... so they are still there..... go get em...

[quote name='asianxcore']I swear everyone should have to work a year in retail. Yes.[/quote]
DEFINITELY! Retail and Fast Food should be mandatory because once you experience life from the other side of the counter your whole perspective towards people changes.

These "lowly" retail or foodshack workers aren't necessarily "idiots". They'll do what they can to help a customer, but for $6.75/hr then there's a limit to how much crap you'd put up with from some rude mom or smartass kid.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/the-more-expensive-ds-lite-179158.php

9,500 people inadvertently got Nintendo DS' Lites last week? hmmm. Sounds like Target's looking at almost 10 million dollars in fines levied by Nintendo. I doubt that very seriously... fines my ass. Give me my damn DS Lite!!!

DSCN2977.jpg

Picture of my lonely DS Lite case waiting for his new friend to show up...

Nintendo wont do shit about them selling early. I used to work for Coca-Cola USA and the Walmarts owned us and everything we did. Even tho we had shelf space, they would limit us to what THEY wanted. We kissed Walmarts ass so much, just to get shelf space and displays. So anyone that thinks Nintendo will/can do anything about Walmart or Target slipping some out early are so wrong.

[quote name='djago']good and for anyone else the tip I got was on that page.

try not to hit targets that say "greatland" in the logo apparently they may/maynot have 2 store rooms hence the reason that I and that other guy got fucked and dragged to electronics.

regular targets FTW remember.peace.

cred for this tip goes to:psincubus.[/quote]

One guy on here actually got a Lite at the Newport News, Virginia Target Greatland. They actually keep the units in a drawer under the digital camera display. If you can find a clueless employee with a key, you're golden. So I wouldn't count them out either.

Only three more days for those of us deciding to wait...

On a side note - do people recommend ordering the wrist strap with thumb pad from Nintendo's web site? I'm a PC FPS shooter fan, so while Metroid Prime - Hunters seems ok to play with the stylus for "mouse looking" (I tried the demo in Best Buy), it seems the thumb pad would work better.

-HM

[quote name='Hollow Man']do people recommend ordering the wrist strap with thumb pad from Nintendo's web site? I'm a PC FPS shooter fan, so while Metroid Prime - Hunters seems ok to play with the stylus for "mouse looking" (I tried the demo in Best Buy), it seems the thumb pad would work better.[/quote]

Personally, I recommend skipping MPH because its an overhyped carpal tunnel inducing bore. But as for "stylus vs thumb strap", the stylus definitely is better.

It does piss me off that the DS Lite doesnt come with a wrist strap of any kind while the white JPN version came with a matching white strap. The only reason I could figure for this is that the plastic parts on the strap will scratch up the glossy shell. What a ripoff.

[quote name='Hollow Man']Only three more days for those of us deciding to wait...

On a side note - do people recommend ordering the wrist strap with thumb pad from Nintendo's web site? I'm a PC FPS shooter fan, so while Metroid Prime - Hunters seems ok to play with the stylus for "mouse looking" (I tried the demo in Best Buy), it seems the thumb pad would work better.

-HM[/quote]
Thumb pad works much better, I'm a PC FPS fan too and tried Metroid in my friend's DS, play with thumb pad is an amazing experience for FPS fans. I heard somewhere that the wrist strap is like scratching the surface of the DS Lite's case, I don't know if Nintendo is developing one with another material...

Three more days and I'll be playing Metroid and Mario :bouncy:

Really? What is the strap made of that it would scratch the case surface of the Lite?

From what I can see, the Japanese Lite strap doesn't have the thumb pad, so I can't see them making one for the USA.

