I just bought a DS Lite from Target! Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked mine up at Target this morning. They didn't have it on the shelf yet so there was some radio traffic about it but eventually someone came from the back with two cases of DS Lites. I'd imagine that was a fairly standard allotment--two cases, 6-8 per case (couldn't tell the exact number).

Not sure anyone else in the store even walked towards electronics, so hopefully it is easy to score one today.

I got mine from a Wal-Mart Supercenter at 6:30 this morning. They were not on the shelf and I ended up having to ask the manager to check in the back. He came back and said there was only ONE unit in the back. This is the same Wal-Mart that I checked with about a week ago. At that time there was ONE DS Lite box in the glass cabinet but the register wouldn't allow it to be rung up. I wonder if this is the same one.

I picked mine up at Target earlier, they didn't have any on the shelf, but I asked the guy and he got one from the back for me. It's charging now, but it looks so cool.

[quote name='kdelane']the dslite needs to be charged when u first use it? i thought it was charged already[/quote]
3 to 4 hours.

It probably comes with some charge from the factory. It will vary with each unit. If it does, just play and enjoy. Lithium Ion batteries are great - you can basically charge and use willy-nilly without affecting it adversely.

-HM

finally got my ds lite despite my walmart last night saying they didnt have it or had no clue wtf the ds lite was. had to wait like 30 minutes cause they couldn't find the key securing the ds lites, meh

the ds lite is half charged out of the box. it's half charged to preserve battery life. you don't need to charge it right away but obviously you won't be able to play it very long

Just got back from Target with a DS Lite. Got there 2 hours after the store opened (didn't know they opened that early on Sunday), but they still had a good 9 left. I guess that's one (very small) perk from living in a small town.

If anyone in S. Illinois or St. Louis, MO needs one and doesn't mind the drive, Alton, IL Target is where I picked mine up.

(Also, does the DS Lite not come with a lanyard / thumb stylus thingie the way the old model did? Mine didn't have one.)

it's 8:40a here in Cupertino, CA...

tempted by the coupon @ BB, but couldn't wait another 3 hours 'til they open (had been working the Graveshift)

5 people, including me, went straight to the Electronics dept at the Stevens Creek store at 8a, all purchasing the Coveted...

had overheard Electronics cashier say to the Lead "there's about 24-30 available today..."

I don't know if that included the ones in the display case.

picked up NintenDogs (Lab edition)

Dark79: unfort., the Lite doesn't come with a strap. The Japanese one does, but even their version doesn't have the thumbpad.

Got ours (via preorder) at EB Games at opening - no one else was there. Manager confirmed they got 12 in and 11 were for preorders. Opened it in the car - no dead pixels. My girlfriend and I did a quick Pictochat session in the car - heh. She has been playing hers for about 45 minutes with no sign of the battery dying yet. Not sure what the default brightness is.

It's a really beautiful looking thing.

EDIT: I spoke too soon - her Animal Crossing just told her to save because battery was running low, and sure enough, the red light was on.

-HM

[quote name='dark79']Just got back from Target with a DS Lite. Got there 2 hours after the store opened (didn't know they opened that early on Sunday), but they still had a good 9 left. I guess that's one (very small) perk from living in a small town.

If anyone in S. Illinois or St. Louis, MO needs one and doesn't mind the drive, Alton, IL Target is where I picked mine up.

(Also, does the DS Lite not come with a lanyard / thumb stylus thingie the way the old model did? Mine didn't have one.)[/quote]
No thumb stylus for Lites here too, that sucks.

Just got one from CC. I thought I was gonna get both the Mario bundle and Brain Age for free, but it wouldn't ring up right at the electronics counter, and the girl at the front desk said I could only have one or the other . Oh well.

I just exchanged the DS lite I bought a week ago and theres no dead pixels on the bottom screen, but on the top screen theres little white ones on the left hand side. Should I exchange it again or just send it into Nintendo?

Just picked up a DSL with free brain age and best buy and I am pretty sure Best Buy had about 50 of them and I am pretty sure my girlfriend was the only one to grab one from there.

After that I decided I wanted one so we took my old ds and a bunch of old games over to ebgames and grabbed the only DSL that was not a preorder. They are still in their packages since I have to pack for our vacation tomorrow. BTW I bought the replacement plans on both of them.

Got mine from Gamestop this mroning. Woot! Stopped into the Target next door to pick up a few things and they had about 16 left. Looked like eight had already been sold, from the empty shelf space.

I ended up getting another one at Best Buy for my nephew this morning so I was able to snag the free Brain Age for myself. Of course, the sales reps wouldn't let us get the units until he finished his extra warranty monologue.

I'm tempted to get the extra warranty but wonder if some of the claims the sales rep are true. Will the BB warranty cover things like scratches?

[quote name='kloda']I ended up getting another one at Best Buy for my nephew this morning so I was able to snag the free Brain Age for myself. Of course, the sales reps wouldn't let us get the units until he finished his extra warranty monologue.

I'm tempted to get the extra warranty but wonder if some of the claims the sales rep are true. Will the BB warranty cover things like scratches?[/QUOTE]

Those extended warranties thing are a real ripoff. It's basically a way for BB to make free money for the company. As such, they force employees to sell them at the cost of their jobs (they'll tell you they don't work on commission, which is true, but if they don't sell enough of those extended warranties, they'll get the axe), so they'll say just about anything to get you to buy them.

Good luck to you if you ever have to actually use the warranty as BB will do everything in their power to put the blame on you thereby clearing them of actually having to honoring it.

There are very few cases where you really need to buy the extended warranty (mostly Sony products) but Nintendo tends to have really good quality control. I seriously doubt BB will honor a scratched unit. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to make a sale (maybe losing his job soon?). Back when BB used to sell PDA's they used to advertise the extended warranty as a free upgrade policy to easy get a new, more current model whenever you wanted for the life of the warranty - that didn't last too long.

So yeah, avoid those extended warranties unless you don't mind fighting with managers when you actually need to use it.

Normally I would agree with whoever says "Extended Warranties are a rip-off" because they generally are (except, I guess, on some huge ticket items like plasma TVs). However, I must say that I have had no trouble whatsoever with Best Buy Product Replacement Plans.

I first got one about 4 years ago on my Creative Jukebox Zen because I wasn't into iPods and the rep told me that if anything happened to the product in 2 years I could just send it back and they would give me what I paid for it (minus the $40 cost for the PRP and in store credit, of course). She also said that I could sent it back, even if there wasn't anything wrong with it, to upgrade if I wanted. I was skeptical, but I was young and naive and it sounded like a good deal.

Cut to 2 years later and I decided it was time for me to jump on the iPod bandwagon. The Zen wasn't broken, but the battery life had dwindled somewhat and I sent it back to Best Buy. Sure enough, a few weeks later a slip with $300+ in store credit came in the mail. With this money I bought an iPod and the PRP again.

To make a long story longer, recently I decided to send this iPod back to best buy because the battery lasted about an hour on full charge. I sent it back to best buy and a few weeks later, nothing had come in the mail so I gave the company a call. They said they hadn't received the product even though I had sent it nearly a month before. So she said she would just mark the item as lost in the mail and would send the card with the store credit immediately. The following week I got the card with $300+ on it. I don't even know if they ever got the iPod.

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to share my experience with the Best Buy product replacement plan. Now, I think they actually have a different company handle the PRPs and maybe that's why you get such great service with them. The Best Buy Performance Service Plans (PSPs) are probably a different story.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Normally I would agree with whoever says "Extended Warranties are a rip-off" because they generally are (except, I guess, on some huge ticket items like plasma TVs). However, I must say that I have had no trouble whatsoever with Best Buy Product Replacement Plans.