-HM

[quote name='UndyingForce']ATTENTION ILLINOIS CAGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have finally accuired a DS lite thanks to Snoods trick i believe (i forgot who first posted it)

heres my story:

i went into the target in Schaumburg IL (on higgins rd at 6:30pm) and went straight to the electronics department. i noticed that there were no DSs on display and i thought this would work to my advantage. Unfortunatly the clerk was savy (he had a mo hawk) and knew exactly what i was looking for. he told me it doesnt come out till the 11th.
So naturally i was pissed. i walked to another department (drapes or comforters) and asked some old guy to look up the DS with that DPCI # and he said we may have one. he walked me back to electronics and i thought i was doomed. he grabbed a key from the same guy that denied me and went in back and grabbed me a DS lite. i asked the old guy if i could pay at the front register (to avoid the electronics guy) but he told me i had to pay in that department.
i got rung up and the electronics guy told me that he "thought it came out the 11th" AND THE OLD GUY TOLD HIM TO PUT THE REST OF THE DS LITES ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE ARE 3 LEFT SO HURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was sweating bullets through out this whole ordeal but here i am now waiting for my DS lite to finish charging so i can kick some ass in tetris.

THANKS TO ALL!!!

ps anyone know how long it takes for the ds to charge for the first time???[/quote]

I'm a first-time poster on these forums, though I've been reading them for a while. I just wanted to thank UndyingForce for this tip; I drove out to this Target after work and was able to pick up a DS Lite (my first DS) along with a couple of games. Mohawk Man was totally cool about handing one over (from the back room, not from the glass case), and he even asked where I had heard that they had them, noting that they had only sold one today. I played it safe and just mentioned that I heard it over the Internets.

Anyhoo, thanks again, and I hope that everyone has as much luck as me! I was pretty pessimistic about actually getting one, but lady luck was certainly with me!

Can the Target buyers confirm that Target doesn't put the item's serial # on the receipt? If I can find a Target on Sunday, I may get one, then return the one I got from Overstock there. Yeah, shady I know...

[quote name='Hollow Man']Really? What is the strap made of that it would scratch the case surface of the Lite?

From what I can see, the Japanese Lite strap doesn't have the thumb pad, so I can't see them making one for the USA.

-HM[/quote]

Its just plastic on the strap, but when dealing with those glossy plastics then you dont want anything hard scraping on it when its on your pocket so maybe they learned something with the JPN model. And yes, the japanese lite strap has no thumb pad but it does have the big plastic thing at the front of the strap still. I have an imported blue DS Lite and that part does touch a little of the shell still.

But since I dont care about scratches I'd like a real response from Nintendo as to why they decided americans don't need that strap. (nintendo only sells the black strap so you can't even get the white one for the US)

Took my DS Lite into an EB Games to use the download station. One of the guys working there had a laugh because Sears "won't get anymore shipments of DS Lites" for breaking the street date. Somehow Nintendo has to identify the particular stores in the chain and make sure those stores don't get more product to sell... Of course they have to do this for all the Targets and Wal-marts out there as well... Sounds like an easy and worthwhile thing for Nintendo to spend their time on.

So Nintendo would rather withhold sales from a store instead of selling their product? Not arguing with what he said, just doesn't sound like a good business model.

If a store is selling DS Lites early, it would lead me to believe there is some opportunity for sales at this location. And why you don't then follow up with any shipments, and thus sales of your product, doesn't make sense. Whether you're penalizing that store or not, you're only losing your own future profits, too.

Unless they're so arrogant they say, "Well, Shaq-Fu this Sears, send their 20 units to the EB Games down the street instead." I guess that's possibly the point.

[quote name='Billservo']Took my DS Lite into an EB Games to use the download station. One of the guys working there had a laugh because Sears "won't get anymore shipments of DS Lites" for breaking the street date. Somehow Nintendo has to identify the particular stores in the chain and make sure those stores don't get more product to sell... Of course they have to do this for all the Targets and Wal-marts out there as well... Sounds like an easy and worthwhile thing for Nintendo to spend their time on.[/quote]

That's Total BULLSHIT!

In fact, Give me the number to that EB Games so I can call him up and tell him how full of shit he is....or is that you?

I just got mine at circuit city. Just do an online order for instore pickup. Go get it. The guy told me that next day shipping worked online too.