I first got one about 4 years ago on my Creative Jukebox Zen because I wasn't into iPods and the rep told me that if anything happened to the product in 2 years I could just send it back and they would give me what I paid for it (minus the $40 cost for the PRP and in store credit, of course). She also said that I could sent it back, even if there wasn't anything wrong with it, to upgrade if I wanted. I was skeptical, but I was young and naive and it sounded like a good deal.

Cut to 2 years later and I decided it was time for me to jump on the iPod bandwagon. The Zen wasn't broken, but the battery life had dwindled somewhat and I sent it back to Best Buy. Sure enough, a few weeks later a slip with $300+ in store credit came in the mail. With this money I bought an iPod and the PRP again.

To make a long story longer, recently I decided to send this iPod back to best buy because the battery lasted about an hour on full charge. I sent it back to best buy and a few weeks later, nothing had come in the mail so I gave the company a call. They said they hadn't received the product even though I had sent it nearly a month before. So she said she would just mark the item as lost in the mail and would sent the store credit card immediately. The following week I got the card with $300+ on it. I don't even know if they ever got the iPod.

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to share my experience with the Best Buy product replacement plan. Now, I think they actually have a different company handle the PRPs and maybe that's why you get such great service with them. The Best Buy Performance Service Plans (PSPs) are probably a different story.[/QUOTE]

I say it's a good idea when buying something you want long term AND is expensive. I always check the company warrany before buying an in-store warranty. Both sony and nintendo have a 1 year warranty which is good enough IMHO.

Anyone who picks up a Lite with a dead pixel should give nintendo a call. A few minutes of your time will get you a replacement without a single dime. the only cost is your time wasted doing this.

got mine at Gamestop this morning, went to target real quick before gamestop opened, just to get a few things, they had a crap load. so yeah....lovin it! no dead pixels!

[quote name='NeoFrank1']Normally I would agree with whoever says "Extended Warranties are a rip-off" because they generally are (except, I guess, on some huge ticket items like plasma TVs). However, I must say that I have had no trouble whatsoever with Best Buy Product Replacement Plans.

To make a long story longer, recently I decided to send this iPod back to best buy because the battery lasted about an hour on full charge. I sent it back to best buy and a few weeks later, nothing had come in the mail so I gave the company a call. They said they hadn't received the product even though I had sent it nearly a month before. So she said she would just mark the item as lost in the mail and would send the card with the store credit immediately. The following week I got the card with $300+ on it. I don't even know if they ever got the iPod.

Sorry this is so long, but I just wanted to share my experience with the Best Buy product replacement plan. Now, I think they actually have a different company handle the PRPs and maybe that's why you get such great service with them. The Best Buy Performance Service Plans (PSPs) are probably a different story.[/QUOTE]

The PRP's probably aren't too bad because you're dealing with a 3rd party, not Best But, but the PSP's are a different story. Unless this have changed since I last dealt with it, PSP'd items have to go through the computer repair people. If they can't reproduce the problem, or if they "detect" user inflicted damage, they deny the warranty.

When people complained about Tungsten T3's dim screens (which affected only some of the units) BB techs would turn it on and just say that since they can read what's on the screen, there's no need for replacement.

Personally I steer clear of Best Buy in general (I like them about as much as I like Wal-Mart), but next time I'm looking for something that can be covered with a PRP, I might check them out if they're really that easy to deal with. PSP's though, are another story for me =)

In the end though, if a sales person makes a claim you think is fishy (like the exchange for scratched unit) ask them to put it in writing. You'll need it when talking to management ;)

[quote name='gizmogc']Anyone find on at Costco?[/quote]
Had checked Costco.com for any DSLite info; no dice.

am planning a run down to my nearby Costco tomorrow, and will keep an eye out for it...

Stopped by my Costco and they don't even sell any videogames.

Went to Game Crazy and traded in some stuff and walked out with a free DS Lite. Bought the 1 year warranty so I can switch it out when a new color comes out.

[quote name='AshesofWake']got mine at Gamestop this morning, went to target real quick before gamestop opened, just to get a few things, they had a crap load. so yeah....lovin it! no dead pixels![/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm digging the New Super Mario Brothers! :D

Having fun with Brain Age, and the free case from CC is pretty decent as well, so actually worked out well that I didn't find one last week when I just missed out on some at a couple local targets. Worth a weeks wait for $30 of decent freebies.

Super impressed with the lite, you see colors and details in games you never new were there before.

Got mine from Best Buy as well. My area preatty much was full of DS Lites. I got mine at 6:30 pm. So if you wanted one you could easily find one.

the sad part is after playing my DS all day and then goign to play my PSP, I felt the PSP was bulky and clunky... I use to think it the other way around. Maybe this will make Sony consider a system remake with a brighter screen, but before they do that they need to find a more powerful battery.

The other crazy part is that the new DS lite has more battery time than the standard DS. Almost double.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']the sad part is after playing my DS all day and then goign to play my PSP, I felt the PSP was bulky and clunky... I use to think it the other way around. Maybe this will make Sony consider a system remake with a brighter screen, but before they do that they need to find a more powerful battery.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because they won't be losing enough money with the production cost of the PS3. :roll:

YEAH!!!! my DS Lite case has finally got some friends to play with!!!!
DSCN2978.jpg

Part of my DS collection..

Just like Naughty by Nature, I'm down with a discount!

hehe

Has anyone tried returning an EB/GS preordered DS Lite to Target? I bought a Lite early from Target a bit over a week ago and just now got back from vacation. I'm heading out to EB to pick up my preordered Lite and then going to Target to see if they'll take it.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Has anyone tried returning an EB/GS preordered DS Lite to Target? I bought a Lite early from Target a bit over a week ago and just now got back from vacation. I'm heading out to EB to pick up my preordered Lite and then going to Target to see if they'll take it.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be easier just to cancel your preorder?

[quote name='CoconutSport']YEAH!!!! my DS Lite case has finally got some friends to play with!!!!
DSCN2978.jpg

Part of my DS collection..

Just like Naughty by Nature, I'm down with a discount!

hehe[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but because you actually own Sprung, you must surrender your DS Lite immediately. :roll:

[quote name='DustBoogie']Does that case actually have like, slots for all those games, or did you just put them in there to show off?[/quote]

Nope, the case doesn't have pockets inside like the "DS fat's" Nintendo case. There is however, a zippered pocket on the outside that has mesh on the outside of the it, but some cloth inside keeps it from being see through. It can hold as many carts and you want it to, but starts to look ridiculous with all the ones I've got in the photo crammed in there. So, 4 at the most with one in the DS Lite seems reasonable enough to carry around.

As far as surrendering my DS Lite because I have Sprung? Tybee I think you're just jealous. If you want, you can borrow it from me. hehehe. honestly, I got it used last year at EB for $9.99 each along with Tiger Woods and Feel the Magic. I was curious about it. Its okay. not good enough to inspire a sequel, but okay.

[quote name='Swift900']Wouldn't it be easier just to cancel your preorder?[/quote]
I preordered entirely on store credit, meaning I didn't pay an actual cent, just credit from trade-ins. I bought the one from Target because I wanted it early and knew/thought I could return the Lite from EB for a refund, therefore still not paying any money for it aside from gas.

I'm leaving in a few minutes so we'll see what happens.

random check of zip codes on CircuitCity are showing out of stock around the bay area (specifically SF, Daly City, Hayward, South Bay)

I wonder if the real-time inventory check is off due to the Mario/Brain Game promo?

OMIGOD!!! after all these years, that awesome and elusive feeling that you got when you first played Yoshi's Island has returned when I played New Super Mario Bros on my DS Light. After years of searching, and replaying all the old super mario bros to get even a glimmer of that warm tingly nostalgic sensation. Well Done Miyamato and Company.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Target took the DS Lite that I got from EB, no questions asked, and fully refunded it.[/QUOTE]

Do you think this'll work if I took the DSLite that I got from Circuit City and returned it to Target (I also picked up a DSLite earlier)? Don't they have dififerent serial #'s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back