[quote name='chalkboy']I just got mine at circuit city. Just do an online order for instore pickup. Go get it. The guy told me that next day shipping worked online too.[/quote]

Where you at Chalk? zipcode?
It shows me none in stock all around my area =(

[quote name='chalkboy']I just got mine at circuit city. Just do an online order for instore pickup. Go get it. The guy told me that next day shipping worked online too.[/QUOTE]

Says not available online and the stores are all out of stock for me?!?

[quote name='clockworkgreen']So Nintendo would rather withhold sales from a store instead of selling their product? Not arguing with what he said, just doesn't sound like a good business model.[/QUOTE]

People are driving MILES and MILES to get this dang thing early -- you think one store being sold out will kill the sale? I don't think Nintendo is worried about demand - otherwise they wouldn't be planning to make 2 million per month:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/nintendo/even-2m-ds-lites-a-month-might-not-be-enough-179268.php

I don't know the truth about store penalties, but I think it's completely plausible they may punish some retail locations.

djago: What part of Philly are you in? I am in the Northeast, and have been checking some stores the past two days. I tried the NE Philly Target, had a lady check to see if it was in stock, but she said we had none (based on her face and the fact that she didn't even bother to ask me what it was or if I needed any additional help, she was probably informed to watch out for this stuff... so that store has been crossed off the list).

I also tried the Neshaminy Target, but got pulled to the Electronics section for help. The guy there gave me the street date deal, and as I was walking out, him and some other people conversed about it. So, I think that store is pretty well guarded as well. Seems like the whole Northeast US isn't a good place to get a Lite early.

As for ordering from CC online for in-store pickup, all of the stores around here show out of stock (this was during the time it supposedly worked yesterday). The Wal-Marts have nothing, and Sam's Club is holding tight to the release date as well. The funny thing is, for every place I have been to, there are no DS Lite displays (demo units or signs). I guess they are waiting till the very last minute in an attempt to sell the original DS's they still have.

So, I guess it's time to give up. Let me know if you have luck anywhere.

[quote name='erunama']The funny thing is, for every place I have been to, there are no DS Lite displays (demo units or signs). I guess they are waiting till the very last minute in an attempt to sell the original DS's they still have.[/QUOTE]
Same here, and I was wondering if that was the case. I mean, there are obviously quite a few DS Phats out there, and unless they get a price drop, they aren't gonna be too attractive to buyers after Sunday.

I wonder if there have been any memos regarding this within the major retail chains? That would be interesting to read.

The thing I wonder about is advertising. I've read a little bit about a new campaign for the Lite, but has it broken yet? I've seen nothing, but I haven't watched much TV lately.

Any TV or print ads out there yet?

It seems like they are holding off on any big marketing pushes until they get more out to stores, maybe.

Sorry... rambling.

Like I said before, we here in the Northeast of the USA are more or less not going to see the Lite early. A few people are lucky (like the Long Island people who found a Target willing to sell), but that's the only case I've heard of. They're strict about street date here.

It's 2.5 days until official release now. While it sucks for those who will be traveling or working on Sunday, it just isn't so far away anymore that I'm willing to go nuts trying to convince a store to sell me one.

But I have seen and used a demo unit in quite a few stores, including Wal-Mart, EB Games, and Software Etc.

-HM

Is there something specific about the Northeast in general and New England specifically that keeps us from cashing in like other parts of the country?

[quote name='Tyvan']That's Total BULLSHIT!

In fact, Give me the number to that EB Games so I can call him up and tell him how full of shit he is....or is that you?[/quote]

What's so "BULLSHIT" about what I wrote? I just reported my experience and speculated on the likeliness of Nintendo being able or willing to follow through with what was claimed.

[quote name='El Gray']

Any TV or print ads out there yet?

[/QUOTE]

I've seen a number of TV ads for it. The New Super Mario Bros ad uses the DS Lite in it and I think I saw another ad specifically for the system. Both ads say June 11th at the end of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back